PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2,000 points defensive army

Makarion
09-02-2007, 20:37
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the Tomb Kings, but a buddy of mine lets me borrow his, so I made up a list to try them out. What is your opinion on this first attempt?

315 Liche High Priest (hierophant).
Hieratic Jar, Cloak of the Dunes, Dispel Scroll

330 Liche Priest.
Casket of Souls, Collar of Sapesh, Dispel Scroll

147 Tomb Prince (general). With 1st warriors unit
Light Armour, Spear of Antarthak, Enchanted Shield

281 Skeletal Warriors *29
Light armour, shield. Champion, standard bearer

210 Skeletal Warriors *25
Bow. Standard bearer.

84 Skeletal Light Cavalry *6

120 Chariots *3

229 Tomb Guard *15
Champion, Standard Bearer w/ banner of the Undying Legion

195 Ushabti *3

85 Tomb Scorpion

1996 total

Basic idea:

Sit back and defend the Casket. This list will hopefully dominate the magic phase enough that defending and counter-charges are enough to grind out a win. There's a decent amount of ranged damage available in the list, so terrain placement is going to be important. I guess that shows I'm an Empire player at heart :cool: .

I feel pretty sure that the list would be stronger with a catapult in it, but unless I scratch-build one, that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Questions:

a. Should I change the Prince's weaponry to flail, light shield and Scorpion Armour?

b. Is the Bone Giant a better choice than the Ushabti? I wish I had Carrion or a Skull Catapult available, but that's just not the case.

c. How important is the BSB to a TK army? I was tempted to include him/her, but that would have required me to drop a unit.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Jack of Blades
09-02-2007, 22:05
My messages are included in the quote and have *** before them.

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the Tomb Kings, but a buddy of mine lets me borrow his, so I made up a list to try them out. What is your opinion on this first attempt?

*** My general opinion is to post exchange the position of the points cost and numbers on your units. I stopped reading and just looked on the units the first time because it just kills my eyes, but ill do it now.

*** Suppose so.

330 Liche Priest.

*** Aight, this looks like a nice build for a Casketman.

Light Armour, Spear of Antarthak, Enchanted Shield

*** Put him in a chariot.

*** I like this. Exchange the champion for a musician.

Bow. Standard bearer.

*** No... no. If youre arming them with bows, make them units of 10 and put NOTHING OTHER THAN BOWS on them.

*** A points waste. They do nothing.

120 Chariots *3

*** Yeah, and dont forget the Tomb Prince!

229 Tomb Guard *15

*** I suggest uping their numbers and giving them the Warbanner or some other banner instead.

195 Ushabti *3

*** All right, nice.

85 Tomb Scorpion

*** Mandatory.

1996 total

Basic idea:

Sit back and defend the Casket. This list will hopefully dominate the magic phase enough that defending and counter-charges are enough to grind out a win. There's a decent amount of ranged damage available in the list, so terrain placement is going to be important. I guess that shows I'm an Empire player at heart :cool: .

I feel pretty sure that the list would be stronger with a catapult in it, but unless I scratch-build one, that's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Questions:

a. Should I change the Prince's weaponry to flail, light shield and Scorpion Armour?

*** Not really.

b. Is the Bone Giant a better choice than the Ushabti? I wish I had Carrion or a Skull Catapult available, but that's just not the case.

*** For assaulting possible chargers of the Casket, yes.

c. How important is the BSB to a TK army? I was tempted to include him/her, but that would have required me to drop a unit.

*** A candidate for the worst character in the game, unless youre using a Construct army.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

My pleasure :). TK are a hard army, not very beginner/mistake friendly as you might and probably know, but if you can master them, youll dominate :). Good luck to you!

dominic_carrillo
09-02-2007, 23:52
i would lose the skeletons without bows and take more tomb gaurd. put the tomb prince with the tomb gaurd and kill kill kill.

hats off to you for running a High Priest instead of a king, interesting.

Makarion
10-02-2007, 00:39
Well, it stands to reason, really. From what I understand, TK don't win because of their awesome foot sloggers alone, but because of the magic support they can, and must, deliver. As such, they cannot afford to draw the short straw in the magic phase. Ergo, a Liche High Priest, who can deliver two incantations per turn, and at a higher casting level.

I took the regular skeletons not only because I feel an army should have a core of infantry (this is an aesthetic reason, and often a strategic one as well), but also because there has to bea solid defence of the Casket. With only 1 infantry unit (the Tomb Guards), this becomes too risky - I wanted security, and thus a second melee unit. With the Prince in the regular skeletons and not the TG, both units pose something of a threat.

I'll probably do away with unit champions and the 6th light cavalry and use the points to buff up the TG to 18 models (6*3). Hopefully, that will count for enough.

dominic_carrillo
10-02-2007, 00:45
i use skeleton bowmen to flank the casket. your opponent has no choice but to march forward and die.

Von Wibble
10-02-2007, 18:24
Why the collar of shapesh on the priest? If he is in a position where he needs to use it you've done something wrong - never give wizards ward saves!

Its a brave TK player who doesn't use ALL chararter slots imo. That said I play 2500 whereas you don't quite have the luxury of those points to spare.

Lose the light cavalry.

With those points wou can get another unit of 10 bowmen, and a couple more tomb guard. Those bowmen make great sacrificial troops, and can redirect enemy charges to suit you. Your army doesn't have a lot else that fits this role.

skyly
10-02-2007, 18:51
Fine, but I realy like the staff of ravening, but thats personal

330 Liche Priest.
fine

Isnt such a great combo, as you can only recover 3 wounds tops, and you only have a 4+ armor save. i prefeer GW + golden ankara + shield la for offense, or scorpion armor enchanted shield for tank prince.

Big blocks are great !

Bow. Standard bearer.
Drop the standard, fine as long as you can get em 13 wide on a hill, otherwise split in 12 and 13

They work... sometimes...maybe...maybe not....

120 Chariots *3
I rather drop the light cavalry to get the mirrage standard on these, as charriots attract alot of gunfire. one time i got 2 wounds from 20 thunderers and a organ gun. <3 mirage standard

229 Tomb Guard *15
fine

195 Ushabti *3
fine

85 Tomb Scorpion
fine

1996 total

Basic idea:

Questions:

a. Should I change the Prince's weaponry to flail, light shield and Scorpion Armour? If hes on foot, never ever take a flail as hes likely stuck in combat for more then 1 round.. 3 str 4 attacks.. \o/.. works on charriots

b. Is the Bone Giant a better choice than the Ushabti? I wish I had Carrion or a Skull Catapult available, but that's just not the case. Pwew pwew - dead giant. Hes unrealyble in a realyble army

c. How important is the BSB to a TK army? I was tempted to include him/her, but that would have required me to drop a unit. Worthless, not the bsb itself but not beining able to cast magic makes him suck

[dice0] [dice1]