PDA

View Full Version : Must... Buy... Orks!

Murphey
10-02-2007, 06:21
Im not a "novelty" gamer. I dont tend to jump around from army to army (or system to system for that matter). I do have the habit of making up armies on paper (or excel to be exact) from the other codeces I have.

One army in particular keep drawing me back though, and I find myself pricing out the list before I catch myself.

And that is Da Orks.

I've never actually been impressed by orks. They got a rat-eared codex, seem well under the power curve, and their models seem really expensive.

But you gotta love their style, and the potential of Blasta upgrades and mad doks is very tempting.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from diving into an ork buying frenzy, is the fact that they have a new codex comming out relativly soon, and thats going to probably make my entire army obsolete the moment I buy them.

So tell me, should I go for it, and risk the ultimate nerfage of my army shortly after completion? Or should I obstain, and wait for the new codex?

the_dark_sarge
10-02-2007, 07:18
well i would wait
i know it may be a long time but the memorys of some of my other armys becoming non playable will help me wait
any way think of all the money you can save between now and when the ork codex comes out
then you can buy all the orks you like

Irondog
10-02-2007, 07:23
I say go for it. It's not like they're going to change army drastically. The Space Marine codex came out and with it you can still field models that you bought 10 years ago or more. The cool thing with Orks is that it feeels really good to squash someone flat using the oldest codex in the game.

For more orky goodness, check out the link in my sig. It's a pretty sizeable thread, but if it doesn't make you want to play orks then nothing will.

Murphey
10-02-2007, 07:48
Well, one of the sinister voices telling me to get orks, talks about how ork models will be of much higher demand once the new codex comes out, so I better get on them now before they get more expensive...

Btw, I love your sigs, esspecially about the "man on fire" one :D

xibo
10-02-2007, 07:50
if da orkses are cool, they are cool no matter their rules... some goes with every army.

EDIT: d**n that glossary

Permanganate
10-02-2007, 10:24
I say go for it. It's not like they're going to change army drastically.

Oh yes they are. e kno that redoing the miniatures is the reason the Ork codex isn't already out. Rumor has it that it'll be everything but the dreadnought (because it's hardly used) and the Kommandos. Only go for Orks now if you actually like their ancient model range. Most don't.

The cool thing with Orks is that it feeels really good to squash someone flat using the oldest codex in the game.

Dark Eldar is older, and it's till a lot more powerful than Orks, who are definitely one of the weakest armies in 40k.

Murphey
10-02-2007, 10:31
Yeah, I put Orks on the very bottom of the power curve. So much so, that I really think they are outside of it, and in many ways not viable at high level play.

Its one of the reasons that the codex power jumps some armies have gotten irks me so badly, because it makes older armies that were well balanced just that much worse by comparison.

Does anyone have a link showing some of the new ork models? The ones Im probably going to be getting are fairly cool models at current. Nobz in Mega-Armor, Burna-Boyz, Zapp gunz, etc.

My only big irk as far as the models go, is that they dont seem to carry a Warboss in mega armor. The only thing they have is the Special Character, whos like 30 bucks.

gitburna
10-02-2007, 12:06
Orks bottom of the powercurve ?? Mine have always performed brilliantly.

I actually think you'll find orks are improved even without their own codex because of the rumoured marine/chaos codexes. Judging on the direction the marine codex took,restricted squad sizes, heavybolters,assault cannons [assault cannon armies are the real bugger against orks.. Well, them and tau skimmer lists] etc all make it a bit easier for orks to operate in an environment where they are not as fast as nids nor as numerous as guard.

All that said, i get tremendous mileage out of my standard ork list.Why change a winning formula? i win around 3/5 of my ork games, which i'd say means they must be relatively well balanced. I think what helps is that an opponent cant know wether i'll take eldar,necrons,dark eldar,marines,chaos,tau etc etc to a fight and has to cater to all eventualities, rather than being able to spam out on ork killing weqponry.

lachlin
10-02-2007, 12:14
If you are looking for an army you can win with 100% of the time, play a demon bomb army or something. Orks are the epitome of fun! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I say if you want to do Orks, then do Orks. Win-loss record be damned! Some of the most fun games I've had with my boyz were games that I lost :)

Even if they do new models, you can mix and match with the current model line. I'm sure going to once they come out. It will give my army an even more rag-tag appearance.

bratbag
10-02-2007, 13:08
Current ork infantry models are fantastic. Buy them, convert them, have fun with them. When the new codex comes out convert them again and have more fun.

Ork vehicle models, bar the killer kans, suck.

Massively.

Do not touch them, but instead build your own.

Shell out for the codex, go to http://www.the-waaagh.com, search through the forums and have fun.

Captain Micha
10-02-2007, 13:18
*L* I have the same exact urge after finding out that there are infact no new swooping hawk minis.. I'm just waiting for the new ork codex

also something screams hilarious about stopping a warscythe cold in its damaging tracks thanks to my "force fields" lol

Kjell
10-02-2007, 13:26
I'd buy a box of orks if the plastics weren't so gorilla-backed. That's about the only thing I prefer in the old ork models; they at least look like alien soldiers, not shaven apes.

Time will tell if the next batch of plastic orks look any better. :p At least the kommandos seem to point in the right direction...

Josiah
10-02-2007, 14:12
Orks are a lot of fun. The look your opponent gives you when you do the ork dance after actually hitting something by shooting is always funny to see...

Of course, I rarely win my games, but they are still a lot of fun.

Murphey
11-02-2007, 05:48
Orks are a lot of fun. The look your opponent gives you when you do the ork dance after actually hitting something by shooting is always funny to see...

Actually, I had a chance to playtest my ork army today. It was pretty fun. I had one ork unit wipe out 7 Khorne berserker with shooting alone. (gotta love Blasta)

also something screams hilarious about stopping a warscythe cold in its damaging tracks thanks to my "force fields" lol

Actually, Kustome Force Fields are not usable in CC :(

I personally think they should be, but sadly they only work against shooting.

That being said, its fun to have all shots against my vehicles be hull down ;)

Grimshawl
11-02-2007, 06:15
I'd say wait, I also hate the Gorrilla look of the plastic orks and their truks are probably the worst vehicle model in the entire game, most of the other ork vehicles are pretty sad too, maybe if GW gets their asses in gear and releases the new ork vehicles you'll actually have something worthwhile to buy from them. The codex is old and while its not the worst it certainly is one of the weakest.

Warboss Grimmtoof
11-02-2007, 06:17
Hehe, I love me orkies. They may not be very good, but they have ways of surprising you. I beat the movie marines with them, largely in part to a grot passing an invulnerable save from a KFF TWICE against the uber lascannon of doom.:D But it is kind of annoying with GW saying "orks are okay, you just need a lot of them!" when devistators are taking down 2-3 squads of 30 a turn and your like (in this order) :confused: :wtf: and lastly,:cries: the crying comes in bed when you realise you paid you college savings on 6 squads...

Murphey
11-02-2007, 06:36
Yeah, the overall point cost vs. effectivness of the orks is pretty weak in my opinion.

They have some really cool possible builds, but in general having an I2 Close Combat unit, with worse str than a space marine, and no special movement modes, AND the worse armor in the game, for 2/3s the cost of a space marine is pretty shoddy.

Honestly, most things the orks can pull off, Khorne can do far better for cheaper.

That being said, I love Burnas, KJ blastas, and zapp gunz.
All pretty much some of my favorite weapons in the game.

mkerr
11-02-2007, 06:47
So tell me, should I go for it, and risk the ultimate nerfage of my army shortly after completion? Or should I obstain, and wait for the new codex?

I started painting an Ork army about a year ago (I still have 160 left to paint...). I started them mostly to try out a new paiting technique, but I'm slowly building an army.

I have no intention of playing them until the new Codex comes out though. Sure, it's fun to talk funny and say "WAAAGH!" from time to time, but it's really hard to win outside of CoD and pushing 110+ models gets old really fast.

The real question I have is what can they give Orks that Tyranids can't already do better and cheaper and faster? Their role as the "T4 A2 assault army" has been completely overwhelmed by the Nids.

Rending > Choppa
Fleet of Claw and Synapse > WAAAGH!
Carnifexs > Kanz
GunFexes > Gun Batteries
BS3 > BS2
etc.

So what are they going to do to distiguish Orks from Nids? What new place are they going to carve out for the green skins?

Maybe they'll do something innovative like allow Orks to mob up (or split up) in anyway they want voluntarily. So need a big mob to fight some fearless humies? Join some units together to outnumber them. Need more scoring units? Each Nob with a Boss Pole can split off and take as many Boyz as he wants.

I've also like the idea of Orks filling any unused Troops slots with Gretchin for free.:D

Murphey
11-02-2007, 06:52
Theres a few things which I've seen orks do better than tyranids in many ways.

One of the most obvious, is that orks can dish out about 70+ ap2 attacks a shooting phase, while at best the tyrands can do 5.

Granted, the tyranid ap2 attacks have a better range, str, and BS. But the Ork ones cannot be countered by psychic hoods/collars of Khorne, and throwing that many Terminator killing attacks in one shooting phase with the orks is just fun.

Esspecially when you look at your opponents face when you do it ;)

mkerr
11-02-2007, 07:13
[QUOTE=Murphey;1289807]One of the most obvious, is that orks can dish out about 70+ ap2 attacks a shooting phase, while at best the tyrands can do 5. [/quote}

Are you talking about Rokkit Launchas? They're AP3, but I see what you are saying. It's true that you can squeeze in lots of BS2 24" Rokkits. But I certainly hope that's not what distiguishes the Orks from the Nids. The Orks are supposed to be an assault army, but they are far below the Nids and Chaos Marines in that arena.

Murphey
11-02-2007, 07:26
Actually Im refering to Flash Gitz with Blasta upgrades, and Warboss Nobz with Blasta upgrades as well.

Put them in an open topped vehicle, run the thing into a mob of termies, and unload.

Watch em all drop.

You can have 20 flash gitz (40 shots), 10 nobs (20 shots), 6 zapp gunz (6 shots), Zapp gun on battle wagon (1 shot), mekboyz w/ blasta (4+ shots)

Sure, your cooking your own guys like bacon, but when your dropping it on termies, or even just normal space marines, your doing some major damage.

Kelpi
11-02-2007, 08:07
[QUOTE=Murphey;1289807]One of the most obvious, is that orks can dish out about 70+ ap2 attacks a shooting phase, while at best the tyrands can do 5. [/quote}

Are you talking about Rokkit Launchas? They're AP3, but I see what you are saying. It's true that you can squeeze in lots of BS2 24" Rokkits. But I certainly hope that's not what distiguishes the Orks from the Nids. The Orks are supposed to be an assault army, but they are far below the Nids and Chaos Marines in that arena.

There is the a "blasta" upgraded Flash Gitz squad but thats only a 6" range and "gets hot" will take down a fair % of your boyz.

Murphey
11-02-2007, 08:15
[QUOTE=mkerr;1289835]

There is the a "blasta" upgraded Flash Gitz squad but thats only a 6" range and "gets hot" will take down a fair % of your boyz.

Yup, the upside being that if your fighting just normal space marines/armor 3+, then you can fire at up to 12 inches and still be good.

The end result being, that Tyranid's ranged weapon AP is abhorent in the extreme, where the orks can actually get some really good AP shots off.

More than any other army I know of.

Rhinosaur
11-02-2007, 09:25
Actually to quote the codex (I beleive thats where it is) Orks never lose.
"If we win we win"
"If we run away we can fight again tommorrow"
"If we die then we're dead. And that don't count"

I believe they are one of the most fun armies to play. I love converting stuff. All the vehicle in my army began life as something other than a GW product.

Colonial Rifle
11-02-2007, 09:37
Not sure if Orks are at the bottom of the power curve (I'd rate DE and Deamon hunters as worse basic lists), but they're difficult to use consistently well and therefore are pitched towards the veteran gamer.

Don't take my word for it, go to Waaargh.com and talked to the skarboys on there. Those boyz win alot of their games, particularly against beakies. Also Orks CAN own Nids with an investment in dakka, skorchas and powerklaws.