PDA

View Full Version : Hero choices for Empire 1500pts help!

andy10k
01-02-2007, 22:37
Hey, I'm stuck for what Hero choices to take with my Empire, as i always tend to start of my army lists with hero's i'm not sure where to go! :(

So i ask, for 1500pt games, what's the best Hero choices to take? What does everyone else take?

I was thinking 1 Captain for leadership, a priest for combat and a little magic output, also the extra dispell dice and then a mage with 2 scrolls.

Any ideas? :P

sulla
02-02-2007, 03:50
That seems like a lot of magic defense for 1500pts. you could afford a lot of extra troops if you left out the wizard...Maybe just an extra captain with full plate and great weapon (or lance if mounted)

ffarsight
02-02-2007, 09:25
I agree with sulla, since in 1500 points you cant have a lord there is no need for high magic protection, choose 1 captain and 2 wP or 1 Wp and 2 captain, 2 mounted and 1 on foot. Bsb may be a good option.

Mephistofeles
02-02-2007, 09:37
I would take a BSB and a normal captain, both mounted. Then a mounted warrior priest. Put all of them in big blocks of troops and you will be alright.

the blind knight
02-02-2007, 14:29
i role with

Warrior priest(general)
armor of meteoric iron
great wepon

BSB
ful plate armor
barded warhorse
griffo baner

level 2 wizard
2x dispell scrols

andy10k
02-02-2007, 15:08
Well i found at 1500 3 dispell dice just doesn't stop enough magic :( I like to have 4 as I can then use 3 against a decently cast spell and then 1 for a bound item which the enemy more than not has, also 2 scrolls are always a safe bet.

I might try out 2 warrior priests and a captain though, as I do like to have lots of combat stuff rather than sit back and magic the enemy to death.

Ty guys :)

Mephistofeles
02-02-2007, 17:54
I have 4 dispel dice and a scroll at 2250 points, and it has worked thus far, even against magic heavy armies.

I think that the combination The Blind Knight will use here, with a wizard, a priest and a captain is rather good. I would advice against taking the level upgrade for the wizard, but then the priest will never ever get any prayer through, and that's no fun.

MattKienbaum
02-02-2007, 18:30
Ok, A pries, a mage, and a Captian walk into a bar. . . well I wouldn't mess with them, it is really quite ballanced. I often use something very simular to this. I like it. But If I am trying to be different and I am using cannons and the such An engineer with a hocland can be nearly as usefull as a mage.

Poisonpen
02-02-2007, 19:32
For 1500 I find points dumped into magic resistance are better spent on troops. 4 Dispel Dice is a decent amount, and has worked for me well in the past.
(I normally go 3 Dispel Dice w/no scrolls!)

Here is what I use at 1500:

Priest (Heavy Armor and shield or 2 hand weapons)
Captain w/Full Plate and Battle Standard
Wizard w/wizard staff *GASP he is level 1! With no Scrolls!? Oh noes!*:rolleyes:
The total is just over 250 points... good deal eh?

It is nice because it is just so CHEAP for what you get for it. If you feel like you want more bang for your buck, then dump a few magic items around -couldn't hurt I suppose. Just remember that Meteoric Iron is the same as five halberdiers... Then again I AM a n00b at Empire...:p

MarcoPollo
02-02-2007, 19:53
I run a captain with great weapon, full plate, bow, and Rod of Command in a unit of archers to screen troops and set traps.

A wp with heavy armor and barded steed with hw/shield. Maybe icon of magnus and run him in a unit of knigts.

I take a level 2 mage with one dispell scrol, wizards staff and sigil of sigmar.

The wizards staff is a very good item as it allows you to use 4 dice on one spell if you are level 2 or 3 dice on one spell at level three. for 10 pts, it is very efficient.

sulla
03-02-2007, 18:48
Well i found at 1500 3 dispell dice just doesn't stop enough magic :( I like to have 4 as I can then use 3 against a decently cast spell and then 1 for a bound item which the enemy more than not has, also 2 scrolls are always a safe bet.

I might try out 2 warrior priests and a captain though, as I do like to have lots of combat stuff rather than sit back and magic the enemy to death.

Ty guys :)

Is it possible you don't have enough units/troops on the field? Generally, because magic can only disrupt or damage a finite amount, 150pts worth of extra troops is a far better protection than an 150-odd points of wizard.

zak
03-02-2007, 19:28
I find that having only a small amount of magic defense (3 dd) is too little at 1500 points especially against the Undead armies who will often get to cast 2-3 spells and have bound items. I usually take atleast 1 dispel scroll and will sometimes opt for two against the Undead armies. The warrior priests off-set this to an amount, but I still feel a mage is needed in that 1500 point list.

Makarion
04-02-2007, 08:29
At 1,500 points my Empire may run 1 captain, 1 warrior priest and 1 lvl 2 wizard with 2 scrolls, or 2 lvl 2 wizards and 1 warrior priest. Both work decently well, although the latter is a bit hit and miss, depending on what spells I get.
The prior can cast spells against people using a scroll caddy (or, in our chaos demon player's case, someone with just basic dd), but the second option can always force something through, even with bad dice. I managed to roll 11 *twice* on casting today (and once on dispelling), and my magic-heavy combo still got spells off fairly regularly versus two skink priests with a total of 3 dispel scrolls. It's rare that it is game deciding (or at least not as much as my cannon can be), but today's 'Walking Death' cast on 566 was beautiful... as I fielded the RoR Cursed Company. Terror at 1,500 points was priceless.

In short, I would say that it's probably always worthwhile to have a wizard with 2 scrolls, plus a fighty hero, but only upgrade the wizard when you can support him with a second wizard or a fair chunk of bound spells, or your magic phase is just a waste of points. I don't see much use for 2 caddies at 1,500 points, even in the most magic-fan-boi playing environments. A second fighty hero is probably not as important as getting a BSB, which I am going to try out soon myself.

Some armies have unique character types that can muddle these lines, such as Empire (warrior priests - solid troop reinforcement and moderate magic defence, engineer - point sink), Dark Elves (Beast Master and Assassin - both probably rarely worthwhile), Skaven (Master Moulder and others), etc. But you're probably better off asking about that in another thread, since I'm long-winded enough already :).

On a side note, I have come to enjoy the Rod of Power a lot when using 2 lvl 2 mages, preferring it over dispel scrolls ( I only carry 1 when using that combo). Of course, that's about as magic-heavy as you can get at 1,500 points, so it's no surprise to have surplus dice (more often dispel than casting dice, by the way). I'm sure that at 2,000+ points, when people break out their High Elf mage-lords and 2nd generation Slann, I'll probably have to reverse my strategy and revert to using minimal points in magic characters and more of a focus on troop defense, whether by using warrior priests, banners (to deal with psychology issues), special troop choices (stubborn springs to mind), etc. 1,500 really is a fine balancing act, and making offensive magic work is tricky. It's probably more viable to just pack a couple of scrolls on a caddy and otherwise focus on the actual fighting.

Zanzibarthefirst
04-02-2007, 14:02
if you know who your are going to be facing, try tailoirng it around that, in 1500pts, dwarfs will dispel most spells so you would be better off with BSB, captain and priest.

Asuril
05-02-2007, 05:51
How do you guys equip your WPs?

I love the mini of the WP on foot with 2 hand weapons. I know I'm going to run mine on foot (army blueprint is infantry based), which weapon combo do you guys have the most luck with?

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 08:30
I always give my wp a great weapon and heavy armour, that's all he gets, and it has worked okey thus far.

the blind knight
05-02-2007, 13:39
How do you guys equip your WPs?

I love the mini of the WP on foot with 2 hand weapons. I know I'm going to run mine on foot (army blueprint is infantry based), which weapon combo do you guys have the most luck with?

great wepon
armor of meteoric iron
van holurs spectrum

Kileer combo?

ffarsight
05-02-2007, 14:39
I dont have the correct points value. but isnīt Armour like 25 points? and van horstmans speculum like 30 points? i think soo....

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 18:07
The armour is 25, and van Horstmans Speculum (not van holurs spectrum...) is 30 points yes.

Otherwise it would have been an okey combo yes.

codo
05-02-2007, 20:25
I would think about dropping the 2 scrolls and adding the Rod of Power. For 30 points you can save up to 3 power or dispel dice.

That could give you up to 7 dispel dice, which should be more than enough to handle any magic you might face at 1500 pts.

As an added bonus if your opponent has a weak magic offense you can have up to 7 power dice, with the WP bound spell, and perhaps the doomfire ring you can have one of the most powerfull magic phases possible at 1500 pts.

sulla
05-02-2007, 22:47
I would think about dropping the 2 scrolls and adding the Rod of Power. For 30 points you can save up to 3 power or dispel dice.

That could give you up to 7 dispel dice, which should be more than enough to handle any magic you might face at 1500 pts.

As an added bonus if your opponent has a weak magic offense you can have up to 7 power dice, with the WP bound spell, and perhaps the doomfire ring you can have one of the most powerfull magic phases possible at 1500 pts.

Wow! that sounds like very good advice. Any weaknesses to the rod?

jisu
06-02-2007, 09:28
Hello.

I usually go with a high missile, high magic Empire list with a couple of hard hitting units for counterattacks.

I use:
1 War Priest as general (for the ld8, the dispersion dice, hatred, ....)
2 Mages Level 2.

I have 5 dispersion dices. In 1.500 points is enough so i dont carry dispels scrolls. I have get very good results with this at the club and at tournaments.

Bye.

ffarsight
06-02-2007, 10:03
I have 5 dispersion dices.

:D Sorry, but i had to talk about this, dispersion dice?! :D

OK, you can call it whatever you like... :chrome:

the blind knight
06-02-2007, 18:07
Hello.

I usually go with a high missile, high magic Empire list with a couple of hard hitting units for counterattacks.

I use:
1 War Priest as general (for the ld8, the dispersion dice, hatred, ....)
2 Mages Level 2.

I have 5 dispersion dices. In 1.500 points is enough so i dont carry dispels scrolls. I have get very good results with this at the club and at tournaments.

Bye.

FINALLY i have found a guy with worse grammar than me:D

Mephistofeles
06-02-2007, 18:37
Guys seriously, cut it out, it's nothing wrong with having bad grammar, seriously.

bryanpetersmith
08-02-2007, 04:15
I would go with the preist the wizard and the captain but loose at least one if not both scrolls and make the captain a battle standard bearer and use the priest as a general as he has the same leadership. Keeping the wizard mean your prayers may actually do something in the game and generally 1 wizard is almost mandatory anyway. You have 4 dispel dice which is ussually enough without level 4 wizards walking around.

Really going bear bones on magic items is probably a good idea in this case where you are using all three hero slots available. Also for the battle standard the griffon banner is still a huge advantage.

captaincortez
08-02-2007, 15:42
I take:

Captain in full plate with great weapon and a HANDGUN
Captain in full plate with battle standard
(both lead a unit of 18 greatswords)

Priest in heavy armor with cheap magic sword or GW
(leads a unit of 25 spears)

I had enough dispel dice to weather the storm against LV2 and LV1 chaos sorcerers.

The chaos player was afraid of the generals unit (with it's static CR of 5 and high armor saves).

Putting a handgun in the hands of my static general is a great idea as he gets off a few shots a game and is good for 3+ kills. He easily makes up the 10 points for the gun. Stand and shoot is nice too...hitting on a 3+.