PDA

View Full Version : Strength Test

Hvidponi
02-02-2007, 12:18
If you are forced to take a strangth check during the close combat phase (The Gilded Armour from the Empire Book), do you use your "true value" or the modified one from weapons or magic... Example; and orc got S 3, but has a choppa S4 in the first round... Do they take the test with S3 or S4?

Thanks

Makaber
02-02-2007, 12:26
Basic strength I think. I'm guessing this is clearly stated in the rulebook somewhere, probably under "Characteristics Checks". I'm too lazy to check myself.

TKitch
02-02-2007, 12:28
I know that weapons like choppas and GWs don't convert their strengtrh bonuses to it, as it's strictly a combat thing there.

However if you have another item (like armor) does increase your, I'm not sure. (Those are permanant bonuses not a situational one)

TheWarSmith
02-02-2007, 13:59
If it's a permenent stat bonus, then you'd test on that modified stat, as that is your stat for that game.

weapons that increase strength don't count.

DeathlessDraich
02-02-2007, 14:32
DE Black Horror strength test is a test on the "characteristic Strength" value.

I can't think of other S tests which are not based on this value

Fox
02-02-2007, 16:21
After modifier. You can refer to the P.5:Characteristic Tests.

DeathlessDraich
02-02-2007, 16:51
Hello and Welcome Fox.
The context of the statement on pg 5 refers to modifiers that might change a roll of 6 which always fails for characteristic tests.

Mephistofeles
02-02-2007, 17:59
You roll against your characteristic. If a spell has been cast which has heightened this then I am quite sure you roll on that, but weapons does not count, since they don't increase the characteristic but the effective attack strenght.

Not sure about the magic bit of it, but I know that it's the characteristic which is to be used.

DarthBinky
02-02-2007, 19:15
Per pg 54, the S bonus from weapons only applies to hand to hand and nothing more. Solves that issue.

Magic seems to be based on how it's worded. Bear's Anger adds to the characteristic, so it should count, as should the bonus for Armor of the Gods (HE magic armor from Albion). Flaming Sword is tricky- it says the S bonus only applies "whilst using the Sword of Rhuin"; does that mean actively using it in HTH, or just holding it in your hand? I think I lean towards the former. Pha's Illumination is written weird too, I could go either way on that one.

I can't think of any other examples to go by.