PDA

View Full Version : Are Night Goblins Goblins?

Hochdorf
08-02-2007, 15:50
OK, the title of this thread is a silly question, but this is what I mean:

Magic Mushrooms are a "Night Goblins only" magic item. Everyone would agree that common Goblins are not Night Goblins. Therefore, you can't give a Goblin character Magic Mushrooms.

However, for the numerous "Goblins only" magic items, should we assume that it means only common Goblins? Goblins aren't Night Goblins, but are Night Goblins Goblins? For example, I want to put the Spider Banner in a unit of Night Goblins. Do I have to use a Goblin battle standard bearer, or can I use a Night Goblin battle standard bearer?

Next, if I can only give the Spider Banner to a common Goblin standard bearer, it's rules read "all Goblins in this unit have poisoned attacks". Does this mean that Night Goblins in the unit do not have poisoned attacks? For example, if I put Skarsnik in a unit with the Spider Banner would his attacks become poisoned? Or not because he is a Night Goblin, not a Goblin?

If it just said "goblins" with a lower case "g" I would take it to mean all varieties of goblins. However, "Goblins" with an upper case "G" might mean just common Goblins.

Doc Havoc
08-02-2007, 16:16
The ork FAQ/Erratta makes it pretty clear that Night goblins are a form of goblin. But not the reverse.

It also states that the same goes for orcs. (ie. savage orcs and black orcs are a form of orc.)

Festus
08-02-2007, 17:38
Hi

You don't need a FAQ or an Errata. Just read the bloody Book:

O&G army book, p. 42, left column, second paragraph... right in front of the Magic Item selection :eyebrows:

Festus

Braad
08-02-2007, 19:00
Indeed, Festus, but just to clear it up for everyone...

All goblins are called "goblins". And you have the subgroups "common goblins" and "night goblins" (and ofcourse, also forest goblins again...). If a magic item has in it's description "goblins only" then all goblins from all subgroups can take it. Only if it is listed as "common goblins only" or "night goblins only" then it can only be taken by that certain subgroup.

Same goes for orcs.
If it says "orcs only" than all black orcs, common orcs and savage orcs can take them. If it says "common orcs only", then only common orcs can take it.

But I can understand the confusion since the items list has no entries which are "common goblin only" or "common orc only".

Hochdorf
08-02-2007, 19:20
OK, thanks. I don't have the book with me now because I'm on holiday. :(

Avian
09-02-2007, 09:17
All goblins are called "goblins". And you have the subgroups "common goblins" and "night goblins" (and ofcourse, also forest goblins again...). If a magic item has in it's description "goblins only" then all goblins from all subgroups can take it. Only if it is listed as "common goblins only" or "night goblins only" then it can only be taken by that certain subgroup.
Though it is important to realise that this terminology only applies to the Magic Items section. When the army list says "Orc and Savage Orc Big Bosses may have a spear", then "Orc" means just the regular Orcs, not all types of Orcs. Similarly, when it says that Goblin characters may ride wolves, it means common Goblins only, not all types of Goblins.

Braad
09-02-2007, 10:30
They are not making things easy for us, aren't they...
But indeed.

Avian
09-02-2007, 10:34
They should've stuck with "Common Goblin" as a name for a type of Goblin. That way the word "Goblin" would have been much clearer.