PDA

View Full Version : Lord Choices for Slaanesh: Help

spud
05-02-2007, 07:08
I've decided that I finally want to start up a chaos army for fantasy after years of playing 40k. I've decided that I want to go with Slaanesh, obviously.

I've picked up both the Hordes of Chaos and BoC books and am stumped as to what I should be taking as my army's general.

This list is rather large:

Mortal Lord
Mortal Sorceror
Wargor
Bray Shaman
Doombull
Shaggoth
Daemon Prince
Exalted Daemon
Greater Daemon

Might have missed a couple, don't have the books handy at the moment.

I love all of the choices and am starting to learn some of the strengths of each, on paper at least. For instance I know that a Shaggoth with the mark of slaanesh and a great weapon is a force to be reckoned with.

My plan is to start at 2000 points and I was wondering what the odds on favorite was for a Slaaneshi lord at this points level. One that might be a bit forgiving for a new-ish player to fantasy/chaos as well.

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 07:27
I think the most "forgiving" would be a tooled up mortal lord, but an exalted daemon might work as well, albeit not as "forgiving" if you mess up :P

also, remember that your general effects what units you can have and as what choices. As I myself am aiming towards a mortal army, I am planning to run a Lord of Slaanesh, but that might change as I'm just as drawn towards a level 4 sorceror.

If you instead want a mainly daemonic army or a mainly beasts oriented one, then you would be better of with one of those.

Neknoh
05-02-2007, 07:32
Exalted Champion with a Hallberd and Gaze of the Gods for general

then, take either a Beastlord with the Daemonsword, or an Exalted Sorceror with the Daemonsword

for a second Hero choice, go for a Sorceror or Exalted Champion on a Steed of Slaanesh with the Berserker Sword

The three most common configurations for Lord choices for Slaanesh are:

Lord of Slaanesh
- Steed of Slaanesh, Pendant of Slaanesh, Blade of Blood, Enchanted Shield, Gaze of the Gods

Beastlord of Slaanesh (using an Exalted as the general)
- Chaos Daemonsword, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour

Exalted Sorceror of Slaanesh
- Chaos Daemonsword, Spell familliar, on foot, in chariot or on a normal Daemonic Steed

inq.serge
05-02-2007, 13:06
The last one (sorceror with d-sword) is nasty against units he's spasming, and since they are auto-hit, no chance of rolling a 1 on to hit roll and hit yourself.

Slaaneshi Slave
05-02-2007, 15:42
My personal favourite is the Exalted Sorcerer (lvl 4) on a Barded Chaos Steed, with an Enchanted Shield, Gaze of the Gods (for a 1+ save and a 4+ ward save) and a Spell Familiar (so he gets 5 spells). I like to back him up with 2 level 2 Sorcerers with a spell familiar and dispell scroll each and use them to annhiliate a flank.

kyussinchains
05-02-2007, 16:05
I'm still not a huge fan of the daemonsword, although as stated it works best on a sorcerer who can cast enrapturing spasms on his target unit. Typically I give him the talisman of protection with the remaining 15 points, mounted on a steed, he at least gets a 5+ save followed by a 6+ ward against any hits from the daemonsword, giving him around a 45% chance of saving them.

Mephistofeles
05-02-2007, 16:59
My personal favourite is the Exalted Sorcerer (lvl 4) on a Barded Chaos Steed, with an Enchanted Shield, Gaze of the Gods (for a 1+ save and a 4+ ward save) and a Spell Familiar (so he gets 5 spells). I like to back him up with 2 level 2 Sorcerers with a spell familiar and dispell scroll each and use them to annhiliate a flank.

Can you use two spell familiars?

Slaaneshi Slave
05-02-2007, 17:15
On different characters? Doesn't say you can't. The characters only have one each.

M_M
05-02-2007, 17:30
IIRC it counts as a arcane item therefore only 1 per army

Slaaneshi Slave
05-02-2007, 17:36
Well that sucks... :(

MarcoPollo
06-02-2007, 19:54
Lord of Slaanesh, bindings of slaanesh, rending sword, chaos steed.

Very Very nasty.

I don't like the sorceror/demonsword as I wind up hesitating when to send him into battle. Too soon and he kills himself, to late and you waste your points.

Selsaral
07-02-2007, 17:15
I have used a daemon prince with the gift that makes him a beast general. Plenty of points left over to buy him all sorts of nasty gifts. The true ward save gift is particularly useful. Depending on who I am facing I generally place him in a big unit of daemonettes. He cannot be individually targetted when in a unit of daemonettes now (7th ed), he always strikes first which is fantastic for an infantry unit which is often getting charged, and most importantly he can be a level 4 caster (which I always choose). Buy tons of beast herds (they love his 9 leadership) and have fun!

Esco Thomson
07-02-2007, 17:40
I'd opt for the aforementioned level 4 sorceror. Slaanesh magic is my favorite of the chaos lores.

Neknoh
07-02-2007, 18:35
I have used a daemon prince with the gift that makes him a beast general. Plenty of points left over to buy him all sorts of nasty gifts. The true ward save gift is particularly useful. Depending on who I am facing I generally place him in a big unit of daemonettes. He cannot be individually targetted when in a unit of daemonettes now (7th ed), he always strikes first which is fantastic for an infantry unit which is often getting charged, and most importantly he can be a level 4 caster (which I always choose). Buy tons of beast herds (they love his 9 leadership) and have fun!

He's got the Flying rule, and therefore cannot join any units of Daemonettes

Jack of Blades
07-02-2007, 18:49
Daemon-whatevers are basically a waste of points.

Imo, Lords of Chaos are actually better. If youre kitting out a Daemon-Prince, stop fooling yourself and take a Greater Daemon.

I like the Blade of Blood and Chaos Runeshield, as well as Chaos Armour and Mark of Nurgle and a Daemonic Mount for a Lord of Nurgle. Tough to kill with a 2+ AS and the blade. Not that expensive. I didnt use the Talisman of Wasted Points for the 15 remaining points. I guess you could exchange the MoN for MoS.

feintstar
07-02-2007, 23:11
The sorceror Lord is really very good. Even though I miscasted 6 times with him in the last two games, including a double one, and a miscast that, if passed, would have left him alive and triumphant (enrapturing spasms versus a giant's flank charge), instead of oh so very dead. But I miscasted another 2 times with my other magic users inthose same games, and Irresistable forced another 2 times. It was actually rather daft.

jme
07-02-2007, 23:36

You cant give a sorcerer the enchanted shield, if they cant take a normal shield, they cant take a magical one.

spud
08-02-2007, 03:23
You cant give a sorcerer the enchanted shield, if they cant take a normal shield, they cant take a magical one.

Uh...yes he can. HoC says that a sorcerer can take any common or chaos magic items. A Magical shield falls into that category irregardless of the fact that he isn't allowed the option for a mundane shield.

Neknoh
08-02-2007, 07:58
There was an errata saying that characters without the option for a shield in their normalw wargear cannot take a magical shield

Do note, this is only true for Shields

spud
08-02-2007, 15:33
well...nevermind then. =P

MarcoPollo
08-02-2007, 15:42
He's got the Flying rule, and therefore cannot join any units of Daemonettes

I was always under the impression that the rule was limiting to flying charachters not joining flying units.

Given the concept that characters can be considered units, I can see the controversy here.

Although I don't have the rule book handy ATM, I have never had a problem putting a demon character in a unit of demons from any player.

inq.serge
08-02-2007, 15:45
NO! NO! NO!

Flying chars may join units.
Chars mounted on flying critters may not join units.