PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Ostland - Empire Project Log

Fenriz
09-02-2007, 13:34
Right, time to address fantasy before my 40k Guard army drives me mental.

Im planning on doing a full 2000pt Empire Ostland army. But first ill be doing 1000pts worth for a gaming club myself and some mates are putting together.

So why the Empire? Its all summed up in two words:

WARRIOR PRIESTS

These guys are easily the coolest models in the Empire range, especially the new ones, and iv always loved their background.

My local GW is holding a HQ painting competition which is judged next saturday, with a catagory for each core game. I figured i fancied painting some fantasy, but which model?

One scan of the racks yesterday afternoon found me looking at the new double handed warhammer armed Warrior Priest. Five minutes later i was 5 lighter and one Warrior Priest up.

After spending a few hours getting most of him painted, id fallen in love with the idea of doing an army, so here we are. Im having two Warrior Priests in the army, so the next model in the log will be the new model armed with two hammers. Lovely. Most likely followed by a regiment of Halbediers.

Here is the first, he still needs his gold doing, and a freehand griffon on his robe, and some detailed lining on the inner of his robe. As its an ostland army, theyl all be based with grey stone and dark earthen bases with snow and spartan patches of static grass, ill take pics when thats done.

Now, the model:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00013.jpg

Apologies for the pics, theyre the best i could do with a cam-phone.

Opinions welcomed and appreciated. Help me keep painting and produce an army to be proud of. Also, any questions over any technique or colours will be happily answered to the best of my linguistic ability. :)

CMDante
09-02-2007, 13:39
Looks like a nice job so far. Having a blog following the resurgance of my own Ostland army I will be following this one to see your take on this state.

Cheers,

Dante

Anardakil
09-02-2007, 13:46
Wow Ostland sure is popular nowadays. :D

Awesome painting! It will be great to see him when he's finished. Not to mention seeing your other troops. Oh and yeah warrior priests are among the coolest there are in WFB ^^

Aenarion
09-02-2007, 16:06
That looks pretty good Fenriz, I think it would look even better up close. Is the black bit on his forehead the twin tailed commet? Feel free to post gobbo's ;)

Fenriz
09-02-2007, 16:09
Yeah, im still undecided what to do with it, silver or gold.

And ill post pictures of your Gobbos when you agree to come to Amon Amarth in April. ;)

konrad
10-02-2007, 09:03
yes warrior priests do indeed kick ass.

HiredSword.
10-02-2007, 12:41
wow, i really like some of the muted tones you've used, be sure to tell us how you got on in the competition :)

Cpt_Tiberius
10-02-2007, 15:04
beautiful job! I love the new minis too, thinking of using one as part of a 40k inquistor warband.

Voronwe[MQ]
12-02-2007, 07:37
Excellent armour on the warrior priest! As for the participation of an Empire Warrior Priest model in an Inquisitor warband; go ahead; it fits perfectly. :)

Voronwe

Fenriz
20-02-2007, 18:54
Finished Warrior Priest pictures!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00085.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00086.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00087.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00090.jpg

Fenriz
20-02-2007, 18:54
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00093.jpg

Won first place too. Quite chuffed.

Opinions welcomed and appreciated as always. :)

Aenarion
20-02-2007, 19:14
Thats some excellent stuff, love the free hand too. Nice one on the win, however next time I may well be around ;)

Fenriz
20-02-2007, 19:17
E-gad, you might actually paint one of your models? ;)

Remember to highlight the back. :p

Aenarion
20-02-2007, 20:15
It's not my fault I'm lazy, and hey, if people want too check out my marines' backsides then I will highlight them ;)

konrad
20-02-2007, 21:42
really nice model. Love the freehand on the back how long did it take you?

Fenriz
20-02-2007, 21:56
The freehand maybe took an hour to an hour and a half.

Overall the models about 8 hours work.

I plan on painting the rest of the army to that standard. I think i need my head seeing to...

Anardakil
20-02-2007, 22:01
It looks great! Nice freehand.

Congratulations on winning!

Fenriz
20-02-2007, 22:50
Thanks. :)

Getting some greatswords and knights this week. Courtesy of my friend Aenarion.

Get started on those as soon as i have them.

For those who are a little interested in my Guard log, im updating properly this week, as iv got loads done since the last proper update.

ilikebmxbikes
21-02-2007, 07:57
great figure.

Catferret
21-02-2007, 07:59
Nice freehand on the cloak. Congratulations on winning! It looks well deserved.

Bra'tac
21-02-2007, 08:45
well done on the freehand.
but i have to b!tch about some thing.
those moldlines.....**shakes head in disappointing way

Fenriz
21-02-2007, 10:22
Yeah, i did actually file the model, and thought id got them all, they werent very noticeable till after id started to paint, and by then it was too late, working on my painting schedule.

The photos excentuate them to a degree, theyre not as prominant to look at in real life. Its something thats bugged me too, but too late now.

And thanks for all the other comments guys. All other constructive critism will be well recieved. :)

Fenriz
23-02-2007, 11:34
I now have 19 Greatswords and 8 Knights! (Thanks mate!) :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00029.jpg

Constructed regiment pictures to come over the weekend. :)

CMDante
23-02-2007, 11:50
Looking forward to seeing more, that warrior priest looks great!

Anything special planned for the greatswords? I'm planning on repainting mine soon and maybe adding a few conversions after reading the stuff about the Black Guard in Empire at War.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
23-02-2007, 11:57
Well, iv still not really spent much time looking at them yet.

First thoughts are to try and bring emphasis to their improved arms and armament and try to paint the armour to relfect superior smithing and materials. Definitely going to stay away from gold on the models though, as i believe Ostland has more pride in martial prowess than physical adornment.

Think ill stick to browns and blacks in the palette and only add the state colours to the banner and the pennants. Im not sure black and white would go so well in large quantities with all that armour on them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

CMDante
23-02-2007, 12:09
In the Black Library sourcebook the Empire at War it suggests that the main greatsword regiment of Ostland (the Black Guard) wear black laquered armour and leather hauberks and weild heavily inlaid and ornamented greatswords, frequently bearing depictions of Morr as the regiment seems to have a strong association with the god of death.

I'm planning on doing some greenstuffing to a couple of spare unpainted greatswords I have today so hopefully I'll have something to show this weekend that might provide some inspiration!:)

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
23-02-2007, 12:12
I like the sounds of that actually, definitely fits what i thought Ostland were about.

Is that book still available? I may have to get it, as i think itd provide untold inspiration and help.

And ill definitely be checking to see what you come up with, and apologies in advance if i decide to "borrow" your idea's. ;) Haha. I love to work with greenstuff, so i definitely like the sounds of where youre going with it.

CMDante
23-02-2007, 12:16
I'm not sure if the BL are still selling it (think I got one of the last copies) but maelstorm games (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/) were still selling it for a good price the last time I checked. Failing that try amazon or ebay!

Your welcome to "borrow" any ideas mate, I do it all the time too! ;)

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
23-02-2007, 12:25
Thanks mate, ill take a look at the site.

And thanks again about the help. :)

LeeBC
25-02-2007, 19:44
I am jealous! I wish I could paint like that. The freehand on the back is awesome!

Fenriz
25-02-2007, 20:07
Thanks. :)

The secret to it is practice. If i hadnt got better in 13 years, id have started to worry. Haha. :p

Update tomorrow after iv put the Knights together. :)

LeeBC
26-02-2007, 02:55
Thats what everyone keeps on saying. Either way, that is brilliant.

Fenriz
26-02-2007, 17:13
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/rage_undimmed/Other/Warhammer/DSC00039.jpg

My knight unit is now constructed and ready for priming.

Greatswords are in the process of being filed and based. :)

CMDante
26-02-2007, 21:02
Gah! Upright lances?! Blasphemer! ;)

I prefer to have lances lowered in a full tilt position myself but I'm looking forward to seeing what scheme you go for with these guys. I'm holding off making knights until the new set hits hopefully around summer time as I don't like how the old ones look compared to all the other new figures.

Cheers,

Dante

Fenriz
26-02-2007, 21:48
Much as it saddens me to say it, its out of necessity rather than anything else. The gamers at my local GW have a less than exemplary record when it comes to looking after other peoples models, simply ramming their units into contact when they charge. Snapped lances arent something im willing to risk, so theyre upright. :(

Much the same as im hesitant to do proper spear formations on my spearmen when i get round to them. Saves me going to jail for breaking someone into seperate pieces for damaging my models. :p

Besides, levelled lances are wasted on the models, as the models just arent dynamic enough. Ill eventually replace these when the new ones arrive. Im only having 6 in 2000pts anyway.

Im still not sure of the scheme, i think theyl be done largely in metals with dark leather trims. Dark coloured horses, probably 3 brown, 2 black, and a 2 tone grey. The shields, crests, and banner will be the main unifying point with the army i think, bearing Ostlands state colours.

I think when the new Knights come out ill do them as Knights of Morr. :)

Fenriz
27-02-2007, 11:13
Seeing as photobucket is being a git, ill upload this attachment instead.

Three out of four ranks of my Greatsword regiment.

Buying the command models next week as well as their Warrior Priest.

Basing whats there this afternoon.

The knights are now primed and awaiting commensment of painting. :)

The Syko Ward
11-06-2009, 02:36
Wow! Hella nice freehand on that warrior priests cape there!

Arduhn
11-06-2009, 16:28
Good stuff, I look forward to more. Subscribed!

Vasteye
11-06-2009, 16:36
Major kudos for the warrior priest and winning the contest, it's a great looking model. Any chance of a painting guide for the skin? I'm thinking of starting an empire army soon and that's one of my shaky painting areas.

bob_the_small
11-06-2009, 19:11
Nice stuff... why does that old empire batallion say dan abnett on it?

Just seen that WP! Awesome freehand!

The boyz
11-06-2009, 19:14
Good start to your fledgeling Empire army, Fenriz. The warrior priest is looking very nice. I like the freehand on his cloak. Keep up the good work.

loveless
11-06-2009, 21:16
People...there's more than a 2-year gap between post 36 and post 37. This is just some threadomancy from newbie, The Syko Ward.