PDA

View Full Version : Is Skarsnik worth it?

The Blue Knight
06-02-2007, 14:46
Hi,

I was seriously thinking at running an all NG (or most; no orcs period) list at a local tourney (characters are allowed) just for the fun of it, and was mulling over whether or not to run it with Skarsnik. May main idea was to use him for his leadership value (8) to keep them from bolting at the first unsightly object on the field.

I don't play much with my NG's and generally don't use characters as a rule so I am just trying to see peoples opinions on him. Good, bad or cheese.

Thanks in advance. :D

Avian
06-02-2007, 15:39
It depends a bit on your luck with the Sneaky Schemes of course, but personally I reckon that he's a bit overpriced generally, but an interesting character nonetheless (and considering that I normally dispise special characters, that's saying something!).

If Leadership is what you are after, you can get a Goblin Warboss with the same Leadership for half the cost with some decent equipment. :p

cold0
06-02-2007, 15:58
I have played just one time against Skarsnik; What really borther me was is halberd. If one doesn't have dispersion dices or scroll at the end of O&G magic phase the halberd can really hurt.

In melee Gobbla has the Killing Blow abilities but they don't have Ward Save or Armour so they die quickly.

sephiroth87
06-02-2007, 17:16
The big issue with Skarsnik is that he costs more than double the unit that you're probably putting him with. If you don't get to charge, everybody is going to hit the big ugly skarsnik model to kill him. And while he has plenty of wounds, he just doesn't have an armor save. But he's FUN, which counts for a lot. And to me, he's a heck of a lot better than all the other special characters that are in the army book. I use Grom the Paunch in my list and he's not near as good as Skarsnik.

ser_hag
06-02-2007, 23:56
I have played just one time against Skarsnik; What really borther me was is halberd. If one doesn't have dispersion dices or scroll at the end of O&G magic phase the halberd can really hurt.

In melee Gobbla has the Killing Blow abilities but they don't have Ward Save or Armour so they die quickly.

you do realize he has 6 (SIX) wounds, right? he takes a while to kill...

and that halberd is a beast, but its tempered by the fact that you ahve to pack in a couple wizards to make it worth the time.

my friend has a NG army and i think he is good...with a little luck, those stupid sneaky schemes are crushing.

Zonq
07-02-2007, 00:36
Hey,

With Skarsnik you can have up to 3 bound spells in your army, which 2 of them are power 5!
That means you can get a pretty good magic army.

Zonq

cold0
07-02-2007, 08:18

Sure, but if you send Skarsnik aganist a Chaos Lord his life is quite short. Yes Skarsnik didn't die on the first turn with the CL, but he didn't seen the end of the second. Any hero with a magic weapon causing multiple wounds (no my chase, my Lord had just a flail) can easy smash Skarsnik in a turn.

and that halberd is a beast, but its tempered by the fact that you ahve to pack in a couple wizards to make it worth the time.

And this is exactly what my opponent made.

The Blue Knight
07-02-2007, 12:45
Thanks for your input Gentlemen. I appreciate all of your opinions. I will probably (95%) end up using him, just because it seems right that he is heading up my diminumitve green horde and he seems fun.

With Skarsnik you can have up to 3 bound spells in your army, which 2 of them are power 5!
That means you can get a pretty good magic army.

That is sort what I was thinking.

Sure, but if you send Skarsnik aganist a Chaos Lord his life is quite short.

That would probably be the case fir any NG Lord, Skasnik or otherwise.

Thanks again.

Avian
07-02-2007, 12:56
Remember to always give his unit nets, though. It can be very useful for a guy with no armour save.

cold0
07-02-2007, 13:55
Remember to always give his unit nets, though. It can be very useful for a guy with no armour save.

Yes, my opponent puts the funny Skarsnik into a 25+ NG unit with net. Probably the fact that I have given my C. Lord the Helm of Many Eyes and Great Weapon helps me to counter the net [always strike first at S6-1 (for the net and the CL was riding a Chaps Steed)=S5].

Anyway I can't say that Skarsnik isn't good SC.

EvC
07-02-2007, 14:20

Well, if he gets charged by a unit of heavy cavalry (Which is what it's there for), then he will take five high strength attacks all with a good chance of wounding and four horseys and we all know how dangerous they can be! One good roll and he could be gone from one charge, even with six wounds. Course, making a challenge with him if he only has to face a unit champion pretty much guarantees his survival, but if there is a hero in the unit he could fall in two turns of combat.

Course this is all theory :)

Avian
07-02-2007, 14:37
Field a wide unit of gobbos, with Skarsnik off to one side. Due to the maximation rule, there should be quite few attacks coming his way. Placing him in the centre of the unit is just asking for trouble.

And as mentioned, the challenge rule should be used for all it is worth.

Count de Monet
07-02-2007, 17:04
I've been tempted to use him, but for now I'm trying to keep my army special-character free. I think his value is mostly in the pre-game, with messing with the enemy's deployment. Heck, I'd probably pay 200pts for that ability alone in a big game. Anything extra he does during the actual game is just gravy.