PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with your Army

IronNerd
03-02-2007, 07:03
As I am fast approaching a noteworthy journey in my life, this question has been growing in my mind. I am from the great (well, mediocre really) state of Nebraska in the US, and in a couple weeks I leave to spend the semester in Melbourne, Australia. Considering I will be living there for a few months, I really can only bring my essentials. Sadly, this means the figs will stay home. I'm sure there is a great environment down there, and it would be interesting to experience. Anyway, on to the question:
Do you ever take your army with you on your travels? Say you're going to the big city, and you just HAVE to check out the Battle Bunker. Do you like to get out and see how other groups do it? Just some food for thought...

philbrad2
03-02-2007, 09:06
No I haven't, surely you could tuck a 500pt force away somewhere in your luggage. Shouldn't take up too much space.

PhilB
:chrome:

ReDavide
03-02-2007, 10:06
I can fit about 1500 points of Thousand Sons in a GW black case. I stick the case inside my big duffel bag that gets checked.

The black case is very sturdy, so the only real worry is heat and opening. Checked bags generally aren't exposed to extreme heat, and it's packed tight inside my duffel so opening isn't a worry either.

It is somewhat bulky though. It often forces me to check baggage when I otherwise would just take carry-ons.

Slaaneshi Slave
03-02-2007, 15:30
Just post your army to yourself a couple of days before you are due to fly.

Free Spirit
03-02-2007, 19:24
lol, i'd be frightened by mailing something like that. I would wonder for days if it's going to be allright. I even wonder if my shirts will arive when i buy something on the net. :D

SanguineV
03-02-2007, 21:20
I took my entire army with me when I travelled in Europe and North America for 9 months. Once or twice I sent it through bagagge and suffered minor damage to a couple of models (maybe 30 minutes of gluing to fix). The rest of the time I took it hand lugagge and didn't have any problems.

As long as your case is reasonably sturdy and the models properly packed it won't cause any problems, just be prepared to unpack the models to security if asked. Also if they show no knowledge of what Warhammer is then tell them it is like chess only you use custom pieces. ;)

Finally, there is a decent gaming scene in Melbourne, might be worth looking on wargamerAU for Australian clubs and meetings.

Clang
04-02-2007, 01:24
just don't mention words like 'grenades', 'melta bombs' or 'missile launchers' when going through customs or check-in...

beefHeart
04-02-2007, 13:47
Just post your army to yourself a couple of days before you are due to fly.

Honestly this is your best option... Packages can be insured and as long as you pack it up securely it should be fine. The Airlines lose far more luggage(everyone I know has a story) then FedEx loses packages.

just my 2 cents...

beef