PDA

View Full Version : My Eldar Army (Ulthwé)

Strahd
03-02-2007, 16:52
After much consideration I decided to make a small project log here myself. Mostly to push myself into painting a bit more and thus finally finish what I started so many years ago.

First of all I'd like to explain what you will and won't see here. You WON'T see:

1) Beautifully painted miniatures :) . I'm not a good painter and I haven't really got the time to try and improve that much. My goal is to put together an army that will look decent enough so that I can field them to play.

2) Heavily converted miniatures. As with the above I'm simply not good enough. The only converted miniatures I will have will be the ones that don't exist otherwise, I.E. a Warlock on a jetbike.

What you WILL see here:

1) Lots of old Eldar miniatures. I never really liked the 3rd edition miniatures that came out so I have stuck with my RT/2nd edition ones until just recently. I will update where I see fit but for the most part I still think the originals look best :)

2) Miniatures painted to a standard that everyone can achieve so all you beginners don't have to feel so bad ;)

After I've made that clear I'd like to tell a little about myself. I'm currently 29 years old and I started playing during the RT era which was also the time when I bought most of my miniatures. I saw some Eldar miniatures at a friends place and took a liking to them. Deciding to start up an army myself I had to start with choosing my Craftworld. My friend had Alaitoc so I obviously had to pick another one. After looking at the different color schemes and Craftworld runes I finally settled on Ulthwé.

2nd edition came along and I was happy as a kid at christmas. Ulthwé got a lot more attention and they even got a really cool special character. This was the era when I played the most and almost every weekend was spend in my basement together with my friends playing huge battles.

After some more years 3rd edition came out and suddenly the Eldar race was changed completely. This together with my studies taking up most of my time meant that I lost interest in the game.

Then 4th edition came out and a friend of mine suggested that we'd give it a go. And once we started it was like we never left. Lots and lots of fun. So I figured I might as well finish off the army I started so long ago. Right now I have made a list of what I attempt to finish for each month for this year. The goal is to have a working 2000 points army by summer and a 3000 one by next year. What complicates the matter is that we have just started up WFB as well so I am currently switching between painting up my Eldar army and a 2000 point High Elf army :D . Anyhow, here's the project list for February.

7 Storm Guardians
1 4th ed Dark Reaper Exarch
3 War Walkers
1 Jetbike w. Shuriken Cannon

Currently painting - 4th ed Dark Reaper Exarch

Below I'll post my army as it stands right now beginning with the HQ, then on to Elite, Troops, Fast Attack and Heavy Support.

So without further ado here's my current HQ choices:

Strahd
03-02-2007, 17:00
And on to my

Elite:

Not decided whether I'll paint up four more of each of the aspects or whether I shall invest in completely new ones. Leaning towards the latter as I'm keen on having the new Exarchs and they can still not be bought seperately :( The Wraith Guards are to be led by the Bone Singer model representing a Spirit Seer.

Strahd
03-02-2007, 17:05
Troop choices:

Here I will update the jetbikes with new upper bodies and helmets. I will also add one more bike with a Shuriken Cannon and one with a Warlock. As for the Dire Avengers and Rangers I will upgrade to 4th ed versions when time and money permits. I have finished painting my Storm Squad but I have yet to glue them together.

Strahd
03-02-2007, 17:06
Troop Transports:

Strahd
03-02-2007, 17:08
Fast Attack:

Strahd
03-02-2007, 17:14
Heavy Support:

Oh and yes, I know, I glued the Ulthwé banner in the wrong direction :o It's been that way since I made it over 10 years ago and I never got around to fix it. And now that a new Wraith Lord model has been released I'm not sure I ever will :D

Voronwe[MQ]
03-02-2007, 19:53
Not too shabby - I especially likes Maugan Ra despite his red shuriken cannon, and that's really good!

Voronwe

Strahd
05-02-2007, 10:04
Update: Finished my new Dark Reaper Exarch. Decided to paint him in the same way as my old one and I like the result. The picture didn't turn out that good however. Will replace it with a better one later on. Also glued my Storm Squad together. These 11 + Warlock are supposed to go into one of the Wave Serpents.

Current Project: War Walker Squadron

ss_cherubael
05-02-2007, 11:15
Hey i beg to differ with you on what u wont see, i think the painting on these guys is easily above table top standard and you should be damn proud of it, some of the nicest and cleanest eldar ive seen for ages. Good work!

swamp_slug
05-02-2007, 13:20
have to agree with ss_cherubael there, the painting on these guys is fantastic. I'm especially fond of the freehand on the rangers and warp spider, those vines and webs are cool!

Rangerrob
05-02-2007, 13:32
Very nice work! yeah well above table top level.

Looking forward to more updates.

Strahd
07-02-2007, 12:56
Thanks for the kind remarks but compared to a lot of stuff here on WarSeer my painting is not that good :) . I'm still amazed when I look at what some people accomplish.
Anyway I have almost finished my first War Walker now. All that's left is to clean up some of the highlights, paint the base and glue it together. After that's done I'll deal with the other two. I usually do it this way when I start a new kind of miniature. It's always good to make a 'try-out' version first so I can find which colours I want to use etc. etc. When it comes to infantry models I usually paint 5 at a time though to speed it up a bit.

FearFrost
07-02-2007, 17:34
Very second edition! *wipes a nostalgic tear from the corner of his eye*

The only part of them that seems sort of dated are the bases...plain goblin green just doesnt get the job done anymore :) Maybe try sprucing them up with some snow or static grass or rocks or something?

I like the new DR exarch, btw.

Frost

Arhalien
07-02-2007, 19:08
Nice looking work there Strahd, that is ver good painting. Nice to see some of the 2nd edition eldar creeping in there; some of them were much better than theior 3rd ed replacements IMO, although I think the new ones beat them :).

Got to agree with Frost on the bases though (hah, there's me being hypocritical with bases painted nothing but scorched brown :D)

Strahd
08-02-2007, 12:28
FearFrost: Yes I agree on the bases. I usually only glue some saw dust on them, paint them goblin green and then give them a slight dry brush with a lighter colour. But it might be time make some 'upgrades' on them so to speak :D

Here's two work in progress pics on my first new War Walker.

Arhalien
08-02-2007, 12:32
ooh, nice work on that war walker so far; the red 'hooves' look really effective. How was it to make; i;ve heard some bad thingsa about putting them together, and how are you going to arm it?

Strahd
08-02-2007, 12:38
ooh, nice work on that war walker so far; the red 'hooves' look really effective. How was it to make; i;ve heard some bad thingsa about putting them together, and how are you going to arm it?

Well the hooves seem to be a bit of a mess really. It was difficult to get it to stand straight and in the end it still ended up leaning a bit to one side. I hope that I'll get a better result with the other two.

As for their armament I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning on an oldfashioned Bright Lance/Scatter Laser combo for all of them but I'm not sure. I'm still thinking of a way to make the weapons replacable. Perhaps some tiny magnets will do the trick.

Alex Under
08-02-2007, 13:51
Great work so far: Love the war walker! The bright red matches the general black coat so well. :)

Strahd
25-02-2007, 12:05
Well, well. Due to some unforseen events I haven't been able to paint as much as I'd hoped (ain't that always the case). I have finished two of the War Walkers and I'm currently painting the third and last one. When all three are done I'll be sure to post a new picture.

Arhalien
25-02-2007, 12:10
I look forward to it Strahd, especially given that WIP pic you posted a little while back.

Keep up the good work! :D

Asuril
25-02-2007, 23:30
Shut up about not being a 'good painter.'

They look fantastic. Don't be all wimpy about what you can do, it's annoying.

Chaplin Davius
25-02-2007, 23:55
Keep up the good work, a very solid army. It's nice to see an Ulthwe army, I know alot of people who put little effort into Ulthwe armies and it's a shame.

Later Days