PDA

View Full Version : Making a Fantasy version of AI

Avian
09-02-2007, 16:00
Greetings,

For some time now I've been pondering how to make a mini-game for flyers in Fantasy Battles and now that the AI rules are out, I was wondering how they could work as a base. However, I don't want to go out and order a copy of the rules for a game I don't intend to play, just to find out that they could not be translated to FB anyway.

So I have a few basic questions I was hoping you could answer:

- You play the game by secretly selecting from a list of manoeuvres, right?

- What is the order of movement? Is it similar to 40K where one player moves all his flyers, or more like Epic?

- Assuming you wanted to, how easy would it be to intercept another flyer in AI? I am assuming that normally you wouldn't want to, but theoretically speaking, how difficult would it be, providing that the opponent did not try excessively hard to avoid it.

- Is there any reason why it would not be possible to add in close combat rules to the game?

ml2sjw
09-02-2007, 16:20
a) yep

b)moves are like epic

c) Grot bombs require a 5+ to crash into another model if they move within x inches so that sounds about right

d)Not to hard at all, you would just add a "charge" and "hand to hand" phase to the game

mattjgilbert
09-02-2007, 17:20
- You play the game by secretly selecting from a list of manoeuvres, right?
Correct - one for each of your aircraft

- What is the order of movement? Is it similar to 40K where one player moves all his flyers, or more like Epic?You move one, I move one, you move one etc. by initiative

- Assuming you wanted to, how easy would it be to intercept another flyer in AI? I am assuming that normally you wouldn't want to, but theoretically speaking, how difficult would it be, providing that the opponent did not try excessively hard to avoid it.Normally you cannot. Only the grot bomb can do this as ml2sjw says so there are rules to do it.

- Is there any reason why it would not be possible to add in close combat rules to the game?Bewteen flyers? Like dragons or monsters fightin mid-air? No reason why not but you would have to change the basic premise that the sky is so big you are not going to hit each other/ block LOS etc.

Sounds interesting :)

CELS
09-02-2007, 23:48
No offence, but there was already a thread like this a while back. You should be able to find it, it wasn't too long ago. Much talk about dragons and wizards.

Avian
11-02-2007, 14:42
You mean the one page thing four pages back that didn't actually deal with any of the things I wanted to know? Yes, after some searching I did find that. :p

Normally you cannot. Only the grot bomb can do this as ml2sjw says so there are rules to do it.
I don't think you guys really understood the question. I was not asking if you could legally get into base contact with each other in AI, I was wondering how difficult it would be to actually do this, assuming it was legal. Example: I have a Wyvern rider and my opponent has a unit of Pegasus Knights. I want to catch him and he doesn't intend to let me. Do I have any hope of managing this, or are the movement restrictions imposed by the cards so strict that it is a matter of pure guesswork?

mageboltrat
11-02-2007, 15:39
I quite often manage to get my planes to overlap the enemy planes bases, Normally followed by a lot of profanity as I'm an ork player. So it's definite manageable

mattjgilbert
11-02-2007, 18:28
Although you may want to permit an attack if you get within, say 2" or something. Would need playtesting I guess.

Avian
12-02-2007, 14:27
The idea would be that some (more powerful) attacks would involve getting into close combat, while some (less powerful) attacks would just mean raking an enemy flyer and could be done if you moved within a given distance.

What type of manoeuvres do you get in AI anyway? I can see an indistinct copy of the cards on the FW website, but as I cannot read the text not all make a lot of sense to me...

mattjgilbert
12-02-2007, 20:28
You have 10 cards with different types of move. They are ranked Low, High and Very High and the agility of each craft will determine which ones it can select. They are a variety of turns, sharp turns, loops, straight moves etc.