PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Armoured Brigade - not big and not clever

Hermanesq
10-02-2007, 20:27
Ok,

So i suck at WFB, really, really suck, so bad that ive had two wins in 14 years of trying, both against 12 year old kids. SO I'm think of doing an army, again, abit hit or miss prehaps, maybe it'll lose me any respect from my mates, and definatly beatable. But it'll be good fun to paint and play with for a while at least, most of it is selected via models I like and want to paint, since enjoying it is the aim, rather than creating an all winning combat monster of an army.

So...

2000 point Empire

Lord - Kurt Helborg

Heroes - Ludwig Shwatzhelm
- Warrior Priest, Horse, Barding, Great Weapon, Shield

Core - 9 Reiksguard Knights, Champion, Standard, Musician (Led by Kurt)
- 9 Knights of the Blazing Sun, Champ, Stan, Musician (Led by Ludwig)
- 9 Knights of Father Sigmar, Chp, Stan, Mus (Led by Warrior Priest)

Rare - Steam Tank
- Steam Tank

1996 points

And thats it, a grand total of 32 models, definatly beatable, but potentially devestating if I occassionally get lucky *it's gotta happen sooner or later, one day it will*

Chris W

Jack of Blades
10-02-2007, 20:33
First, if these are the kinds of lists you design, I can understand that youve only won twice in 14 years to people 2 years under my age after the First of March has passed. Second, its good that youve chosen the army 'cause you like it.

Ok,

So i suck at WFB, really, really suck, so bad that ive had two wins in 14 years of trying, both against 12 year old kids. SO I'm think of doing an army, again, abit hit or miss prehaps, maybe it'll lose me any respect from my mates, and definatly beatable. But it'll be good fun to paint and play with for a while at least, most of it is selected via models I like and want to paint, since enjoying it is the aim, rather than creating an all winning combat monster of an army.

So...

2000 point Empire

Lord - Kurt Helborg

*** I hate SP's, but if you want the damn thing, sure, get it.

Heroes - Ludwig Shwatzhelm

*** Read above.

- Warrior Priest, Horse, Barding, Great Weapon, Shield

*** No further equipment...? This is really basic.

Core - 9 Reiksguard Knights, Champion, Standard, Musician (Led by Kurt)
- 9 Knights of the Blazing Sun, Champ, Stan, Musician (Led by Ludwig)
- 9 Knights of Father Sigmar, Chp, Stan, Mus (Led by Warrior Priest)

Err... not much to say. You like them... so keep them.

Rare - Steam Tank
- Steam Tank

These arent as powerful as they used to be, but if you like them, keep them.

1996 points

And thats it, a grand total of 32 models, definatly beatable, but potentially devestating if I occassionally get lucky *it's gotta happen sooner or later, one day it will*

Chris W

Ok, im gonna be honest. This army will get rolled in like a Baguette and eaten alive. But since you like it and all, I fail to see the point on commenting it. What exactly did you want?

Hermanesq
10-02-2007, 21:50
Well,

thats actually a ood question, and I sat here a couple of minutes thinking about my reasons, and think I have it down.

- The army is an exercise in me building, painting and gaming with an army that I enjoy, and actually finishing it for a change. I have a problem finishing armies, so getting one completed for a change hopefully might kickstart my interest in WFB more than its at atm. (Im a 40ker first, Lotr second, and WFB a far way behind)

- Im not actually fussed about the winning/loosing side of it, but see learning to use an army to its full potential, no matter what its 'make up' is a better achievement than simple building a cookie cutter army thats no fun to use or play against. I play Thousand Sons and Deathwing armies in 40k, I know adversity in model allowance/selection, lol

- But if I can win a few games along the way, all the better, any hints and tips on that side of things, would be most welcome.

- Its a starting point army, quick to paint, great looking if done right, and it means I can actually get playing games more often. With a couple of games under my belt, then I can start looking to change things around, try new bits and pieces and find a direction that suits my playing style and more importantly, looks cool alongside rank upon rank of knights. ;-)

Chris W

*oh, and finally, and clincher for me. It's one of those 'pub' ideas, the ones you come up with after a few pints, and someone says, 'you know what would be cool... if you did this, this and this...'

Unfortunatly, I was sober enough to remember it... lol*

Gn0b
10-02-2007, 23:56
Well...thats alot of eggs in one basket...How much do you characters cost? I just thought I would point out that it seems like you may have miscalculated, cause that does not look like it could possibly be 2k pts...

Also, smart idea to make them around how you like to paint/build. I am a horde person,(Gnoblar armies!) and I will never finish painting my models, ever.

Anyway thats all I have to say, good luck with your "Basket" army.:D

Baindread
11-02-2007, 01:07
That army is 1696 points, 304 points to go.

And can you please explain why this army would be a bad choice?

druchii
11-02-2007, 09:46
That army is 1696 points, 304 points to go.

And can you please explain why this army would be a bad choice?

Because it has three units. In a point limit that usually features anywhere from 7 to 9.

I just think It'll get smashed :(

Cool idea, no doubt, but if you want to do an all knight army, why not Bretonnians?

d

Jack of Blades
11-02-2007, 11:22
Because it has three units. In a point limit that usually features anywhere from 7 to 9.

I just think It'll get smashed :(

Cool idea, no doubt, but if you want to do an all knight army, why not Bretonnians?

d

I think its because of the Stanks.

Gimp
11-02-2007, 11:30
This list would do well against small but tough armies like Chaos, Orge Kingdoms, Dark Elves, High Elves and suarus based lizardmen army.

However agianst large armies like Orcs & Goblins, Skink based Lizardmen army and Skaven this army would really battle.

On another note this army is REALLY brittle and unforgiving.

Make one mistake or ill-judgement and its doomed.

Wings of Doom
11-02-2007, 11:59
Use those remaining 300 points to get some pistoliers to cover your flanks or another warrior priest for the dispel die (or both if you can fit them in). Both fit this army and both will add to it a great deal.

It is a weak list in that is cannot cope with large amounts of magic or anything that can outmanouver it. It's hard and fast, but against any kind of flying circus you'll suffer greatly, and heavy magic users will dominate you completely. Also, you have little to protect you from missile fire- bolt throwers will really hurt you, as will cannons and blackpowder weapons.
It's a list that will require more mishaps on any opponents half than any skill on yours.

Hermanesq
11-02-2007, 23:28
There is 2 steam tanks in there, which will account for the 'missing' 300 points.

I've got my first game with it on tuesday, against my store managers Tomb Kings, and from the look on the face, he's actually quite worried about it, not even my rep for being a terrible wfb player is giving him any confidence.

I'm also nabbing the two steam tanks off fellow staffers, just so i dont have to fork out on them, to descover they just don't work for me.

I know roughly what his army is, somethign along the lines of Tomb Guard, big unit of skelies, 2 units of archers, screaming skull catapult, some usbati and some chariots, plus the usual assortment of characters.

I've played it before using a chaos army, and pushed him significantly closer than he was expecting. Tuesday will be make or break, and hopefully push him even closer.

I'm thinkinng the catapult, usbati and of course magic is the three elements i need to watch for, fingers crossed though, I can smash my way through the usbati with Kurt's unit, beating them with combar res.

The rest I guess, is just blind luck and weathering the storm.

Still, barrelling across the battlefield into the face of the enemy is a visually poetic thing, if not the best of plans....

Chris