PDA

View Full Version : Medusa V: Why the WW campaign worked for me

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 03:26
Hello folks. :)
I've noticed some bad blood here and there about Medusa V, the recent Worldwide campaign. I can sympathize with some of the views expressed, but I wanted to express my own, and how I managed to get the most out of it.
The first part of that formula was simply that I gamed with an amazing group of players at my locale, an independant game store we all go to. We had first class terrain and experienced players by the bushel, so there was no end to the opponents or challenge presented. I have to give props to them for generating the environment that makes the game so much fun week in and week out. (We've since formalized into a full blown 40K club called the Mournival. We even have nifty T-shirts).
The second part was unexpected but delightful. I saw that it was a narrative campaign and reporting our victories would have an effect on the outcome of the campaign storyline. I was cool with that. I expected only a few nondescript battles and empty battle report posting for my part, but I liked the way it was put together to seem relevant.
The unexpected element was the participation of the players on the forums for Medusa V. Simply stated, it was spectacular. I entered the fray myself when I declared that my Inquisitor character, Kurlin, was going to attack any imperial army seen to be pacting with Xenos or cooperating with Chaos. It was something I was fully prepared to do - challenge space marine or imperial guard players at the store - since it seemed the juciest thing for my Inquisitor and his Sisters of Battle forces to tap into.
Honestly, I expected to be flamed for the post. It was in character and a slight bit merciless. Instead, I was incorporated into the unfolding storyline of all the other players there in a major way. I was unprepared for how much (good, storyline based) drama it generated. I'd log in each day to see half a dozen threads (or new ones) debating the Kurlin crisis - pledging support or defiance in equal terms.
From there, things really took off. Players were posting in character left and right and it really accentuated the experience. We all tied our battles together in memorable ways - so and so played a battle to cover my left flank, I played a battle to defend X, while another guy played a battle to cover my right flank. Depending on how our battles went, I'd face their enemies or cover their retreat or reinforce their position. They'd do the same for me. Altogether, it generated tons of scenarios to be played out, each one claustrophobic, relevant, and intense. I'd gotten what I'd always wanted from a wargame: The idea that I was fighting for something that seemed dynamic and palpable, instead of just an empty pick up game.
The height of it on my end came when an Ultramarine player and I devised a track of games for one of the days we were playing. Leading in from some of the storyline on the forums, my Inquisitor and his sisters were helping stem a Tau advance into Sybilla Primus. It was bloody and unpleasant but I pulled a draw on the Tau player.
We then devised that the crafty Tau had lured us into position for a unique ambush. Using well place jamming transmitters, the Tau foiled our sensor scans just as a group of Ultramarines landed nearby and started to push through to the Tau front - which the Tau had vacated, leaving them to face us. In the blackout of the Hive's undercity, mistaken identity reigned, and we clashed in open warfare, Sisters of Battle versus Ultramarine.
We had a special rule in place that each turn we'd roll to see if we could recognize each other in the dark, smokey hell of battle to call off the fight. Eventually it worked, but the Ultramarines had maruaded through the Sisters ranks - though to be fair, they were pretty mauled as well. My Inquisitor was struck down by a Chaplain named Vangelis.
I planned for that, though. Before I left the store that day, I bought a new space marine commander kit and over the next week or two, I cobbled together a new version of my Inquisitor Lord with mixed bits from the Immolator sprues and other odds and ends. Inquisitor Kurlin returned in black armor, with a cybernetic leg, a bionic left arm, a heavily cybered face, and an arm that was actually a combi weapon (melta and bolter) that replaced his entire right arm. :D
We played this out though. Vangelis and my Canoness counterattacked the Tau together with our forces and pushd them back. Meanwhile, on the forums, it was declared that my wounded, the wounded Inquisitor, and several nearby wounded blood angels, were all being defended at a medicae. This culminated in a dramatic defense of the medicae from chaos flankers who attempted to wipe it out. We gave the enemy players (two of them) Without Number for most of their units, our mission to hold it at all costs. I'm proud to say it was a victorious slaughter on our side - we wiped the board clean of opposition in turn 4!
And it just went on and on from there. By combining the background/setting of the game, the interaction on the forums (which was very important) and the quality of gamers I was throwing dice with, I honestly had one of the best experiences in my 20+ year gaming life with the whole shebang. The whole thing from start to finish was a gorgeous experience - mainly because (here's the thrust of it, I think) we were able to tell each other the story from day to day, rather than have it assigned to us. (The Tau players formed a coalition where their battles had a magnificent effect, dragging an asteroid through space to smash Ice Station Alpha - something improvised by them but embrace by the powers running the game to make it an official event.)
Granted, a key aspect to this was forum access and participation in them as I've just described, which not every player could or would do. I totally understand the angle. No problem. I fault not your experience or your complaints.
For my part, though, I had an absolute blast. I'd love to see the next worldwide campaign follow suit, though hopefully a forum will be restored for at least the length of the next campaign so this priceless interaction can be restored. Who do I want to be next time...the return of Inquisitor Kurlin, or my new and precious Dark Angels? Decisions, decisions.
Did anyone else actually enjoy the game here? There were tons of people on the forums there who did. Anyone around here?

LM

The Dude
09-02-2007, 03:40
Wow. It sounds like you had a great old time. Unfortunately, we here in Oz didn't get access to Medusa Forums, which did make the whole thing a bit hollow IMO.

Dark Apostle197
09-02-2007, 03:44
Nice to see Inquisitor Kurlin made it to the Warseer forums. Glod to see you liked the campaign, I thought it was ok, and can't really complain too much, but it wasn't "great" to me.

RampagingRavener
09-02-2007, 03:57
Agreed with the OP-Medusa V was my first WW campaign, and I loved it. Probably due to my choice of army, at times the constant backstabbing and personal vendett's going on in the Dark Eldar boards here was often more entertaining that the actual games! Even though I never got very many games in at all, it was interesting to work various little plotlines together until everything came to a head with the Kabals loyal to Vect storming No'Akei's ship. Perfectly in character for the Dark Eldar, and brilliant to see our efforts worked into the main plot.

So, yea. I dearly hope the next 40k WW campaign is done in the same way. Even though the winners were predictably the Imperials, it didn't seem to matter much to me.

The Dude
09-02-2007, 04:18
I really wish I had had access to the forums as it sounds like it was great fun. The best I could do was writing my own narrative in my battle reports. I ended up with an interesting story though, as I ended up playing mostly Marines with my Marines, so I had to write about how all of the misguided Marines thought I was evil for some reason.

Still, nobody got to see the whole thing but me… :(

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 04:26
Wow. It sounds like you had a great old time. Unfortunately, we here in Oz didn't get access to Medusa Forums, which did make the whole thing a bit hollow IMO.

I can totally sympathize. I have to admit that the forum was the heart of it, no questions asked. I really hope the powers that be restore at least a temporary forum to the gamesworkshop website for the next campaign. having a central, official meeting place to see everything happen at once made the game come to life.

Nice to see Inquisitor Kurlin made it to the Warseer forums. Glod to see you liked the campaign, I thought it was ok, and can't really complain too much, but it wasn't "great" to me.

It was honestly far better than I expected, dare say I, it was ideal for what I wanted to experience. Your mileage may vary. :) Glad to see you recognize the name Kurlin. I hope I can remain infamous enough to be remembered in the next campaign off the bat :P

Agreed with the OP-Medusa V was my first WW campaign, and I loved it. Probably due to my choice of army, at times the constant backstabbing and personal vendett's going on in the Dark Eldar boards here was often more entertaining that the actual games! Even though I never got very many games in at all, it was interesting to work various little plotlines together until everything came to a head with the Kabals loyal to Vect storming No'Akei's ship. Perfectly in character for the Dark Eldar, and brilliant to see our efforts worked into the main plot.

So, yea. I dearly hope the next 40k WW campaign is done in the same way. Even though the winners were predictably the Imperials, it didn't seem to matter much to me.

Medusa V's biggest strength was their allowance for the fans to truly guide what happened and how, as the Hammer storyline of the Tau showed. They changed their own plans to let that fly and it made a real statement about the impact our battles could potentially have.

Starchild
09-02-2007, 04:58
I entered the fray myself when I declared that my Inquisitor character, Kurlin, was going to attack any imperial army seen to be pacting with Xenos or cooperating with Chaos.So, that was you then? Well met. The role-play drama of the ally discussions were half the fun for me. At the last minute you showed up to destroy any hope of an alliance between the Imperium and the Eldar, though there were many Imperial Commanders who were voicing their support for one.

A proposed Eldar alliance with the Tau never made it past the Water Caste's negotiation, and alliances with any other faction were rendered impossible. So the Eldar went to war alone, although, even with the broken 3rd ed. Codex we still managed 3rd place overall. Now in my book, Eldar really got 2nd place on Medusa V, but that's another story. :angel:

PrinnySquad
09-02-2007, 07:43
Wow, that sounds awesome.
Do you have any pictures of the re-built Inquistor?

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 09:21
So, that was you then? Well met. The role-play drama of the ally discussions were half the fun for me. At the last minute you showed up to destroy any hope of an alliance between the Imperium and the Eldar, though there were many Imperial Commanders who were voicing their support for one.

A proposed Eldar alliance with the Tau never made it past the Water Caste's negotiation, and alliances with any other faction were rendered impossible. So the Eldar went to war alone, although, even with the broken 3rd ed. Codex we still managed 3rd place overall. Now in my book, Eldar really got 2nd place on Medusa V, but that's another story. :angel:

Aw, now doesn't that just break my inquisitorial heart... :P Really, I think Inquisitors are THE characters to play in worldwide campaigns now. Even building up my long coveted Dark Angels, I'm still very drawn to my Inquisitorial taskforce. (I'm even considering a pair of forgeworld exorcists to update the ranks, because those pipe organs are really not doing it for me visually).
I realized what a villain Kurlin could be in the campaign and I embraced it for all I was worth. Out of character, I saw the merit of such alliances; in character, well, you know that story. ;P I was delighted when Kurlin was even mentioned in a weekly dispatch for that manuver I pulled right before the Hammer hit Ice Station Alpha. I hope that act lives on in the players' minds forever.... >:P

Wow, that sounds awesome.
Do you have any pictures of the re-built Inquistor?

I'm dying to get some done. I'm going to see if I can find the original Kurlin (modified Daemonhunter) so I can do before and after pictures. The current Kurlin looks like a cross between Darth Vader and a small tank - exactly my hope. ;P

Shasolenzabi
09-02-2007, 09:48
[[[ Well, having been in the Tau sector for Eye of Terror, it was definitely different to not be isolated in some little corner, yet we did find not all went as well as we had hoped, some of the static effect of the maps made me think of Storm of Chaos(Play Beastmen), and that we had to change targets for the Hammer to hit Ice Station Alpha as it was closing anyway, Geryon Base was original target(For obvious reasons), but GW said let it stay in play, and take this place out instead as we will not mind it being smashed! And then Kurlin placed PoW's in the target zone, Hmmmmmm, 1million bars of Gold pressed Luminium are now offered for Kurlin's head!! ;)

We will get you next campaign Inquisitor Kurlin!! (Said in Dr.Klaw voice)! ;P

Forbiddenknowledge
09-02-2007, 12:13
I sadly was playing fantasy at the time, and I bet for the next WW campaign, I will be playing the wrong genre.... you'd think I would get it right by now.

Sikkukkut
09-02-2007, 12:30
Posts like this renew my faith in wargaming. I love the narrative stuff, I always try to have a story ready for every game I play, and the best gaming sessions I've had are where we extrapolate from one game and improvise some special scenarios to play out what happens next. Sometimes I get alarmed at the growing number of people who, when they hear this, look at me blankly and ask "but how does that help you get ready for tournaments?", but then I read something like this and get motivated all over again. Thank you :)

mpears
09-02-2007, 13:16
my son wanted to get involved as he was too young to take part at the local shop, so we had a games at home, he loved posting his reports and getting merits/badges.
he has now read so many BL books his reading age is 3 years more advanced than his own, and he is painting his own figures :D
we are just waiting for this summers fantasy campaign now

all in all it worked for us

Dreachon
09-02-2007, 13:22
I certainly had a lot of fun in terrorizing our local club with the Nids, if the next is like this I'll happy except for 1 vital chance, victory should be calculated by numbers of victories in that it's so that imperials will always win just because more people play SM.

Fred_Scuttle
09-02-2007, 13:42
I had every intention of taking part in the Battles - but personal time was so scarce I did not have many mini's ready to go - nor a real solid working knowledge of 40K in time. Had Chaos Marine Reg # 79!!

I did have a blast following the battle reports and such from GW. I think they did a GREAT job of tying the Cities of Death buildings into it.

Also - because of the conciet that the world was doomed from the get go - expectations that this was going to ROCK THE FOUNDATIONS of the 40K universe were never set. So, people were happy what ever the outcome.

Here is hoping that they follow a similar format to this Summer's Fantasy Campaign. I **WILL** be ready for that one!!!

Fred

WarbossKurgan
09-02-2007, 14:14
I had a blast during Medusa V as well, Da_Fifty Fiff Bad Redz got up to all sorts of high-jinx. I lost count of the number of times that little snippets from the Orks (of the-waaagh.com) schemes got into the official story. The Mega-crawler was probably the most fun, we organised a fluff-hand-off of this huge machine as it trundled around the map, moving from region to region!

Good times!

I really liked the narrative style - so much in fact that I nicked the format wholesale and ran a fantasy campaign for Flame On (called Sartosa: City of Pirates) in the autumn, using the same system! We are returning to Sartosa in March as a warm-up for the Nemesis Crown!

Lyinar
09-02-2007, 14:47
As my Black Templars mostly fought against my best friend's Ultramarines, neither of us had any real impact on the campaign.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a job in Atlanta and then I'll be able to actually participate at a Games Workshop store more than once during the entire campaign. It'll be great to actually get to fight more than two armies. :p

scrubout
09-02-2007, 15:39
Battlegroup Imperators Aegis brought back a Saint from the dead! Those that were dedicated enough, I didn't even play many games (I can count them all on my right hand, but I still had an influential hand), in the warseer Imperial Guard group managed to write narrative after impactiful narrative. We made our largest splashes in the UK and US zone with our writings.

What GW has learned from this game? It brings people in communities like WARSEER (yes, I said Warseer) closer together...they have eyes here, believe it or not. :eek:

And they are quite happy with what that does with their players and for campaigns. They also realized why they don't need their own forums as much anymore, our moderation team and environment is as safe, if not safer, than the now deceased (RIP) GW forums.

I HATED your character Kurlin, Inquisitors get all up my bum and annoying, their too pompous for Lieutenant Colonel Wolke Strife, Commander of the 317th/XXIII Grenadiers. It's hard not to find Inquisitors annoying when your supreme commander is Colonel Jacka though, an abhuman lovin' hell of a commander, and his second in command General Hooter Hunter that abounds with comic hijinx.

I've told Getz this once already. Campaigns like this, no matter how far that bloke is away from me, I will always remember him as a comrade in arms.

Plot advancement is a mute point, and I think people need to get back to their roots. A campaign is mean't for fun! The Imperial Guard did well because of our organized writing, and we had a heck of time dealing with whoever was running the Tau efforts in the US (Very organized backed by more games)! Let me tell ya, dodging the Deathstrike Missile launch that obliterated Airbase 6 was frustrating, the Tau evac'd before the missiles hit. It was still fun writing a fluid story with other people that were impeding my own efforts, constantly ebbing and flowing.

Granted, GW can always do some things to make a campaign run more smoothly, be more fun, etc...but as I always say, there is always room for improvement in everything we do.

[/rant]

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

WarbossKurgan
09-02-2007, 16:01
Plot advancement is a mute point, and I think people need to get back to their roots. A campaign is mean't for fun!
Completely agree with this!

Let me tell ya, dodging the Deathstrike Missile launch that obliterated Airbase 6 was frustrating, the Tau evac'd before the missiles hit. It was still fun writing a fluid story with other people that were impeding my own efforts, constantly ebbing and flowing.
I seem to remember you chaps taking a pop at our Mega Krawler along the way as well. :D

scrubout
09-02-2007, 16:56
Ya, I always knew where that thing was ahead of time because I signed up for your weekly email update. :angel: Call it intel.

We couldn't destroy it though, that would be no fun for your guys, but it was fun writing about large tracks that were left behind.

The Orks put on a good show too, hats off.

-peace out

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 18:17
[[[ Well, having been in the Tau sector for Eye of Terror, it was definitely different to not be isolated in some little corner, yet we did find not all went as well as we had hoped, some of the static effect of the maps made me think of Storm of Chaos(Play Beastmen), and that we had to change targets for the Hammer to hit Ice Station Alpha as it was closing anyway, Geryon Base was original target(For obvious reasons), but GW said let it stay in play, and take this place out instead as we will not mind it being smashed! And then Kurlin placed PoW's in the target zone, Hmmmmmm, 1million bars of Gold pressed Luminium are now offered for Kurlin's head!! ;)

We will get you next campaign Inquisitor Kurlin!! (Said in Dr.Klaw voice)!

Now, you Tau guys did brilliantly. I loved the Hammer angle and the way GW embraced it (like I mention above) was really a perfect example of how these things can go. Bravo to the lot of you. Kurlin may have hideously tortured and slaughtered his Tau captives, but I genuinely salute you. Job well done!

Posts like this renew my faith in wargaming. I love the narrative stuff, I always try to have a story ready for every game I play, and the best gaming sessions I've had are where we extrapolate from one game and improvise some special scenarios to play out what happens next. Sometimes I get alarmed at the growing number of people who, when they hear this, look at me blankly and ask "but how does that help you get ready for tournaments?", but then I read something like this and get motivated all over again. Thank you :)

You are quite welcome! But the thank you is best directed at GW and the organizers of the Medusa V campaign. I was just another participant. They built the briliant framework that let us do what we did. Hope you join us for the next one - in a way totally inoffensive to radical Inquisitors, of course....

my son wanted to get involved as he was too young to take part at the local shop, so we had a games at home, he loved posting his reports and getting merits/badges.
he has now read so many BL books his reading age is 3 years more advanced than his own, and he is painting his own figures :D
we are just waiting for this summers fantasy campaign now

all in all it worked for us

That's the thing I dig most - father and son, family activity et al. I'd worry about a young'n at some of the game clubs I've been to, and not strictly 40K for that matter - a lot of little guys who have a real love for the game get pushed around by the bigger losers. It rocks you guys had fun with this and that he's expanding creatively. Rock the house :D

Angel of the Black Parade
09-02-2007, 18:51
yeah it was quite something, even though I think it was never going any other way than Imperium before the campaign started....

Slightly off topic, but whats the next one called?

Shadowseer Crofty
09-02-2007, 19:06
The campaign was ok for me, the only problem being the lack of a regular game. without the forum, the campaign wouldnt have existed for me, so the forum was what made the campaign good, reading peoples battle reports and plans on the council of Eldanesh thread (Hi to Sabbad and Revamp, and any others from the council round here)

Lord_Magellan
09-02-2007, 21:45
yeah it was quite something, even though I think it was never going any other way than Imperium before the campaign started....

Slightly off topic, but whats the next one called?

I don't recall M-5 being divided into us versus them, as opposed to everyone out for themselves with a definable mission goal. I think the space marines and chaos marines were pitted head to head, but as far as I could tell, it was otherwise a sole case of, "did you win enough to hit the mark?"

It's unlikely they've started anything for the next 40K WWC just yet; they're steaming along towards Fantasy this year. we'll have our dark day in the sun again...

The campaign was ok for me, the only problem being the lack of a regular game. without the forum, the campaign wouldnt have existed for me, so the forum was what made the campaign good, reading peoples battle reports and plans on the council of Eldanesh thread (Hi to Sabbad and Revamp, and any others from the council round here)

Indeed, I'd love to know where some of the people I was rapping with most got off to...

MrGarm13
10-02-2007, 04:46
I saw those Inquistitor Kurlin threads on GW. I didn't really get interested in it. I got interested in the Citizen Army though. I don't know what happened to those brave people.

I wonder if they're going to have a 40K campaign this year. If they do, we should probably get organizing. The first days were hectic but it was pretty fun once we got rolling.

I also signed up in the wrong place. I had went to the UK website. Whoops.

But it was all in good fun.

Lord_Magellan
10-02-2007, 22:01
I saw those Inquistitor Kurlin threads on GW. I didn't really get interested in it. I got interested in the Citizen Army though. I don't know what happened to those brave people.

I wonder if they're going to have a 40K campaign this year. If they do, we should probably get organizing. The first days were hectic but it was pretty fun once we got rolling.

I also signed up in the wrong place. I had went to the UK website. Whoops.

But it was all in good fun.

I remember the Citizen's Army. I was getting ready to send some of my fellow Inquisitors after them. I think they were the ones making deals with filthy Xenoscum...

Apparently the worldwide campaign runs every other year. This year Fantasy is getting its campaign at the same time we had ours last year, and a year after that (2008) we'll be up to bat again. That's my understanding of it, anyway. A year ago they were already pumping Medusa V...

WarbossKurgan
12-02-2007, 15:41
Its not quite every other year, there are gaps with no Global Campaigns occationally! (IIRC 2005 had a couple of local ones (War of the Ring and Lustia) but not a proper global campaign...)

This year is Fantasy (The Nemesis Crown) but that doesn't guarantee a 40k campaign next year I'm afraid...

Ya, I always knew where that thing was ahead of time because I signed up for your weekly email update. :angel: Call it intel.
We figured that any talk about it by other factions was good publicity for us, so it was never a secret.

We couldn't destroy it though, that would be no fun for your guys, but it was fun writing about large tracks that were left behind.

The Orks put on a good show too, hats off.

-peace out
:D You sir, are a gent!

Lord_Magellan
13-02-2007, 04:16
We'll get you next time, Greenskins! You will not escape imperial wrath! :D

Shasolenzabi
13-02-2007, 08:48
Now, you Tau guys did brilliantly. I loved the Hammer angle and the way GW embraced it (like I mention above) was really a perfect example of how these things can go. Bravo to the lot of you. Kurlin may have hideously tortured and slaughtered his Tau captives, but I genuinely salute you. Job well done!

[[[ On behalf of the Tau Collective, Thanks!:D

and we had a heck of time dealing with whoever was running the Tau efforts in the US (Very organized backed by more games)! Let me tell ya, dodging the Deathstrike Missile launch that obliterated Airbase 6 was frustrating, the Tau evac'd before the missiles hit.

[[[ Again, I will say thanks for the Kudos on behalf of the Collective Tau Command, I was proud to be a part of it along with quite a few other commanders! Xibo, Calmsword, Mech Tau, and, Scoutfox, as well as so many who haunt ATT, and TO, we really pushed to find what we could do since we were so outnumbered by all the Imperials, I still say, I feel the IG deserved so much more credit than they got!

I remember the Citizen's Army. I was getting ready to send some of my fellow Inquisitors after them. I think they were the ones making deals with filthy Xenoscum...

[[[ I am quite happy to report that they, along with a lot of civilians who were screened for any health issues have been evacuated as well as taken to places in our Empire for a safer life!;)

[[[ Sadly, even though we managed to get our goals accomplished, and then some things totally unexpected, we did see the prize was badly tarnished, and we have dropped all desire for this warp the Imperials are wanting.

we did like the way the IG tried to make things go in Imperial favor, and the way the responses of Kurlin and his ilk as they seethed at every Tau success and accomplishment! M-5 did sort of run like the Taros campaign in that we did manage to hit and run, sting and even obliterate things! We also managed to make the weekend at Chicago work well by supporting fluff at the Hive Sybilla Primus and eliminating the Harakoni Warhawks, as well as breach the Hive's defenses! Airfield 6 was also a coup, and we were prepared for retaliation, so we fought hard, cross referrenced each other in our reports to make mutual support a keystone to our fluff and battles. so, yes, we had evac'd well ahead of time, and ran for the launch areas at the spine in Hydra, whilst forces like mine harrassed the Landtrain and then the attackers at the base of the spine!:D I felt like a Tau Patton, or Rommel the way my Mechanized forces would strike the slower Impies, and then the others also made sure that they planted their victories, along with our supportive fluff and Calmsword collected them and sent them all to GW.

Can't wait for the Next campaign!, Looking forwards to the rivalries to erupt as they are good natured, and in the spirit of each race in the game.

Lord_Magellan
13-02-2007, 10:02
You know, that's one of the things that was really a pleasant surprise - the spirit of cooperation and good will that underlaid the bitter in character rivalries and drama. I'd never have believed it - I'd long hoped to find a campaign that could be large scale with a bunch of gamers who were on the same page about good sportsmanship and good storytelling, but you know how many stereotypical gamers and powergamers can be; it was a pipe dream at beast. Then, poof. Along comes Medusa V, where for two or three months, a bunch of complete strangers hit an almost mythical level of synnergy and collectively spin a scifi war epic that played out gorgeously. I loved it. The tension, the drama, the characters, the key battles...there wasn't one flame war, not one argument, nothing. Just a ton of people plugging into one hell of a good time. It became a high point of my day to check in with the forums, morning noon and night (like an inquisitor obsessed) to see the big picture as it developed literally from hour to hour. Kurlin's high profile was a guilty pleasure, but I took the most satisfaction from seeing events like the Hammer, or the Citizen's Army banding together, or mass quantities of Imperial Guard players joining forces.
I just found out I can still log into the Medusa V site and revist the dispatches, my battle reports, the whole nine yards. A pity the forums weren't kept up, but the memory remains, and there's enough trophy room feeling with the rest of it to keep it enjoyable even after all this time. :)
I think the best thing about Medusa V was also the fact that it was temporary. I doubt any of us could have kept up the quality of storytelling and interaction we had going much longer than we did. The friction and drama would need to come to a head after all that buildup. The campaign ended before it could get old and stale, before players started leaving for greener pastures or just dropped off the scene. It ran its course and ended on a high note, which in retrospect is one of its greatest strengths.
Of course, if you're like me, you kept going with post-Medusa V narratives... and our stories continue on. :)

Shasolenzabi
13-02-2007, 11:58
[[[ Yeah, it was great how each faction could fuel the others by their actions. GW seemed to say at the end that they did not observe such organization on the part of the Necron, or the Nid players, the one thing I will advise the players to do next time: Do NOT post battles all over the place randomly! that made GW feel that you were not organized enough to make enough difference. In these campaigns, it is every faction for oneself, not every player for themselves. In the end, GW severely punished those two factions immensely. They did also like the Dark Eldar civil war that erupted as well! Nice work on that one DE players, it affected the DE outcome a LOT!

Chaos worked hard, but It seemed to not stem the tide of Marine and IG fluff agaisnt them, as well as the Eldar fluff that hit them constantly, they did manage the placement of the towers though, and Hell's Crucible went down nicely! Not to worry Nid Players, the Deathleaper wil be around next campaign I think. And the Ork escape had me splitting my sides reading that one! Stealing a Retribution class Battleship! one can only imagine what Kustom jobs that will get!!!

Hmmmm, The Hammer seems to stick out the most, a most unusual maneuover for the Tau it was. BTW, we also worked out what size Asteroid would make an impact w/o destroying the continent!

Lord_Magellan
13-02-2007, 21:52
Well, it's definitely best to have a simple command structure when organizing a ton of players, something that allows information to flow quickly and not get stopped up on arguments or debates from X number of commanders who are busy trying to do something else. I think the player organizations that did the best were the ones that had simplified inner mechanisms, commandwise.

Shasolenzabi
13-02-2007, 22:09
[[[ True, The IG basically seemed to designate a command staff, and listened(Very Military like), the Space Marines did the same, There those of us who would discuss and agree, and then enact plans in the Tau camp. Then we would spread the word to the other commanders via boards(Provided we had access) and make mention as to what they could do to help. I think Chaos was also organized like this as you have many who got into the warband leader mentality. The Eldar had a council, and the DE were also co-operating, even when they went into civil war mode! ^^

The Orks, scarily enough were very well organized.

Necrons had a small few who were trying to organize and it looked like it was working, but there were I think, too small a group of them to prevent failure by GW's standards. and finally, the Nid faction seemed so fragmented, I went to nid players battle results, and it seemed that they were posting at one spot , the next day across the battle zone, another day a totally different spot, and GW looked at that and said, "Hmmm, seems the Hivemind has gone out to lunch, and the splinter and hive fleets are on instinctual mode!", Hence the last report of the Hive ships just hanging in space not moving as the warp-storm hit.

Lord_Magellan
13-02-2007, 23:46
I know the Tyranids were doing their best to organize. I think that might have overcomplicated things just as we mentioned and that may have hurt the overall impact of their attacks.
I've heard that Ork players are astoundingly well organized, and M-5 wasn't the first time they delivered on the Ork threat. These guys are going to be bad, bad news if that new Codex comes out!

Ivan Stupidor
14-02-2007, 01:03
I've heard that Ork players are astoundingly well organized, and M-5 wasn't the first time they delivered on the Ork threat. These guys are going to be bad, bad news if that new Codex comes out!

Aye, the Green Kroosade took most people by surprise during Eye of Terror, which is where most of the Ork strategists cut their teef. But that's the nature of Orks - give them a strong leader and they're almost unstoppable.

Personally, Medusa V was a bit of a disappointment simply because reality intruded in a big way on my grand plans to get my 40k game frequency up. I had set the lofty goal of playing enough games to have 3000 of my Guardsmen die on me, and I got some 300 killed in the first few days, then no games for the rest of the campaign. Ah well; I'll just have to try harder next time. I wonder if my Dwarfs can break the millennium mark in enemy casualties over the summer...

Icarus
14-02-2007, 09:07
Its good to know that people had a good time with the campaign and that the narrative aspect paid off. Personally I never got to take part because I went home for the summer and so couldn't play with my normal gaming group. No problem I thought, going to the local GW instead, but apparently that shop didn't want to bother with the worldwide GW campaign? :wtf:

Shasolenzabi
14-02-2007, 10:28
[[[ Yeah, the Orks really did shake things up in EoT by taking scarus sector, and Mardax(Mordakka) Prime.

Really? a GW store NOT particicpating in the GW world wide campaign???

WarbossKurgan
14-02-2007, 10:54
I really enjoyed the Radio Free Medusa thread (until it got wasted anyway :p )!
I was great fun reading the snippets of other factions activities before they got into the official news!

The Orks' main goal was to tell a coherent story that got us noticed - we knew we were a minority so we really tried to all pull in the same direction, just so we could have some effect! It worked pretty well too! ;)

Icarus
14-02-2007, 16:21
Really? a GW store NOT particicpating in the GW world wide campaign???

Well, I think they were technically involved, in that they had a small board with some cityfight terrain (like a 2x4) and a couple of posters up. However I turned up with my army all keen to defend the planet for the Imperium and was received with a "Oh that thing" attitude. No-one had a campaign code to register their games so in the end I gave up and played Fantasy all summer. Bit sad really.

MrGarm13
15-02-2007, 02:44
Well, if there's not Global Campaign this summer, I'll get small group campaign around here rolling.

I was at the Games Day Chicago. The Tau won by 3 models. So close, I think the huge Pie plate that the Tau dropped on the Imperials was the big problem. (Thing was probably 2 feet across.)

InquisitorNiels
15-02-2007, 04:22
I was not really playing 40k, or any GW games when this happened so if anyone could please tell me hwo GW ran this campain, and the basic story line I would be more then happy! How did it start, what where the objectives, what were some of the best moments, and how did it end for each side?

I think they should keep doing campians like this on a smaller scale, the EoT was just to large (not like too many players, like to much of an impact) so no matter who won the fluff would hardly move foward. On a small planet, or even system/sector that is unimportant then they allow the gamers to truely change the face of the hobby. Yea we might not be stopping the 13th black crusaid, however when a perticular character, or events that really happened are forever part of the fluff that really makes the player feel like they had an impact.

Lord_Magellan
15-02-2007, 06:31
Hey Niels, check out this link:

http://medusav.us.games-workshop.com/

All the surviving Medusa V info is there, except the Forums. :)

Kiro
15-02-2007, 07:02
Wow, it sounds like you guys had such a blast, I'm jealous!
I never took part in the game because my interest in the hobby had ebbed to the point of non-existence, but it's back now though ;). My Hunter Cadre participated in EoT, so I suppose it was their turn to patrol the borders of the Empire while you lot were winning the glory :p

Curious, isn't there a pdf flying around that has chapter approved units for/from the campaign? :confused:

Lord_Magellan
15-02-2007, 18:25
We used stock lists for the most part. There was no chapter approved that I knew of. Everything came straight from us based on the framework of existing codex and the online framework.
There was talk on the home page (the interview with Jervis Johnson) about a Medusa V fluff book though...

Kiro
15-02-2007, 19:15
Nevermind, found it! :D

Lord_Magellan
15-02-2007, 22:41
Use your power wisely!

Shasolenzabi
16-02-2007, 09:16
[[[ Well, my Rebellious, yet Emperor Loving Khadrovians are likely to be in a homebrewed campaign for our local group, one or two cities wish the Imperium to still be in charge, the rest are mostly looking to join the Konfederation as it is a growing power, and a trade partner with the Tau of my sept!

This Summer, a rebellion will either be squashed, or ignite a sector!

Lord_Magellan
16-02-2007, 19:57
Oh, let the sector ignite, you big bully. ;P

Shasolenzabi
18-02-2007, 09:14
[[[ Oh it will ignite! all the "Loyalists" are chomping at the bit to put it to the Khadrovian Rebels! so far, I have either won, or gotten out live from most of my battles, and lost maybe 2, they forego the mission in favor of wiping out the Khadrovian upstarts, and want to silence the Khadrovian Propaganda broadcasts that seem to flood the vox-networks of even Loyal forces of the Imperium! ;P

I am working on ideas as to battle sites, and other fun things for my group, and maybe even some nasty BFG battles between the Imperial Navy and the Khadrovian Deep-Space Fleet.

This sunday, merely hours away, I must place around 5,000pts on the table against two Loyalist commanders, one with a standard Guard foece, and the Panzers of the Germanian Army, who have not been able to put a halt on the Khadrovian Iron Guard as yet! I either blow his tanks to hell, or he just can't kill me enough to wipe out the Khaddies!! :))

P.S. BTW Lord_Magellan, where do you call the seventh ring of Hell? (On earth I mean?)

Lord_Magellan
19-02-2007, 01:47
I call it Phoenix, Arizona, where we had two cold days this whole winter, where every other day his been in the 70's, where every summer gets up to 115-125 degrees on average. Praise the Emperor.

MrGarm13
19-02-2007, 03:35
If thats the 7th circle, I must be at the very bottom. Because everything is frozen up here in Illinois.

Lord_Magellan
19-02-2007, 06:09
Phoenix was cut off from the rest of the imperium by a warp storm.

Oh, wait. That was Medusa V.

Damn warp storms. DAMN THEM.

I still like hitting the Medusa V website and reminiscing. That means you had a good time, when you can do that. :)

IncubiLord
19-02-2007, 07:59
So the Eldar went to war alone, although, even with the broken 3rd ed. Codex we still managed 3rd place overall.
You had the other Eldar on your side (mostly) with their broken 3ed codex as well. ;)

They did also like the Dark Eldar civil war that erupted as well! Nice work on that one DE players, it affected the DE outcome a LOT!
Well, not being in close enough contact with GW to know their likes and dislikes, I'll have to take your word on that part of it, but I should hope it affected the outcome significantly.

We pretty much spent the last half the campaign plotting the overthrow of our campaign leader. That's terribly in-character and was a gutsy move since we had no idea how well-recieved it would be amongst the GW staff.

A big thanks to the guys running the show for allowing us to try it and setting reasonable criteria for us to meet on that one - the DE don't have a ton of players either.

the DE were also co-operating, even when they went into civil war mode! ^^
It was a little disturbing how completely civilized we were - almost like civil war is the norm for our people and nothing to get upset about.

Oh, wait... :evilgrin:

Perhaps the most amusing side-note from that would be the supporter for No'akei over on 40K Online. After Medusa ended, he asked what became of her supporters, if they'd get a silly custom title or what. It was seized upon, and he still has a custom title of "I supported No'akei and all I got was this silly title" to this very day.

Hmmmm, The Hammer seems to stick out the most, a most unusual maneuover for the Tau it was. BTW, we also worked out what size Asteroid would make an impact w/o destroying the continent!
The Hammer sticks out for a couple of reasons.
First, it was the biggest thing allowed to happen.
That makes it noteworthy.

Second, it managed to irk everybody.
The amount of attention it got because of this made it a big event - though it was largely ignored afterwards and pretty much treated like it didn't happen. (The after-effects of levelling a mountain range never seemed to happen. It's good to be living in a science fantasy world where aparently the Warp storms ate up all the mess from this event.)

Third, it was handled poorly.
Whether you blame GW or the Tau players, or simply accept the it as part of the learning experience, the events leading up to "Hammerfall" didn't get nearly the publicity they should have.

In particular, the inital "Tau fleet moves to giant space-rock and starts building onto it with all sorts of stuff" events shouldn't have only happened in a dark corner of one Tau BatRep or wherever it was mentioned - if it was mentioned at all.

Also, the reaction would have been a little less extreme if they'd gone with something along the lines of shearing off one side of a couple mountains, effectively destroying the locale without the massive-damage imagery that equated to an extinction-level event.

Next campaign, expect Operation Rotary Tool - everybody who remembers that the Tau don't like to actually fight on a planet and prefer to destroy large chunks of it gangs up on the Tau to teach them a lesson.

Oh, and when did you guys finally come up with a convincing explanation of how your rock would do the stated amount of damage (levelling a mountain range and leaving a massive crater filled with lava) without destroying the continent? There were only unimpressive napkin-numbers during the campaign, at least when I looked into it.

I've decided to blame Chaos for the temporary disappearance of the physical laws of the universe - it's the most plausible answer for the inconsistant results. Since there was no aftermath :wtf: to screw the rest of the campaign, I stopped caring much about the how of it.

Criticism of the handling of the Hammer aside, the campaign was great fun. The ending was quite lame, though - they stressed for the entire campaign that most goals weren't mutually exclusive and then had to start the last page with "TEH IMPIES WIN!!!1" Yeah, that really helps the emphasis on NOT having one faction win. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed my role with the Dark Eldar quite a bit, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Heck, I enjoyed it enough to try my hand at their side of things. We'll see if the campaign I'm in on goes well soon enough.

Shasolenzabi
19-02-2007, 09:28
[[[ As far as i know, the math and other numbers were sent to GW by guys at Tau Online, and we were told that Tsunamis were hitting Perseus, and earth quakes happened in reports by the IG, one of the newsletters made mention of this event after it was first leaked to GW. We did apologize for the lack of good publicity, and it did inspire the IG to prepare a military response, as well as Lord Magellan making posts of Kurlin planting Tau PoW's at the Hammerfall site. and some of the posts we ghad were reported in the threads Calmsword was using to collect the combined fluff of the Tau so it was not secret enough to make it like some dark plot.

Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, GW decided that Geryon Base was to NOT be the Hammer's Target, GW decided that since Ice Station Alpha was closing down anyway, it was a logical target over Geryon Base.

In the ending for the DE they mention the utter defeat of No' akei when she got back to Commoragh, and they did it in such a way that it was GW's tip of th hat for your civil war Incubilord, Just as surely as the end for the Tyranids was they slap for NOT being organized, and the players posting their batreps all over their sectors, rather than multiple Nid attacks at a same location.

This campaign seemed to be Massive number of SM/IG players versus smaller amounts of everyone else! Necrons seemed to be in less numbers than the DE! Though the Necrons did manage to make some headway in some sectors and do damage for their small numbers greater than their oponents, they still got slagged.

After the Hammer fall, the dust clouds should have made it all nightfight rules for a week until the dust settled. We specifically chose to NOT send a planet killer, just something that would get rid of a single target. The intent was not to anger anyone, just spice things up a bit,,,,the whole thing could just as easily been fabricated by GW if they felt like it.

Master Jeridian
19-02-2007, 12:13
I did try to get into Medusa V but for some reason I quickly lost enthusiasm.

It was more personal than EoT, but it just wasn't personal enough for me.
It didn't matter if I won my games, if a bunch of players on an internet forum bandied together they'd just bludgeon with weight of numbers, only instead of weight of tourney wins, it's weight of fluff posts.

Not GW fault of course, campaigns on the 'personal' level I like are for gaming groups of 10 or so, run by a Games Master.

I also had the problem Icarus did, I'd wonder in and ask for a Campaign ID and most people where like :wtf:

But then I was as much to blame for my apathy, as there where major leaders of the M5 campaign sitting in store such as Warboss Kurgan and Blessed Knight.

The cynic in me refuses to take fun out of a company funded marketing scheme- even when it is done well.

Snakebite
19-02-2007, 14:32
I loved the campaign.

My army of Space Marines, the Emperor's Disciples were on Medusa V looking for the buried remains of their original Chapter Master. Every scenario I played directed the outcome of the campaign - for me, at least. I didn't play as many games as I'd have liked, but my Marines found the entombed Master and recovered his remains to their Battle Barge. Recons, raids and rearguards were the order of the day, against many varied opponents - unusual in itself since you used to be unable to go anywhere around here without bumping into a Marines player! One pay day later, and the Disciples had fashioned a Venerable Dreadnought Sarcophagus for him. He doesn't march with them for every battle but if I play a big game, he'll be there.

I did have a couple of problems with the campaign, though. I have Internet access but I found it pretty hard to keep up with how the "official" campaign was turning out. It was difficult to keep track of how the Marines were doing as a whole, and the Events system wasn't the easiest to puzzle out but as I've said, that doesn't really matter because my Marines were there for their own purposes.

As for the Campaign ID, I also had the problem that nobody else was signed up. It would have been nicer to have some "confirmed" results but I suppose that's just the way it goes.

Lord_Magellan
19-02-2007, 22:53
I thought the hammer was handled very well, personally. it's reasonable that the Tau pulled it off as secret as possible, and having it blare across forum and dispatch alike "the Tau are secretly working to send an asteroid to Medusa V" would have been more disruptive than helpful. It was a solid, dramatic event and I had fun with both it and the aftermath.

As for the scenario rules of night fighting for a week, it was reasonable that they didn't force that into the campaign. My brother passionately hates night fighting and if he learned he had to night fight no matter what he'd have dumped the campaign on the spot, and he probably wouldn't have been the only one. They were good about letting us come up with our own scenarios and special case rules, which only enhanced the epic scale of what happened, when we compared notes fluff wise on the forums.

I would still congrat the Tau for pulling it off. How tragic, however, that so many of their captured people were at ground zero. And irradiated beforehand so rescue missions would lead to imperial ambush of fleeing convoys. :D

Really, we can't let ourselves get too scientific here. We can't study the realistic impact/behavior of a planet smashing asteroid of any size while we willfully suspend belief over psykers, tyranids, broadside suits, the denizens of the warp, plasma pistols, nineteen special organs for superhuman space marines...I took it as fantasy and opera and I loved it. :)

MrGarm13
20-02-2007, 03:55
I'm still wondering how they managed to fit such an epic thing in. Because with the massive ammount of armies on the ground, there must have been thousands upon thousands of warships, transports going to and from the surface, bioships, what have you, floating above.

You'd think some captains would think "Why, theres an asteroid with (I don't know what the Tau used to control it) heading straight for Medusa 5!"

Battle Fleet Gothic players care to explain how it happened? (Did Battle Fleet Gothic have a role in this campaign?)

Lord_Magellan
20-02-2007, 04:01
Everything in 40K played a role in it. Kill teams, home campaigns, battlefleet gothic, Inquisitor, everything factored in. You could do Medusa V from *any* 40K themed game and it had facilities to report the situation accordingly. Battlefleet Gothic was under represented, I think, but it would be gorgeous to see a remake of that game in time for the next WW chronicle. I'd love to see full on warfare throughout an entire sector, space and planetside, from the perspective of individuals to entire armies, played out worldwide. That would give anyone pause.

==Me==
20-02-2007, 04:21
I enjoyed Medusa V thoroughly. I intended to fight more, but I usually just fought ==My== brother's Tyranids. So ==My== story ended up being the Angels of the Lion landing in Sybilla Primus following orders from Unforgiven command (locate fallen, yadda, yadda). However, they showed up inside a Tyranid-infested part of the hive and had to fight off the infestation before pursuing their goals. It helped ==Me== develop both ==My== Captain (Master Tintagel) and Chaplain (Interrogator Mortis) as full-fledged characters as opposed to just names attached to wargear lists.

I loved the story aspect and how it was incorporated into the campaign itself.

AlphaLegion
20-02-2007, 04:24
the only thing from Medusa V I know is pwning some kid that was in it. he was eye of terror I was my friend nurgle army.

Snakebite
20-02-2007, 08:44
I'm still wondering how they managed to fit such an epic thing in. Because with the massive ammount of armies on the ground, there must have been thousands upon thousands of warships, transports going to and from the surface, bioships, what have you, floating above.

You'd think some captains would think "Why, theres an asteroid with (I don't know what the Tau used to control it) heading straight for Medusa 5!"

Now that I missed completely! I must have been really busy fighting heretics that day to have missed an asteroid colliding with the planet...

IncubiLord
20-02-2007, 19:17
Indeed.

My DE fleet that was just hanging about keeping an eye on things in space (I don't play BFG because nobody around me does) seems to have gone out for coffee for the entire, what was it, 3 weeks of prepping the giant asteroid and sending it hurtling towards the planet.

Or maybe they just used their mimc shields to fly right up to it and said, "Tee hee, this giant rock is gonna smash the crap out of something. Let's not tell anybody, I don't feel like making slaves of these distracted, easy targets."

Meh, the ridiculousness of it is over now. Like I said, file it away under "Workings of Chaos" because it's too late to fix that SNAFU now. Of cousrse, this means that the only explanation for the Tau pulling off their biggest event is that they're puppets of the Dark Gods, but that's not my problem.

As for getting too scientific:
If you want to blame the Warp (aka write it off as magic), that's fine. Otherwise, I expect reasonably grounded writing that adheres to the presumed realism of science fiction.

Since the Tau don't want to be Chaos-minions, I expect sci-fi explanations, not mystical coincidences and boons of the gods.

Lord_Magellan
21-02-2007, 01:25
Bah. Humbuggery.

The next WW campaign will rock if it follows Medusa V's pattern. That's what Im looking for to.

Shasolenzabi
21-02-2007, 09:14
[[[ Well, there were no mystical anything involved with the Hammer, we found a suitable sized rock, just the right size parameters, our Fio's did the math, mostly on target BTW, or else the planet would have been exterminated..

we built bands around it to fortify it(Gotta love how drones can work w/o sleep!) placed a guidance systemas well as stealth system onto the thing, got it flying, and had it "ghost" into position until it was visible, by then, it was too close, and then the engines got fired again to help it finish it's moves.

Now while all this was being done in space, the Impies that were meta-gaming, by attacking supposedly secret research stations, Our ground forces helped attack a ahive, attacked and secured Airbase 6 on the outskirts of Geryon Base, we erected guidance towers to help the Hammer home in on to the Target, and this was all a bunch of seemingly pointless, and ignored attacks that were a method to the tau plan.

So, basically, the tau made a bunch of raids/attacks/hit-and-run moves that no one saw as anything but the Tau trying to sting the Big-bad Imperium, and recreate the success on Taros, now T' ros! But the Impies kept attacking the arrays at the spine and other locations.

THAT was how the Tau managed it. (In Golum's voice:We was sneakin'!)
Sometimes, doing things in plain sight works very nicely.
Next campaign, We just may have to work out something completely different!

Lord_Magellan
21-02-2007, 17:18
It was cleverly done, Tau. In the next campaign, I may have to make exterminating your race a personal hobby. :)

"Remember Medusa! Remember Ice Station Alpha!"

IncubiLord
21-02-2007, 18:46
[[[ Well, there were no mystical anything involved with the Hammer
Except for the Changer of Ways somehow cloaking this:

we built bands around it to fortify it(Gotta love how drones can work w/o sleep!) placed a guidance systemas well as stealth system onto the thing
...massive construction effort from the notice of any other species.

You can't explain away how that went unnoticed, and the argument hasn't changed since the day the Hammer was sprung on players who should have had an idea that such construction was going on weeks ago. Planet-side events don't blind entire fleets.

That bit where the dust clouds were absorbed into the Warp could just be blamed on the storms' close proximity, though.

As I said, it wasn't handled well.
We should leave it at that and not launch into another round of the same argument.

Lord_Magellan
21-02-2007, 23:37
Well, the interesting thing is that it had no effect on anyone's score or placement at all (the Tau did their games and were over and finished with them long before the hammer hit), or any outcome of the game, save for being a dramatic event. I had no idea there was a debate to begin with. Ice Station Alpha was done with by that time (they ran part of it down at the GW in Phoenix but I wasn't able to attend as planned) so it really was a question of absolutely no harm done. I'm stunned that there was an outcry for it at all.

IncubiLord
22-02-2007, 00:56
I had no idea there was a debate to begin with.
You must not have logged into the official forums that week, then. The Hammer pretty much drowned out anything else - it was quite annoying if you actually wanted to do anything.

it really was a question of absolutely no harm done. I'm stunned that there was an outcry for it at all.
This was before we found out that a meteor large enough to level mountains would magically have no after-effects. A good few players declared the Hammer to be entirely fictitious propaganda - after all, they were still there enjoying a sunny day.

Pretty much every race out there may well have gone after the Tau or at least dedicated their games against the Tau to the task of stopping the preparations of the ELE rock if it had gotten proper attention.

The Tau would have had next to no chance of pulling off their plan if the preparations had been even strongly hinted at - unless they'd actually gotten the support of other Xenos (and/or Chaos).

Add to this that last week, where many gamers went "hey, this is unfair, we don't have a reasonable chance of stopping this" and the response varied between "Tough" and "All you have to do is blow up one rock." A few players did just that - played a BFG game and blew up the rock - the response: "That's just one game, it doesn't count."

Even some of the Tau players protested this behavior, leaving the "greater good" in the face of such evil acts. I should know, I hired one such Tau Mercenary to support my own goals in exchange for transit off the dying world and a few supplies.

There were campaigners who quit reporting over the Hammer, too. They weren't willing to dismiss the after-effects of the impact and pointed out that everything was now dead (suffocated by the massive dust clouds) or other such reasons that the planet was now not being fought over if you kept any realism.

That's why the Hammer stands out for me.
It actually ruined the fun for some people without giving the opposition proper consideration. I don't really care who's to blame or how good the story was, what matters is that it was a terrible display and made people not want to play. It made the campaign worse, and that alone overshadows any praise it may deserve.

Lord_Magellan
22-02-2007, 03:32
Someone asked earlier into this thread to see my rebuilt Inquisitor. Here's Inquisitor Kurlin as he first came to Medusa V, and the rebuilt Cyber Inquisitor that left it. :)

MrGarm13
22-02-2007, 04:01
Oh well, Medusa 5 is in the past and we should listen to the lessons that it can teach us. Basically, GW will let a lot of things happen for strange reasons.

But now, if the Imperials will remember this in a few years, they might end up gunning for the Tau. But then again, we have no idea of what the next campaign will be.

IncubiLord
22-02-2007, 05:29
But then again, we have no idea of what the next campaign will be.
Does it matter?

We know that GW has pretty much decided that no campaign will have a serious impact ever again, so we can completely ignore the given plot. After all, it doesn't really matter if you complete your goal.

A world-wide slaughter-the-Tau party would just be fun. Heck, explaining away why everybody's not fighting each other to kill the Tau could be weeks of entertainment. ;)

Shasolenzabi
22-02-2007, 08:52
A world-wide slaughter-the-Tau party would just be fun. Heck, explaining away why everybody's not fighting each other to kill the Tau could be weeks of entertainment

[[[ Now, ALL the other factions, beating up on one faction,,,,ThAT would be both boring, and so one sided that I doubt even GW would allow it, After all, all the factions are out for themselves, especially in M-V. And even then, the temptation to stab each other in the back is too tempting for the others. "Oh, Faction X looks about done, Hmmm, while factions F,G,H, and J are busy,,,,,Dakk-dakka-dakka-dakka" would likely erupt.

Besides, GW may decide to lump certain armies into faction-blocks next time. Looking at the Bad blood between certain races, I can only imagine the Impies having been forced to fight alongside the Tau as well as the Eldar of the Craftworlds. EoT was originally Forces of Order, and Forces of Disorder.

Funniest part was that despite being listed as a Forces of Order army, the Tau were almost left alone bu the Dis-Order side, and attacked viciously by the Order side!!

Now, being ordered to play nicey with the Impies,,,How Shas' O Kal' Dath Or' es L' enz' abi would react? He HATES the Gue' La of the Imperium!

Lord_Magellan
22-02-2007, 16:45
I will attack any imperial force that allies with Xenos for heresy.

Totally! I will. I've done it before. :P

IncubiLord
22-02-2007, 17:29
...and just when we're about to put aside our differences to kill somebody, the Inquisition rears its ugly head, again.

Kurlin, you suck. :p

I'd rather not see forces of Order and Disorder again - that sort of lumping doesn't work at all.

CWE, Tau, and Impies are just as likely to fight each other as they are to fight Orks, and most the forces of Disorder don't fit together very well at all (yes, the DE want Chaos in their domain, really :rolleyes: ).

At most, I'd combine two factions at a time. Something like:
* All the Impies as one faction. Let's face it, they are.
* Chaos.
* Tyranids and Necrons handled as one faction - Spoilers who tend to be in different areas but also sometime ignore each other while attacking a common goal.
* Eldar and Tau - Let the Dying feel paternal for a change.
* Orks and DE - It's not so much that they belong together as it is that they might reach an understanding of sorts and they needed batched.

Anything more than that, and you get these convoluted relationships between the members of a faction that are just too far-fetched to buy into.

Kiro
22-02-2007, 17:40
Hmmm, I don't know about Orks and DE; if anything they're even more arrogant than their craftworld cousins, and I can't see them stomaching Orks for one minute. Dodgy subplots aside, Chaos and DE go well together because it's an alliance of mutual benefit...which will eventually destroy itself when one backstabs the other :evilgrin:

Lord_Magellan
22-02-2007, 17:55
...and just when we're about to put aside our differences to kill somebody, the Inquisition rears its ugly head, again.

Kurlin, you suck.

*Agent Smith voice* "I'm not so bad....once you get to know me."

:P

I'd like to see an Inquisition faction next time. Getting lumped into IMperial Guard or Space Marines was hurtful to my gaming pride. :P Besides, the Inquisition has reasons to fight *everyone* - we're a wild card and a half.

Icarus
22-02-2007, 18:43
If anyones going to be ganged up on, I think it should be the Imperium. Have the Inquisition, Space Marines and Imperial Guard against everyone else. Thats not to say that all the other races would be allied, they could have personal goals of their own, missions against each other to complete, but frame the whole thing within the context of the Imperium must hold the line against multiple enemies on all sides. Think it could be quite cool.

Snakebite
22-02-2007, 18:47
If anyones going to be ganged up on, I think it should be the Imperium. Have the Inquisition, Space Marines and Imperial Guard against everyone else. Thats not to say that all the other races would be allied, they could have personal goals of their own, missions against each other to complete, but frame the whole thing within the context of the Imperium must hold the line against multiple enemies on all sides. Think it could be quite cool.

Agreed.

After all, that's how the Imperium is every day of its existence!

Lord_Magellan
22-02-2007, 19:10
You hold the line.
I'll be purging the Imperial ranks of Heresy. :D

If there's no heresy to be purged, I'll turn my guns on outside threats. But a pact with xenos or heretical talk? Bam. Lock and load.

That's the way we Inquisitors are, every day of our existance... ;P

IncubiLord
22-02-2007, 19:14
Dodgy subplots aside, Chaos and DE go well together because it's an alliance of mutual benefit
No, they don't and it's not.

Dark Eldar hate Chaos as much as Eldar, and helping their real enemy (the Prince of Pleasures, the one who ********* their way of life, that god over there) is in no way beneficial to Dark Eldar.

Despite some idiotic BL plots by people who know nothing of Eldar of any type, Dark Eldar are less likely to ally with Chaos than the Imperium is. That's right, I said less likely.

Every attempt to lump the Dark Eldar in with Chaos will meet with the fanatical resistance you'd expect from Inquisitorial players, CWE players and Necron players thrown into the same situation: "WTF is this load of ****?"

Arhalien
22-02-2007, 19:24
Hmm, this all sounds intriguing. I;m relatively new (last March I got my first box) to the hobby and haven;t participated in any campaign before. How exactly are these things organised, if this doesn't take this thread too far off-topic.
I will be taking part in the fantasy one this year (and will probably be totally confused, having no diea how it will work), and I will probably participate in the next 40k one with my Eldar which should be finished by then.

Kiro
22-02-2007, 19:53
Dark Eldar hate Chaos as much as Eldar, and helping their real enemy (the Prince of Pleasures, the one who ********* their way of life, that god over there) is in no way beneficial to Dark Eldar

Errr, not all Chaos Space Marines/Traitors serve Slaanesh :eyebrows:
Besides the DE seem to have an agreement with Slaanesh about inflicting all that pain and suffering....
The kiddy of the Chaos Gods aside, CSM deal in one commodity the DE would want to get their hands on: Slaves. The Eldar are practical enough to let someone else do the grunt-work, throwing themselves at Imperial defenses and rounding up all those warm bodies for their Eldar 'buddies'. Also, IIRC, the Dark Eldar have no racial unity, so tarring them with the 'I (don't) like you' brush stops at the next Kabal.

Lord_Magellan
22-02-2007, 21:58
Hmm, this all sounds intriguing. I;m relatively new (last March I got my first box) to the hobby and haven;t participated in any campaign before. How exactly are these things organised, if this doesn't take this thread too far off-topic.
I will be taking part in the fantasy one this year (and will probably be totally confused, having no diea how it will work), and I will probably participate in the next 40k one with my Eldar which should be finished by then.

First, you register for the campaign and select an army to represent. You get a code that identifies you specifically in the campaign.
THen, you find other registered players who have codes and duke it out. It could encompass anything: Kill teams, Battlefleet Gothic, games of Inquisitor, 40K, Epic. Once the results were known, you made a battle report using their drop down menus on the official campaign site using your code and the enemy's code, giving a detailed battle report. Voila. The band marches on. :)

You could play against unregistered players, too. All you had to do was mention that the player was not registered for M-5. That way, everything you fought could still be counted, though the unregistered made for less points.

When you did a battle, you'd choose what the stipulations were (1500 point Cities of Death take and hold scenario, for example) and then report the results accordingly (crushing victory, for example). The big thing was, you'd choose what region of the campaign map you were active in. There were several territories to choose from. Hive cities, frozen wastes, desert tundras, ice stations. Plenty of battlefields.

The forums are where it really came to life. People posted narratives about their army's actions, made and broke alliances, celebrated commanders and condemned others, and generated tons and tons of player-created story plot, day to day, the entire time. Great fun. :)

IncubiLord
23-02-2007, 00:31
Errr, not all Chaos Space Marines/Traitors serve Slaanesh :eyebrows:
However, each global campaign lumps all Chaos forces together (despite the oddity of Tzeentch pulling them together every two years or so). Thus, Chaos includes the Great Enemy in any WWC.

Besides the DE seem to have an agreement with Slaanesh about inflicting all that pain and suffering....
Take a look at the Torturer's Tale on the UK site. The pain and suffering make you taste better, it's nothing to do with veneration of a diety.

What many fail to understand is that She Who Thirsts is patterned off the Dark Eldar. The DE are the remnants of the pre-Fall cults whose actions created Her. Of course their behavior looks similar - She is their behavior given form.

CSM deal in one commodity the DE would want to get their hands on: Slaves. The Eldar are practical enough to let someone else do the grunt-work, throwing themselves at Imperial defenses and rounding up all those warm bodies for their Eldar 'buddies'.
And, even more practically, the Dark Eldar would poison or ambush their returning "allies," gaining more slaves or destroying potential enemies.

On the off chance that GW has the Chaos gods not getting along like frat-brothers, you might manage a loose alliance of sorts between the DE and one of the other three - but that's highly unlikely.

Also, IIRC, the Dark Eldar have no racial unity, so tarring them with the 'I (don't) like you' brush stops at the next Kabal.
Except for a few key points.

The Thirst and the hatred for the Great enemy are racial traits common to all Dark Eldar. I don't care what Kabal you're from, this is an ingrained part of the people since before the Emperor went gathering his Primarchs.

Any DE who dies and isn't consumed by his peers ends up as a plaything for She Who Thirsts for eternity - and Eldar have enough awareness after death that they actually suffer, unlike the mon-keigh. The odds of them drawing daemons closer to them in times where they may die are not good.

Dark Eldar as players have faced a constant, mindless attempt to turn them into Chaos Eldar. The players themselves don't want to be the pawns of uncaring gods and aren't going to go along with being Chaos Eldar. This unrelenting insult has led many of the DE players to the point where they would fight with Chaos just to make a point of not being Chaos.

Saying DE don't like Chaos is like saying Space Marines are genetically modified. You might meet somebody, somewhere who says his are different, but it's got no grounding in the race's background.

Kiro
23-02-2007, 08:45
Take a look at the Torturer's Tale on the UK site. The pain and suffering make you taste better, it's nothing to do with veneration of a diety.

No, no, I wasn't referring to veneration. I can't remember where I read it from, maybe the DE codex, but there's a strong implication that all the pain and suffering the DE inflict are used to 'distract' Slaanesh, or appease her with sacrifices, like the Hebrews and their Scapegoat. Made a post on a thread about DE and this seems to be the consensus.

And, even more practically, the Dark Eldar would poison or ambush their returning "allies," gaining more slaves or destroying potential enemies.

Exactly!

Two other things I'd like to say:

You should hop on over to my thread 'on death, the soul, and the warp'. You've got a few insightful points ;)

Are you opposed to the idea of a Chaos cult alliance? I mean, do you not agree with the four powers being lumped together? :confused:

Arhalien
23-02-2007, 12:02
Thanks lord-Magellan. I'm now very exciteda bout this summers fantasy campaign just so I can experience this for myself, it sounds great :D

I won;t infringe on this discussion (none of which I understand :)) anymore.

Arhalien gone... somewhere

IncubiLord
23-02-2007, 17:47
No, no, I wasn't referring to veneration. I can't remember where I read it from, maybe the DE codex, but there's a strong implication that all the pain and suffering the DE inflict are used to 'distract' Slaanesh, or appease her with sacrifices, like the Hebrews and their Scapegoat. Made a post on a thread about DE and this seems to be the consensus.
Well, if that's the impression you got, I'm sorry.

The torture is all about getting the most from consuming the souls.

Some people's interpretation of the Thirst, however, is more direct than others'. Depending on who you ask, the soul is either "pumped down the line" to keep the drain on their own energy from happening for a while or the soul is added to their own personal energy to both gain power and counteract the drain of the Thirst.

Since our fluff has the DE physically recovering after consuming souls, fighting particularly hard over the souls of their own dead leaders, and living beyond an Eldar life-span so long as they feed, the latter is the most likely explanation. You had the misfortune of seeing the former.

Exactly!
Ah, but we betrayed Chaos at the end of Eye of Terror, and there's only so many times you can "ally" with a group and kill your "allies" before they finally catch on and say, "Wiat, you're just gonna kill me after I do what you want!"

You should hop on over to my thread 'on death, the soul, and the warp'.
Linkage always helps get people to another thread.

Are you opposed to the idea of a Chaos cult alliance? I mean, do you not agree with the four powers being lumped together? :confused:
Oh, I agree that the Chaos powers should be lumped together sometimes, just not every time.

You have two major rivalries and one lesser one between the Chaos gods where they hate each other.

The big explanation for them working together is that the Changer of Ways manipulates the other three into a temporary alliance for his own evil purpose. Somehow this happens every 2-3 years? I think that's pretty far-fetched.

Add to this that the Chaos players are getting so accustomed to playing as one group that they don't honor the fluffy infighting that should happen, and I'm pretty sick of seeing all the Chaos gods playing nice with each other. So much for being bad guys, Chaos, your gods have gone soft.

Kiro
23-02-2007, 18:17
Ah, but we betrayed Chaos at the end of Eye of Terror, and there's only so many times you can "ally" with a group and kill your "allies" before they finally catch on and say, "Wait, you're just gonna kill me after I do what you want!"

Nahhh, I wouldn't say there's so many times they could get away with this. There's always opportunities of 'well they weren't as smart as I am, so they deserved what they got' or '...not if I double-cross them first!' racial relations are too dynamic to pin down in one or two broadstrokes. Granted, I know this is 40k and not white-wolf, but still...

Linkage always helps get people to another thread.

Sorry, I just assumed you'd find threads started by me. Here you go (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70540)

Khanaris
23-02-2007, 20:21
--I came out pretty well off of the whole business. I managed to pick up a full load of slightly-used Eldar tech off of a disgruntled exile before he got himself vaporized. I also managed to load up on native cargo for resale to the nostalgic among the refugee population that made it off. Not a bad haul for a few months of work. ;)

I enjoyed the campaign immensely. I didn't get to play many games over the course of the summer, but I had a lot of fun working together with the storylines that my Tau compatriots were devising. I am really looking forward to getting more heavily involved in the next campaign.

As for the Hammer, I would say that its results were mixed. It was supposed to be a distraction, with Imperial players focusing on the Airbase instead of the research facilities. As it happened, it was ignored until it was basically too late, and ended up serving its secondary purpose without ever really serving its primary purpose. But it was fun and dramatic, so I guess that is all that matters. We couldn't publicize what we were doing that far in advance, though, because we didn't know for sure that GW would bite on it until almost the last minute.

IncubiLord
23-02-2007, 22:00
I may be the one who vaporized that exile... :evilgrin:

I disagree that you couldn't have publicized your actions more, though. Even if GW didn't bite, you were still trying.

thelightbringer
23-02-2007, 22:06
I totally enjoyed!!even created my own fluff for my marines!!In fact my medusa vets have a marking on thier armour to recognise the fact!!any troops I got after that dont!! Well done GW!! all praise the Gogmagog battlegroup of the Ultramarines, in His name did we purge the xenos on Medusa V!!

Lord_Magellan
23-02-2007, 22:14
So i would hope. I would hate to have to visit you with my Inquisitorial forces to test the matter of your purity. The only good xeno is a dead one.

Stormhammers
24-02-2007, 05:17
I have tons of fun during the medusa camp. I think it was done better than oth other campaigns I took part in.

Bookwrak
24-02-2007, 06:08
The big explanation for them working together is that the Changer of Ways manipulates the other three into a temporary alliance for his own evil purpose. Somehow this happens every 2-3 years? I think that's pretty far-fetched.

Not that campaigns take place all over the time line. This campaign was 'historicaly' set a couple centuries before the 13th Black Crusade, wasn't it? Instead of 2-3 years, campaigns can take place centuries or even millennia apart.

Iracundus
24-02-2007, 09:14
It takes place after the 13th Black Crusade. Ygethmor died at the end of Medusa V, while he had just risen in favor at the end of the EoT campaign as a result of securing the Heart of Chaos artifact for Abaddon. It was likely that Ygethmor got his chance to even make a bid for daemonhood as a result of having risen sufficiently high in Abaddon's favor.

Lord_Magellan
24-02-2007, 09:16
So, they are linked. The potential for heroes, villains, rivalries and unit histories can carry from campaign to campaign. Very cool.

Shasolenzabi
24-02-2007, 10:29
[[[ Yes, even Shas' O Kal' Dath Or' es L' enzabi finally got to get his hands on the Commissar that killed his bondmates, and left him in need of Cybernetic Prosthesis over 200 Tau' Cyr ago! The hat of Commissar Fuentes now resides in the Shas' O's trophy room. I may however have it hung on the suit from a chain along with some others for when I play him again in his Irridium armored XV-89 battle-suit! I got to also try out my one VDR tank, the Thresher Shark, basically a Tau Jagdpanzer. It fired twinlinked railguns mounted in the hull.

so now, I want to have my Tau army in next campaign, but I also want my second army, the Khadrovian Iron Guards play, both would be on the same side though as the Khadrovians see the Tau as allies to help their overriding goal to free the Emperor from the grip of the High lords, the Ecclessiarch, and their combined greed! (They see him being held prisoner for the use of keeping the Imperium together under the High Lords' thumbs, and feel he will become whole again if removed from the Golden Throne/Prison. Others hope he will ascend and put the warp and the chaos gods under some form of control! they think it will make a new Golden Age!

Lord_Magellan
24-02-2007, 22:08
HERESY!

*purge purge purge*

I will see you on the battlefields of the next WW campaign, heretic! :)

Gen.Steiner
24-02-2007, 22:45
Inquisitor Kurlin has the right idea. The Galaxy belongs to us, for we are carrying out His divine work to ensure peace for all humans - and humans alone! While certain abhumans with the correct levels of genetic stability will be tolerated, the vile xenos will not be.

As such, the Darendaran Imperial Guard's X Mechanised Regiment fought hard and well, taking 68% losses including a whole company fallen fighting Necrons. The campaign was ace, I really enjoyed it! :D

Lord_Magellan
24-02-2007, 23:07
Keep that thinking, General. I'll need allies to keep the Imperium pure in the next campaign :)

Shasolenzabi
26-02-2007, 10:56
[[[ The battle for New Oregon has begun! the battle, though inconclusive, did see the Cadian 4th Grenadiers"Grave Diggers" and the Germanian Panzer Regiment fall back just outside of Novy-Eugene metro-sprawl to regroup so the Konfederation may not have scored a decisive opening victory, but with their fall-back to regroup, the konfederation views this as a Moral victory! The lack of massive casualties on both sides is viewed as intercession by the Emperor to avoid loss of life of those who worship Him,, Even though we know we are right, and they are deluded, serving the corrupt high lords who incarcerate His Holy Majesty!

Proudly, the sons and daughters of the konfederation stood this battle without the aid of our Tau allies/trade partners, nor the enigmatic Kraal' Q xenogens. We are course saddened that fellow men and women did not see reason and merely join our cause, but it was better they faced a pure soldierly force, and not the command of the S.M.E.R.T.Z., who in their righteous zeal would have set to cleansing all they came across, giving no quarter to the Imperium forces.

[[[I am hoping that our local campaign will be as much a blast as M-5!

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 11:00
Keep that thinking, General. I'll need allies to keep the Imperium pure in the next campaign :)

Any who stand against the God-Emperor must be purged! :D Ah, I do love the smell of promethium in the morning.

Speaking of the next campaign, I do hope that it comes round soon. :) 2009 perhaps... or maybe 2010.

bram kuijpers
26-02-2007, 11:19
Any who stand against the God-Emperor must be purged! :D Ah, I do love the smell of promethium in the morning.

Speaking of the next campaign, I do hope that it comes round soon. :) 2009 perhaps... or maybe 2010.

that aint so soon 2 years from now but theres a fantasy campiagn coming first

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 11:26
For which I'm painting up Empire troops :D but I am looking forwards to the next big worldwide 40K campaign. I want to use my desert-based light infantry!

Shasolenzabi
26-02-2007, 11:43
[[[ Our bunch have been diving head-first into city fighting! amazing how any IG types can manage so well in it!

Gen.Steiner
26-02-2007, 11:50
Guard love cityfight because it enables 'em to have a good save, use template weapons to full effect, and generally kick ****. :D

Shasolenzabi
26-02-2007, 11:52
[[[ I find that Mortars are usually doing alright in cities! I want to get a battery of Thudds+Heavy Mortars+Earthshakers
Plus a LOT of mortars!

[[[ It fits their very Russian Theme.

MacVurrich
26-02-2007, 12:08
M5 was the most successfull campaign GW have done so far...

Hopefully this year will be even better, (the UK only scored 200 battles less than the US (though we did have more narratives :p ) Now who's got the crown ??? ;) :angel:

Lord_Magellan
26-02-2007, 23:14
GAH! Not 2009. Surely we'll get our turn in 2008, won't we? :( :( :(

Splagbot
26-02-2007, 23:33
Why did the WW campaign work for me?

Hmm, well for starters I play Guard and we won, not only that but I just played lots of games and didn't worry too much about who would win, every game I played was played in good spirits and we just set out to have fun and see where we ended up, gladly I ended up on the winning side, I seem to that a lot in campaigns!

Oh yeah, I as usual agree with everything Steiner says about Guard (apart from the DKoK thing), anything for an easy life!

Stormhammers
27-02-2007, 05:21
hmmm, I too genrally agree with steiner EVEN ON THE DKoK thing, BECAUSE IT'S TRUE! but beside that, guard are just plain fun to play and even more fun when you actually win. I look foreward to the next WW camp. I try not to speculate too much on what it's gonna be about because that just makes it dissapointing...kinda like,"if you dont expect too much, you wont be let down" I was happy about the IG victory, and from the camp, I now have a number of heroes and special characters and units (I have backgrounds for my doctrines) and hope to continue the legacy of my Panzergrenadier Div.

Lord_Magellan
28-02-2007, 01:25
I'm looking forward to bringing Kurlin back for another official WW campaign, for that matter, just to see how many people are still around from M5. It would be nice to see a reunion...

HalfEvil333
28-02-2007, 01:51
Wow, I really hope to play in the next one if it turns out to be as good as this one.

MrGarm13
28-02-2007, 04:14
If you get a reunion thread going, try to make it as public as possible. There were some good guys leading the Space Marines during Medusa 5.

Althanan
28-02-2007, 04:45
You were Kurlin, eh? Oh god did I hate you :P

Remember the one Eldar player who kept trying to deal with you? Yeah, I was the guy who was the most vocal about trying to rid ourselves of him :p

Seriously, though, glad to see you around here, and I pretty much feel the same way about the campaign as you.

Stormhammers
28-02-2007, 05:14
If you get a reunion thread going, try to make it as public as possible. There were some good guys leading the Space Marines during Medusa 5.

quite a few leading the IG as well

bram kuijpers
28-02-2007, 08:02
quite a few leading the IG as well

just like me and if theres a new 40k ww campaign coming up its ig al the way:evilgrin:

though i must admit sm did pretty wel to

Lord_Magellan
28-02-2007, 09:16
You were Kurlin, eh? Oh god did I hate you :P

Remember the one Eldar player who kept trying to deal with you? Yeah, I was the guy who was the most vocal about trying to rid ourselves of him :p

Seriously, though, glad to see you around here, and I pretty much feel the same way about the campaign as you.

You hated me? Good. That means you were paying attention. ;P When I saw so much plot swirling around my Kurlin posts, I tried to make him as "fluffy" as possible, like the Inquisitors you read about in the fiction and codexes. I really had a blast with him. And to be fair, you did hold your own more than enough yourself. :)

A reunion thread would practically be worth the price of admission. If this wasn't free. :P

Wow, I really hope to play in the next one if it turns out to be as good as this one.

Same here. We'll have to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle a second time, like they did with medusa V!

Shasolenzabi
28-02-2007, 10:34
[[[ Well, if they have the next campaign in 2008, I will be hoping to have Shas'O Lenzabi and Shas' El N'agi back for more, and this time Khadrovian Inquisitor General Mikhail, and Gen. Zhukov, and Col. Antolov in the mix, along with Decorated Vet Sgt Yvgeny Vasily and his Violators, with theior mascot: A case of Vodka!! (A friend actually made me a a marker they carry with them from two old Imperial Tank tool boxes, and some shaved down mortars on top, the joke was that using "Sewer-Rats" and the fact that Vasily and his boys would take their time showing up, was due to them raiding the commissary and getting into the vodka to rally themselves to insane levels of glory!) They have had an amazing career of attacking tanks with their melta-rifles and melta-bombs, so much so that the last battle, they got attacked by an entire AC all by themselves! Yes, 184 pts scaring 2500pts! Hardened Vets for the win!

But yes, they would be there. BTW, they will stop all combat against Imperial Troops if there are chaos on the board. they are descended from those that fought the crusade and defended earth against Horus, and they always tell the tales for the past 10k years, they hate chaos to pieces!

Lord_Magellan
28-02-2007, 17:20
I'll have a hard time deciding who to play in the next one. I've got a 2000+ point Dark Angels force I've been building up, and my conversion/painting is the best its ever been. Still Kurlin's had quite a reputation, and I've been working hard that people don't forget him specifically so a reunion at the next campaign will be quick, easy and unforgettable (not to mention, I'm trying to encourage the other heroes of Medusa V to maintain high profiles as well, as I'd love to see what's been happening to the rest of the player base since then).
Run on sentance from hell, but eh, whateva.

IncubiLord
01-03-2007, 05:09
Well, I suspect Lord Malkyrus and the Court of the Dark Prince would make another appearance - though how the Alliance of the Dark Court could top last time's entertainment currently eludes me.
Really, how could a Dark Eldar player not use our army for a global campaign?

We might even have a new codex by then - if we make a temporary pact with the Changer of Ways, fight three wars for the Blood God, and cover a world with the bodies of our victims in the name of the Lord of Decay...

Nah, I'll be using the same codex that was around for the last three campaigns through the next one.
Then I'll make comments about the DE being the truest to the fluff - our ways have been around longer than any other race's, and we've got the venerable codex to prove it! ;)

My larger concern is deciding which force to play for the Nemesis Crown. I've got Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, and Goblins&Orcs that could go play, but the plot has yet to draw me in:

"Ooh, there's a nifty artifact of DOOM, come fight over it!"

Honestly, that's it?
I know we're a ways out yet, but sometimes saying a little is worse than saying nothing at all. If that's all there is to it, you can bet I'll be with the rebels who go after something they're not supposed to - again.

Lord_Magellan
01-03-2007, 22:13
They'll probably release more details as time goes on, like in medusa V, when they released that booklet with White Dwarf. It'll be up the players, I think, to tell the real story.

Althanan
02-03-2007, 03:15
You hated me? Good. That means you were paying attention. ;P When I saw so much plot swirling around my Kurlin posts, I tried to make him as "fluffy" as possible, like the Inquisitors you read about in the fiction and codexes. I really had a blast with him. And to be fair, you did hold your own more than enough yourself. :)

Ehehehe, yeah, I let myself get very very into it meself :P It was the fluff-driven storytelling that pulled me into the campaign as hard as I was, so having a guy like you to drive it harder made it even more fun.

MacVurrich
02-03-2007, 09:28
They'll probably release more details as time goes on, like in medusa V, when they released that booklet with White Dwarf. It'll be up the players, I think, to tell the real story.

That is the idea and as long as player take up the challenge then it will continue

a lot of the narrtive hooks came out of idea posted via the UK - thanks to Che who was the only GW employee in all regions who was able to dedicate "full time" to the plots.

And he got a lot of his ideas from the community at large
GCN, The Waaagh Forum and Warseer IG,

"Che's left the company at as no one is doing the narration full time soley GW need the input of gamers"

This years campaign TNC has project Egg on Dwarf already under way to implement ideas in to narrative hook lines

www.gcnm.org.uk for updates

Lord_Magellan
02-03-2007, 21:59
I'm eyeballing Tomb Kings for this one...

Gen.Steiner
02-03-2007, 22:12
Empire. To be exact, the Pike & Shotte that's in my sig. PLUG PLUG PLUG. ;) :p

Splagbot
02-03-2007, 22:14
I think they will flesh out the background a little more, they always build it up in the months preceding, I am hoping for a stonking battle report in White Dwarf this time though.

I'm quite looking forward to the next campaign, I really enjoyed Medusa and I'm hoping that Nemesis Crown will prove be just as enjoyable.

These campaigns always help me get more painting done as well, there's nothing like a deadline to spure a chap on, it's going to be Bretonnians this time around.

muskrat
03-03-2007, 01:13
From the US chaos perspective, I had a lot of fun. When plaxor did not have the time to run the Hydra sector as good as he wished, we staged a coup d'etat and took over, and were granted philbrad's blessing to form a council on the war.

Chaos didn't do too hot over all in the end, what with Y'gethmor dying and all, but ask yourself- do you really think we came here for him? We may fight for Abbadon when he calls, but not his lackey. Y'gethmor was doomed the minute he needed our help.

sorry, a bit of propaganda spilling out still. all in all it was a great time here on Warseer with you all at least, and got too do some heavy planning. Loved it especially when the Tau had evac'ed out of a part os Sybilla Primus, drawing the Imperials out to fight them- which allowed us to release Black Wing effectively.

Splagbot
03-03-2007, 01:17
Do you think there will be a forum for the Nemsis Crown campaign like there was for Medusa V, I hope so as it was partly that made the campaign so enjoyable and if they do when will be set up, when where the Medusa V ones set up.

IncubiLord
03-03-2007, 04:30
There seemed the implication in the announcement of the GW forums closing that a forum would be created and used for the next campaign - and that they have kept everybody's user ID and password stored away somewhere.

I'd imagine that it's mandatory.
Not having a central forum would make things run very poorly - it's simply a logistical nightmare to keep track of every 40K forum out there and make all their varying stories mesh into one overall narrative.

Lord_Magellan
03-03-2007, 08:37
I hope so. No other forum would be more appropriate and no other forum could be as directly centralized. Even if it's just a temporary forum, like Medusa V, it would work far better than attempting to use these peripheral websites to fill the void. Even good ones like Warseer.

Easy E
03-03-2007, 08:39
And IncubiLord would know about the nightmare of meshing storylines into an overall narrative...

PLUG http://freewebs.com/warmallet41k/T7Map.htm PLUG

Lord_Magellan
03-03-2007, 22:14
Lacking a central hub would diminish the player interaction and the quality of the overall experience. I think we can all get behind that. One of the reasons M-5 worked so well was the forums (as we've mentioned here), and the fact they were the official Medusa V forums made a huge difference. People might have plotted and schemed and RP'd on other sites, but the GW forum was the stage where it all went down.

Shasolenzabi
04-03-2007, 09:26
[[[ Agreed, we plotted, we schemed, we planned, and then plopped it out for the masses on the main forum, and if they had allowed access to it, we could all read it all over again!

MacVurrich
04-03-2007, 14:34
[QUOTE=IncubiLord;1349235]There seemed the implication in the announcement of the GW forums closing that a forum would be created and used for the next campaign -
QUOTE]

That's the general plan

watch this space ;)

GideonRavenor
04-03-2007, 16:43
I enjoyed Medusa V due to the forum stuff affecting the storyline, making it a great experience despite me being on holiday for most of the summer.

Lord_Magellan
05-03-2007, 03:41
I'm willing to log on to the Nemesis Crown boards just to see the story unfold. And maybe give it a push here and there. ;P

IncubiLord
05-03-2007, 04:39
People might have plotted and schemed and RP'd on other sites, but the GW forum was the stage where it all went down.
That, on the other hand, was also a let-down.

All manner of plotting and narrative happened off-site, and GW repeatedly said that they were looking at these other forums, but nothing beyond the official site ever made it into a weekly report.

I had the DE players all set for waging a war of terror against the lesser races (it makes sense from our perspective), and we started out with it, but our work all went unnoticed until we established a presence on the official forums.

I'm not against the official forums being the place everything happens, but be clear that's how it is. None of this "yeah, we're looking - no comment" stuff.

and if they had allowed access to it, we could all read it all over again!
The GW forums were notorious for eating older posts before they mentioned that they were closing them. I saved copies of my favorite stuff from the DE.

Perhaps the Tau are just too young to think that far ahead? :p

Lord_Magellan
05-03-2007, 06:59
Tau are Xenos that deserve to die, per the Word of the God Emperor. No further understanding of their nature is relevant. :)

MacVurrich
05-03-2007, 11:56
That, on the other hand, was also a let-down.

All manner of plotting and narrative happened off-site, and GW repeatedly said that they were looking at these other forums, but nothing beyond the official site ever made it into a weekly report.

I..... :p
agreed their were a number of non GW idea that didn't make the thread

but a number did
the Ork Krawler for one
created on the Waaagh Forum and created in dispatches
Warseer's IG idea's in line with the Voice of truth assualt in Edethor

(ok agreed a these were two that Itacked down or posted to me to include) but it wasn't Just GW forum idea - well at least in the UK "WE" hunted for ideas all other the web
used the ones that we're related and "where fully developed"
these where all taken into consideration along with the shop and GCN club narratives