PDA

View Full Version : Good 40k books

Maren
02-02-2007, 16:05
What are somegood 40k books? Ive read Dan Abnetts Tanith series ( which were excellent) and some mixed others.

Plz give me tips on good books.

Hicks
02-02-2007, 16:10
The Eisenhorn trilogy also by Abnett are largely considered the best BL books and I would agree. I can also highly recommend the first Grey Knight book, the sequel is not as good but worth a read too. I'm currently reading Lord of the Night and while I didn't like it at first, I'm really starting to enjoy it.

lord_blackfang
02-02-2007, 16:13
Angel of Darkness was brilliant, and Eye of Terror (the novel, not the codex) was pretty good.

Stay away from Storm of Iron (a 300 page battle report) and Shadow Point (worse than your average erotic anime fanfiction)

Necronlord3
02-02-2007, 16:16
All the Horus Heresy books are some of the best novels I've ever read. (Even though some events don't play out as game history has explained them.)

Permanganate
02-02-2007, 16:42
The two Grey Knight books are fairly good. I also liked the first three books of the Ragnar Blackmane series (haven't read the fourth).

Stay away from Storm of Iron (a 300 page battle report)...

I quite liked the book when I first read it in the runup to the Eye of Terror campaign. It really doesn't deserve to be put in the same category as the Inquisitor series or anything by C.S. Goto, which should be avoided unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself in for.

manicmarine
02-02-2007, 17:12
As always its taste I loved Execution hour and Double Eagle. I thought that the Ravenor books are very good as with the Eisenhorn books. 15 hours was excellent!!

but my favourite above all are the Ciphas Cain novels

Brothergrimm
02-02-2007, 17:43
Caiaphas
the ghost
lord of the night
the Ragnar books
the compilation books are a good start point.

keatsmeister
02-02-2007, 17:50
The Ragnar books are a good start. Angels of Darkness is a decent read.
Don't forget the range of short story compilations either. Deathwing is a great assortment of fluff.

Lothar bubonicus
02-02-2007, 17:52
Bill kings Space wolf books, The Eisenhorn trilogy, the necromunda short stories one (cant remember the name). and thats about all I have read 40k wise (except the tanith books but you mentioned them already). There are some great WHFB books also, such as: Gileads blood, the gotrek and felix series, Star of erengrad, and the sequel to it (damned if I remember that books name either)
[dice0]

Forces Unknown
02-02-2007, 17:54
Horus Heresy Series
Ciaphas Cain Series
Eisenhorn Series
Gaunts Ghosts Series
Execution Hour
Storm of Iron

I thought these were all good reads.

shady
02-02-2007, 18:48
1. Anything by Abnett - besides GG there's Eisenhorn series, Ravenor series, Double Eagle and the first of the Horus Heresy series
2. The Horus Heresy series, though by various hands, has managed to maintain the momentum and pace from the first novel
3. Inquisition War series by Ian Watson

Most of the others I've read have indeed been mixed, though not exactly terrible. I noticed Abnett has a book out in the Torchwood (Dr Who spin off) tie in novel series also. Plus, Amazon shows him starting a new series in June with Brothers of the Snake (Iron Snakes series).

Slaaneshi Slave
02-02-2007, 18:52
The only 40k book I have read and remember the title of is Faith and Fire, and its crap. Its very badly written, but is useful as a background perspective for Adeptus Sororitas, so don't buy it unless you just want to know a little more about Sisters of Battle.

Yog_Sothoth
02-02-2007, 19:12
Cain novels
Storm of Iron
Lord of the Night

I kind of liked Rogue Star too, but it ends too early imho. Still nice though.

teh_soldier
02-02-2007, 19:31
Try "Let The Galexy Burn"
Its a compilation of various short-stories from various writers, all based around 40K combat. Rather good IMO.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
02-02-2007, 19:39
3. Inquisition War series by Ian Watson
seconded!! :)

i also enjoyed the two (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=352) part (http://www.blacklibrary.com/bookdetail.asp?id=377)Blood Angels story, too. :)

~ Tim

Fideru
02-02-2007, 19:47
I like Abnett and Gaunt's Ghosts series. Heard Horus Heresy is awesome as well.

Dark Apostle
02-02-2007, 19:47
The Tanith series is fun reading, and the Souldrinkers omnibus is really showing the empire from it's darker side.
On the other hand I would really recommend staying away from the Inquisition war, as it's probably the worst fiction I've ever read. But that, of course, is only my opinon, others seem to like it. ;)

Railgunner
02-02-2007, 19:53
The 2 Grey Knight books
Eisenhorn Trilogy
Execution Hour
Storm of Iron

Railgunner

squigsnok
02-02-2007, 20:12
Eisenhorn is hands down the best series out there, and the Ravenor book are top notch too. The Heresy series of novels is fantastic too, and have inspired my next army. These are basically the best of the bunch.

Other than that, I enjoyed Storm of Iron alot, and Angels Of Darkness.

From a background perspective, If you can get hold of a copy, The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is genius, and well worth a read.

CitizenNick
02-02-2007, 20:31
I'm on the third book of the Horus Heresy series. The first book was excellent (Hourus Rising). I liked the plot of False Gods, but some of the dialogue was just excruciatingly bad. Still, it was good enough for me to buy the third book.

The Space wolves books were pretty good. I liked the Eisenhorn books, but sometimes Abnett has a weird take on the technology of the 40k universe. He seems to forget that in 40k, technology is more like religion than science.

I’d like to read the Inquisition War trilogy, but they’re nigh impossible to find.

keatsmeister
02-02-2007, 20:42
I'm on the third book of the Horus Heresy series. The first book was excellent (Horus Rising). I liked the plot of False Gods, but some of the dialogue was just excruciatingly bad. Still, it was good enough for me to buy the third book.

Loved Horus Rising. False Gods had good parts and bad parts. I found the final book of the trilogy the least appealing, I think it would perhaps have benefited from switching viewpoints to Garro rather than waiting to do so until Flight Of The Eisenstein. That said, as a start to the Heresy series, it was overall very good.

The Song of Spears
02-02-2007, 21:01
Anything by C.S. Goto ROXORS!!!11 :p

But seriously, i found the giant books of chaos a fun read (not really novels, but a great insight into the ideas behind chaos.

Any other nutters out there read these monstrosities?

Permanganate
02-02-2007, 21:08
...If you can get hold of a copy, The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is genius, and well worth a read.

I second that. It's really good. I just found a second copy in GW Croydon last week and immediately sold it on eBay.

I’d like to read the Inquisition War trilogy, but they’re nigh impossible to find.

Avoid, TBH - it's fifteen years old and has aged badly. I've all all three from ~2002 and only read them once.

Any other nutters out there read these monstrosities?

Got the Khorne one; mildly interesting, but not a good introduction point for people looking for their first 40k book.

The Song of Spears
02-02-2007, 21:09
Got the Khorne one; mildly interesting, but not a good introduction point for people looking for their first 40k book.

Really? I found the Slaanesh one to be a great source of inspiration for painting my models and getting into the fluff ideas of what kind of person would actually fall in with these gods.

I mean, who actually says, "I feel like being infested with pestilence and decay, now where can i go to get some of that goodness!" :D

ss_cherubael
02-02-2007, 21:11
Besides the GG books anything else by Dan Abbnett is worth the money and time to read as he is one of the better writters out there if your looking for a good entertaining read. Along side Abbnett's books are the Cain novels (some of the funniest books ever written!), the Inquisition war (like to rebut an earlier poster who said they were crap, not crap just very old skool and first 40k fiction books ever written), the soul drinkers books were a cool read but im not a fan of the way space marines were portrayed (too human for my liking). Also i have to recommend the GOtrek and Felix books as they are probably some of the best thought out and executed books going around in the fantasy genre. Also Abbnetts Dark Blade books are very very good as well . Hope that helps, and i also hope i dont get branded an Abbnett fan boy, i do like his writting alot but i will admit that occasionally it isnt perfect :)

Yorkiebar
02-02-2007, 21:21
I've only read the Space Wolf novels by William King and the Tanith series. All are great little reads, definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Killgore
02-02-2007, 21:48
Storm of Iron is my favorate black libary 40k book, it has a great plot line, it stars a awsome baddie! and gives a useful insight into the Iron Warriors and the Imperial Guard/ titan legions

Warp_touched
02-02-2007, 22:23
Horus Hersey is god. Anything by C.S Gotto, burn it!!

spacemonkey
02-02-2007, 22:26
All of Abnett's books rate high, Nightbringer is an excellent novel, the Last Chancers series is also good (though the last book was quite odd), the Horus Hersey is interesting (the last book seemed bit off character to me, too much changed too fast), and the Cain series is enjoyable (quite the humorous opposite the most the doom and gloom generally associated with 40k).

Catferret
05-02-2007, 04:24
If you want something quick and easy going then give any of the Necromunda novels a go(Except Salvation, sorry Goto, not gonna happen). I read each of them in only 1 or 2 sittings. Outlander, Fleshworks and Back from the Dead got me back into playing Necromunda again.

Failing that I concur with everybody else who has said Horus Heresy series and Eisenhorn trilogy. The Ravenor books are also supposed to be good but I keep forgetting to buy them...

Drasriath
05-02-2007, 05:45
15 Hours is very good. I also enjoyed Faith & Fire (to an extent, but that's another story). If you're looking to start on the fiction, I'd reccomend doing so with Let the Galaxy Burn. It's a collection of short stories, and a very good starting point for Black Library readers.

Most of it's good, just stay away from Goto and you'll be fine.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-02-2007, 08:04
Stay away from Storm of Iron (a 300 page battle report) and Shadow Point (worse than your average erotic anime fanfiction)

Hey, i thought Storm of Iron rocked.

Tanner MIrabel
05-02-2007, 10:14
My picks:

Any of the Ravenor and Eisenhorn books by Dan Abnett - they provide a glimpse into life in the Imperium, there's a lot more to them than battles. This may or may not therefore be your thing

Inquisition War by Ian Watson - these seem to be Marmite books, people either love or hate them. As I read them originally back when they were first released, I love them. People who like the more pulpy flavour of the current books may like them less

Execution Hour - rarely obtainable, but great for space combat. Have never read the sequel, Shadow Point, but it usually gets panned by others

Storm of Iron - a lot of people like this. Good glimpses of the Chaos war machine in action

Angels of Darkness - essential reading for Dark Angel fans

The Space Wolf Books - by William King, one of the best Black Library authors

And a final mention for the Short story collections. Handy ways of reading diffrerent authors and varied stories

Alessander
05-02-2007, 12:47
I personally don't like Abnett, i find the writing style attempting to be too serious for a series aimed at (and tailored to) teenagers. Were Abnett able to write without demographic restrictions, it may be good, but the current stuff is fodder. His current characters seem a little stiff.

Lord of the Night is my current favorite.

Minibull
05-02-2007, 13:16
Hey, i thought Storm of Iron rocked.

I have to admit, I liked "Storm of Iron" also. It's not as good as the Horus Heresy series (the best) but it gave a good view of chaos. The sequel "White Sky, Black Sun" was a hard read simply because it went to truly disgusting ends to show a chaos homeworld, but it did give me a great idea for a new army - the Unfleshed (LotD counts-as).

There was a collection of short stories for 40k that was pretty good, but I can't remember it's name. It had a decent DE story and a good story of an orc invasion.

Captain Micha
05-02-2007, 16:11
The book The Inquisition War was really a good piece. Also the Horus Heresy books. Fire Warrior, Soul drinkers series, Night Lords. Double Eagle.

I hear the Tanith books rock as does Eisenhorn. I have not tried them out yet but being from Abnett I bet they are good. (note if you do not like long flowy paragraphs do not read abnett)

demiourgos
05-02-2007, 16:58
Eisenhorn, Horus Rising (although once you start the series you won't be able to stop despite uneven results following this one) and Let the Galaxy Burn gives a pretty idea of what to expect from other authors.