PDA

View Full Version : Steepest learning curve

HolySanguinius
07-02-2007, 03:41
Hi all

I'd like to get inot LoTR and was wondering which army has the steepest learning curve and is good in the hands of a skilled player?

I would like some cavalry in the force but besides that...

Cheers

Pertinax
07-02-2007, 14:32
I'd probably fall down on a Rohan army. They can be challenging to play, and yet really good when they work.

Of course, they can be pantsoo when you fail, but that sounds like what you are after!

WH40KAj
07-02-2007, 15:35
I'd probably fall down on a Rohan army. They can be challenging to play, and yet really good when they work.

Of course, they can be pantsoo when you fail, but that sounds like what you are after!

I dunno, it sounds like a dol armorth army might suit the bill better.

Fred_Scuttle
08-02-2007, 14:52
Another newb here - at the same time - most forgiving armies perhaps?

Dr Death
08-02-2007, 15:59
Gondor and Isengard are nice forgiving armies. For a challange you might try feilding some of the more extreme lists- Grey Company/Army of the Dead, maybe the ents, or even if you fancy a laugh the shire.

Dr Death

HolySanguinius
10-02-2007, 07:13
I'm quite interested in Dol Almoroth, is it a tournament legal list?

Another thought was a all warg Isenguard army.

A friend does Rohan, and I'd rather not.

Cheers

Pertinax
10-02-2007, 07:23
All the lists that are in LoME are "legal". As are any of the massive amount of allied options that you can make with them.

All warg is pretty harsh. I've played against that several times. It's all S4, and very fast. The best way to deal with it is either a quick "nature's wraith" (read Arwen on a horse - heroic move into the cluster - cast magic), or good ol' sorcerous blast.

HolySanguinius
10-02-2007, 18:35
Why does Dol Almoroth have a steep learning curve? Are all the army lists in LoME?

Pertinax
10-02-2007, 18:55
All the army lists are in LoME. It's just that not all the stats are released yet.

IIRC, all the Dol Amroth stats and figures are pretty much released. So as long as you have the basic MoM book, then you are good to go.

The question about the steep curve relates to this:

Cav = less free points
Less free points = few figures
Few figures = higher outnumbering
Higher outnumbering = easily getting caught and killed.

Dol Amroth knights are expensive.

Gondorian
10-02-2007, 19:19
Well, Dol-amroth does also have some troops on their way whose stats aren't yet out. Dol-amroth doesn't have to be an all mounted force either. Foot soldier armies can work quite well. Doesn't look as glorious though.

Suffererofinsanity
10-02-2007, 20:17
If any of you have tried playing with khand- It's hard!

Pertinax
10-02-2007, 22:00
Forgot about them. Low D and pretty limited options. But lots of them.

In the same way, you could argue that the all foot harad army is pretty much in the same boat.

HolySanguinius
10-02-2007, 22:13
Why are Dol Almoroth in the Mines of Moria book?

Is it possible to field an all mounted dol almoroth army with prince Imrahil?

Pertinax
10-02-2007, 23:30
Why are Dol Almoroth in the Mines of Moria book?

Is it possible to field an all mounted dol almoroth army with prince Imrahil?

Because the MoM book is the basic rules book, with a very large proportion of all the profiles in.

Yes you can. Hence, the comments about the whole mounted force, low numbers, and as you put it, steep learning curve.

HolySanguinius
12-02-2007, 05:28
Thanks Pert. and co. Looks like Dol Almoroth it is!