PDA

View Full Version : Let's get these skellies finished!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DigitsDavid
07-02-2007, 21:14
I've had these kicking around for years and keep meaning to give them some love so I thought I'd stick them on here.

I have NO idea what I'd use them for, but they were entertaining to build.

Ideas welcome.

I've also attached a piccie of my looted Russ, commanded by "Errr Win-Rumbal" Again built last year but not touched since. Want to finish it (along with my other Orky stuff which I'll post once it's done)

Hideous Loon
07-02-2007, 21:19
Necromantically-themed LatD perhaps? They sure look good.

DigitsDavid
08-02-2007, 10:48
I suppose that's the obvious solution.

I'll base the rest tonight, but I'm after a spiffing paint scheme for the bones. Any suggestions welcome.

Thalenchar
08-02-2007, 12:14
Awesome, awesome, awesome! :D I am so gonna steal this idea from you!:p

And I also add a suggestion. I always like it when skeletons aren't actually bone coloured (like, bleached bone), but highlighted more towards white than actual bone. Maybe from a blue / greyish colour up (shadow grey)?

Arhalien
08-02-2007, 12:16
So that's what the inquisition does with the bodies :D

Very nice, great idea and it;s worked! Will you be painting them to look battered and scarred?

Alex Under
08-02-2007, 13:52
Brilliant! Can't wait to see them painted.

DigitsDavid
08-02-2007, 13:54
So that's what the inquisition does with the bodies :D

Very nice, great idea and it;s worked! Will you be painting them to look battered and scarred?

I think before I undercoat them I will distress the helments / shoulder pads yes. Good suggestion.

DigitsDavid
11-02-2007, 20:08
Well they are distressed, based and undercoated but I think I'll do a little painting before I post a picture.

Anyway, I've decided this little Skellie project hardly warrants a log of it's own, so I though I might expand the log to include a few other unfinished projects. To be fair, I have a LOT of unfinished projects! However, if I post a few at a time, I might be able to finish one or two...

First up, I mentioned my orks. Well here are a few piccies of what's being done so far.

1) I decided that I quite like a themed army of lootas and these guys pinched a batch of sniper rifles.

2) This bunch looted an Imperial guard army/navy store and decided to wear matching pants! The fluff behind these guys is they are an advanced raiding party hence the WW2 commando hats. They just looked a little different to everyone elses so there!

3) More of the same to be painted.

4) Some flying guys to be finished.

DigitsDavid
11-02-2007, 20:22
Next up.

I built this a few months back and love the model, BUT I have no idea how to paint larger things, so I'm open to suggestions.

Once this is done, I have two Imperial Sector boxes which I was going to combine and make a large centrepiece cathedral. May still do that once this is finished.

I've also bought my Drogan Armoured Company into the thread. This is the transport, the tanks need finishing and I need to paint all the Steel legion figures.

I have a large Word Bearer army to finish, a Witch Hunter army to finish, and a Howling griffon army to finish.

Piccies on those at a later date.

Thalenchar
11-02-2007, 20:49
Orks look cool, love the wool hats, and the imperial buildings are always great.

But I want to see those skellies painted! Hurry up man! ;)

DigitsDavid
12-02-2007, 00:42
Sheeesh! I thought this forum may help me speed up a little, but I didn't realise there'd be so much pressure!

OK just for you, I've knocked up the first painted Skellie!

Actually, I quite like him so I may just get the rest painted over the next 48 hours.

What do you think?

Actually, in my haste, I appear to have missed the stock, so a few tweaks me thinks!

dr.oetk3r
12-02-2007, 01:35
That space skeleton reminds me of the Iron Maiden artwork from the album "A Matter of Life and Death."

Thalenchar
12-02-2007, 11:23
Well all that pressure did get you to paint those skellies, didn't it? One anyway. It looks good. Looking forward to seeing the whole unit done.
I think (when I get around to making them) I'll use mine as traitor troops from the WH book. Not sure I'll ever be playing vs WH, so I might never use them, but still. Every selfrespecting hereticus inquisitor needs some heretics to burn, right? ;)

Edzard
12-02-2007, 12:44
Those skeletons look very cool!

Your orks are cute too :)

DigitsDavid
12-02-2007, 17:19
"Emperor take their souls." Turan whispered to himself as he watched the Guardsmen climb wearily out of their fox holes and begin to edge forward towards the waiting enemy lines. He thumbed the power feed switch on his lascannon and stole a sideways look to see Ravit crossing himself with the sign of the Aquilla as he too mourned their comrade's imminent deaths.

Turan watched as some two thousand men inched their way forward, hugging every last piece of cover, their shoulders hunched and their necks bent as they tried desperately to look as small and inconspicuous as possible. He scanned the weapon's sights left and right awaiting the inevitable tell tale muzzle flashes which would give him a target.

The leading companies were within fifty paces of the first trench systems and a few men had begun firing speculative rounds of laz fire and hurling grenades into suspected positions but as yet, there was no return fire.

Thirty paces. The lack of response from the enemies lines was deafening by it's absence. Guardsmen started to rush forward now as they covered the last few paces and many disappeared from view as they leapt into the trenches, bayonet fixed and howling their war cries. Turan could see heads come up and backs straighten as the Guards still making their way forward began to pull up. He could see some men turn and clap each other's shoulders.

Shouts of joy carried back to the firing lines in which Turan's heavy weapons platoon had sited itself. "Turan! Turan, they've gone!" Turan could barely hear Ravit over the cries and cheers of the men around him. For a moment, Turan let himself get swept along in the wave of elation and began to cheer himself. Tears began to form on his cheeks but immediately began to freeze as an icy fear gripped Turan's gut.

The Sons of Horus had never fled before an enemies guns before. Why now? Was this a trap? Turan strained forward, leaning over the sand bags that sheltered them and stared towards the front line. As he stared, quiet returned to the celebrating troops and heads began to turn back toward the positions previously occupied by the fallen marines. An eerie bluish mist was spilling out of the trenches and rolling towards them. Some began to panic, turned and began fleeing back towards their fox holes, but most for their part, stood and watched helplessly as the blue cloud spilled over them.

Turan reached down and unsnapped his binoculars from his belt. He brought them to his eyes and very nearly dropped them again. He steadied himself and the horror of what was unfolding held the field glasses in place. He sighted on a group of three soldiers and bile rose in his stomach as he saw all three drop their weapons and each reach for his own throat as if the air had been taken away. He watched as each body, still fighting for breath, writhed and danced in the mist which was getting thicker. The air around each tortured soldier seemed to grow thick and shimmering and the auto focusing glasses strained to maintain a clear image. Turan overrode the focus and pure blind terror wracked him as he realised that the swirling haze around each man was in fact flesh which was being pulled from their bones. The flesh seemed to melt away from the bodies and carry into the air. No longer were any of the three recognisable as being human and each began to collapse at the loss of tissue and sinews which held the skeletal frame together.

Turan watched until all that remained were a jumbled collection of bleached white bones and the equipment the men had carried. He panned the glasses and the same horrifying scene was all that filled his view. The once jubilant cries from his comrades had turned instead to cries of anguish, terror and disbelief.

The blue mist settled into a haze over the scene until it obscured any view of what lay on the ground. It clung for a few minutes and then began to change colour, turning first purple, then red as if the fires of hell themselves had spilled onto the battlefield.

It was then, that the first macabre figure rose from the mist. A mockery of his former self, the skeleton was wearing a Cadian pattern helmet and had an ammunition bandolier slung across his chest, in his hands he carried a grenade launcher. He turned and looked as if towards Turan's firing position, raised the weapon into the air and let out a long, piercing scream. His cries heralded the awakening of countless other monstrosities as one by one, they rose up brandishing the weapons of their once whole selves.

As a body, they moved forward.

"Emperor, take my soul…."

DigitsDavid
12-02-2007, 18:33
Your orks are cute too :)

CUTE! They're not CUTE! They're 'ARD!

DigitsDavid
14-02-2007, 01:38
OK, Just finished the autocannon. Should have the rest done for the weekend.

schoolcormorant
14-02-2007, 01:40
those are really cool mate :) keep going, 'let's get these skellies finished'

SC

DigitsDavid
14-02-2007, 22:51
Next up. Two special weapons chaps. Others nearly finished. Post them up Saturday.

Cadian 21st
14-02-2007, 23:15
- Cool concept! You should add some belts or webbing to keep those Canteens up (unless they're just tied around their bones) and those backpacks (Vox units and Flamer Fuel Tanks). Yay, subscribed!

DigitsDavid
15-02-2007, 20:27
Cheers Cadian. I'm operating on the asumption that whatever sorcerous powers are holding their bones together are also binding their equipment to them!

DigitsDavid
17-02-2007, 00:28
Hey Hey!

Got them finished. I suppose now I either build a few more, or finish off something else.

Arhalien
17-02-2007, 09:14
woo! :D

Nice work there Dave; those look really effective. Great scenery in the background as well. Now you just need to find a way to field them :p

Zodiac
28-02-2007, 20:24
Heh Looking good! Really original this idea of yours. Really really cool!

Digitsdavid:
------------------------------------------------------
What if you convert a leman russ to look like the poster from the "A Matter Of Life And Death" from ( the superior, godlike, amazing, cool, super, awesome, uber band ) Iron maiden.

Would be a cool centerpiece!
"Let's get that tank finished!"

DigitsDavid
28-02-2007, 22:08
Great idea! May have to give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

DigitsDavid
01-03-2007, 22:23
Whoever moved this into sci-fi, thanks!

The Laughing God
01-03-2007, 22:32
The Guard are AWESOME!
I love that idea really really cool.

El Presedente
01-03-2007, 23:02
Reminds we of the Cursed company from Dogs Of War.

DigitsDavid
01-03-2007, 23:57
Cheers guys.

New skeletons arived today so here's a taster of the next batch. I've decided to use a few items of clothing on one or two and needed an officer.

Power fist looks HUGE on him but I think it adds to their charm!

Inquisitor Skyshadow
02-03-2007, 02:05
those look amazeing man, the on skellie with the flamers giving me an Eddie from Iron Maiden vibe, might have to "barrow" that idea.

Ornithoticus
02-03-2007, 11:22
nice work, very reminiscent of this iron maiden album cover:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4448/de31f0a15578ve7.jpg

Orni

bram kuijpers
02-03-2007, 11:28
Cheers guys.

New skeletons arived today so here's a taster of the next batch. I've decided to use a few items of clothing on one or two and needed an officer.

Power fist looks HUGE on him but I think it adds to their charm!

why the hel doesnt that bone break?

jasevx
02-03-2007, 11:47
Keep this going, Funny but amazing at the same time!

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 12:00
why the hel doesnt that bone break?

In a fluff sense, because of the sorcerous powers binding him together!

In a real sense, beacause the power feed tube is glued up under his shoulder board and the fist is glued in contact with his thigh!

Anyway I like him, he's got a cheeky look about him.

bram kuijpers
02-03-2007, 12:03
2 things

1 he looks as if he is hiigh on weed:D

2 his pants are stil clean tidy and arent held by anything:confused:

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 12:12
lol. However, his pants are resting on his hip bones and as mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm letting the magic that's holding his bones together (no sinew / muscle etc) hold his equipment on and indeed his pants up! As for the weed, I see what you mean! May look more menacing when painted. I may also distress the pants a little.

bram kuijpers
02-03-2007, 12:13
why dont you make a joint out of greenstuf and put it in his mouth or equipment belt

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 12:19
For you Bram, I'll stick a joint in his mouth!

jasevx
02-03-2007, 12:22
Now now boys, no bickering!

Theres two options, cartoony, leave them skeletol, or Nurgle, give them slime.

either way they'll look great on a gaming table!

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 13:13
OK wasn't actually bickering, but I think I'll compromise and put a cigar in his mouth. About to get on with the next few models and I'm open to suggestions.

I had thought that like the autogunner I will have a few rising from the ground. I wish I had a few backpacks as they would look good. I may have to invest in a catachan heavy weapons box to get them as well as the heavy weapons.

All ideas for skeleton guard poses welcome.

jasevx
02-03-2007, 13:17
I have one! If you've got spare, Have one on all fours acting as the Autogun tripod, add to the theme!

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 13:48
I Like it!!!! I'll post pictures later.

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 16:29
Your wish, my command.

I wish I had more open hands and I suppose I will have to learn to green stuff them.

However, I'm chuffed with this one.

Come on, I need more ideas...!

Ravik
02-03-2007, 17:08
That autocannon team is awesome, really love the theme in this army.

Is there going to be any roughriders or sentinals?

DigitsDavid
02-03-2007, 17:34
Hey now you're onto something! Skeleton cavalry rough riders, inspired!

They will need some green suff armour plating or even nose bag rebreathers to make them look sufficiently 40K but it may be worth the pain. I might save them until I get these foot guys finished.

As for sentinels, I may but the fast attack choices of my LaD army are taken up. I've very nearly (been on the go for twelve months!) finished painting my mounted daemonettes and I quite like the hellhound. I will however put a leman russ together for them.

El Presedente
02-03-2007, 20:31
Thats inspired.

DigitsDavid
03-03-2007, 15:17
Inspired or not, they'll have to wait. My GS skills aren't up to it yet.

In the meantime, here are the next few.

The heavilly laden guy is my favourite so far, and I'll have to do a few more with backpacks. PS If anyone in the uk has spare cadian backpacks in plastic, please pm me will you? I prefer this latest batch of models as I'm more inlined to spend a little time on them now I've decided to use them. The first batch were made when I was playing around with a few left over parts.

Still looking for ideas!

Arhalien
03-03-2007, 15:38
Nice Stuff Dave :) I really like the Autocannon conversion :D

DigitsDavid
03-03-2007, 21:29
Well you can thank Jasevex for the idea.

Because of the lack of decent pose within the skeleton figures, it's hard to dream up interesting stuff. Putting a few in combat trousers has helped. Also, I have about half a dozen las guns with the folding stock which are easier to use on the "ham-fisted" skeketon arms. ISill want to do another autocanon, and I think for that one I'll have a guy coming out of the ground and holding his arms above him and clutching the barrel as a kind of muzzle bipod.

I still need another dozen regular guys and another officer / sgt.

Voronwe[MQ]
03-03-2007, 21:48
The heavy weapon teamsmembers looks like the fundamental image of modern or futuristic skeletal soldiery. Well done!

Voronwe

DigitsDavid
04-03-2007, 14:35
The second of my officers. I thought a marine chainsword looked a little more in keeping with these chaps instead of the Cadian one. I'm quite pleased with the feet on it.

Arhalien
04-03-2007, 14:37
hehe, I just love the crazyness of this thread! These things are brilliant :). I really like the combat trousers; they work very well on the model

I look forward to more! :D

edit: have you decided what rules to use yet?

DigitsDavid
04-03-2007, 14:45
Much as I'd love to give them some daemonic mutation that makes them harder etc, I may just field them using IG rules as an ally to my Word Bearers. If I use them in lost and damned, I lose the ability to field some of the figures. I think I'll get more finished before fully making my mind up.

Thanks for the interest.

DigitsDavid
04-03-2007, 20:33
It's clear folding stock las guns are easier to work with! Here's the latest batch. A couple more and it's time to get painting again.

DigitsDavid
12-03-2007, 23:29
OK time for an update.

I've finally figured out what I'm going to use them for. I will be doing three 10 man squads and fielding them as traitors in a Lost and Damned army. Each squad will be carried in a Chimera. I'm using Vox casters to represent Icon bearers, as I quite like the idea of "dialing" up demons! I may also do a larger squad to put my sorceror with.

I will then be fielding a Leman Russ, hellhound, rough riders (I'm investigating some skeleton velociraptors!) and because I like the gun, a battery of Thud Guns crewed by skellies.

I've bought a CSM sorceror to lead the army and I already have a number of daemon packs including mounted daemonettes. I also have a bunch of Word bearers I can use.

I need to build another skellie officer, two vox casters and my thud gun crews. I can only afford one thud gun at the moment but it's enough to get me started.

I'm painting up another dozen skellies at the moment but as a taster, I've uploaded a picture of a tank commander. I think he's got that Kelly's Heroes "Oddball" thing going.

What do you think?

DigitsDavid
13-03-2007, 09:23
Actually, I meant 12 man squads for the Chimeras, so that's another 6 guys.

I may also make an infiltrating squad of commandos (complete with wollen knitted hats).

Does anyone have experience of playing LatD with traitors? What kind of sucess do you have with them?

Arhalien
13-03-2007, 15:57
Looking nice David; I really like the weathering on the chimera :D

Nife
13-03-2007, 16:28
My first thought was 'Army of Darkness' WH40K style!!!

Cool stuff!! How's about an Evil Ash officer? (chainsword arm?!)

Keep up the good work! :D

jasevx
13-03-2007, 16:40
Your loving this arn't you! Great name! What Codex to use tho?

Norsehawk
13-03-2007, 17:26
Awesome idea, great implementation, have you made any yet where they have the chest armor, with the ribcage sticking out from underneath?

DigitsDavid
13-03-2007, 19:41
Jasevx, as I mentioned above it will have to be as traitors from Lost and the Damned. Saying that, if I get carried away, I may just build enough to field as per codex IG!

Nife "Army of Darkness" - I like it!

Norsehawk - I like the idea of a few with chest armour, I will give it a go.

I've ordered my Thudgun so that will be modelled shortly, and as I mentioned above, I've bought a skeleton velociraptor which I am temted to use to convert a few rough riders. Will hopefully have something up on those over the weekend.

Cheers guys.

jasevx
13-03-2007, 19:56
Cheers, thats just me not backreading!

To be honest you could play IG codex with what I've seen, love to see it across the table from me tho!

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 00:48
You never know. We may have to set a game up some time!

jasevx
14-03-2007, 10:07
MMM, last time I was in Manchester I was assaulted by the Police, nice force you have up there, use batons first, ask questions later ;)

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 12:47
Dare I ask why?

jasevx
14-03-2007, 15:40
I did nothing!

Me and a bunch of squaddies got jumped by skins after being in the strip club (right in the centre), they had no sense of humour when we pole danced with the girls ;)

One of our lads was hospitilised, and an innocent by stander got a pasting from the skins as well. The police turned up after the ambulance had gone, very agressive, the innocent guy gave them some verbal about having the wrong guys, and got a baton to his face for nothing, we tried to complain and were told we were next if we didn't shut up. The police only backed off when we pointed out we were army. Totally opposite to the Police in the Midlands, bunch of pansies compared to yours! ;)

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 15:50
Clearly you should leave the pole dancing to the professionals!

Anyway, back to the skellies. My thud gun's arrived so that's my next target model. I think I may add a degree of humour to this little cameo.

Talking of which, does anyone know of a supplier of 80mm round bases? It would seem the ones shown on Forgeworld's website are not for sale. I'll probably end up using a CD or something.

jasevx
14-03-2007, 15:53
just punch a search into ebay, I'm sure theres Gaming Stores with the stuff listed on their somewhere.

Humour on a thud gun, mm, how you gana manage this one then?

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 15:56
Well, for one, I'm going to have one crew leaning on another whilst he attemps to reattach his leg! I'm also musing whether to have another re-burying his head to protect his ears against the noise! What do you think?

jasevx
14-03-2007, 16:08
Sounds good, could have one holding an axle while the other is lying under the wheel thats fell off and squashed him.

Nife
14-03-2007, 16:24
Ok I don't think you've planned any mortar squads based on what I've read so far, but a skele using his head as mortar ammo would be cool....

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 17:13
Indeed it would, but I'm no fan of mortars I'm afraid and unless I used one in a squad, LotD doesn't allow heavy weapons squads. That's why I'm using the Forgeworld Thudguns. However...when I do the next gun, I could have one crew member removing the head of another! The comic opportunities are endless with these guys.

As for the axle caper, my only concern is the weight of the gun v the lack of strength in the plastic skellies. I may look at that on the next one, we'll see.

Keep the ideas coming guys.

Cadian 21st
14-03-2007, 18:24
The comic opportunities are endless with these guys.

- Your army makes me consider playing LatD :D

DigitsDavid
14-03-2007, 21:52
Good I do hope so!

Below are a few pics of some bits I will be using alongside the skellies from a CSM army I started but never finished or played with. The marines are a bit dusty (belying their age) and I should really touch them up a bit.

Fido was my first real attempt at dry brushing, but I like him and he will HAVE to feature in their somewhere!

The daemonettes have remained unfinished like this for 18 months as I really couldn't decide HOW to finish them. My painting skills are not as good as the finish I would like to give them, but in light of the impetus this army is gathering, I WILL finish them in the coming few weeks!

I'm about to make my first rough rider and already I'm stumped as to a suitable hunting lance. About the best I can dream up is a steel pin with a mortar shell at the business end. Any better ideas are welcome.

DigitsDavid
15-03-2007, 14:28
Just finished the Autocanon teams. Though they won't be fielded as a heavy weapons team, I've shown them here together.

Nife
15-03-2007, 14:39
Groooovy.....

:D

MaxORK
15-03-2007, 15:01
LOL Sweet! I bloody love it! They're so amazing!

Can anyone else hear the 'Jason and the argunaugts' music?!

...Duuuuuuunuh....dun dun dun duuunuh....

You lead commander should have a small pouch of teeth taken from a Space Hydra...

Wicked love um!

jasevx
15-03-2007, 15:42
How can it get any better! even tho I know it will!!

bobert the great clen one
15-03-2007, 15:45
dave wouldnt a skull full with grenades be appropriate for a roughriders lance :p

El Presedente
15-03-2007, 15:58
I'm loving these, Its almost inspireing me to use my brothers old undead army convert a cursed company to be used as vets, but at this rate im going to have more vets than regulars, Doctrin picking beckons.

DigitsDavid
15-03-2007, 16:27
dave wouldnt a skull full with grenades be appropriate for a roughriders lance :p

I may do a mock up and see what it looks like, cheers.

DigitsDavid
15-03-2007, 21:55
How can it get any better! even tho I know it will!!

Oh God! The pressure!

Well I'm hoping my Rough Rider will look a little different from most you see.

I've just realized too that putting all my squads in Chimeras won't work as they count as Fast Attack units which I have already allocated. Poohey!

DigitsDavid
16-03-2007, 14:26
Oooops!!!

Skeleton mount arrived today. I'm very impressed with the model, but it's a little TOO BIG!

I think it would look great on the table, but with such poor stats for the rough rider, the damage this beast looks like it could dish out wouldn't look/feel/play right.

Arhalien
16-03-2007, 14:29
hehe, just a bit over-scale :p

On the rough rider idea someone was asking on the rules forum whether it would be WYSIWig to use servo skulls with grenades as rough riders (if that was you then I apologise for my idiocy :)) and they concluded that a base of them would be ok. Had you thought of doing that as i think it could look wonderfully eerie :)

El Presedente
16-03-2007, 14:47
ZOMG! You Just got mail PWNED!

you could always take it appart to decorate a tank with, or convert it into a sentinal or something.

DigitsDavid
16-03-2007, 20:16
I'm very upset! I was hanging a lot on this model but I have to say it's not going to work. Oh well, I can still put one squad in a chimera until I develop the greenstuff skills to attempt converting skellie horses into something 40k.

Anyway, to get back on track, I'm working up the thuddgun crew this weekend, and I will be making two vox casters (Icon Bearers) and an officer tonight. By the end of the weekend I should also be able to finish painting another dozen guys so they're coming on.

I will also be making the first commando (infiltrator) to see how he looks. I think most of the commandos will be emerging from the ground in a sneaky, infiltrating kind of pose.

El Presedente - I think I will make a cool piece of scenery out of the velociraptor.

Arhalien - wasn't me, but I'll go read the thread.

El Presedente
16-03-2007, 20:28
Why not just use WFB skelinton horses?

Norsehawk
17-03-2007, 05:51
I am going to try my hand at something similar, a mix of skeletons and zombies in a similar manner to what you are doing, I found a neat bag tonight at my local store stuffed behind other stuff, 'zombie pirates of the vampire coast' it has a lot of neat bits on the sprues, including the classic dragging foot behind it pose.

DigitsDavid
17-03-2007, 10:52
Why not just use WFB skelinton horses?

I will but in their raw state they would just look like a WFB unit. I'm going to start practicing with GS. I will want to make a nosebag rebreather for them at the very least.

Great news Norsehawk. Good luck with the modelling. If you think up any great poses you'll have to let me know.

Last night I made up what I think is my best figure so far by using an earlier suggestion of using the body armour. I took yet another SM power fist, chopped around the index and middle fingers, and hey presto, "Officer with attitude"! Found myself giggling to myself making this one up.

The second figure is the first of my infiltating "commandos". A very simple little figure wich I was able to make from the carved off top half torso from the officer. Two figures for the price of one.

jasevx
17-03-2007, 12:28
Just loving it, ur copetition will lose everytime cos they'll be wetting themselves!

El Presedente
17-03-2007, 12:42
I'd love too them fight the necrons. I especially love the commando with the wooly hat.

Hideous Loon
17-03-2007, 13:02
Haha, that Officer reminds me of that metal-themed Slaanesh army I saw here awhile back. One of the Aspiring Chumps had the same powerfist, giving the enemy the finger, and the effect was as comical as now. Good work.

Norsehawk
17-03-2007, 13:12
oh, the sarge with the powerfist came out great!

DigitsDavid
17-03-2007, 15:53
Cheers guys, there is definitely a little humour in these skellies.

Thudd gun is now built and I've found a suitable base* so I will next be completing the crew. Expect pictures tonight.

Good round bases can be made from cheap drinks coasters!

Arhalien
17-03-2007, 19:44
Infiltrating commando: great idea! :D
I love the officer as well; so much character.

In fact, that last comment can be applied to your whole army; really good work :D

El Presedente
17-03-2007, 20:07
Also, can I just ask, if its not too off topic, where do the plasic caps come from, iv'e seen them used a bit but I'm not sure what sprue there from.

Nife
17-03-2007, 20:12
These keep getting better and better mate - hilarious - great character!

:)

Rabid Bunny 666
17-03-2007, 20:20
Why not use Ghosts as Rough Riders :D

I'm liking these alot, especially the commando :D

DigitsDavid
17-03-2007, 23:09
Cheers for the comments guys. Hat comes from the tank commander sprue.

Here's the first thudd gun. Poor chap sitting on the crate is trying to fix his foot back on! I was thinking of doing it but in actual fact, the foot really did fall off when I was taking him off the sprue!!

The next thud gun will feature a skellie sitting on the ammo crate, crossed legged and smoking a pipe!

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 02:59
I got the two vox operators done and I think it's bed time. When I wake up, it's painting time!

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 12:55
Mmmm. Just being looking at he new FW ogryn traitors. I may have to get a few as large muties. Mind you, its a lot of money for five figures! Does anyone know of any other manufacturer of skeleton ogres or other such nasties?

sanctusmortis
18-03-2007, 13:54
Have you considered converting Ushabti? They'd probably work well...

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 14:14
I thought about them but they are too egyptian for what I want. Mainly they are too "alien" looking as the theme of this army is to represent an imperial guard regiment that has been recently "turned" by ruinous forces. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Here's another couple of piccies of the thud gun from another angle.

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 15:44
So much for painting! I was looking through my bits box and found an SM sniper rifle. I'd seen these sneaky orks done once before and thought one may look good for these chaps. So here's a skellie sniper adjusting his sights whilst holed up in an old oil drum.

Arhalien
18-03-2007, 15:50
Yet another great conversion; you sir are brilliant :D

Warwolt the skaven
18-03-2007, 16:11
BRILLIANT, convertions!!

El Presedente
18-03-2007, 16:35
You could always convert the bone giant for ogryns, It'd take a bit of work though, mabey the warmaster bone giant may work better, but that could be a bit small.

bobert the great clen one
18-03-2007, 17:37
:eek: thats thudd gunner crew is waving to the me!:eek:

loveing the conversions so far , this is going to be a shocking army(pun intended):p

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 17:50
I'll take a look at them cheers Presedente.

Cheers Bobert!

This one's a little bit WIP as I need to greenstff the wooly hats and put a couple of lasguns on, but I quite like the prone skelly (even though I tongue in cheekly made him look like he's having a day on the beach with his foot up!) and I will use a similar technique for a couple of the other commandos.

I thought I'd finished off the first three squads (painted piccies later) but I have just re-read LOTD and realised that I have to field the first two units at full strength (ie 15) so I've got another ten standard chaps to make. I need six more commandos to make up my fourth squad including a suitable officer.

I was thinking of green stuffing an arran sweater onto him to make him look like lord Lovatt, but I suspect that's taking the p*** a bit too far! Ideas welcome.

Warwolt the skaven
18-03-2007, 17:52
aw crappit, you make me wanna start those suckers :P

DigitsDavid
18-03-2007, 17:55
Be my guest!

^_^
18-03-2007, 18:24
very nice, I like it alot

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 12:08
Well I finally got round to some painting last night and should have another dozen finished by this evening. The danger is, like the start of this thread, I end up modelling, which I enjoy, and pushing the painting back, which I don't enjoy! I suspect I'm not alone in this and it makes you wonder how many countless conversions and models there are out there which have never seen a lick of paint?

I have also made up half a dozen commandos which I'll post up later tonight. Thankfully, these will take very little painting as I'm of a mind not to clutter them up and in fact, half of their bodies are pretty much underground!

bram kuijpers
19-03-2007, 13:05
dave dude where is the ""Cigar"" smoking chap?

Railgunner
19-03-2007, 13:21
This is an awesome idea!!!
Have you thought about adding any tanks?

Railgunner

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 14:25
Bram, he's a comin'!

Railgunner, yes I've already got tanks which I use for my armoured company which don't have a tank commander fixed in and I'll be making another tank commander similar to that shown previously. Just need to find another "ruskie" helmet which I'm sure is kicking about in my bits box.

At 2000 points, I am concious that I will only be able to field one or two max as one heavy slot will be taken up with the thud gun battery and maybe one with my spined beasty Fido. Saying that, our little group pften play larger 3000+ point games where we are less inclined to follow the FOC and I can field a few more tanks.

Railgunner
19-03-2007, 15:19
Have you thought about maybe putting large amounts of damage (large chunks of plate blasted away etc) on the vehicles?

Railgunner

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 16:06
If I ever have the funds to buy them their own tanks then yes, but with a sixteen vehicle armourmed company already on the shelf, it's easier to raid that when I need to!

I agree though that damaged vehicles would look great. I may have to look out in the bring and buys for something cheap that can be distressed and repainted.

Warwolt the skaven
19-03-2007, 16:18
I really like the sand-covered thing you did on some tank earlier. Gives it a really dusty and ghosty look!

El Presedente
19-03-2007, 16:35
any chance of us seeing any undead commissars on the way?

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 17:00
I can't use them in a LotD army, however, I may get to field this lot as a stand alone army using IG codex so anything is possible. If I did them, I would simply replace the head and attempt to keep the hat.

Warwolt the skaven
19-03-2007, 17:49
LotD... you mean LatD?

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 18:02
My mistake! Well spotted.

El Presedente
19-03-2007, 18:17
Isn't there something you could count them as though?

Norsehawk
19-03-2007, 21:12
I just made my first one of these guys myself, will have to get a photo in my blog soon, still needs some greenstuff work to shore up a few gaps, but definitely a challenge. To have the most options, I have the contents of a cadian box, catachan box, zombie pirates of the vampire coast, and a skeleton box all in seperate piles and am pulling what I need from each, I made a captain type guy, las pistol, chainsword, one of the cadian helmets that they give you extra, body armor, skeleton torso (melded together) and the zombie dragging his foot pose. Mounted the head on a piece of wire and glued him together.

Uploading them to photobucket now, and will add to my blog momentarily.

Oh and david, I know exactly what you mean about stopping painting to model... I am so guilty of that.

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 21:15
I can't wait to see it! Sounds like you're throwing yourself into this as that's a serious amount of sprues!

Norsehawk
19-03-2007, 21:20
Well, since I have so much chaos, I also figured might as well make a good LATD force as well, so mix in some chaos marauders and beastman sprues also.

Cadian 21st
19-03-2007, 21:25
- With LatD, you could always count some of the skels as Mutants...Conscript horde? :D

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 21:26
Norsehawk - Will have to keep an eye on your blog and pinch a few ideas.

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 21:29
- With LatD, you could always count some of the skels as Mutants...Conscript horde? :D

I had been thinking of this myself by using the orc skull that come on the skellie sprues and the marine scouts sprues. I will have to make the skellies look more ape like but I'll give it a go.

Cadian 21st
19-03-2007, 21:57
- What about just adding the white stripe to the helmets/shoulderpads? The apelike idea sounds really good though.

DigitsDavid
19-03-2007, 23:53
Too many things to do and I didn't get as much painted as I'd like this evening. However, to keep Bram happy, I've included here the guy he wanted to see with a stogie. Enjoy Bram!

El Presedente
20-03-2007, 00:02
Looks ready to take his men to hell and back... again!

DigitsDavid
20-03-2007, 15:40
I like it, I may have to adopt it as the regimental motto!

"To Hell and back...again"

El Presedente
20-03-2007, 18:33
You can have that one for free.

NecrisPhyder
20-03-2007, 18:43
wow what an awesome concept, without bram and presedente what would you have done? lol awesome work i look forward to seeing the whole army finished.

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 01:59
Thanks Necris.

Well to prove that I have been painting, here's the next batch (sgt Rock has of course already been posted). My painting isn't the best but these guys look good in a gritty scheme and the flash does nothing to help them. I will take a picture outside weather permitting tomorrow of the army so far.

Next, a little modelling...

zbeam
21-03-2007, 04:46
love em!

pity you cant get the original plastic skelly frames they were so versatile.

its time now to get more tricky and tackle running skellies. bayonets on the charge!

and you could feild this as "counts as" standard ig. make an entire force skeletons, after all the emp is just as much a zombie lord as any necromancer.

Khrangar
21-03-2007, 04:52
Silly skeleton, doesn' t he know that smoking will kill him?

I quite like them, they have lots of character. Keep it up.

Khrangar

Norsehawk
21-03-2007, 04:52
I love your painting David, the only thing I could say is that to me, it looks like they need a bit more brown in the recesses of the bones and the like.

If you get a chance and have the urge, borrow the idea for the model I posted last night on my blog, the standard bearer.

bram kuijpers
21-03-2007, 10:00
thanks for the cigar it looks greats

jasevx
21-03-2007, 12:57
Dave I've found a handful of grenade pouches, in the post today.

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 13:27
Cheers buddy.

Well the sun is shining here today so I had time to grab one photo of all the painted skellies so far.

jasevx
21-03-2007, 13:50
Brilliant! How come is bloody freezing here, Manc supposed to be dark and dingy! ;)

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 13:57
It's a well kept secret, that we TELL everyone it's dark and wet here, to keep out the scousers!

jasevx
21-03-2007, 13:58
can't blame you one little bit.....

El Presedente
21-03-2007, 16:45
Now now, don't bash the scousers, Liverpool is the European Captial of Culture for 2008, although it dosn't quite look it at the moment, more like Capital of Cowboy buliders.

Those undead look fantastic, I'd genuinely crap my pants if I had to fight them.

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 19:08
Yeah, it's a real shame the traitor rules in LatD don't allow for taking the chaosy visage thingy that would MAKE opponents armies crap their pants!!

OK painting over with for now so it's back to modelling. Hopefully later I will have my commandos finished and perhaps even another tank commander.

I'm still trying to figure out how to pose my commando officer so suggestions are welcome. If my greenstuff skills were any good, as I said earlier, I would be tempted to do a Lord Lovatt....ahhh, whilst typing this I've had an idea!

Watch this space.

Warwolt the skaven
21-03-2007, 19:21
This is comming along great, really wonderfull work!

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 22:16
Right, I've had a go and I think I have an acceptable "Lord Lovatt" (he'd turn in his grave if he realised he looked more like Monty lol!). I'm no great shakes with the GS but a wooly sweater hardly needs much in the way of finesse! He was renouned for sporting a hunting rifle, but I wanted an officer with plasma pistol so I compromised and given him the one with sights.

I've pictured him here alongside some of his commandos. Still a couple to do as I want to be able to swap in a meltagun as required. Now I've done Lovatt, I suppose I HAVE to do his piper!!!! The bagpipes can count as their evil icon used to pull deamons from the warp (I'm sure there's some connection here?) and I'll have to think how best to model it.

I'm fond of these guys, my favorite being the one on the right climbing up out of the ground, a simple but I think effective pose.

El Presedente
21-03-2007, 22:36
All you need now is the music from call of duty playing in the background.

Warwolt the skaven
21-03-2007, 22:40
omg... skelletons with hats o_O

Arhalien
21-03-2007, 22:44
I love the wooly jumper! That is brilliant!

Cadian 21st
21-03-2007, 23:01
- The jumper and hats are very nice! I like the commando with the grenade in his mouth ;). I wonder if a skeleton suffers from "Gets Hot!?"

DigitsDavid
21-03-2007, 23:41
In that big jumper I'd say it's a given! Cheers for the comments guys.

bram kuijpers
22-03-2007, 08:56
teres a skellie that has problems with getting out his grave

DigitsDavid
22-03-2007, 11:57
So any ideas on how to do bagpipes?

bram kuijpers
22-03-2007, 12:14
a skellie marching out of the ground while (s)he/it is playing bag pipes?

El Presedente
22-03-2007, 14:29
So any ideas on how to do bagpipes?

Well, If I recall i'm sure theres a sprue knocking around somewhere that has bagpipes on it, failing that you could just use GS

DigitsDavid
22-03-2007, 15:33
If anyone knows what sprue, then great. I have however started carving pipes from the skellie spears so I may well be able to do this with a simple GS bag. I'm just debating whether to give him a kilt!

jasevx
22-03-2007, 15:37
You've got to, blowing in the wind ;)

DigitsDavid
22-03-2007, 15:49
lol. I'll give it a go!

PS Cheers for the bits, they arrived today.

jasevx
22-03-2007, 15:56
will do! if i find anymore, i'll post them on, stuff is coming in from friends weekly so I spread it around (no pun intended, I'm a good boy, ask the missus!)

Cadian 21st
22-03-2007, 19:43
- You could also make the bag out of a model goose, if you can find one...

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 00:04
OK so here's my attempt at bagpipes! I think it's a little big, but it's a representation I suppose. Anyway I've pictured him with "Lovatt" and a trooper I've given a full jacket and carapace armour.

Commandos are now finished so I'll be basing and painting them this weekend.

I'm off to Tripples in Sheffield this weekend so I may strike it lucky and find some skellie themed stuff to complement them ( and dare I say a suitable mount for the rough riders?)

jasevx
23-03-2007, 00:12
I take the high road, and you take the low road....

put some creases in it and it'll be perfect!

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 00:17
I've just scored a few in it, thanks.

Warwolt the skaven
23-03-2007, 00:21
... SCOTTS o_O

Norsehawk
23-03-2007, 00:49
Looks great David! keep up the good work.

I am forcing myself to paint as I have a competition figure I have to have done by the end of the month and he's only about 80% done.

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 00:51
Have you put it up on your site for a critique?

El Presedente
23-03-2007, 00:59
Haa Ha ha, thats great, now you just have to decide which clan tartan to go with it.

Fun Fact: Clan specific tartan patterns don't actually date back to ancient celtic days, it was invented during the elizabethan period as a fashon craze, it was the "In" thing to have your'e own "family" tartan.

Norsehawk
23-03-2007, 01:08
not yet, but you can see an earlier work on it, its the IG character. he's getting there tho, hopefully won't be too much longer and he will be das done as I am going to get him.

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 01:09
Best of luck bud.

Yeah Presidente, painting tartan is sure going to be fun!

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I've still got a couple of tank commanders and about eight grunts to do to finish the two maxed out squads (15 each) I have to take. I've finished squad 3 (10) and now finished the infiltrating comandos (10) (ok I've got a bit of painting to do). I've got to buy a second thud gun and if I can find a suitable mount, I have to start the rough riders.

I'm tempted for a bit of a laugh to model the famous US statue with the guys holding the flag. If someone knows what it's called or can post me a couple of shots of it I'd be obliged. I could then use it as a cool objective marker.

Problem with LatD is that the traitors are a little constrained for me so thinking up new ideas is getting harder.

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 10:48
I've just ordered my second thudgun and once it's arrived and modelled, I'll paint them both together.

Can anyone tell me whether the ork skull on the SM scout sniper sprue is larger than the orc skull on the skellie one? I'm thinking of doing one squad of muties. To make them "mutie" looking, I'm probably going to cut a small section out of the femur, and position the legs forward into an ape like stance, to meke the arms appear to drag. An orc skull is ideal to finish it off.

Apologist
23-03-2007, 11:20
What a great project! I think a standard bearer would be a nice addition perhaps a big ace of spades?
The Iwo Jima-style raising of the flag would make an awesome flag.

Have you considered the old skeletal familiar with candle?

With reference to skeletal muties, there are a number of useful bits from all over an orc skull on the orc sprue, the WHFB undead regiment of reknown, a genestealer skull on the genestealer sprue, a skeletal plague monk face on the (you guessed it) plague monk sprue...

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 12:40
Thanks Apologist, some great suggestions. Iwo Jima statue is definitely going to be done at some point so I need to find myself some piccies.

I will probably stick with the ork skulls to get the ape like look and I'ce got quite a few. I may have one or two nid skulls about but I will have to look closely at them first.

Arhalien
23-03-2007, 14:11
bagpipes and kilts FTW! :D

Excellent Dave, really excellent.

Not much else i can say :)

DigitsDavid
23-03-2007, 15:51
Cheers Arhalien. Yes I think having the pipes count as my Chaos Icon, calling forward deamons and nasties is really quite apt! I can't think of many other noises that can raise the dead and stir the fires of hell as much as pipes!

How are the Scorpions?

Apologist - where can I find a piccie of this familiar?

DigitsDavid
25-03-2007, 02:09
Been to Triples Wargames Show in Sheffield today. Very dissapointing and I came away with cash still in my wallet!

Was looking forward to the bring and buy, and despite my friend having to stand in the queue for an hour and a half to register a few items, there was NOTHING there! I suppose E-bay is where it all goes these days.

None the less managed to pick up a techno bridge, a couple of vultures for my Wild West town, some very nice buildings for my 28mm Japanese and half a dozen metal Black Tree Design skellie cavalry.

These come with saddles and tack and don't have the rediculous boned tail that the awful plastic skellie horses have. I've just finished knocking up the first rough rider for your comments. I may put a little stowage / holstered weapons on the next ones.

Cheers

Brother Siccarius
25-03-2007, 06:51
I've had these kicking around for years and keep meaning to give them some love so I thought I'd stick them on here.

I have NO idea what I'd use them for, but they were entertaining to build.

Ideas welcome.

I've also attached a piccie of my looted Russ, commanded by "Errr Win-Rumbal" Again built last year but not touched since. Want to finish it (along with my other Orky stuff which I'll post once it's done)

Imperial Guard, bionics equipment doctrine (Undead stamina aka."I lost a head, well at least it wasn't as bad as when I lost the leg")

Norsehawk
25-03-2007, 07:45
I love the undead horsemen, only slight problem, the pole for the lance is mixed into its back legs, which will cause the horse to either fall down, break off a leg or rip the lance out of his hands, I would reposition that, if you are feeling limited by the skeleton arms, chop them off at or near the shoulder and stick them underneath a cadian pad that you can chop off of any spare arm, like I did with my standard bearer and the zombie arm, to make it look like he is reaching out towards where he is looking, instead of the arm being pinned straight forward like it would be normally.

Arhalien
25-03-2007, 10:39
Cheers Arhalien. Yes I think having the pipes count as my Chaos Icon, calling forward deamons and nasties is really quite apt! I can't think of many other noises that can raise the dead and stir the fires of hell as much as pipes!

How are the Scorpions?

Great idea about the Chaos icon; bagpipes can certainly be hellish at time :)

The scorpions are fine thanks, I've just finished another one and updated my log with pics.

Great looking horseman as well; although I second Norsehawk; the lance does look like it's caught in the horses legs.

DigitsDavid
25-03-2007, 12:00
Thanks guys, point taken, I will sort the lance out.

doghouse
25-03-2007, 13:54
Excellent army! It's great to see a humourous force for a change. :)
Have you thought about making that Dinosaur Skeleton into a Defiler or even including Inquisitor Ash as an adversary complete with Eviserator hand and S-Mart Shotgun? :D
Definately going to be watching this one. :)

DigitsDavid
25-03-2007, 14:23
Hello Doghouse, welcome aboard. I'm glad you like them, I know I'm getting a buzz out of building them.

Dinosaur Defiler is certainly worth looking at! I'll have a think about it.

This is the second time soeones mentioned Ash. I'm afraid I don't know anything about him. Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

El Presedente
25-03-2007, 14:35
Ash is from the evil dead series, he has a chainsaw for a hand and a shotgun he calls his 'boom-stick' played by none times oscar winner Bruce Campbell.

DigitsDavid
25-03-2007, 20:13
Ah! I see. I'll have to get piccies and have a look.

I have been thinking about this defiler conversion. It might just work if I can mount the defiler body on the back of the velociraptor and make it look like it's meant to be there. I have a damaged defiler that can be canabalised.

Any suggestions?

DigitsDavid
26-03-2007, 10:42
I've repositioned the lance and I agree it does look considerably better. However, I'd like to add some "stowage" to the horse in order to "40k" it a bit.

I'd like to have a go at GS saddlebags but I can't find anything on making buckles.

Jase, if you read this, how did you do the ones on your Hellhound?

jasevx
26-03-2007, 13:44
They were just made out of GS! Used the flat edge of my knife tho get it right.

DigitsDavid
26-03-2007, 22:05
ok

I've painted up the rough rider to see what he'd look like. This one hasn't any additional kit.

El Presedente
26-03-2007, 22:12
make moar!

DigitsDavid
26-03-2007, 23:05
I would do Presedente but I've got no 40mm rounds to base them on! I intend doing a toal of eight horses.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arival of a second thud gun so I can get it built and then paint them both at the same time. I've got ideas for this including an observer holding his skull aloft and a gunner sat on the amo with a pipe!

I'm probably goint to paint cheeky sgt next.

El Presedente
26-03-2007, 23:20
Round bases eh? Is that the 'In' thing these days, "evry 40k model has to have a round base, oohhh!"

I'm just kidding, Keep up the good work.

I like the shells, on the lances, nice touch.

DigitsDavid
27-03-2007, 08:34
Round bases are the easiest way of ensuring squad cohesion!

Mortar round seemed the obvious choice for the lance. It was just a little tricky drilling out a hole and keeping the shell square" on to the lance.

jasevx
27-03-2007, 09:27
Looking Great! thats blended in superbly!

Brother Loki
27-03-2007, 10:19
Here is Ash...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Bruce_Campbell_Army_of_Darkness.jpg

I'm really impressed with all you've done on these. Can't believe I've only just looked at this log!

I'm like you, I prefer building and converting to painting. It's a curse, I tell you.

Pete

DigitsDavid
27-03-2007, 12:15
Welcome Brother Loki. Glad you like them and thanks for the picture. I'm fairly sure he'd be easy to model (in fact I'm sure I've seen a non GW figure that looks just like him!).

Well it's time to do some painting again, *sigh* as I seem to have more skellies awaiting painting then when I started this thread! LOL

Just e-bay'd a box of the old style plastic skellies so I need to paint to keep ahead of myself.

Still to build

7 troops to finish three squads standard.
7 Rough Riders
1 Tank Commander
1 "Iwo Jima " flag raising!
3 Alternate Heavy Weapons Teams (2 Lascanon, 1 H Bolter)
1 Thud Gun with crew.

This will then get me to my 2000 point LatD army (I already have the CSM and Deamon/ette figures)

After that, I am contemplating making sufficient numbers to field them using IG codex, but that's a little pie in the sky at the moment!

Cheers

Arhalien
27-03-2007, 14:24
Very nice work on the cavalry-skelly, although the left han looks a bit bare IMO; it's not really doing anythingd

DigitsDavid
27-03-2007, 14:49
I know what you mean. Unfortunately, the legs (and hand) are the metal original figure (see the WIP picture) and very few model horses have the reins positioned to be held! I'm not too worried about it though.

DigitsDavid
28-03-2007, 00:16
Well I've painted my piper at least. I had a go at the tartan, but I wish I'd given it to someone else to do! I think it's clear what he is though.

Well, on with the rest...

Cadian 21st
28-03-2007, 00:38
- I play the bagpipes, and that set there has a huge bag! Not to mention there's no blowpipe...Not too bad on the tartan! A guy at our store did up some on his Hordes minis - I'll see if I can't get a pic up for you! Good crack at a difficult piece of equipment!

DigitsDavid
28-03-2007, 00:48
LOL Blow pipe is "behind" the bag. This set needs to raise the dead hence the BIG bag!! I did this without the aid of a picture, what can I say?

Cheers for the feedback.

El Presedente
28-03-2007, 08:29
Very nice work, I think you pulled it off.

DigitsDavid
28-03-2007, 20:21
..and THAT'S what he thinks of your Corpse Emperor!!!

next up...painted commandos.

DigitsDavid
29-03-2007, 09:59
I've found a sentinel model without any feet, does anyone have spares by any chance? Failing that, I was thinking of having it rise from the ground. One foot would still be useful! Does anyone have ideas for how it might work?

I also found a couple of what look like (Chaos) Squat Walkers? I'll post pictures later but I have to admit I've never seen their like before. Any ideas?

Edit - I've just posted pictures in the general painting section.

jasevx
29-03-2007, 10:16
Only feet I've got are Tau Battlesuit which I think are way to small for your needs. could make it into a flyer, or skimmer?

bram kuijpers
29-03-2007, 13:16
..and THAT'S what he thinks of your Corpse Emperor!!!

next up...painted commandos.

ha he,s cool but never insult the emperor he is supercool

jasevx
29-03-2007, 16:18
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-Empire-Shield-Emblems-Spare-Bits-Lot_W0QQitemZ270104369464QQcategoryZ44129QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Dave those skulls any use to you?

DigitsDavid
29-03-2007, 17:02
The shield emblem ones. I actually have a few already thanks but I have no real use for them at the moment. Thanks for thinking of me though.

DigitsDavid
30-03-2007, 16:57
Here are the commandos painted up.

The second thuddgun has arrived so I'll be building that next and then painting both up together. I've also bought a Cadian flag bearer so I will be carving it off in preparation for the Iwo Jima stand. Before anyone asks, I'm deliberately keeping my eagles on the models and giving them an IG flag as these guys represent "just turned" and I think that it's infinitely more evil and demoralising to their imperial opposition to mock them!

Norsehawk
30-03-2007, 17:07
In my opinion for my dead guys. They are dead, they don't care if they still have the aquilla on or not. And the person reincarnating them thinks its extra funny to send them off to war wearing the same as they did before their demise.

DigitsDavid
30-03-2007, 19:09
Exactly!! Now, to find a picture of Iwo Jima...

Found one. This should be interesting, I didn't realise it took so many GI's to raise it!!

schoolcormorant
30-03-2007, 19:17
actually i don't think they actually needed that many men to raise it. the picture is very famous and is actually the second raising, it was orchestrated.

that info was from a show about it on UKTV history ;)

SC :)

DigitsDavid
30-03-2007, 19:28
Thanks SC, staged or not I'll give it a go! Do I see six guys there?

schoolcormorant
30-03-2007, 19:37
this should tell you everything you need to know :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima)
SC

DigitsDavid
30-03-2007, 19:43
Very interesting stuff. Thanks. Time to have a go me thinks...

DigitsDavid
30-03-2007, 22:30
Well an hour and a half's work and I managed to put the drill through my thumb! Got the first guy mounted. I don't think I'll put six on it though but probably four.

Forget Iwo Jima, this is Heeby Jeeby!

DigitsDavid
31-03-2007, 10:06
Well I was up until 2 this morning but I don't think it's turned out too bad! Not much use in game terms but a cool looking objective marker.

Oh, and I put all six on in the end!

What do you think guys?

Railgunner
31-03-2007, 10:20
That is looking awesome!!! Keep up this amazing work, can't wait to see it painted:)

RG

squiggoth
31-03-2007, 10:39
Hehehe .. I've read the entire blog twice now. Cool stuff, five stars because there's no option for six. :D

The flag raising guys aren't just funny, but actually look brilliant ... I love the dramatic poses you managed to give those skellies (altough the one at the back seems to be banging the helmet of the guy in front with his right hand ;)).

DigitsDavid
31-03-2007, 12:44
Great feedback guys. Thanks for the vote Squig! Yes I realise there is always going to be the odd funny hand with these guys as there is so little variety in the boxes. I do get the odd open hand from the Tomb King box, but less skellies for the money. I had no intention of messing with GS in the early hours of this morning so it's going to have to do! I've actually run out of Cadian belt pouches / bottles / grenades otherwise I'd have put more on. Unfortunately this means I'm going to have to buy another box of Cadians just for the bits because I have plenty of helmets and guns!!! GRRR!!

DigitsDavid
31-03-2007, 15:52
Just been to GW and put a deposit on a box of foundation paints. I hope that at 30 they improve my painting!

As it's nice and sunny, I think I'm going to sit in the garden and build the rest of my artillery. Raising the flag at Heeby Jeeby was great fun but it ain't gonna kill any Imperials now is it?

I've also found a great use for all the bits of skelly that are left over, especially from the metal rough riders. I don't know why I didn't see it before now, but I can take a unit of gibbering hoards (count as nuglings) so I can make a few swarm bases.

schoolcormorant
31-03-2007, 18:40
wow that really is fantastic, i nearly missed it too :cries::p

i like the fact that one in the end is fighting to grab it but can't reach :D

it definetely looks like Iwo Jima, i'll bet if you put the pic up anywhere people would say so.

get some paint on it ;)

and a slogan for them - when you've got them by the balls, their hearts and mids will follow :P - Nixon
SC

DigitsDavid
31-03-2007, 20:18
LOL. These guys havn't got balls or hearts and probably precious little in the mind department either!!

DigitsDavid
01-04-2007, 02:10
Time for bed soon, but here's a few bits I've completed today.

On the left, a lascanon team to swap out one of the autocanons.

In the middle, the first of my Gibbering Hoardes. I bought a cheap box of the old style plastic skellies which are slightly smaller and not half as nice. However, they will work well for these stands mixed with the cut off top half torsos from the metal cavalry skellies.

On the right, the second of the thuddguns. Note the guy sitting on the ammo box with a lit pipe. The observer uses his head to get a better view!

I'll base these models tomorrow as well as the Heeby Jeeby stand and start a little more painting.

bram kuijpers
02-04-2007, 10:57
Well I was up until 2 this morning but I don't think it's turned out too bad! Not much use in game terms but a cool looking objective marker.

Oh, and I put all six on in the end!

What do you think guys?

that is GREAT stuf love it just love it!

DigitsDavid
02-04-2007, 18:19
Cheers Bram.

Well it may not be Golden Demon standard but I'm quite chuffed with it.

Here is the painted "Raising the flag at Heeby Jeeby"

jasevx
02-04-2007, 18:29
Even Sally is impressed, and she hates warhammer!

schoolcormorant
02-04-2007, 18:30
it's fantastic :) but, the only thing holding you back is the flash lines :(

i love it, cool idea

SC

matz
02-04-2007, 18:31
looking really great. did you use the vampire counts or tomb kings ones? i think i will do something similar with SM

DigitsDavid
02-04-2007, 18:31
Horrified!!! Flash lines, where?

Edit - found them on the side of the skelly bodies - BUM! Things look ok in real scale, just this damn camera enlarges everything! As I said, I'm not going to win prizes!

Matz - I tend to use tomb kings as they have a few open hands included.

Jase - Tell Sally I'm touched. My wife can't stand Warhammer either and I showed it to her and she just shrugged!

schoolcormorant
02-04-2007, 19:31
don't worry about it Dave, i've done Cadians so the ones on the edge of the helmet are completely bloody familiar to me :mad::p

SC

DigitsDavid
02-04-2007, 22:29
It's an easy one to sort out I suppose.

Next up is to make the rough rider squad. I'm tempted to do them all with body armour as it sits well on the metal legs I have. There will be a mix of helmeted and bear heads + an officers cap.

I'm going to have eight in total. I've never used them before and I'm thinking of doing 6 with lance, one with melta and an officer with power sword. Does that sound a fair set up or does anyone suggest an alternative structure?

jasevx
02-04-2007, 23:50
It comes down to Anti Armour or multipurpose!

My rough rider are equiped with anti-tank personal weapons, but the rest set up for close combat.

DigitsDavid
03-04-2007, 09:54
I see mine as mainly anti MEQ.

Arhalien
03-04-2007, 13:07
The flag is great, really great.

Can't think of much else to say really :)

jasevx
03-04-2007, 15:51
Dave, got a couple of skellie bits in with a bits win on ebay, you want me to ship them up?

DigitsDavid
03-04-2007, 16:08
That would be great old bean. Thanks

DigitsDavid
04-04-2007, 21:50
Riders are on hold for now due to lack of 40mm round bases.

What I could do with is a good idea for painting the thuddguns. If I do them in catachan green, they'll look like every other piece in the army. Any ideas?

Cadian 21st
04-04-2007, 21:52
- Maybe they were dragged up out of a crater? Stripped of most of their paint, rusty, covered in mud, etc...

- Your army is my current desktop :D

DigitsDavid
04-04-2007, 21:55
- Your army is my current desktop :D

I'm flattered!!! (Heeby Jeeby I take it?)

Unfortunately, I'm not great at painting rusty effects! Great idea though.

Cadian 21st
04-04-2007, 22:11
- Thanks! I've mixed everything together into a collage on paint... I really like the army though. It's quite fantastic. You could paint the Thudds with a Khaki scheme then.

DigitsDavid
04-04-2007, 22:17
Now Khaki sounds good, I might have to experiment though as I find the GW paints difficult to work. But I like the idea.

Cadian 21st
04-04-2007, 22:18
- I don't use GW paints either ;). Whatever you used for the pants and hats previously. Alternatively, your regimental colours include blue and red (see flag at Heeby Jeeby), so you could include them for some details.

DigitsDavid
04-04-2007, 22:23
OK Khaki it is. I won't get to post it up for another two weeks as I'm off on my hols but I'll paint them next. I'm desperately trying to finish my tanks from my other thread in the morning so I can relax about them.

doghouse
06-04-2007, 22:33
Wow that Iwo Jima mini diorama looks great!
Any updates? :)

DigitsDavid
13-04-2007, 18:07
Cheers Doghouse! Just got back from my holiday in fantastic Italy, so I've not been up to much, however, I intend to try and get the thuddguns painted this weekend. I also need to build another half dozen troopers to finish off the squads so I hope to post them up soon too.

DigitsDavid
14-04-2007, 15:13
Well I've just put the colour on the guns. Though I find using GW Khaki's difficult. I don't think it's too bad. Any suggestions on improving it welcome.

I'll try to get the rest of the model painted tonight.

McMordain
14-04-2007, 17:44
Wow, this is a great thread. I love the commandos.
It's remind me, i wanted to do the same form my second (traitor) ig army.
Keep up the good work.

DigitsDavid
14-04-2007, 18:45
Cheers Mac, glad you like them. I'm still tempted to do a few more commandos, especially as I'd like one with a melta.