PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts-2000pts

colnagoing
09-02-2007, 02:05
I don't entirely know how well vampires are since I have been using a master necromancer alot (some of the guys i play with are not very good at sniping characters). So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1 Necrarch Vampire Count @ 335 Pts
General; Necrarch; Level 2 Upgrade
1 Dark Acolyte
1 Nehekhara's Noble Blood
1 The Awakening

1 Necromancer @ 125 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Book of Arkhan

1 Necromancer @ 150 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Power Familiar

1 Necromancer @ 140 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Staff of Damnation

15 Skeletons @ 160 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer; Skeleton Captain; Hand Weapon; Spear; Shield

15 Skeletons @ 160 Pts

15 Skeletons @ 160 Pts

9 Ghouls @ 72 Pts

9 Ghouls @ 72 Pts

18 Zombies @ 123 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer

18 Zombies @ 123 Pts

20 Grave Guard @ 290 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer; Crypt Keeper Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2000

eleveninches
09-02-2007, 10:56
I like it.

Give the grave guard the banner of the barrows, and you will have a solid list. You might want to consider giving one of the necros a cloak of mist and shadows, although it means dropping some magic items

Nedar
09-02-2007, 11:20
I very much like this list too :)

It's very similar to what my 2000 point lists are coming out to look like. One think that concerns me a tad is that a list like that has no speedy units (Knights/Wolves/or even bats)...is this much of a problem? I guess it's possible to take down faster units that elude you with spells, or even ignore them for the most part.

tyrion11482
09-02-2007, 17:21
I very much like this list too :)

It's very similar to what my 2000 point lists are coming out to look like. One think that concerns me a tad is that a list like that has no speedy units (Knights/Wolves/or even bats)...is this much of a problem? I guess it's possible to take down faster units that elude you with spells, or even ignore them for the most part.

summons zombies and vanhels them into whatever you need to

Nedar
09-02-2007, 17:28
Indeed...been re-tooling some of my armies over this; as grave guards are my fave, so wanted to incorporate them as much as I could :D

Thanks tyrion.

Senbei
09-02-2007, 17:38
no dispel scrolls?

DarthBinky
09-02-2007, 18:08
I have been running a similar Necrarch army lately. Except for the zombies, I like it. You should never pay points for zombies- summon them using Invocation! You have four wizards for some heavy-handed magic phase domination. With the points you spent on those zombies you could take more ghouls, grave guard, black knights, etc- that is, the game-winning units that you can't replace mid-battle. I would recommend more ghouls especially, since their crap Ld means if they take a few casualties, they'll panic and run off the board unless your Necrarch happens to be nearby to boost their Ld.

I generally don't bother with champions in my skaryton units either, since that overpriced extra attack usually doesn't make much difference (I find that skaryton musicians are equally worthless- they never take rally tests, and mine rarely get a draw when in HTH). I think the points are better spent elsewhere (dispel scroll for the Necro with Book of Arkhan maybe? ;)).

I would also recommend considering giving the Grave Guard a magic banner. Banner of the Barrows (since their WS is kinda sucky for an elite unit) or the Banner of Doom (since they tend to attract a lot of shooting) are pretty good choices. With such a large brick of Guard, I'd probably say go with the Banner of Doom, so that you'll hopefully still get those rank bonuses when they hit the enemy line. I usually save the Banner of the Barrows for a Black Knight unit, since you *really* want those to hit, and they're fast enough that they probly won't get shot up too much (if you play things right).

Just my $.02

warlord hack'a
09-02-2007, 18:59
I see some serious problems regarding this list

problems for my army I mean ;-).

It's a list with a solid plan behind it (raise like crazy and bolster the fighting ability of your forces with spells) which makes it dangerous. However, even with the spells you seriously lack hitting power (except for the grave guard). But you do tend to stick into combat due to your raising ability (you've got what, 13 power dice and 2 bound spells). This leaves you with four types of enemy lists that might be dangerous:
1) very magic heavy opponent (dispels your spells and concentrates his spells one one unit at a time)
2) horde army; you can summon all you want but as long as there is no flank exposed in which you can charge you are not likely to win a round of combat (excpet with the graveguard)
3) very fast enemy army that can concentrate all attacks on part of your force, temporarily overwhelming you and winning those intense battles before you have a chance to resummon some stuff
4) very heavy shooting armies, they will just target one unit with necromancer in it at a time.

But as you can see all these armies are very, meaning extreme. An average army will have a hard time against you due to your sheer overwhelming number of power dice.. If you want to make it stronger add more hitty units and maybe a few bats to stop enemies from sneaking around your flanks.

eleveninches
09-02-2007, 21:52
maybe give the vampire a sword of unholy power and then allow one of the necros to have cloak of mist and shadows

Lolly Pop Chewer
09-02-2007, 23:15
This is a copy and paste powergamer list. Any more than 8 powerdice in a army is powergameing. Drop some necromancers and take wights or wraths.

dominic_carrillo
09-02-2007, 23:48
This is a copy and paste powergamer list. Any more than 8 powerdice in a army is powergameing. Drop some necromancers and take wights or wraths.

but then how would he bolster his puny skeleton and zombie units?
the fact that he took a Necrarch instead of a master necromancer (cheaper) shows some remnants of originality.

seriously though, i never leave home without my units being at least 20 strong. im pretty sure that many of the lists posted on this site are never played, players just write them and post them up fishing for complements.

if you come with 15 strong skeleton units in my group, expect to get worked and lose by turn two.

by more skeletons. just a suggestion

sralialo
10-02-2007, 10:45

He's playing a Necrarch army. It's supposed to be magic heavy, and it doesnt have that much else going for it. It's not a very strong fighting army, and it doesn't have any shooting at all. Magic and Fear is what's keeping this list, and I don't really see the power gaming-aspect your pointing out. But if you want to clearify it, please do.

Lolly Pop Chewer
10-02-2007, 13:43
Every unit in his army is unbreakable and causes fear. Thats powergameing in itself, the fact he has made the army a point and click by haveing so much majic only makes it worse.

Master Vampire
10-02-2007, 21:14

So you do it as well?

Every unit in his army is unbreakable and causes fear. Thats powergameing in itself, the fact he has made the army a point and click by haveing so much majic only makes it worse.

Man, unbreakable and fear and the main strengths of this army. Don't complain, you silly ! It ain't overpowered as their WS, LD and I are all below average, and they don't excel in any of the other stats. To add to that, to counter unbreakable and fear, undead crumble when they lose a battle as well as can't march if the general is within a certain range.

This is pure trolling. A Necrarch army is supposed to be heavy on magic. Without it, it won't function.

colnagoing
10-02-2007, 22:31
Wow, alot of posts thanks! (and vamp counts are balanced...just kill the general and you pretty much auto-win)

Magic isnt really an issue given im putting out 13 power dice and 8 dispell.

At the moment my regular opponents are dark elves (balanced in every area), dwarves (gun line with maybe 6 or 7 dispel, though the hills have forests infront of them to neutralize alot of his dakka, e.g. shooting the GG hiding behind zombies), and a somewhat shooty empire player. I feel that the zombies will absorb alot of firepower and since they are zombies...they wont be missed when they die. Honestly, I may have some trouble every now and then with the magic phase, but once i hit thier lines, thier mages should be pretty occupied or dead. (banshee is hunting them...)

Here is a modified list. I have a game schedualed for tuesday against either dwarves with an anvil or dark elves, so hopefully it goes well. Any ideas?

1 Necrarch Vampire Count @ 335 Pts
General; Necrarch; Level 2 Upgrade
1 Nehekhara's Noble Blood
1 The Awakening
1 Dark Acolyte

1 Necromancer @ 125 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Book of Arkhan

1 Necromancer @ 150 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Power Familiar

1 Necromancer @ 140 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
1 Staff of Damnation

15 Skeletons @ 150 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Spear; Shield

15 Skeletons @ 150 Pts

15 Skeletons @ 150 Pts

9 Ghouls @ 72 Pts

9 Ghouls @ 72 Pts

17 Zombies @ 117 Pts

17 Zombies @ 117 Pts

20 Grave Guard @ 335 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer; Crypt Keeper; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Shield
Banner of the Barrows

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2003

Any ideas would certainly help.

sralialo
12-02-2007, 15:49
The list looks solid, but get it down to 2000 pts sharp, to be able to join tournie and stuff. The best this is to just get used to not going over, not even by a point.

So in essence, you think that the whole army book is power gaming?

In that case, most armies that focus on one phase is power gaming. Dwarves, Empire, High ELves, Slann-Lizardmen, etc. There's supposed to be differences between armies, and some armies have to be better than others in the different phases.

And I don't really understand why you think this list is so much power gaming, as Nercarch VC really struggles in almost every other phase of the game. There are plenty of ways to beat them, and it isn't that hard to hunt down a nercarch lord.

colnagoing
13-02-2007, 23:58
Ended up with a major victory. every unit performed decent to very good. his anvil blew up on the first turn. throughout the game i came up with a total of 5 miscasts. I managed to pull off Curse of Ages on his iron breakers...which if it had not happened they would not have been ran down by my black knights in following combats (7 dwarves dead before they got there!). Both my VC and WE have now earned a place in his book of grudges! The only problem I found was that my vampire almost died. though it was due to miscasts and a single combat. (regaining wounds is sooo great). I had alot of trouble casting anything during the game though (between miscasts and really poor rolling i would get off 1-2 non-bound spells per turn, and thats against only 4 D-dice!)

Overall, i like necarch. I just wish they werent so likely to die from combat and magic.

tyrion11482
14-02-2007, 03:23
I would drop some stuff off of the count to get the ring of the night. 5+ ward is better than nothing, and if you can scrape the points and dont need him to be mobile you could mount him if it struck your fancy.