PDA

View Full Version : Having the upperhand- What to do

Deng Ham
02-02-2007, 19:46
A thing ocured to me today. After playing a game that I was loosing. And loosing bad. But the score was 2-1.

It was the coice that my oponent made when he got the upper hand. He removed 2 of my players permently from the game within turn 2. Anf he chose to stal the game.

I think that there is 3 things that a coach can do in that situation.
1: Score and go after another goal
2: Stal time. To scure his win
3: Stal time. To get more blocks and cas.

So my question is: What do you do once you get the upper hand. And what woud you like the one you play to do, if they get upper hand?

I always go for a TD. As soon as possible. Td is the best way of getting SPP's. And if I loose, I hope that my oponent do anything but trying to cas me. I don't mind loosing. Or loosing bad (0-8). But getting my players injured is just anoing.

Quin 242
02-02-2007, 19:50
I play all out if I'm up or down...
I go for casualties AND TD's. The more points my guys get the better chance they will hurt MORE folks next game :)

Deng Ham
02-02-2007, 19:52
but that include waiting at the end zone to do more Cas?

th0r
02-02-2007, 20:07
I like to stall and create more casualties when possible for ball control. I made a mistake and scored 1 turn to early and you ended up scoring which tied the game and I had to kick to you in the second. Then on top of that, due to morleys we had even numbers which meant the game was anything but certain. Then in the second half I decided not to take any more chances and hang on to the ball. Not very exciting but then a win is a win.

Quin 242
02-02-2007, 20:31
The only time I'd wait at the end zone to cause more casualties is if I knew that there was NO WAY that the enemy could get to the ball carrier. Otherwise I'll take the TD.

Autobot HQ
02-02-2007, 21:36
I play Chaos Dwarves - My entire team is DESIGNED to stall and drag itself up the field over 8 turns, destroying everything in its path. I'm the first to say that it is the sign of a bad coach who says that stalling is bad and they cant do anything - I'm giving you 8 turns to make a space, find a gap and stop me scoring. Most speed teams have the speed to break away and against other bashy teams, if I'm stalling and have a decent stalled defence chances are you have weight of numbers in the midfield - punish my team and beat them down so I have to score, just to stop the pain.

A-HQ

Darkson
05-02-2007, 22:37
Completely depends on the race of the team, what skills my teams has AND what skills my opponent has (do I have Block-Dodge players, and him no Tackle?, are my players low AV facing a lot of MB?), at what point in the game I can score (turn 6 I may stall for a turn), and finally, what sort of dice day I've been having.

tenpole
05-02-2007, 23:07
In your game against my orcs I was not interested in stalling as any further chance to score would mean extra SPP, so when an orc got the ball he went for the touchdown.
However in an important league game where winning would be important then I would stall if it were to my advantage to get a win result.

JEFE8699
06-02-2007, 17:59
I would not play any different, except maybe going for some easy SPP.

Malen Kharn
09-02-2007, 21:09
I always push on for another TD, as i dont see stalling as being very "sportsman like". I would also prefer my opponant to do the same (although usually they dont).

Malen

Kedlav
13-02-2007, 11:49
It depends on the opponent. If you're playing skill against a bash team, duck, dodge, and score, while taking 2D blocks and safe fouls. If its skill on skill, I usually wait a square from the end zone and bash for a while. If you're the bash team with a lead and the ball, against almost all teams, bash and wait to score, as you're in good position to killllllllllllllllllll and you don't want to give the other team a single chance with the ball.

juanni
16-03-2007, 21:07
Stalling is a valid tactic that non-finesse teams have to employ in order to make the touchdown they are about to score worth scoring. What good is scoring in 2-4 turns if those damn elves you are playing have got time to score back?

One of my favourite teams in Undead and their Funeral March down the pitch always takes 6+ turns, and this is the way it should be with these sorts of teams. Coaches that find stalling frustrating are just frustrated that they lack either the skill or resources (players) to overcome it. Should slow teams be annoyed that other teams can score in two turns? No. So fast teams should just get used to the idea that they are going to get stalled against. Part of the game, end of story.

Ardathair
17-03-2007, 13:32
A thing ocured to me today. After playing a game that I was loosing. And loosing bad. But the score was 2-1.

It was the coice that my oponent made when he got the upper hand. He removed 2 of my players permently from the game within turn 2. Anf he chose to stal the game.

I think that there is 3 things that a coach can do in that situation.
1: Score and go after another goal
2: Stal time. To scure his win
3: Stal time. To get more blocks and cas.

So my question is: What do you do once you get the upper hand. And what woud you like the one you play to do, if they get upper hand?

I always go for a TD. As soon as possible. Td is the best way of getting SPP's. And if I loose, I hope that my oponent do anything but trying to cas me. I don't mind loosing. Or loosing bad (0-8). But getting my players injured is just anoing.

For me it depends on my opponent.

Speed team with 1 turn touchdown potential. Delay and cause pain.
Power team, slow and purposeful. Score then try to acquire the ball, and score on a turn over.