PDA

View Full Version : My first AI games...

Rictus
06-02-2007, 14:25
...and highly enjoyable they were.

Easy to learn and fast to play.

Due to neither myself or my opponent having any Epic aircraft and neither of us wanting to invest in FW models before we tried it out I made up some counters to play a few games with...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/squirrelnation/misc/AICounters.jpg
They copy the AI base design so it has the arrows on, the firing arcs shown and as I laminated them we were able to keep track of the altitude and speed of the aircraft using whiteboard pens (the wipe off type of pens).

I am now going to knock up Imperial, Eldar and Ork counters so we can try out all five lists before we start ordering fleets.

Things I learnt - Hellblades are damn fast and getting the optimum firing range with them ain't easy, I don't like 360 degree firing drone burst cannons and half of the fun is trying to second guess what cards your opponent is going to pick.

I think I am definatley going to stick with this one and I think it is well worth a go.

Lt. Co Steel
06-02-2007, 15:21
the counters are a good idea, i to have been proxying a game or two with flying bases and dice, its gets a little confusing, somthing like that would be great for a gap filler untill i get some real models, how did you make them?

Rictus
06-02-2007, 15:31
the counters are a good idea, i to have been proxying a game or two with flying bases and dice, its gets a little confusing, somthing like that would be great for a gap filler untill i get some real models, how did you make them?

Handily I use AutoCAD in my work so I was able to draw them up on there. The drawing of the aircraft isn't really needed for them to be used, just something on there telling what each craft each counter represents. During the game it was the colour which allowed us to quickly see which counter was which aircraft (red was Hellblade, black was Hell Talon, etc). Having the fire arc lines on the counters and having them laminated was the important things. Being able to easily keep track and quickly change the Alt & Speed was very handy. If we had used dice to keep track of Alt & Speed we would of picked the dice up and rolled them without thinking.

Malakai
07-02-2007, 03:32
Really nice counters.

Tyra_Nid
07-02-2007, 08:12
Rictus, maybe you should create a file of counters that people can print and cut out? Im sure there would be a lot of happy people...

Charax
07-02-2007, 08:57
Oh yes, a file of those would be fantastic for those of us who want to try the game before shelling out for the whole shebang. The counters are practically useless without the game anyway.

Very nice work - laminating them was inspired, I would've just noted everything in pencil.

Slekith
07-02-2007, 17:11
I think it's a cool idea when it comes to do some testing so that you make sure you're purchasing what you really need. My advice is, GET THE MINIATURES. Battles will not only look much more impressive but you'll have a great time painting and getting your own color scheme on your planes. Miniatures are a huge part of the hobby.

Nice design anyway! :D

Rictus
07-02-2007, 17:33
Slekith: I will be getting the models to play the game but I am using the counters to decide which force to get. Once we have played Orks, Imperial & Eldar as well using counters we will decide which forces to get. I wouldn't continue playing the game with the counters as the models are far to good to pass up the opportunity to play with.

Tyra_Nid & Charax: The counters are all on pdf sheets now and if anyone wants a copy they are welcome to them. I won't attach them to a post on Warseer though as I don't want to cause any possible problems regarding IP or anything. If people PM me I will be happy to email the sheets to them for playtesting purposes only. I have only done Chaos and Tau at the moment. I won't be doing any of the others for a while (until I next get a chance to play the game).

tomambrosio
08-02-2007, 16:48
Rictus -- just sent you a reply. I thank you in advance for your help.

I am really excited about his game, but I'm not sure exactly what army I want to buy the miniatures for. Rictus' templates will not bring a lot of new players into the game and will help Forgeworld sell a lot of copies of the rules *and* minatures.

Tyra_Nid
08-02-2007, 23:53
To be honest, I think FW should have a pdf of the basic rules, and stats for a a T-Bolt and Ork Fighta. That way people can test the rules with counters or something, and then buy the book for prettyness factor, advanced rules, and rules for other races. Pretty much everyone I have demoed the game for now wants to buy a wing... This may encourage people who dont want to shell out for the book without testing the game to do so.

Rictus
09-02-2007, 00:14
I have now done a sheet of counters without the aircraft drawn on. This way they can be marked up as whatever craft you want to try out. If anyone wants a copy of these blank counters just drop me a line. I'm not sure if I would be allowed to just post them in the thread. Not sure if they would infringe on GW IP or anything as they no longer include any GW images etc.

Charax
09-02-2007, 01:19
they're regular hexagons with bisecting lines and numbers on. Even the most anal lawyer can't build a case on that.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4853/slottapd3.jpg

Look! a slottabase!

(Incidentally, if anyone *does* use my slottabase template, let me know)

Seriously, it's a regular hexagon with three bisecting lines and a couple of circles, it really should be fine.

Something I meant to ask earlier: how did you get the pictures to put on the counters?

I've just started cutting out the Chaos templates and they're great (except my printer cut off part of the bottom ones, stupid thing) now I just need to find a laminator...

Anyway, if you could send me a batch of the plain ones (unless you post them here) that would be fantastic.

Duckman
09-02-2007, 03:03
if you read the hole thread you would know that he made them In CAD...

Charax
09-02-2007, 07:06
Ah, duckman, bringing meaning to the name warseer

I did read the whole thread, but the pictures are very accurate - too accurate to be done from memory at work, so I'm wondering if he had some kind of size reference, or pictures he could mask to make the silhouettes.

Rictus
09-02-2007, 16:19
they're regular hexagons with bisecting lines and numbers on. Even the most anal lawyer can't build a case on that.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4853/slottapd3.jpg

Look! a slottabase!

(Incidentally, if anyone *does* use my slottabase template, let me know)

Seriously, it's a regular hexagon with three bisecting lines and a couple of circles, it really should be fine.

Something I meant to ask earlier: how did you get the pictures to put on the counters?

I've just started cutting out the Chaos templates and they're great (except my printer cut off part of the bottom ones, stupid thing) now I just need to find a laminator...

Anyway, if you could send me a batch of the plain ones (unless you post them here) that would be fantastic.

Email sent. Alternative to using a laminator is just putting cellotape over them or using the stuff that comes in a sheet with a paper backing that you peel off (does that make sense? I wish I could remember what it is called). Though if you just put tape or the roll stuff over them it might be best to print the templates onto card instead of paper.

Not having a scanner or able to find plan views of the aircraft I drew the images onto the computer by first tracing the plan views from the book then taking dimensions off the tracing. Took a while.

Charax
09-02-2007, 16:40
Ah, there are plan views in the book? Might be worth getting my own and not just using a friend's copy, then. I should still have some sticky-backed plastic from my days of watching Blue Peter, so I'll use that.

As always, inspiring work. I've printed the templates onto thin card and with the plastic they should be rather sturdy.

Christine
10-02-2007, 10:20
Seriously nice counters and I second the idea that Forgeworld out to do a basic free version to wetten peoples appetites.

Cohinor
12-02-2007, 13:54
Thanks first of all for Rictus awesome counters and his blank pdf sheet of them. So i sat down and used it to make the Eldar Counters for AI. Feel free to use them. BTW i think i dont have the right scale as Rictus ones, its off of 1% or so *sighs* if anyone could adress that i'd be happy =).

So have fun with it and good gaming.

Cohinor

Rictus
12-02-2007, 20:17
Very nice Cohinor, I shall definately be using those. Saved me a job. Don't suppose you fancy doing Imperial and Ork aircraft as well? As that'll take another two jobs off my 'to do' list....

Cohinor
12-02-2007, 22:39
Well right now, i am doing Imperials and Orcs, so yes ^^ you will see those in a bit too, tomorrow for the latest.

cheers
Cohinor

Cohinor
12-02-2007, 23:31
Ok `ere we go, Žere we go, two PDFs for our Ork Boyz out there, pdf 1 is Fighta and Fighta Bomma, the second PDF is 20 Grot Bombs.

cheers
Cohinor

Cohinor
13-02-2007, 00:45
Ok the next set of AI Markers, the Imperial Navy.

Cohinor
13-02-2007, 00:59
And now for a "BIG" Present for all the Tau Air Caste Pilots out there, i present you the Tau Manta :D .

cheers
Cohinor

Cohinor
13-02-2007, 01:16
Ok enough of the Spam, the last batch of AI Markers, the Space Marines.
I will try and make some even more nicer ones, like the Tau Manta with more Details next week or maybe later as i see fit. For now have fun playing!

Cheers
Cohinor

Rictus
13-02-2007, 22:37
Wow thanks Cohinor. Very handy and really quick. They will prove very useful in deciding which fleet to get (though I am sure one of them will have to be Chaos).

Ramon
18-03-2007, 19:28
No way on getting the Tau or Chaos counters? please?

Rictus
19-03-2007, 00:57
No way on getting the Tau or Chaos counters? please?

PM me your email address and I'll send the pdf files to you.