PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if any of you fellows remember me.

DarkAngel74
10-02-2007, 00:33
I am a Korean TK general who played around this site for a little while in last fall. Basically, all I did was whining about how hard it is to play Warhammer across the Pacific Ocean, and fooling around. Still, there were many people who listened to me seriously, and had fun time with on-line. I am truly grateful to this site for that.

I stopped coming here for quite a while, which I do not even know why myself. However, I did face a great, (and probably) positive change in my course of my life; I came to America. Getting away from Korean education, which is notorious for just shoving in things in the textbook in to children's head, once again, I returned to the States in search for a finer quality of education (no, not in search of Warhammer. Alright, Warhammer would have been one of the reasons, but let's not touch that part). Currently, I spent about two weeks in Radnor High School in Bryn Mawr, PA, and I am greatly satisfied. I am truly happy, at least for now.

Another great thing about coming to the States is..... you guess it, Warhammer. I was lucky enough to find a store which is about 20 minutes walk from my house, called Showcase Comics. The owner seems to be a decent gentleman with awesome beards. Yea, beards are COOL. Beards MAKE MAN. DWARVES ARE MAN. DWARVES ARE COOL, although I don't play them. Upon finding the store, I ran like Reiksgurad on charge to the shop, and fetched up a box of skelei warriors. God Bless America, my American Dream of 'In Friday afternoon, you go to the GW store nearby, and fetch some models and get a hearty supper. In Saturday, you go that shop and associate with other player' has been acheived. No matter what a dumbass warlike disaster your President is, no matter how many wars you guys go around waging like Greenskins, your nation ROCKS. Thanks, US. Now being able to raise my own army and being in fine playing condition, I'll be coming here often. I am truly glad. Hope see you people on the battlefield someday. Adios.

TheWarSmith
10-02-2007, 03:36
I certainly remember you Darkangel. Yeah, I can't imagine playing warhammer in Korea(north or south) is easy. Can I ask, are you of Korean decent(I can't imagine non Koreans living there)?

Welcome to the great state of Pennsylvania. I'm originally from the western half(University of Pittsburgh!!!) What exactly brought you over there?

May the United States bring you much prosperity in gaming.

Your fellow warseer,

TWS

DarkAngel74
10-02-2007, 05:57
Ah thank you. I certainly remember you too, Warsmith. I am certainly having good time in US, at least for now.

I am not sure of what you mean by 'Korean decent', due to my lack of English skill, but what I can say is there are small amount of foreigners in RoK, who are either A: Foreign laborer, B: Foreign bride, C: English teacher.

My reason to come to the States is..... WARHAMMER!!!, no not really. For education. Compared to American one, although I am a great lover of my country, our education is much more of manual labor than academical studying. To conclude, I guess you can say I came in seek of opportunity.

adreal
10-02-2007, 07:53
Well I don't remember you, but I'm happy to read that you're happy, so I guess good luck in the future

Vattendroppe
10-02-2007, 09:01
I can't imagine how the hell you get in touch with warhammer in korea... Like wtf?

Festus
10-02-2007, 11:47
Warhammer around the World:
Korea is not much different from Sweden: An appendix to a continental mass ;)

Festus

NakedFisherman
10-02-2007, 12:10
The owner of Showcase Comics even posts here under the name Mikhaila and his son's account (I can't remember his son's account, though).

Ironhand
10-02-2007, 12:15
Except that Sweden is not divided in half by a miles-wide belt of mines and barbed wire.

The other "foreigners" in Korea would be the US military. I spent a year in Korea stationed with 2nd Infantry Division in 1978-79.

dodge33cymru
10-02-2007, 12:35
I am not sure of what you mean by 'Korean decent', due to my lack of English skill

Just thought I'd take issue with your 'lack of English skill'. I'm British and I know, in fact I'm conversing at this moment, with English people with inferior skills to your own. By the way, he means 'descent', or 'ancestry'.

TheWarSmith
10-02-2007, 18:48
hehe, speaking of lack of english skill.

I just meant are you Korean?

Somehow I have to think that Sweden is a bit more connected to the world than Korea.

DarkAngel74
10-02-2007, 21:24
I am native Korean. Black hair, black eyes, darkish yellow skin, loud voice, and love of spicy food. But I suppose one of my ancestors came from China about 1,800 years ago, since my last name originates from Han Dynasty of China.

Sweden? Compare a freezing icebox kingdom which never had any war since 19th century to a pennisula which went through two largest wars after World War II, is still divided by Cold War ideology, spends 30% of national budget on military, and under constant threat of gigantic war? No, that's not a decent comnparison. As far as I know, Sweden does not, and never needs to draft all men above 20 years of age to army for two years and drill them like flames.

There is two source of buying Warhammer in RoK. There is a private online store called "Future Space', which sells GW merchandises at about double price of US, and owner of another Warhammer website also takes orders from the members of his website, imports GW merchandises, and sell it to them. Oh yea, I also heard that there is a model shop in a US Army camp in Seoul which sells Citadel Minatures. All of them costs about 50~100% more than what you have to pay in US or in Britain.

There are about 100 people who play Warhammer in Korea, which are mostly 40k. 40k population has nearly quadropled since Dawn of War came to RoK. I assume that there are less than 30 people who play Warhammer Fantasy in RoK. Sad, so sad. Silly people, 40Ks are for kids!

Rikkjourd
10-02-2007, 21:43
Sweden? Compare a freezing icebox kingdom...

As far as I know, Sweden does not, and never needs to draft all men above 20 years of age to army for two years and drill them like flames.

Enough about Sweden, I take everything except over-simplified praise as an insult! =)

1. It is not freezing, just fresh.
2. Sweden drafted ALL men for a long time, up until a few years ago when only the elite got to join. Like me for example. Proud to be cav!

Rikkjourd
10-02-2007, 21:45
Warhammer around the World:
Korea is not much different from Sweden: An appendix to a continental mass ;)

Festus

Wrong, it is a huge mass of randomness attached to a perfect smaller piece of art.

DarkAngel74
10-02-2007, 21:51
Whoa, they drafted people, too? I never knew. Sorry for saying things without knowing about them.

But about the weather, PennSylvania is freezing enough, and I assume Sweden would be even colder.

Skitter-Squeek
11-02-2007, 06:41
Welcome to America!

I have a couple friends who were RoK marines in South Korea and now they are sushi Chefs downtown... Awsome Fellas! Although We Don't wage war like greenskins, I would like to see a video of our fellow Marines Shouting WAAAAHHG! on the Charge! Yes our president Is not popular with most But I give him credit to Staying with his actions... Now on to the Main Point: WARHAMMER! I love the game and am crazy about it... Glad to see you share such a passion as I do =). May your stay in our Country be a Rewarding one!

Skitter-Squeek

Vattendroppe
11-02-2007, 07:41
But about the weather, PennSylvania is freezing enough, and I assume Sweden would be even colder.

I wouldn't be so sure, I dunno exactly how it is in pensylvania, but I'd say that the climat in sweden is about the climat you find in NY. Not so darn cold that one could think :)

Ironhand
11-02-2007, 13:09
My time in Korea was all spent North of Seoul. We were up in the Chorwon valley in February on an exercise and I have to say the only place I've ever been which was colder was Ft. Richardson, AK (which is NORTH of the Arctic Circle).

LictorIntheGrass
11-02-2007, 17:23
Glad too have you around man. Regardless of all the horrible thing US has done as of late, we STILL represent the better qualities of life. You don't have to worry about your rights disappearing in a day, which is a plus if you don't mind me saying. I myself just started to think about fantasy, interested in Wood Elves. So any advice on them IM me. Peace ya'll.

DarkAngel74
11-02-2007, 18:16
Thank you, thank you so much, people. Your greetings are very grateful.

About weather, I guess since I'm from Deagu, the very southern and warm part, I'm more vulnerable to cold than many others.

Vattendroppe
11-02-2007, 18:17
Then I guess sweden can be a bit cold XD

Anyway, congrats, and have a great WHFB-development! :D

TheWarSmith
12-02-2007, 13:44
Whoa, they drafted people, too? I never knew. Sorry for saying things without knowing about them.

I'm a PA native, and while it can be cold, it's certainly not the coldest. I live in Chicago now and it's been below 10 F for quite a while now. I walked outside this morning, saw it snowing, and said "thank god, that means it's at least 20".

PA has WEIRD weather. You'll get a 1 week hotstreak where it's 65 when it'd otherwise be 30, then it goes down to 20.