PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel Bolter colors

konate
08-02-2007, 15:10
The Dark Angels have changed their bolter colors a number of times. In second edition, I couldn't stand the red bolters. When the third edition came out, I was relieved when they went to the black bolters. Now, we're seeing a return to the red bolters again. What do you think?

Bloodthirster90
08-02-2007, 15:11
I prefer red, but as long as it's a nice dark red.

Catferret
08-02-2007, 15:27
Yup, seconded on the Dark Red. It provides a nice contrast with the green armour. Otherwise the model would turn out too dark and pretty boring looking. Marines use shock tactics when attacking and the use of complimentary colours will reinforce this psychologically on their opponents.

RFM275
08-02-2007, 15:50
The blood red bolters were horrible but now that they are a darker red you can bet I will be painting mine the same way.

Sandlemad
08-02-2007, 17:46
Yup, a dark red, almost brown, like old blood, is what does it for me. I've wondered what bone coloured bolters would look like but I suppose you need the third colour.

Funnily enough, I don't care for the red on the new studio Black Templars, their purity seals and whatnot. I'm not sure why, maybe it's more visible or deviates from the old scheme too much. Hypocritical, eh?:p

Hulkster
08-02-2007, 17:54
Blood Red with Black Ink for me

DA should always have red bolters

guillimansknight
08-02-2007, 17:57
The Dark Angels have changed their bolter colors a number of times. In second edition, I couldn't stand the red bolters. When the third edition came out, I was relieved when they went to the black bolters. Now, we're seeing a return to the red bolters again. What do you think?

im the 1st guy who voted other

i like black with silver highlighting and some rank indication on the main bit of the bolter casing.

Kjell
08-02-2007, 18:00
I prefer the look of black bolters. It's just more subtle. Red weapons stand out too much, they're not as much part of the whole as black ones.

Brother Lysander
08-02-2007, 18:07
Red for me, although again it has to be dark. Black bolters just look a little dull, almost unfinished.

BL

Captain Micha
08-02-2007, 18:15
Black lol period. how do you want your guns. gun metal gray or black.

Stella Cadente
08-02-2007, 18:31
Black, even the silver parts should be black, I myself have never USED a Silver and red SA80 lol, so I'd keep it all black, for realism, and the simplicities of painting it that way.

L-DUB
08-02-2007, 18:38
I like the red bolters, but dark red not blood red. All my DA marines have dark red bolters and melta-guns. I went with metallic on the hvy weapons and plasma.

exsulis
08-02-2007, 18:44
Black all the way as Red just looks silly. I've been know to use yellow, or gold on the highlights but thats as far as I'd be willing to go.

Hulkster
08-02-2007, 18:44
lol realism

I myself have also never used a silver and red SA80 (L85 A1) or SA82 (L85 A2).

but this game is not about realism, especially when it comes to Space Marines

Some space marines are bright red, some are bright blue and some are even pink

red bolters are not unrealistic for Space Marines, in fact I think it adds a little character

Weregerbil
08-02-2007, 18:46
They should be pink.

The boyz
08-02-2007, 18:47
I quite like Red for DA bolters, but it does have to be a dark red. I think it contrasts nicley with the dark green of the power armour.

Venomizer
08-02-2007, 18:58
personally.........I prefer black bolters, more fitting for the chapter in my opinion

however, on an aesphetic level red bolters generally look better - as long as the red is dark

TEMPLARDAWG
08-02-2007, 19:05
I prefer black dry brushed with bolt gun. Colored weapons just doesn't look right to me.

<><

Wintermute
08-02-2007, 19:15
Black bolter cases every time. Red looks to toy like and IMO stupid.

Yog_Sothoth
08-02-2007, 19:48
They should be pink.

I agree, itīs about time they come out of the closet.

Slaaneshi Slave
08-02-2007, 19:55
I prefer black dry brushed with bolt gun. Colored weapons just doesn't look right to me.

But weapons are coloured. Mine has a green case.

So I vote for green, its a much more tactical colour than red. Black is good too, but mine is green, if its good enough for me, its good enough for theoretical super human warriors of the future.

Angel of the Black Parade
08-02-2007, 20:04
I vote for black. DARK angels would surely paint their bolters black? I could understand ba doing it, but not us. I agree with Wintermute. Red looks like a toy gun.

Azuremen
08-02-2007, 20:45
Red and Green... holiday colors.

So scary with X-mas looming near... in their robes as well :p

Black just looks.. better and less happy

Angel of the Black Parade
08-02-2007, 20:56
Red and Green... holiday colors.

So scary with X-mas looming near... in their robes as well :p

Black just looks.. better and less happy

Exactly! Dark Angels aint xmas angels! would you be happy with what your chapter had done? Yeah, make em goths!

Caligula
08-02-2007, 21:05
I like a nice deep red for the bolter casings. It's just classic.

JustTony
08-02-2007, 21:08
I prefer to attempt an actual gun-metal, blued-steel look, like the wonderful finish on the sadly discontinued Colt Python revolver. And it's damn hard to do, I haven't really succeeded yet. On things like heavy weapons and sniper rifles I usually use a flat black for stocks and various gray metallics for barrels and receivers/actions/magazines. I like the weapons I paint to look as realistic as possible. And yes I know it's a very unrealistic game.

Peace: through superior firepower.

GraveDancer
08-02-2007, 21:22
red for my rank and file, black for my veterans. the black just stands out better against white robes and like other have said, red contrasts against the dark green

Lyinar
08-02-2007, 21:32
Tony, have you tried mixing metallic colours and inks, specifically Black Ink and Blue Ink?

I've gotten a decent blued metal effect that way.

I'd have to go with a dark red bolter case for the Dark Angels... Space Marine weapons aren't about looking 'tactical', they are just as much ritual weapons as those carried by Eldar Aspect Warriors.

last_chancer
08-02-2007, 22:11
I'm saying red...

For contrast and "no fear" value... :evilgrin:

With silver or boltgun detailing, if we're being fussy...

Odin
08-02-2007, 23:15
I hated the old bright red bolters. The new dark red ones aren't too bad. But I don't like the contrast of red and dark green - makes them look like a christmas tree. Black ones look quite good. But my bolters are just gunmetal. Looks much better I think.

Brother Fenix
08-02-2007, 23:38
Black with silver handguards...the red was too bright...

Ironhand
09-02-2007, 00:35
I painted my Dark Angels army with black bolters because that's what the then-current Codex showed. I think I'll paint my (new) Command Squad and (new) Company Veterans Squad with dark red bolters to distinguish them as Veterans.

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 00:43
I use boltgun metal for the entire bolter, then use tin blitz instead of red. It actually looks pretty sharp.

deathwing_marine
09-02-2007, 00:59
I use black, but the red casings looked really nice on the robed marines

GrimWulf
09-02-2007, 01:04
Wood Paneled

Obvious_Ninja
09-02-2007, 01:49
I have Black on my "standard" DA and then my Ravenwing have a deep red...

[GK]alien
09-02-2007, 05:55
Red is complementary color of green so is ok, black also work fine on the veteran marines with robe.

Gerrok
09-02-2007, 06:49
I'm not a DA player, but I've seen dark red, black, metallic (I think it was chainmail), and bleached bone bolters.

Depending on how much red you put on the rest of the model the red bolters can be a little too much, but if you don't make every other detail red it can look pretty good. The other 3 colors look awesome, unless you're using bleached bone on bleached bone robed marines. That's just too white for dark angels (he ended up painting his robes a dark color).

JustTony
11-02-2007, 05:41
Yeah, that's what I've gotten the best results with so far. It's still not that Colt blued steel, but then it is a plastic model. Not sure if I'm a perfectionist with idealistic tendencies or an idealist with perfectionistic tendencies. :D Oh well.

Peace;through superior firepower.

Dais
11-02-2007, 06:51
black looks good but i say DA green or deathwing bone.
red dosent look that good and black has some background conflicts and looks out of place.

BrainFireBob
11-02-2007, 08:00
I'm using thin blood red on black with black glaze on the top half only, the rest being metallic, and I'm liking the look- like red casings over the machinery. Why red? Because it's intimidating, danggit. They don't need stealth, they have happy-funtime death toys!

Gaebriel
11-02-2007, 08:58
Other : Gunmetal - I don't paint Bolter casings, ever.

Angelus Mortis
11-02-2007, 13:13
Last thing I want is the original Angels of Death to be running around with tacky looking red bolters. I think bright colored weapons in general are pretty cheesy looking, except maybe on the Orks and Eldar and thats because one is goofy and the other is efeminant, so its to be expected. But on Space Mainres? Heck no. I can see the next Superbowl commerical now. Two Space Marines getting issued a red bolter and one saying "quick do something manly", then they start ripping out their chest hair. ;)

Tamwulf
11-02-2007, 15:36
Black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Tamwulf/Sq2.jpg

Crazy Snika
11-02-2007, 19:58
Scab Red for me. I have to say that the contrast is great with the dark green armour.
Black is definatly way to bland. It won't stand out enough IMO.

Brother Bart
11-02-2007, 23:23
I prefer red personally, but then I started collecting Dark Angels since before 2nd Ed first came out. Their armor used to be all black, and red complimented it well. The dark green armor came along and they kept the red equipment/detail color. It works for me as long as its not like "Blood Angel" red. I dont want my Dark Angels to look like walking christmas trees...I use a mix of scab red , red gore, and black for a base coat, then work up to scab red.

Brother Bart
11-02-2007, 23:32
They should be pink.

"It's not pink, it's lightish red!":D

Interrogator Bob
12-02-2007, 01:25
Dark angels with red bolter are santa's lil helpers :P

avengerx71
12-02-2007, 06:03
So yea for My DA I use white I really like the contrast and before you say well what about the robed ones that have those whitish robes. Well All my robed DAs are done with a codex gray and my HQ/special characters have black robes reminiscent of the Inquisition.

HalfEvil333
12-02-2007, 06:46
Depends on the armor color for me. For the black used for the Ravenwing, I'd go with red, adds some nice contast. On the basic green armor, black. I've seen some pics with good red, but it needs to be dark, real dark. I can go either way with Deathwing, but it would also need to be a dark color, too. Either way, a bright red on any of them other than the Ravenwing just draws too much attention and doesn't give the right kind of contrast.

dblaz3r
12-02-2007, 08:19
i`m with you on this one halfevil333