PDA

View Full Version : Could a Marauder list work?

Delusionist
01-02-2007, 14:29
So today I got this crazy idea about a themed army. As Chaos (IMO) is based on Vikings ("Satanic" gods, horns on helms, marauders, they live in the north and so on.) I'm going to do a Viking themed army.

I was thinking of making a Chaos army with a Nordic mythology theme. The big problem is that Chaos warriors don't really fit in. Vikings should be barbaric fighters with not too much armour. They should also be skilled warriors, but I think I'll have to sacrifice that as I don't want to have well armoured troops. (If I have to I could use one unit (no chaos armour though) and use the empire guys featured in Storm of Chaos)

To understand this list one should know a bit about Nordic mythology. I was thinking of having a Chaos lord (Odin) with some kind of spear ridin on an eight legged horse (possibly a steed of slaanesh). Then a hero (Thor) in a Chariot with a really really powerful magic weapon. These would be the main characters, and all other characters should be Gods (or maybe some tribe champion).

So I would have a lot of Marauders and possibly marauder horsemen. I was also thinking of using Centigor rules for some better horse men (the drunken rule fits perfectly).

I have some other ideas, and I guess I'll come up with more. This is a theme army, so it doesn't matter if I don't win with it. But it would be nice to at least stand a chance.

So is it possible?

forgottenlor
01-02-2007, 14:42
If you took masses of marauders supported by chariots and light calvary it could work. You'd have to use the hordes of foot troops (numbers & rank bonus) together with the calvary (to charge the flank) and the chariots (for hitting power). Then it work sort of like an orc & goblin army. You might want to look at how they use their tactics.

Negativemoney
01-02-2007, 14:43
If you are willing to use a special character take Crom as he will give your marauder units MoCU which will be more help than anything else you can think of. Plus he is only 230 points :). Also having him with a unit of warriors with MoCU surrounded by Marauders would look very nice.

Catferret
01-02-2007, 14:47
The Warriors do fit in. Treat them as Huscarls! Full length chainmail and a big shield. Don't upgrade them to Chosen though.

I play a Marauder heavy Chaos force. i had the same idea as you, a Marauder tribe. I have no Knights and only one unit of Warriors. I also use the Flayerkin rules to represent Norse Berzerkers. They fit quite well as a skirmishing multiple Attacks unit. I have a mixture of weapons on different models in the unit to account for the S4 and Killing Blow.

Inkosi
01-02-2007, 15:03
if you want to go marauder heavy then Crom's horde is the way to go.

at his points cost, Crom is very effective and the MoU he brings along for the marauders is priceless.

Briohmar
01-02-2007, 15:05
The Warriors do fit in. Treat them as Huscarls! Full legth chainmail and a big shield. Don't upgrade them to Chosen though.

Drat, Someone beat me to it. Sure the Warriors do have a place in a Norse army, they are the elite warriors of the tribe, often called Huscarls. Knights and chariots would be right out, but marauders of all flavors would definitely work. I use two large units and two horse units in my force, and they generally do well. Beast herds would also work well to represent the berserkers, and the Viking warriors of the tribe.

Hywel
01-02-2007, 15:44
I'm not a boffin on Norse mythology, but wouldn't those Valkyrie women be aptly represented by furies?

Also, isn't a "Jotun" or something a giant of sorts in such myths? There's a somewhat appropriate entry in the chaos list for this. :p

Delusionist
01-02-2007, 17:40
Thanks a lot for the replies so far.

Well, I guess I could use the warriors, but I have to find better models.

I'm affraid I can't use Crom unless I find a God for him to represent, or pherhaps he could be the tribe leader. Hm... I have to think about that.

The Valkyries could also be represented by Daemonettes on steeds. I was thinking of making the list a somewhat Slaanseh, as that would allow me to give Odin the mark of Slaanesh and so give him a movement of 10 :D

I'd also want to use Khorne, but that might be a bit hard to do.

And pitty that I can only use one Chariot. Thor is the only one who gets one.

I think I'll go for the Centigor rules for one unit. They look pretty hard hitting to me.

So anyone got any good idea about what models to use. I need a horse that I can model 8 legs to, something to use instead of warriors, a very very norse model to be the tribe leader (Crom) (I think I'll do that at 3000pts, I want to have Odin as my first Lord, or maybe I could use some other lesser God in 2000pts).

pcgamer72
01-02-2007, 19:53
Since Thor is in a chariot, and you want him to have a "really really powerful magic weapon," you should probably go with the Berserker Sword. This will allow him to have an insane amount of attacks and really dish out the hurt when combined with the chariot Impact hits!

Negativemoney
01-02-2007, 20:26
Crom is a dead ringer for Tyr.

Briohmar
01-02-2007, 20:58
Crom is a dead ringer for Tyr.

Except Crom still has both hands, but yeah, you could probably get away with it.

Negativemoney
01-02-2007, 21:06
It could always be pre-Fenris Tyr :).

EvC
01-02-2007, 22:52
Don't forget you have access to Norse Berserker DoW units!

Delusionist
02-02-2007, 06:17
But do the rules for Crom still work? And is it possible to get Teutogen Guard anymore, as they looks pretty Viking to me. And can anyone think of any other models to use?

And I need a really big horse, so is it possible to model four more legs to Archons horse, and where could I find that big legs?

I have to check out Crom, as his rules look pretty nice.

Neknoh
02-02-2007, 09:16
With a nordic Mythology theme, do note that Chosen Warriors are probably THE most fitting choice to put in the army if it is the army of Asgård, for there were the Einhärjar, the warriors who died in battle and got to drink at the table of Odin.

For Odin himself, I would go for a Lord of Chaos Undivided on a Daemonic Steed with the Runesword and the Gaze of the Gods.

For Thor, I would take an Exalted Champion with the Mark of Khorne with a Berserker Sword (name it Mjolnir) mounted in a chariot of Khorne, remember, Frei was the god of ordered battle, Thor was the god of unordered battle (yes, Frei WAS also the god of fertillity and Thor was also the god of thunder, but they also represent an aspect of war, and note, that Frei had a sword who did the fighting for him, so, to represent him in 3k, take a Beastlord with mark of Slaanesh and the Daemonsword).

For Chosen knights, use valcyries
For marauders, use tribesmen
For warriors, Huskarls
For Chosen Warriors, Einhärjar
For warhounds (well, duh)
For Marauder Horsemen, mounted Tribesmen

And do NOT put horns on the helmets of the Marauders!!!!!

EDIT: And Hywel, Jotuns were the arch enemies of the gods :rolleyes:

Delusionist
02-02-2007, 10:23
Thanks for the ideas. In a way I like the whole horn thing, just because the story behind them is so funny.

The Knights and all do fit in if I make it a Asgard army. It might acctually be more interseting than making a Viking tribe army. I just have to think of models to use instead of Knights. They don't looks very nordic to me.

The whole mark thing is a bit hard, as I'd acctually want Odin to be a mage to, but if I did that I'd have to use the lore of Change, and I don't like it too much.

Briohmar
02-02-2007, 13:08
Thanks for the ideas. In a way I like the whole horn thing, just because the story behind them is so funny.

The Knights and all do fit in if I make it a Asgard army. It might acctually be more interseting than making a Viking tribe army. I just have to think of models to use instead of Knights. They don't looks very nordic to me.

The whole mark thing is a bit hard, as I'd acctually want Odin to be a mage to, but if I did that I'd have to use the lore of Change, and I don't like it too much.

Well you could give him the book of...uh...um...damn, I forgot what its called right now, and my army book is in the trunk of my car, which is a long walk upstairs and through two check points from here. at any rate, it makes a character a level one mage, as well as a warrior. As for sleipner, Archaon's horse is the most likely candidate for the conversion, but I don't think I'd want to try it.
I like the idea of Valkyries in place of chaos knights, but then you have the same problem that I do, which is creating female chaos knights. I'm actually using sisters of battle seraphim as the basis for my conversions. Just a thought that I thought I'd share.

Delusionist
02-02-2007, 13:27
Thanks for the idea.

I'll figure something out for the Valkyries, I thought of using Deamonettes (mounted), but I'm not really keen on taking any daemons, so I think I'll go with knights.

Does anyone have models for mounted Daemonettes? Is it possible to mount them on horses without much converting? Or are they already mounted on their steeds?

Do you think anyone would mind if I found some horsemenand gave them loads of beer and weapons and used the rules for Centigors?

I'll leave Odin for now, I have to get a bit better at converting first. Archaons horse looks nice, I think I'll use it.

Also do you think Warriors look Vikingish? Or would Teutogen Guard look better?

Briohmar
02-02-2007, 17:13
The old Mounted Daemonettes are fairly easy to work with, and can make for some cool conversions. I used their legs, and put different upper bodies on for my pleasure seekers. They could work as well for chaos Knight I think.

Delusionist
02-02-2007, 17:52
How can I find the Old Daemonettes? Do they looks feminine? And they should look beautiful.

I'll try to post some kind of list soon. I think I'll include a lot of Marauders and some kind of Champion for them. I will aim for a 750pt army, and I don't think I'll include any one of the Gods yet. I might include a unit of warriors, but I'm sure I will include a couple of big blocks of Marauders, a couple of units of Marauders horsemen, and some really drunk warriors (straight out from the tavern:D ) with Centigor rules.

Then to 1000pt I might add Tor in his Chariot, but he may be a bit costy so I'll have to see about that.

Briohmar
03-02-2007, 08:02
Older mounted 'nettes are readily available on ebay. just do a search for Slaanesh, and you'll turn up ten or more auctions (usually) with old mounted 'nettes.

Delusionist
03-02-2007, 08:16
Are the old ones the ones with hige claws?

I'd like my Valkyries to be as beautiful as possible, and it's a bonus if they are somewhat naked, as that fits my image of Valkyries the best. However it would be really really expensive to use mounted daemonettes as I'd have to buy the whole models and then by doing some wierd converting mount them on horses.

Neknoh
03-02-2007, 09:00
Use Dark Elf darkriders (the ones with their helmets exposed so you can add the wings), model boobies onto the armour (armoured boobies, not exposed ones), put them on the Wood Elf Glade Rider steeds, give the steeds some sort of chainmail barding and then give them thar horses some pegasus wings

EvC
03-02-2007, 12:09
Armoured boobies? This is heresy!

Catferret
03-02-2007, 12:22
Use Dark Elf darkriders (the ones with their helmets exposed so you can add the wings), model boobies onto the armour (armoured boobies, not exposed ones), put them on the Wood Elf Glade Rider steeds, give the steeds some sort of chainmail barding and then give them thar horses some pegasus wings

Or add more chainmail to plastic Pegasi. Far cheaper I think.

Revlid
03-02-2007, 12:28
I had this idea a while ago, and may still do it... Someday...

Chaos Dragon = Nidhogg
Chaos Lord = Hersir
Marauders = Marauders
Marauder Horsemen = Marauder Horsemen
Chaos Warriors = Huscarls
Chaos Knights = Jarls
Chosen Warriors = Einherjar
Beast Herds = Viking Raiders (Marauders + Marauders with Spears)
Trolls = Trolls
Giant = Jotun
Furies = Nidhogg Hatchlings (Classic Tyranid Gargoyles + Greenstuff)
Mounted Daemonettes = Valkryie of Sla (Glade Riders+Greenstuff)
Daemonettes = Shieldmaidens of Sla
Plaguebearers = Draugh of Njorg (Zombies)
Nurglings = Njorglings
Flesh Hounds = Fenrir of Kjorn
Bloodletters = Berserkers of Kjorn (Marauders + Greenstuff)
Horrors = Stormcrows of Tchar (Greenstuff)
Screamers = Changeravens of Tchar (Warhawks + Greenstuff)

Neknoh
03-02-2007, 12:31
Hrmmm... could work for a bulkier and more knightish look to the pegasi of the valcyries problem being that the cloth needs to be removed from the pegasus (lest you file all heraldry and all edges away and cover it in chainmail)

Catferret
03-02-2007, 12:33
That was what I would do if i was to make valkyries. On the other hand, I like sculpting chainmail...

Neknoh
03-02-2007, 12:33
I had this idea a while ago, and may still do it... Someday...

Chaos Dragon = Nidhogg
Chaos Lord = Hersir
Marauders = Marauders
Marauder Horsemen = Marauder Horsemen
Chaos Warriors = Huscarls
Chaos Knights = Jarls
Chosen Warriors = Einherjar
Beast Herds = Viking Raiders (Marauders + Marauders with Spears)
Trolls = Trolls
Giant = Jotun
Furies = Nidhogg Hatchlings (Classic Tyranid Gargoyles + Greenstuff)
Mounted Daemonettes = Valkryie of Sla (Glade Riders+Greenstuff)
Daemonettes = Shieldmaidens of Sla
Plaguebearers = Draugh of Njorg (Zombies)
Nurglings = Njorglings
Flesh Hounds = Fenrir of Kjorn
Bloodletters = Berserkers of Kjorn (Marauders + Greenstuff)
Horrors = Stormcrows of Tchar (Greenstuff)
Screamers = Changeravens of Tchar (Warhawks + Greenstuff)

That would be a 3k army with Galrauch I take it, in fact, Galrauch have VERY fitting rules to represent Nidhögg

Hywel
03-02-2007, 12:55
Regarding the valkyries... Morathi's body seems to fit your requirements provided you're a skilled enough converter to inject enough variety into a unit's worth of them. I've very successfully made a slaaneshi chaos knight from her.

Delusionist
04-02-2007, 00:15
Thanks a lot for the ideas, I'd love to have nidhogg, but that wouls require a large army as I want Odin as my first lord.

I love the Centigor rules, they are so Viking. But I'm not sure what people would think about it, as I'd use normal horsemen with lots of wepons and beer (I got a lot of Dwarf stuff left).

The Valkyries are not a problem anymore, as I won't use them before I have Odin, and that will take a while. The new VC will be out by then, and I thik I'll have loads of models to chose from when I get there.

As I said I will aim for a Marauder heavy force at first, and then build it up with warriors, knights and gods to represent the mythological side of the army.

Neknoh
04-02-2007, 10:46
Nidhogg and Odin in the same army is what I would call a nono

Delusionist
04-02-2007, 11:32
Sorry, I was really tired and I didn't even stop to think about how the fit together.

I however think I'll keep the army related to Viking life, and I'll try to make it as accurate (historicaly) as possible. And then later I'll add some mythological elements, as Tor and Odin.