PDA

View Full Version : Techmarines: worthwhile or wasteful?

Starchild
04-02-2007, 21:47
Right, I've been playing 40k since 1987. I've always liked Techmarines, and now that they will count as Elites without taking up a FOC slot in the new DA Codex, I'm thinking of using one (or two) in my DA army.

Who here on Warseer regularly uses a Techmarine? I can see some potential with 4 servitors and full servo harness; the servitors can provide a lot of anti-personnel fire while the Techmarine can be a beast in assaults. What perplexes me is that I never see anyone use them. If nothing else, the model is great, and a unit that can repair vehicles is quite useful.

So what's the deal: are they worth using or not? :skull:

ArtificerArmour
04-02-2007, 21:53
I'm making a ravenwing army and although the uses of a technmarine on a bike is awesome for tank fixing, I won't actually have any tanks...so, pointless.

It's up to how much you rely on tanks.

hivefleetcarrion
04-02-2007, 21:53
i think they are great, but thats possibly because i just love the model

with the full kit i think they rock, they can take down heavy armor, toast hoards with the flamer, and take on big nastiest with their fist attacks. only prob i can see with them is if you take the servitors, then they lose their ic status and hits can be distributed onto them

Starchild
04-02-2007, 22:06
with the full kit i think they rock, they can take down heavy armor, toast hoards with the flamer, and take on big nastiest with their fist attacks. only prob i can see with them is if you take the servitors, then they lose their ic status and hits can be distributed onto themDo you use a Techmarine regularly? Sounds like the Techmarine epitomizes Space Marine versatility. As far as losing independent character status, that's not such a big deal since it's a mixed armour unit; i.e., each servitor takes a wound before the Techmarine does.

I'm making a ravenwing army and although the uses of a technmarine on a bike is awesome for tank fixing, I won't actually have any tanks...so, pointless.Well, I'm having a think about the possibilities of Techmarines with dreadnoughts. A Techmarine on a bike can't take any servitors as far as I know, but a Techmarine on foot could really help keep dreadys alive in a game. This might be :cheese:, but a venerable dreadnought with a Techmarine nearby could potentially last a full game without being destroyed.

Duhgame
04-02-2007, 23:00
Since when can you put a techmarine on a bike?! I thought that was disallowed in the FAQ's. Did they change this for the new DA codex? If so I'll start using them, and they also no longer use up an elite FOC space?! That will help since I use mine up on Dread's.

lord_blackfang
04-02-2007, 23:04
They're good flavour, but bad value for points. I can find a better use for 100 pts than a twin-linked plasma pistol and a WS4 I4 power weapon/fist that can be singled out in close combat. Like a 5-man tactical squad. Heck, you could almost get a dreadnought.

Kahadras
04-02-2007, 23:24
If you have a free Elite slot then I feel the Techmarine can be a worthwhile buy. He's great support for a squad and is pretty handy to have around in close combat. Repairing vehicles could be a good plan if he takes a servitor retinue but I always think he's better off as an extra character in your command squad.

Kahadras

GodofWarTx
04-02-2007, 23:48
a techmarine with 4 gun servitors is a GREAT way to bring additional firepower to an army. I use one often in all my armies from time to time, but most if not all the time in my Ultramarine list for that EXTRA little bit of dakka, and for my Black Templars to act as a substitute for the fact that they cant take Devastators.

VetSgtNamaan
05-02-2007, 00:21
Well I think they are worth it if they are used properly. I did a divergent chapter that was lead by techmarines and it was a blast to play. Though not the most competitive of lists I made alotof fluff to for it.

Seleucus
05-02-2007, 00:36
Since when can you put a techmarine on a bike?! I thought that was disallowed in the FAQ's. Did they change this for the new DA codex? If so I'll start using them, and they also no longer use up an elite FOC space?! That will help since I use mine up on Dread's.

You have always been able to take a Techmarine on a bike.

There was an 'unofficial FAQ' from Pete Haines on the GW forum which said you could not take a full harness on a bike or jump pack but had to stick with just the one servo-arm, but with Pete leving GW and the forums being closed, this no longer exists, so, until a new 'official' FAQ prohibits it, he can take the full servo-harness on a bike, or with a jump pack - makes for one nasty character!

As to running him with a Dreadnaught, this is done quite regularly - keep him behind the Dread, in base to base all the time, use him to repair it as needed, and pop him out to charge/counter-charge as required!

Seleucus

Lord Malek The Red Knight
05-02-2007, 01:02
There was an 'unofficial FAQ' from Pete Haines on the GW forum which said you could not take a full harness on a bike or jump pack but had to stick with just the one servo-arm, but with Pete leving GW and the forums being closed, this no longer exists,
AgeOfStrife (ageofstrife.com) kept a copy (http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=244), thankfully. :)

cheers Spacker :D

~ Tim