PDA

View Full Version : Most Paintable Army

Mordu22
03-02-2007, 03:03
I was wonder what the warseers think the amry that is the easiest to paint. This is in terms of winning best painted at a local type event.

Reflex
03-02-2007, 04:50
i would say bretonnians are very easy to paint, along with ogres and orcs. maybe high and dark elves...

lizardmen arnt to hard, it just depends on what colour scheeme you use i guess..

inane-fedaykin
03-02-2007, 04:59
Orcs, you dip em in green and highlight.

Chicago Slim
03-02-2007, 06:22
Since you were specifically asking about easiest to paint TO A TOP QUALITY (as you put it, "winning best painted"), I'd figure that it pays to start with top-notch models. Obviously, wood elves have some of the prettiest sculpts in the fantasy line. Brets are also some great minis, easy to paint to high quality (though some judges may skimp on your score if you don't hand-paint the heraldry, which can be a challenge).

As for "surprisingly good sculpts", that is, things that you don't think are such great models, but turn out to be excellent: Beastmen (particularly beast herds), Ogres, and Tomb Kings are all great models to paint: enough detail to really bring out some beauty with some basic shading techniques. The same is true for some of the Dwarves and Orcs, but with those two, it's not universally true (some models are great to paint up, others aren't).

High elves are surprisingly boring to paint, IMO: the metal elites are all very much the same but in three slightly different poses, with two very very minor variations each (a total of six sculpts, technically, but half of those are things like a different facial expression, when the rest of the model is identical...) Meanwhile, the core are, well... High elf spearmen are pretty widely regarded as among the ugliest models in the game (goofy helmets, minimal variability in armor and legs, and those gargantuan hands!) and the Silver Helms (again with the goofy helmets) are also a bit bland.

The Empire has some good stuff, too, including the new infantry plastics, and the 6th ed handgunners. I'm not a big fan of the cavalry models, in terms of giving you a lot to do as a painter to really make them shine. They're fine models, but there's only so much you can do with them.

snurl
03-02-2007, 09:02
Skeletons paint up rather quickly. You can go to almost any level of detail and they still look good from 3 feet away.
Cleaning all of the mold lines off these things is another story. It tales ages and lots of band-aids.

squiggoth
03-02-2007, 09:28
I was wonder what the warseers think the amry that is the easiest to paint. This is in terms of winning best painted at a local type event.

You don't win Best Painted awards by picking an army that's easy to paint. In order to win awards, you have to work for them. :p
However, when you have a set deadline to finish an army (say, 12 months), low model count armies allow you to spend more painting time on every individual model .... so steer clear of hordes like Greenskins and Skaven and go for the compact armies .... Daemon-heavy Chaos armies, Bretonnians, that sort of thing.

eleveninches
03-02-2007, 11:09
orcses are super-easy to paint

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
03-02-2007, 11:57
orcs are easy, but boring.
And I agree with Squiggoth

Dspankdo
03-02-2007, 12:09
Skeletons are great to paint, later this year I'll be starting my project log(this is when I find a decent digital camera of 8 mega pixels and get some money to buy 75 tomb king skeletons) 2000 points in 2 months.

skavenguy13
03-02-2007, 12:12
Depends on the size. Ogres are pretty well done, but there's only 1 frigin body for all plastic model! (about 75% of the army) So in a small army it doesn't show that much. But when you get to 2000 points, you should have about 30 identical bodies. In an army of 40.

Oh and the plastic gnoblars from the box of 24 are only partly sculpted. Avoid them.

zak
03-02-2007, 14:03
An army will only look as good as the person painting them wahts then to look. All of the models in the range can be painted just as easily as the others. If your painting is not good then go for armies that look good with simple techniques. Skaven are great for this as a simple dry brush and ink job will leave you just a few bits to pick out and they look great when ranked. The larger models like ogres tend to be seen as stand alone models and will come under greater scrutiny as will skirmishers like the Wood Elves.

n00bLord
03-02-2007, 17:28
Skaven are easy to paint, for me atleast, but you got loads of bodies. the New plague monks are rather simple...

DLord
03-02-2007, 21:23
Lizardmen have relatively simple paint schemes and can look really great with a bit of time

Onisuzume
04-02-2007, 10:39
Lizardmen have relatively simple paint schemes and can look really great with a bit of time
Or you can go all-out at the paint scheme.
And have them end up looking like some of the more colourful lizards.

Neknoh
04-02-2007, 10:46
Bretonnians or Chaos Tzeentch can both be painted to extremes

Weregerbil
04-02-2007, 12:12
The most paintable army is the one were you like the mini the most. Go for that.

Caelas
04-02-2007, 16:18
Khorne armies are quite good, given the amount of hilights that are possible, maybe you could show us how well you can paint?

DeerHeart
04-02-2007, 17:45
I've found ogres to be the easiest to paint, simply because they are the biggest models. Plenty of room for free-hand, patterns, etc... Also easier to make the eyes look good, which to me is what really makes a model "pop".

vorac
05-02-2007, 04:20
whatabout Dark Elves they have superb models and low model count so you can really go into detail.

Caern
05-02-2007, 13:17
Ogres. You can afford to spend many long hours painting a single Ogre and actually still have an army completed within your lifetime, because there are so few models in an army. They are also very versatile models that can be themed in a snap. These aren't mine, but here's an example of a theme: http://www.ogrestronghold.com/hof/darkmaw.htm

rasputin the 3rd
06-02-2007, 17:21
thanks dude, you really put a smile on my face, altogether now! wax on, wax off ogre san.

ZeroTwentythree
06-02-2007, 17:53
You don't win Best Painted awards by picking an army that's easy to paint. In order to win awards, you have to work for them. :p
However, when you have a set deadline to finish an army (say, 12 months), low model count armies allow you to spend more painting time on every individual model .... so steer clear of hordes like Greenskins and Skaven and go for the compact armies .... Daemon-heavy Chaos armies, Bretonnians, that sort of thing.

I'd disagree. I've done pretty well with horde armies. I think it's just important to keep the big picture in mind with horde armies.

Rank & file skaven, as one example aren't exactly detailed or difficult to paint. And you're right, seeing an individual bretonnian knight or WE scout may be more impressive than your typical clanrat or plague monk, a block of 30 of them, painted well, will look impressive and take no longer than a unit of knights.

Also the major eye candy in most armies will be the unique figures. Heroes, war machines, monsters, etc. The horde armies give just as much room for amazing painting & modeling as any other army, IMHO.

IMHO the "most paintable" army will differ for each person. What's important - besides individual talent/skill - is an inspiration to really go the extra mile and spend all that time & effort on the army. I might do pretty well with my skaven (or the WE army I'm contemplating), but hand me an army of HE or lizzies and I just won't have the same enthusiasm.

Naxeur
06-02-2007, 18:42
I definitely would say Tomb Kings. They add the ease of painting skeletons to a great amount of color and flair from all the Egyptian like goodness. Definitely a winner for a great looking army fast.