PDA

View Full Version : First Empire List, 1000pnts

RdDragon5
03-02-2007, 03:36
Some of you may have read my "Historical Empire" thread. Well here's the 1000 point list that uses that idea. That being an army based off of shot, foot, and lance (handgunners, pikemen, and heavy cav). Hoping for any and all comments.

Hero:
105 = Captain, lance, shield, barded warhorse, dawn armour

75 = Battle Wizard, Wizard’s Staff

Core:
80 = 10 Handgunners

80 = 10 Handgunners

155 = 5 Knights, Full Command

Special:
300 = Ricco’s Republican Guard, Ricco, and 19 Pikemen, Full Command

Rare:
239 = 19 Pikemen in heavy armour, Full command

Total = 994

RdDragon5
04-02-2007, 01:18
A few people looking it seems, but no one giving any comments. Oh well, here's a 2000pnt version following the same theme. Comments and Questions for one or the other, or both would be great.

Hero:
242 = Arch Lector, armour of meteoric iron, barded warhorse, the white cloak, van horstmann’s speculum
(Goes in one of the units of knights)

114 = Warrior Priest, great weapon, heavy armour, shield, barded warhorse

114 = Warrior Priest, great weapon, heavy armour, shield, barded warhorse

66 = Captain, full plate armour, shield, pistol
(Goes in the rare choice pikemen)

Core:
80 = 10 Handgunners

80 = 10 Handgunners

80 = 10 Handgunners

Special:
360 = Ricco’s Republican Guard, Ricco, and 24 Pikemen, Full Command

100 = Cannon

Rare:
294 = 24 Pikemen in heavy armour, Full command

Total = 1995

UberDrive
04-02-2007, 07:23
Having never played with Pikemen, I can't conclusively say how effective they are, but it makes for a pretty small army. I'd personally go for a bit more variety; if nothing else, it might be a bit tiring to paint essentially the same unit multiple times. I tend to think that balance is the key to any Empire army.

Specifics:

-The Arch Lector's Warhorse doesn't need barding if he has the Armor of Meteoric Iron...but does he really need it if he's already got a 3+ save from mundane equipment? Perhaps a Grand Master would be a better General anyway.

-Regarding both the Warrior Priests and the Arch Lector: are you really taking full advantage of his rules by putting him with Calvalry? I'm not totally sure on this, but do Horses Hate the enemy via his special rule? I'm also not a huge fan of Great Weapons on mounted models, even less so if you're spending points on a shield.

-On the other hand, I think the Captain should have a Great Weapon, perhaps in combination with the Armor of Meteoric Iron. Alternatively, he could be a Battle Standard Bearer; the Griffon Standard is some good, especially with Pikemen.

-Definitely upgrade a unit of Knights to Inner Circle, also consider increasing unit sizes. No Pistoliers?

-Again, the size of the army concerns me. 650+ points if an awful lot to spent on ~50 men, even if they do have Pikes. I guess it might be a background thing, but I'd definitely go for some Swordsmen; they're a bargain. I'd also like to see some Detachment action.

That's basically all I noticed, but as a disclaimer, I have very little gaming experience, so take it with a grain of salt. Good luck.