PDA

View Full Version : Marines Malevolent?

Commander Garro
18-07-2005, 01:08
I wanting to make a Marines Malevolent army soon. The only background I can find is on the Armageddon 3 website. The traits I'm thinking of using are No Mercy,No Respite(Represent the Ruthlessness of the Chapter) and We Stand Alone(The Arrogance and Superiority complex they have) what units should i include to make a fluffy army?(going to go to 1500pts)...
At the moment all's I can think of putting in are Whirlwinds, Devastator Dreadnoughts, and Devastator Squads....
Also does anyone know of anyone that plays Marines Malevolent? or if there's any other background on them?(tried searchy but found nothing)

Jal'knock
18-07-2005, 01:29
Besides from the stuff in the Armageddon campaign I've no clue as to any fluff sources for them. Although I'd say that playing them with those options would be good, just represent them accordingly in your own personal army fluff.

worldshatterer
18-07-2005, 07:17
The Armageddon fluff is all there is for the Marines Malevolent . One of my mates plays them, used to be Hideki on the old forums iirc . He just played them as fairly codex marines, and got good painting scroes at the Portent tournie for having an original army .

Inquis. Jaeger
18-07-2005, 08:54
Hey I played against Hideki at the Portent Tounie 2004. It was fairly original. I'd disagree on the well-painted bit but he was a nic eguy to play against.

Don't happen to know Zark the Damned do you? (MILK ME!)

As to the actual topic of this thread (sorry for the ramblings), as far as I'm aware, the only fluff is on the Armageddon 3 website. Good luck - try Google?

Karhedron
18-07-2005, 10:34
Hmm, the fluff mentions shelling a refugee camp. Maybe including a Whirlwind or two would help fit that part of the fluff. They could a shooty chapter.

Delicious Soy
18-07-2005, 10:50
IIRC there was a story about them in an issue of Inferno, you could always poke around the Black Library site.

Inquis. Jaeger
18-07-2005, 15:53
Out of interest, anyone got the link for the Marines Malevolent entry (or indeed, any entry on the 'Forces' page) of the Armageddon 3 site?

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
18-07-2005, 17:02
Out of interest, anyone got the link for the Marines Malevolent entry (or indeed, any entry on the 'Forces' page) of the Armageddon 3 site?

Here you go.

http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/malevolent.html

This will give you info on the other chapters too.

worldshatterer
18-07-2005, 17:37
I used to live with Hideki, i was at Uni with all the Hull lot, but Zark the Damned left before i got to know him at all . The army wasn't particuarly well painted, but it got top marks[due to originality and unit markings], and even scored higher than one of the boys who does commision work .

Tell you one thing about the Marines Malevolent, the paintschemes so bright we could make out Hideki's army on the Warhammer webcam .

As for fluff we know next to nothing about their fighting style, afterall bringing along a couple of whirlwinds makes excellent tactical sense whilst fighting orks .

Puffin Magician
18-07-2005, 18:34
The We Stand Alone Trait is accurate because the Malevo Marines are said to refuse to fight alongside Cursed Chapters like the Black Dragons [just as the Dark Angels do]. According to the Arm3.com page, they thought of the refugees as:
expendable and acceptable losses. He went on to say that those who would not fight against the Orks and would cower in a camp had no right to live because their freedom was bought with another's blood.
They might be unwilling to fight alongside Imperial Guard as well.

No Mercy, No Respite doesn't represent ruthlessness, it represents ferocity. They aren't a combat-oriented Chapter, they just think the end justifies the means. Give them Preferred Enemy: Orks if they really need an advantage Trait at all because of their stationing on Armageddon.

They seem to be a pretty standard Chapter as far as adhering to the Codex is concerned. I don't think an emphasis on any particular aspect [lots of assault units, firepower units, or mobile units] would be accurate.

Commander Garro
18-07-2005, 22:00
Thanks for all the help, I'll have to think about the adv trait a bit more...
Yep I have included a whirlwind and a Devastator squad for the fluffiness...
Anyone know the inferno the story was in?

Xisor
18-07-2005, 23:07
I don't recall exactly what was on Armageddon 3, but in the Salamanders IA articles, it does details that Captain Vinyard of the Marines Malevolent was royally bollocked by Chapter Master Tu'Shan of the Salamanders for shelling the refugee camp whilst there were orks inside the perimeter.

I wonder how this affectd the standing of the MM, as I can't imagine getting reprimanded by a first founding legions/chapters Chapter Master would do much for your 'street cred'.

I believ in one of the Uriel Ventris novels the MM are mentioned, though I don't recall which novel or what was said of them. I believe, though can't be sure, they were noted as having some pretty odd 'feral world' rituals...

Xisor

Captain Cortez
19-07-2005, 00:09
IIRC there was a story about them in an issue of Inferno, you could always poke around the Black Library site.

Their's a short story of them in the Inferno? This is new.

I actualy used to play a Marines Malevolent chaptor, then I changed to a Lamenter army. The only problem with them is people would always ask "Nice Imperial Fist" :rolleyes: .

If there was ever a Salamaders Novel, I bet their would be something mentioning the MM.

Inquis. Jaeger
19-07-2005, 08:29
I used to live with Hideki, i was at Uni with all the Hull lot, but Zark the Damned left before i got to know him at all . The army wasn't particuarly well painted, but it got top marks[due to originality and unit markings], and even scored higher than one of the boys who does commision work .

Tell you one thing about the Marines Malevolent, the paintschemes so bright we could make out Hideki's army on the Warhammer webcam .

As for fluff we know next to nothing about their fighting style, afterall bringing along a couple of whirlwinds makes excellent tactical sense whilst fighting orks .

Haha. I remember that. It was such a bright shade of yellow, even the poor lighting in Warhammer World made it show up. :D

As to Traits, perhaps just Suffer not the Alien to live (Orks) and We Stand Alone? (As mentione dbefore, obviously :rolleyes: )

Commander Garro
19-07-2005, 22:17
Don't KNow about which Adv to use, SNTATL seems a bit lame, they don't seem to have any direct hatred of the Orks(as opposed to every other Xenos race) like the Crimson Fists, So I'm stuck really about which Adv to use...

Puffin Magician
20-07-2005, 02:06
Well what's to say you need an Advantage for them at all? The only relevant one is excessive [or lame, as you put it], and you can always use a standard Codex list and just restrict yourself from taking any Allies.

TenTailedCat
20-07-2005, 03:24
MM were mentioned in the Nightbringer Uriel Ventris novel, very briefly, he was just commenting that the Blood Angels and MM were barbarians who would happily destroy a world's infrastructure as they conquered it, whereas the noble and pure Ultramarines left worlds paved with gold with a 500% extra turnover.. obviously *sigh* stupid smurfs.

Commander Garro
20-07-2005, 04:05
Ah I remember that.. Pfft why pave it in gold, kill 'em all and let the emperor sort them out...