PDA

View Full Version : UK GT final results

Yak
05-02-2007, 00:21
Here's the top 10 from UK GT this year:

1. Dimitrios Kasdovasilis - Lizardmen (2nd gen slaan)
2. Tristram Smith - Woodelves (balanced troop heavy woodelf force)
3. Jacob Collins (me) - Woodelves (treeman ancient + treeman combat force)
4. Paolo Belluti - Skaven (grey seer, 3 warlocks, 2 WLCs, 3 ratling guns)
5. Andrea Manfroni - Woodelves
6. Chris Baker - Orcs & Goblins
7. Chris Wilson - Woodelves
8. Stian Engebretsen - Woodelves
9. Thodris Kapareliotis - Dwarfs
10. Adam Turner - Vampire Counts

The large amount of (often very large) woods, and high density of terrain (up to 12 pieces on some tables), coupled with the new football-style scoring system all seem to have heavily slanted the results towards Woodelves.

Special mention has to go to Phil Manwaring's ogres, who were on top table for 3 games (IIRC), and lost only to the winner and runner-up, placing 12th. Great army, great general, but some bad dice (especially in the last game).

vorac
05-02-2007, 01:24
wow i'm so glad not to be in the UK, how utterly boring

Wargamejunkie
05-02-2007, 01:42
It might be me, but I have yet to see woodelves as that powerfull. With all the woods there, would be the only way I can imagine that many in the top 10.

Xavier
05-02-2007, 02:10
Uh, wood elves are the best army for making a 'take on all comers' force with, pure and simple. That is why they are so good in tournaments.

That being said I have no doubt that with all those woods it certainly did favour them.

All the same, nice work Yak can't wait for your battle report/write up. One quick question, did you end up going with the battle standard with Asyendi's Bane and Hail of Doom, or did you stick with the moonstone?

Kinda sucks, I really wanted to attend, but circumstances conspired against me and after a decent heat performance as well. :cries:

Fred_Scuttle
05-02-2007, 03:13
Wow.......scarry Woodsies there. Would have expected more of a mix.....

And....in ENGLAND none-the-less......no OMGWTF Brit Knight lists....interesting.......

Yak
05-02-2007, 07:30
@Xavier: No, I stuck with the moonstone. It didn't do that much, but then my BSB only got killed in one game. I think i only used in two games.

@ Fred_Scuttle: The highest ranking Bret player was Joe Sturge, who came in 15th. Next one after that was in 32nd. Brets seem to have lost a lot of thier edge, but again, terrain may have been a big factor.

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 08:17
If the terrain was as dense as you say, it seems as though that seriously affected the game results, with no brets in the top field and way to many wood elves.

I don't want to take any credit from the wood elf players though, who I am sure had very good armies which they most certainly played very well.

Congrats to the third place!

Yak
05-02-2007, 08:23
By no means all tables had dense terrain, but some did. Tables tended to have 1 very large wood (as in could contain most of woodelf army), 2 medium sized woods or 3 small woods as a minimum, and may have had other small difficult terrain pieces on the table.

One thing was very clear though: they didn't abide by the terrain deployment rules in the rule book: a lot of tables had something near the centre of the table.

ffarsight
05-02-2007, 09:08
By no means all tables had dense terrain, but some did. Tables tended to have 1 very large wood (as in could contain most of woodelf army), 2 medium sized woods or 3 small woods as a minimum, and may have had other small difficult terrain pieces on the table.

HI, thanks for post the results, GO WOODIES, could the wood elves players put the extra wood in the tables? If so, man thatīs one big forest table. :)

Highborn
05-02-2007, 09:16
One thing was very clear though: they didn't abide by the terrain deployment rules in the rule book: a lot of tables had something near the centre of the table.

That certainly would have hamstrung Bretonnians. I'm surprised that RAF didn't have as much dominance though - being able to fly over woods, it should have still been able to done some damage provided it could draw line of sight?

I'm actually quite disappointed by the results - the tournament certainly seems to have favoured the Wood Elves in the terrain setup.

DeathlessDraich
05-02-2007, 09:24
Well done, Yak!
You might see me there next year - I'll be happy to be better than 3rd ... from the bottom if I can even make it that far!:p

I think the O&G have performed exceedingly well.
What was the highest ranking TK, Empire, HE and DE armies?

infernus31
05-02-2007, 10:30
Just out of interest what was the winning Lizardmen list like? (as a Lizardmen player myself with a tournamnet coming up :) )

ashc
05-02-2007, 10:34
Those results certainly seem skewed towards wood elves (and Im really not taking anything away from the Woody generals with that comment) considering one of the highest ranking WE players even says there seemed to be a large amount of wood elf favourable terrain about.

I wonder if the boards had been set up as suggested in the rulebook how things would have worked out; its usually interesting to see the results of the Warhammer Tournaments (less the 40k one) as I consider most races balanced.

Nice to see the Ogres given an honourable mention anyway :)

Ash

EvC
05-02-2007, 11:34
Wood Elves, Wood Elves, Wood Elves and Wood Elves. What a surprise, and what a travesty.

I believe I've actually played the kid who came second- I hope he'd managed to stick all his cavalry riders on the horses by the time of the final! If he used the same list as when I played him it's only as balanced as a Wood Elf list can be, i.e. Level 4 Wizard, Treeman, Alter Kindred, 90% immune to psychology... no slight on him for that, but yet more evidence of the poor overbalanced Wood Elf list (omg I'm turning into Raebe :D ).

Yak
05-02-2007, 14:26
Quick Run down of top placed from each race:

Lizardmen - 1st
Woodelves - 2nd
Skaven - 4th
Orc and Goblin - 6th
Dwarfs - 9th
Vampire Counts - 10th
Ogre Kingdoms - 12th
Dark Elves - 13th
Beasts of Chaos - 14th
Bretonnians - 15th
High Elves - 20th
Empire (old book) - 22nd
Hordes of Chaos - 30th
Tomb Kings - 47th

The Winning Lizard list looked something like:
2nd Gen Slaan
Jaguar Saurus
Skink Priest

Skinks

Krox
Krox
Terradons
Terradons/chamo skinks - not sure which

Sallies

Vattendroppe
05-02-2007, 17:08
I wonder what was their thought placing 12 pieces of terrain on the table, obviously it was a bit unbalanced.

pcgamer72
05-02-2007, 17:36
Thanks for the info Yak. I always love to hear how the UK tourneys go, because I have a lot of respect for the system. I figured WE would do well, but 50% of the top 10 is a bit extreme!

On another note, the top Chaos Mortals player? That seems kind of odd as well, at least to me.

Voodoo Boyz
05-02-2007, 18:00
Would like to know what the Dwarf Player had. I'm assuming Thorek was still (and rightfully) castrated per the ruling they had on him back at the heats?

Il Magno
05-02-2007, 18:38
Anyone could describe the woody lists that arrived in top five positions?

Chiron
05-02-2007, 18:47
Anyone could describe the woody lists that arrived in top five positions?

http://www.thecheesemobile.com/_images/why/cheese.jpg

should just about sum it up ;)

Vattendroppe
05-02-2007, 18:49
@ Chiron

10 points for that one!

But I'd recon that it was the terrain and not the cheesyness (?) of the WE armies.

Il Magno
05-02-2007, 20:43
Thanks for the answer.
Very cleaver: congratulation.......:D

Anyone has some more info?
Salami and ham are not interesting to me......(just in case)

Tastyfish
05-02-2007, 21:01
Quick Run down of top placed from each race:

Lizardmen - 1st
Woodelves - 2nd
Skaven - 4th
Orc and Goblin - 6th
Dwarfs - 9th
Vampire Counts - 10th
Ogre Kingdoms - 12th
Dark Elves - 13th
Beasts of Chaos - 14th
Bretonnians - 15th

Even with the Asrai claiming half of the top ten, that looks pretty damn good as far as balance goes, especially considering that High elves and old book Empire aren't that far behind. Chaos I'm a little suprised about but then I'm sure they've always done better in friendly games than the tournament scene as they are a bit easier to pick up and can be devestating at lower point limits, we all know the Tomb Kings need a little bit of love though.

Kahadras
05-02-2007, 21:13
Seems a bit of a shame that the Wood elves appear to have had such an advantage. Lots of woods gives the WE a bit of an unfair advantage IMO. Still nice to see the results posted up. Kinda feel sorry for Brets. Dense terrain was one of my pet hates back when I used to play them.

Kahadras

Vogon
05-02-2007, 21:30
Any chance of a full list? I'm mostly interested in a friend of mine (Robert Hamilton) who went to the GT finals with a Beastman hoard.

I'd love to know how he did but I've not heard anything back from him yet. (I hope that he was the top placed beastman player)

Cheers

Vogon

Yak
05-02-2007, 22:02
The top beastmen player was the guy I played in game 6 - Rob Lane, one of the Dragon Slayers - also nominated for best painted army. He had horrendous luck - truely appalling. Your friend got 1 win and 3 draws, placing 95th.

Vogon
06-02-2007, 02:30
The top beastmen player was the guy I played in game 6 - Rob Lane, one of the Dragon Slayers - also nominated for best painted army. He had horrendous luck - truely appalling. Your friend got 1 win and 3 draws, placing 95th.

Thanks for letting me know.

intellectawe
06-02-2007, 03:10
I wonder what was their thought placing 12 pieces of terrain on the table, obviously it was a bit unbalanced.

Wow...

No wonder Wood elves did so well. 12 pieces of terrain!?!?!? The BBB suggests up to 6 max for a normal sized table. But 12! Wow.

How about the next UK GT, tables have 0 pieces of terrain. Swing the pendulum the other way, and lets see how those wood elves survive.

Tutore
06-02-2007, 14:37
Although I think Wood Elves are too unbalanced (they are too hard to kill, you need a special list against them!), well done! I see many italians like me in the top ten, although the first one seems greek by his name.

Inkosi
06-02-2007, 15:07

can anyone confirm that? cos if its true then it would turn the whole thing into a fiasco.

12?? you might as well just say all the battles took place in Asrai.

not taking any credit away from the woodies players but such a high concentration of woodies in the top 10 really speaks alot.

o well might be time i consider buying some centigors before my woodie fren puts 12 terrain onto the table :cheese:

mooby
06-02-2007, 16:30
Oh look another convo on how GW HQ are flushing fantasy down the toilet by ruining the WF GT's with too much terrain.
Even in my local in Epsom, Surrey there are complaints on the amount of terrain at WF games!!! Why don't they learn that fantasy plays best with minimal terrain that is effective and not over bearing for any army bar lizardmen and welves (wood + elves. go figure) What a shame hey?. Either way well done.

Arhalien
06-02-2007, 19:08
The BBB

That would be BRB :p (gah! I;m becoming more pedantic that ever!).

Nice to see HE didn;t come last, I'll be interested seeing the results when the new book comes out. Interesting to note that the Lizzie lst only contained a single saurus; hardly a fluffy force.

I'm also interested that Joe Sturge wasn;t using that Winter themed Woodie army that;s been shown around a bit; he might have done a bit better if he had (if this was a different Joe Sturge then I;m an idiot :))

Tastyfish
06-02-2007, 19:52
I thought he said one table had 12 pieces on it - not that they all did. Seemed a good idea to me, having a mixture of different terrain densities across the tournament as a whole.

Vogon
06-02-2007, 20:59
That would be BRB :p (gah! I;m becoming more pedantic that ever!).

Nice to see HE didn;t come last, I'll be interested seeing the results when the new book comes out. Interesting to note that the Lizzie lst only contained a single saurus; hardly a fluffy force.

I'm also interested that Joe Sturge wasn;t using that Winter themed Woodie army that;s been shown around a bit; he might have done a bit better if he had (if this was a different Joe Sturge then I;m an idiot :))

[Pedant mode on] that would be "I'm", "didn't", "wasn't" and "that's" not "I;m", "didn;t", "wasn;t" and "that;s" then :p Strangely you got "I'll" correct ;) [/]

Sorry I couldn't resist that one

Cheers

Vogon

alenui
06-02-2007, 23:50
Joe Sturge played one of my mates in the heats so we had a chat with him and he said he would go mad if he played with his wood elves anymore. Somebody else actually was using his wood elf army down there. Apparently he got screwed by an Italian bloke who wasted time so much that they only got 3 turns. The judges said they could have more time but Joe couldn't stand to keep playing the guy so they ended at turn 3.