PDA

View Full Version : Starting new army.... ELDAR!

Storm Ghost
01-02-2007, 15:19
Right I have pulled myself away from getting anoth Space Marine Army (Dark Angels), and have decided i will go for eldar simply because I think they look great and have wraithlords and fire prisms.... The question is though what do i get? Got any good tactics (mainly for destroying Space Marines because everybody collects them at the club I go to). I know I want a Wraithlord and a Fire Prism in it. I'am also thinking of getting the battleforce. Is this a good idea for a army that can kick Space Marines ass.

Thanks for all the help:)

Seth the Dark
01-02-2007, 15:37
I would say concentrate on speed. You want lots of things that can move fast such as Warp Spiders, shooty units in Wave Serpents and lots of skimmers.

Wraithbored
01-02-2007, 15:43
Wraithlords and Prisms are good but they are by no means the best heavies you can take, imagin 9 war walker with star cannons or missile launchers. Also the lowly vibro cannon can do a lot of damage.

I'd suggest a varied force, have a bit of everything but that which you take should have the tools they need to do their job. Also the Autarch is a briliant hq choice especially if you have squads of deepstriking spiders and swooping hawks.

There isn't anything in the army that could be dubbed a bad unit, everythign is good if you just put it in the right place at the right time.

Penitent
01-02-2007, 15:53
One of the Standard Eldar units, in any list, are Fire Dragons in a Falcon. They give any Eldar army AT firepower, and will wreak havoc on MEQ armies.

The battleforce isn't a bad place to start, but the fact that it only comes with 5 Dire Avengers is weird to me. Depending on how big an army you want, you could buy two battleforces. Most of what comes in the battleforce is stuff you could use more than one of anyway.

Orbital
01-02-2007, 15:54
I would say concentrate on speed. You want lots of things that can move fast such as Warp Spiders, shooty units in Wave Serpents and lots of skimmers.

This is very, very workable and will reward you well *but*... be aware that it is far from the only thing you can do. Wraithlords, for instance, are fantastic for building slow-moving but intractible firebases. There are a lot of options, including the mixing-and-matching of styles within one army.

Often, I'll build a firebase from Dark Reapers and War Walkers, and then advance Wave Serpents up under their cover. It's a good way to both own the table as well as move out to capture what you can't get from the back ranks.

You'll find your own style. Start with what you love to play with and move out from there.

Starchild
01-02-2007, 16:13
If SM killing is what you want, consider a full squad of Howling Banshees w/ Exarch in a Wave Serpent. Upgrade the Exarch's weapon to an Executioner and choose a T-L heavy weapon to compliment the rest of your army.

If you coordinate your attacks and threaten the opponent from multiple angles, you will be able to drop the Banshees wherever they are needed. If possible have a Farseer nearby to cast Doom on the Banshees' target so they can reroll to wound.

If you decide to get a Fireprism, get a second one. Try the combined beam for (IIRC) S6 AP3 large blasts, very useful for taking out SM units.

Storm Ghost
01-02-2007, 16:29
Right thanks guys. I pan to get a 1000pts army or even a 1500pts. I definatley want some howling banshees cuz I heard they are awsome SM killers so there on the list. Then I think I will get the battle force, then getting another squad of guardians and Dire Avengers. I might want some rangers aswell (I forgot to tell you guys/gals this will be mainly for Cityfighting..). So are fire prisms good in ctyfights or are they good for open lands?

Seth the Dark
01-02-2007, 16:41
Mostly for standard battles but since I haven't fought too many Cityfight games, I'm no expert.

TheReaper
01-02-2007, 19:44
Fireprisms are best in open terrain since there their long range will often take down enemies before they even can reach it with their weapons.

Bregalad
01-02-2007, 22:36
There are so many "Hi, I want to start Eldar - any advice?" threads in this forum alone, that you will surely find them using the search (newest one here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66617 ). Otherwise go to the Tactics forum for more detailed information.

Orbital
02-02-2007, 05:24
There are so many "Hi, I want to start Eldar - any advice?" threads in this forum alone, that you will surely find them using the search (newest one here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66617 ). Otherwise go to the Tactics forum for more detailed information.

True, this isn't exactly new ground... but it's interesting and informative, nonetheless, so no harm done.

Besides... if starting a duplicate thread is a crime, a whole lot of threads about Assault Cannons, Drop Pods and Games Workshop price hikes would have to get the flush as well.

Vegeta365
02-02-2007, 08:54
And lets face it, this is at least an interesting discussion unlike some that Orbital has mentioned have been discussed over and over again!

For example, it is interesting to see what people have put down as advice here and how different those views are. This says to me two things.

1. The codex is very balanced.
2. People are having fun with varying armies over and over again.

So with regards to point 2. If you get bored doing one thing a lot, change it for the next game.

And as for point 1. A very refreshing change. When I read the first post on this topic, I thought ''lets see what people have replied with''. And I was slightly suprised by the response. I have silly ammounts of Eldar as I am sure a lot of people here have (I'm looking at you Orbital). But if I was going to advise someone on what to put in their all conquering army, it would have been very different to what some have posted here, and thats not a bad thing.

I have had a great deal of success with my tournament army and so far nobody has really mentioned it as a style of play. I assume people posting here have had simmilar success with their armies, and have not just posted their advice without actually gaming with Eldar. So this would show that Eldar can be successful in many forms, and that is very good to hear.

My general army includes the following in 1500pts:

2 cheap Farseers (only slightly more than 1 tooled up one and more flexible).
2 10 man dire avenger units
1 6 man pathfinder unit
1 3 man jetbike unit
1 9 woman banshee unit in wave serpent
1 5 man dark reaper unit
2 fire prisms.

This gives me 48 models in total, and 10 scoring units units. The prisms are flexible and resilient, the reapers have awesome killing power, the pathfinders can take out hard to kill stuff such as wraithlords, carnifex's and are hard to remove themselves, the dire avengers give mass killing power, the banshees strike at the right time or are used to countercharge and this squad can easily take out most of what it charges, the jetbikes can hold VPs stop my banshees from being counter charged, cover the back of the wave serpent etc etc, combined with doom on most of these units and this gives great killing power.

Look, no fire dragons in Falcon, no hawks, no spiders, not lots of wave serpents or wraithlords, but this army works really well for me. Others may slate it, but hey what this shows is that you can purchase almost anything and you will be fine. The key is how you use what you purchase. The tactics will ultimately decide if you win or lose (bad dice rolling aside), but you should always have fun with them as that is what an Eldar army is.

Hope something in here helped

Rangerrob
02-02-2007, 12:10
When putting together my Eldar army, I have two simple goals.

1) Take the dice out of my opponents hands.
2) Give my dice rolls the greatest chance for success.

#1 means taking as many weapons as possible that allow for no Armor saves.

Which is why you will see Banshees in my army every time over Scorpions.
Pathfinders will be a troop choice of mine every time just for the chance at an AP1 shot.
I'm not a fan of the (-) Ap value weapons so I stay away from the Spiders.
Wraithguard and Dragons also for their low AP weapons.
I do own 3 Wraithlords but usually only field one, Their toughness 8 takes the shooting dies out of my oppnents hand for many of his troops. But I find I can cause more casualties with other Heavy options the Eldar have.

#2 Means High Strength weapons, or Massive numbers of shots.
10 Guardian jetbikes, 3 of which are S. Cannons, is a pretty effective force even against Marines. 14 S. Cat shots rerolling misses, and 9 S6 shots from the cannons, will do a number on most any target, (especially if it is DOOMed).
3 Walkers each with two scatter lasers...guided of course. 24 S6 shots, rerolling misses. yeah the unit will get their saves with the above two, but the would be taking enough of them to drop a few MeQs.

The weakenss with my suggestions is the number of units. Usually my 2000 point armies come up around 50 models...So every unit is valuable. these chioces are much better for taking out Nurgle marines than Horde armies. But I have found it's easier to drop an Orc with a Bright lance then it is a Nurlge terminator with a Shuriken Catapult. ;)