PDA

View Full Version : Warrior heavy Chaos army

Caligula
03-02-2007, 15:38
Greetings all. I was just wondering if it's possible to make a Chaos Warrior heavy army that's still effective on the tabletop. It seems as though many Chaos players scorn the use of Chaos Warriors, stating that Chaos Knights can do their job as well, if not better.

I, however, really like the look and feel of Chaos Warriors and really want to incorporate a large number of them in my armies. What would you say is the most effective way of doing this? What kind of Chaos Warrior units should I be looking at? I'm not looking to choose them at the exclusion of Marauders, because I realize the Marauders are an excellent source of static CR and add some much-needed numbers to a Chaos force. I do want to effectively add some Warriors though...so what are your suggestions?

DLord
03-02-2007, 15:48
I used to have an army that sounds quite like what you're after. I managed to get hold of LOADS of chaos warriors really cheap so that was my army.

I always made medium size units(12-16) chaos warriors with minimal upgrades just basic warriors(+Standard), and one larger unit 24 with a general on foot(sometimes with BSB sometimes i'd have him in his own unit)
Also marauders in small units(15ish) are great for blocking the enemy to help manuever your warriors around as you wont have the biggest army half the time.
I'd always chuck a few magick items to characters in units for nice little supprises. and i had a unit or two of chaos hounds for taking out artillery/archers

Using minimal upgrades for your units you will find you still beat most infantry and the enemy should be quite overwhelmed by the amount of chaos warriors you have.

Slaaneshi Slave
03-02-2007, 15:51
My force is mainly warriors (backed up by Daemonettes) and in my experience they are just too expensive, and not survivable enough to make them useful. Every single game they either get shot up by artillery, get rear charged and run or just fail to perform. Too expensive for what they do.

Makaber
03-02-2007, 16:28
Their problem is, I think, that they're basically a really really good rank and file model, which means you're paying vast sums of points per rank bonus. Other elite troops can work their way around this by operating in smaller units, but Chaos Warriors just don't pack the punch to fit terribly well in this role. With great weapons you still only get one attack, and with additional hand weapons they still don't hit that much harder than comparativly cheaper units.

What I'd like to see, is a 4+ chaos armour on all chaos warriors, not just chosen. Hand weapon and shield warriors would suddenly have a very respectable 2+ save, making them viable as an anvil unit (where Marauders now are vastly superior), and the more offensive weapon options would still be backed by a decent 4+ save. I feel this would help a lot.

If you want to use warriors, I'd suggest either going Khorne, or limiting yourself to a unit of Chosen, because basic Warriors just cost too much to be fielded in large blocks, and don't have the punch to be fielded in smaller units.

Caligula
03-02-2007, 16:44
Okay great, thanks for the advice so far everyone. At this point it's looking like a rather bad idea to go extremely Warrior heavy. Oh well, the truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?;)

Brother Maynard
03-02-2007, 18:31
I wouldn't get too discouraged about using them, because it basically comes down to your own tactics. You might actually come up with something quite viable for a Warrior heavy force. Personally, I may run with two 12 man blocks of Khorne Warriors in my games over 2,500 pts. The are super intimidating to my opponent, and when they reach the enemy lines, they usually wreck shop. Shooting and getting flanked is a problem, but that's up to you to take care of with other more specialized units such as Marauder Horsemen, Warhounds, and/or Furries.

You should try it out a few times before writing the idea off.

Good Luck!
BM

zak
03-02-2007, 18:31
Unfortunately it's one of the biggest failings of the last Chaos book. The Warriors are too expensive and just not effective enough against standard infantry that is far cheaper.

Inkosi
04-02-2007, 05:52
large blocks of marauders do a better job.

if you really insist on warriors, try a few proxy battles and see how you do. if you can live with the fact that the warriors die just as easily as rank and file and at a high cost then consider buying them. if not dont.

what works for chaos warriors? MSU warriors preferably with the mark of slanesh. immune to psy helps with the small unit size. khorne is second best here because of frenzied.