PDA

View Full Version : Least used army.

Maren
07-02-2007, 09:10
I'm planning on getting into Warhammer again and even though I like my highelves I think they are a bit too advanced for me right now. And I dont want to play an army everyone else plays either since thats just gonna be booring if you are five guys in a gaming club and everyone has the same army.
Now I understand that this will be very different from gaming group to gaming group but can you please give me info on what army is the least played in your experience?
I won't just choose the least played army since there are armies I dont like and so on but there are many interesting choices out there and I'm some of them won't be over abused.

Failing that, or if your find my question boring, offensive or in any way undesirable can you name the army thats is the MOST played in your gaming area?

superczhunk
07-02-2007, 09:15
Around here there is a good mix of all the armies. I'd say the least played is Dogs of War (zero), Ogre Kingdoms (me) and Skaven (sometimes me). All the other armies around here have 2 or more players.

Corax
07-02-2007, 10:12
In most places, the least played armies are the ones that are the most OOP. ie. Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs generally being the rarest. The most common are nearly always Empire, Orcs, Vampires, and Skaven. Of course it will vary to some degree from area to area.

The SkaerKrow
07-02-2007, 10:21
In my group you can't get a soda without tripping on two or three Wood Elf players on your way to the vending machine.

snurl
07-02-2007, 10:26
I have never encountered a Slannesh player.

Reflex
07-02-2007, 10:28
i wouldent say lizardmen are rare, but compared to other armies, they are more of a special choice... this gives me an idea...

Core: (these are comon armies)
Empire
O&G
WE
HE
Vampires
Bretonnians
Chaos
Skaven

Specail: (seen but not always...)
Lizardmen
Ogres
Tomb Kings

Rare:
Dogs of war
Chaos stunties...

i guess thats what its sort of like through my eyes, please correct me if i am mistaken..

Madfool2
07-02-2007, 11:23
i wouldent say lizardmen are rare, but compared to other armies, they are more of a special choice... this gives me an idea...

Core: (these are comon armies)
Empire
O&G
WE
HE
Vampires
Bretonnians
Chaos
Skaven

Specail: (seen but not always...)
Lizardmen
Ogres
Tomb Kings

Rare:
Dogs of war
Chaos stunties...

i guess thats what its sort of like through my eyes, please correct me if i am mistaken..

You forgot the dark elves.

Warwolt the skaven
07-02-2007, 11:43
Id say darkelves... I know only one person that plays these buggers.

yeancientone
07-02-2007, 11:54
Once they get a battalion, you won't be able to move for 'em. And they're all spikey too, which could prove uncomfortable.

Maren
07-02-2007, 12:12
Hmmm...I've always liked DoW, I mean who doesn't like pikes right? Well thx guys.

This is good this is good....nyes, nyes....

Aelyn
07-02-2007, 12:32
In my area, Lizardmen, Empire, Dwarves and Greenskins are the most common armies, followed by Wood Elves, High Elves, Beasts, Mortals, Khemri, Vampire Counts and Ogres.

I've never seen any of the other armies played at my local GW.

Fred_Scuttle
07-02-2007, 12:32
In My Detroit Area

Most
VC
TK
Brits
WE
DE

Least I see
HE
Empire ( may change with new army )
O&G - weird with Skull pass being out this long
Skaven
DOW - neven seen a dedicated DOW army

Fred

Maren
07-02-2007, 12:38
Well its settled then, thanks everyone for helping, and its gonna be a DoW army! Weehu! Now the only question is if the rules are still viable ( I have the ones from the website) I guess they are and Im gonna play with them anyway. Moha!
Now I just have to get rid of this damn last school year so I can get some painting time...

Count de Monet
07-02-2007, 13:08
If you really want to be different, I'd recommend making sure it's a pretty varied force and doesn't just look like an "almost Empire" army.

Maren
07-02-2007, 14:14
Im gonna try to do a "historically correct" force, yea yea I know this is warhamemr but I'm gonna try. That is, about 2/3 pikemen and crossbowmen (mostly crossbowmen, around 2 per pikeman) and 1/3 cavalry. No magic items, not that there are many to choose from, and no magicians. Ill see how it goes. Now the math calls me...

Hatred is maths greatest gift to humanity. - Maren

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
07-02-2007, 16:07
Id say darkelves... I know only one person that plays these buggers.
yeah me, so watch what you say!
I agree that the Druchii are one of the least played - god knows why? - I guess people try to collect them but then get frightened and get their sissy cousins instead-high elves.

gORCUS
07-02-2007, 16:26
Here's a nice looking lustrian/conquistador themed DoW army (http://www.therodgelodge.com/index.php?frontpage=gallery6&section=gallery) that one of the fellas I game with is working on.

*What the hell? The damned glossary trumped my link! Well here it (http://www.therodgelodge.com/index.php?frontpage=gallery6&section=gallery) is. Hope it works this time.

zak
07-02-2007, 23:49
The reason why DE are rare is that the majority of the army is still metal. A unit of 20 will cost about 40+ and this alone puts many off. The models are fantastic and the army is IMHO one of the best.

Reflex
08-02-2007, 00:50
You forgot the dark elves.

i realised that after i posted it.. :(

Darkspear
08-02-2007, 01:50
The reason why DE are rare is that the majority of the army is still metal. A unit of 20 will cost about 40+ and this alone puts many off. The models are fantastic and the army is IMHO one of the best.

I always thought that DE are rarely played because they perform very poorly in tournaments. They are one of the armies in the warhammer world that does not have a single cheesy build.

Reflex
08-02-2007, 02:23
Dark elves, i think, will be very awsome once they get there army book redone, because (corect me if i am wrong) they are the oldest army book out there that hasent been re done for a wile yeah...

so atm they are rare, but soon enough they will pick up...

DaBrode
08-02-2007, 02:32
I always thought that DE are rarely played because they perform very poorly in tournaments. They are one of the armies in the warhammer world that does not have a single cheesy build.

I genuinely believe that most people just don't like dark elves. They are not very creative, the models are "eh, okay" and the fact that they are all metal for the most part is a complete turn off to those people that would make them cool otherwise.

Dark Elves are the ninjas of WHFB and as everyone knows...ninjas are soooo 80's. Now is the time of the pirates and gladiators!

Reflex
08-02-2007, 02:42
Now is the time of the pirates and gladiators!

and giant sea turtles... :D

Commisar BoB
08-02-2007, 07:19
I know that at my old group (I dont have a group where I am at now :( ) I was the only Lizardmen player. Most of the other played Empire, orges and O&G

spikedog
08-02-2007, 08:15
In Tokyo in the many games clubs most of which I have played with the members at some point in the last 3 years I would say here are the armies I have seen:

Common:
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Lizardmen
Empire
Tomb Kings
Orcs and Goblins
Chaos

Rare:
Chaos Dwarfs
Dark Elves
Wood Elves
Brets
Ogres

Never been seen:
DoW
High Elves

xiau
08-02-2007, 11:17
Dark Elves and Ogres, out of a club of about 20 im the only ogre guy, yay, but of course as said this will vary, the best way to go about this is make a list of everyone in your club and what they play, then build around that

MiketheFish
08-02-2007, 18:59
I go to a lot of tournaments in the "Indy Grand Tournament" circuit. Contrary to what people seem to be saying about their local game clubs and whatnot, Lizardmen are pretty common - if only because you can create a really strong/annoying army of them.

Common (and GT-winning) armies in the Indy GT group seem to be:

Wood Elves
Lizards
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Brets
Chaos (Daemon Legion and Mortals mostly)

Armies that are common but NOT typical tourney-winners

Dwarves
Empire
Orcs & Goblins
High Elves

Rarely used armies in GT's

Ogres
Dark Elves
Khemri