PDA

View Full Version : How are Tau?

Tastyfish
01-02-2007, 14:14
Following on from the Ork thread, anyone had a go with the Tau yet? I've got reasonable Kor contingent of 2 Tigersharks and 6 Baracudas in my epic force so they seem the obvious ones to go with (though I could be tempted with Eldar, think my opponents will be going for Imperials and Orks though) however from the odd snippets of information I've seen about them they sound like the could be a little boring - a list that is 75% transports, no bombers, focused at long range, not that maneuvable and with only small quantities of ammo.

Are they actually a lot more fun than they sound, or should I ditch the idea of getting a Manta and look at getting another race instead?

Iracundus
01-02-2007, 14:22
The Tigershark is already the Tau's equivalent of a bomber. They deploy drones and strafe with their guns and missiles. Only the Imperium/Chaos/Orks seem to use the theme of freefall bombs.

Spacker
01-02-2007, 14:22
I had fun with them despite being killed off by turn 6. Just remember to fire the drones - I kept forgetting, especially when aircraft were tailing me :|

I'll definitely be trying mine out again soon, especially as the Eldar Vampire and Nightwings won't be with me till the end of the month :(

Nemoyo
01-02-2007, 14:57
The Barracuda is a very capable fighter and the drone turrets are very useful, it is better at short to medium ranges though, I only use a long range shot to try and hit any fighters trying to disengage near the end of the game. It also has the lowest minimum speed of any mainline fighter in the game, factor in yo-yoing and sometimes you can reduce move the distance of a maneuver card.

The Tigershark has decent forward firepower, but it's low maneuverability means it is best to approach targets at angle, but expect to use the turn maneuver alot.

AX-1-0s look very interesting, particularly as their seeker missile option can hit air to air and those railguns should hammer ground targets.

grave digger
01-02-2007, 16:00
The Tigershark is already the Tau's equivalent of a bomber. They deploy drones and strafe with their guns and missiles. Only the Imperium/Chaos/Orks seem to use the theme of freefall bombs.

Feel I should mention, Orks do not have freefall bombs. The two craft they have are both classified as Fighters so the bombs can only be used on a strafing run:(

Don't have the book with me but I seem to recall that the Ion Cannon on the Barracuda has 5 shots and can reach out to 18". That's pretty darn good to me for a basic shooter. Plus (I think and am probably wrong) they can take Smart Missiles to hit ground targets. Good multi tasker.

Diggs

Nemoyo
01-02-2007, 16:29
The Ion Cannon can hit at 18" but it is not very effective at that range and it only gets 4 shots :S

grave digger
02-02-2007, 00:23
Oops, it's the Tiger Shark. My bad.

Still, it can shoot at extreme range, not many other guns can do that.

Diggs

njbumper
04-02-2007, 04:30
YOU should try the MANTA pretty awesome

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
04-02-2007, 14:59
I think it is kind of weird that the almost Spaceship MANTA is faster than a BARRACUDA. Over all: the Manta is THE fastest Tau flyer. I will get one :D