PDA

View Full Version : Shooting and tall buildings

JAB
05-02-2007, 16:34
The terrain on my playing table has been more than lacking, and among other terrain, I have built a stone tower, about 20 cm high (8"). It has room for 10 models on the top, so it will probably be a good location for some archers in defensive armies.

The question I have is how you are supposed to take into account the height of the tower. It seems the rules are mostly very 2D, so maybe you have some answers.

A) Shoot from the top. If you calculate from the top on units on the ground you will have a shorter range than units standing on the ground. This doesn't feel very realistic.
B) What if you shoot from the ground up on the units? Should you follow the same rules as for shooting down?
C) Main question. What about the teardrop template and flying creatures? What if a dragon closes in on the tower and uses its breath attack. Since flying creatures end their movement on the ground, the shooting is done at ground level. When you point the flame template up against the tower, it covers almost none of it - while it would cover all of the tower if places horizontally. See attached pic for more detail (sorry for the ****** pic, I didn't have access to any drawing programs):
- the blue flame template is pointed upwards where the enemy models are. It does not reach any of them (and even if the dragon was closer, it would point mostly straight up and still not touch all of the models).
-The red template again shows that units on the ground would have been totally covered by the template.

How should this be handled?

And one last question D) What if the dragon instead wanted to land on the ramparts and attack the enemy archers in close combat. Since it's full of units, there isn't room enough for the dragon. Can it still attack, or is its only possibility to use the flame attack (since it obviously can't fit through the door at the bottom).

Festus
05-02-2007, 16:42
Hi

Warhammer is a game of models and hence 3D. just measure the actual distance.

If there is no place to land the Dragon, it cannot. Simple. If you play with buildings, you will have to put up with a few oddities, as Warhammer and its regiments are not meant to work well with this.

Festus

alextroy
06-02-2007, 01:29
All of these questions are handled nicely by the building rules on pages 97 to 99 of the BRB, although your tower seems to be much larger then the buildings the rules are designed to cover. Now on to answers:

A) Distances are measured from the base of the building.
B) Distances are measured to the base of the building.
C) Template attacks that hit a building occupied by a unit inflict D6 hits. If the attack has two strength values, use the lower.
D) Monsters cannot assault buildings, only infantry can.

Jonke
06-02-2007, 01:35
Or make it simple and just count the building as impassable. A bit boring maybe.

Vattendroppe
06-02-2007, 05:19
With the tower as impossible it would be no purpose in having it, then you might as well have a large rock or something.

If you don't want to go with the BRB rules we have a couple of sollutions that we use in necromunda. But I can see no reason why you wouldn't use the BRB rules.

Asq_Dak
06-02-2007, 06:58
All of these questions are handled nicely by the building rules on pages 97 to 99 of the BRB, although your tower seems to be much larger then the buildings the rules are designed to cover. Now on to answers:

Precisely what I would have suggested. Warhammer 6th ed. did not cover rules for buildings very well, but these new rules in 7th ed. seem to cover it alot better. They also detail ho many models can shoot out of that tower. (and believe it or not, I think based on the height it would be somewhere in the region of 10-15. So the 10 you can place on top emulates this perfectly.)

JAB
06-02-2007, 08:28
Ok, thanks. I only have the 6th edition rules at home (we share one set of the 7th with my brother and he has the book now), and it seems I missed the updated rules when I read through the new rules.