PDA

View Full Version : Quick AI build session log

mattjgilbert
11-02-2007, 01:04
OK so our first planes arrived so I thought I'd do a quick run-through of our (wolflord havoc and myself) Saturday night building session.

First issue: I ordered 6 ork fightas and 4 orc fighta-bommers. The labels on the packets and the invoice say exactly that. Trouble is every single packet contains 2 fighta-bommers! So I have ten of them. Nice. I decided to only put the 4 together for now.
wolflord havoc (WLH) ordered 4 hell talons and 6 hell blades. each packet of hell blades contained 3 models and only 2 bases...

...phone call to FW on Monday methinks....

Our work area:
So, we started by trimming and cleaning up all the various bits. The chaos craft are single pieces so WLH had loads to do :rolleyes: The pieces were then all washed in warm soapy (washing up liquid) water and lightly brushed with an old toothbrush. One ork tail fin and quite a few of the chaos fighters were warped but a dunk in warm water and some gentle manipulation soon fixed that.

The plan for all our planes is to use rare-earth magnets (3mm x 1mm) to connect them to the stems. This means they are easy to transport and any plane can attach to any base. While the bits were drying off, we each cut the tops off the clear plastic flying stems and super-glued a magnet onto the top of each one (make sure they are all the same way up!)

For the planes, turn each one upside don and located the socket for the plastic stem:
Then using a 3mm bit, drill out the hole deep enough to take a magnet:
Drop superglue into the hole and drop a magnet on top of one of the now magnetic stems (this ensures you get them round the right way! Align the hole with the magnet and apply downward force to push it into the hole. Slide the plane off carefully so the magnet comes too:
Once dry (superglue dries really fast on resin), the plane will simply clip on or off the stand:
Here are some drilled and magnet filled chaos fighters:
Once all the magnets were done, the rest of the parts were glued into place:
We will post more once painted up :D

Jerkface
11-02-2007, 01:52
Nice job, I'd be scared as hell drilling into expensive, tiny, resin models.

Spacker
11-02-2007, 07:17
Drilling them isn't too bad. I don't have a pin vice, only a dremel. So far I've had only accident - lost grip on a Lightning at 1000rpm and had it shoot across the kitchen, luckily I found all 5 pieces of it (I'd glued the wings on which were torn off, and the tailfins broke off, luckily I hadn't glued all the hellstrikes on :p) All the rest of the drilling has been fine, 1 slip out of 23 drillings isn't too bad.

mattjgilbert
11-02-2007, 09:52
The resin drills very easily. I'm not sure I'd want to do it with a dremmel though! but it sounds like it is more than possible. One or two twists of the bit is enough to create the hole - remember, the magnet is only 1mm deep and you already have a "pilot" hole to work from.

Spacker
11-02-2007, 10:20
Depends on the aircraft - Lightnings, Marauder Destroyers, Nightwings, Valkyries, and Thunderhawk have no hole whatsoever (not sure about other aircraft I haven't bought yet). It's definitely possible - I've just drilled 2 Nightwings and 2 Phoenix this morning (the holes on the Phoenix aren't very deep, and I wanted to make one have a bank and dive pose).

Hellebore
11-02-2007, 13:57
Magnets on stems! Great idea. I think I'll use it for all my jetbikes as well. :D

hellebore

DaCone2
11-02-2007, 14:03
Where did you get the magnets from? I was thinking of doing something similar with mine.

mageboltrat
11-02-2007, 14:38
I get mine from www.shop4tools.co.uk

Spacker
11-02-2007, 15:20
I get mine from www.shop4tools.co.uk

Thanks for that link, I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to RapidOnline for ages. Those 3mm x 1mm magnets are 1/3 the price of what I've been paying for them ...

mattjgilbert
11-02-2007, 18:27
I got mine from http://www.uk-magnet.com/

Greblord
11-02-2007, 18:32
Thanks for the link - I've just ordered some magnets :)

Tyra_Nid
12-02-2007, 00:30
The only thing I dont like about using magnets is that the planes swing direction if you knock them :(

Chaos and Evil
12-02-2007, 00:36
I hope you're using proper breath masks etc.

mageboltrat
12-02-2007, 00:42
The only thing I dont like about using magnets is that the planes swing direction if you knock them :(

My SG metal fighters do this a bit. But when playing I hardly notice. The base is the important thing, so you can just straighten the models when you finish your move. The resin are so light I've hardly noticed any swing.

Just finished converting one of my fighters, It's now dragging a bomb made from a 40K IG mortar by 2 cables connected to the wings and has 2 big Autocannons strapped onto the undercarriage.

Wolflord Havoc
12-02-2007, 09:05

Of course but only after a 30 minute health and safety lecture about the dangers of super glue and sharp knives :rolleyes:

mattjgilbert
12-02-2007, 09:19
The only thing I dont like about using magnets is that the planes swing direction if you knock them :(Not seen that problem (probably the light weight of the resin as mageboltrat says); the magnets are pretty strong. Any possible disadvantage like that is countered by the increased survivability of the models in transit/storage now they are not glued to the bases.

I hope you're using proper breath masks etc.With the odd spot of super glue? :confused:

Wolflord Havoc
12-02-2007, 09:20
One top 'Magnet' tip I discovered is to 'not' put the magnets in upside down. :cries:

Okay this only happened once but it was still annoying. :mad:

The method of 'quality control' I came up with was to place the magnet intended for the AC (Aircraft) on top of the magnet already glued to the top of the stem.

This ensures that the magnet is in the right...polarity(?)...hmm..anyway put some super glue into the 'drilled hole' of the AC and then place the model onto the 2nd magnet and.....sort of shear it apart quickly.

Also it is worth noting that all the magnets on the stems were the same way around and were not glued into the bases for ease of transport.

Tyra_nid wrote

The only thing I dont like about using magnets is that the planes swing direction if you knock them

Ah but I also find that the base stays in the right position meaning that all you have to do is re-angle the AC rather than the whole model+base moving.

Spacker
12-02-2007, 13:15

I drill in a well-ventilated area with a mask over my nose and mouth, and hold my breath while drilling just in case :P

Asmith
12-02-2007, 15:35
A suggestions and comment:

1) If you only use one magnet and use something like the head of a nail for the other side of the joint, you don't have to worry about polarity.

2) Why on earth would you ever need a facemask while drilling something? Drilling makes chips, not fine airborne particulate like sanding or spraypainting. Glasses yes, facemask no. If you are worried about fumes from melting resin, that will pass through your facemask anyway. Could someone explain the reasoning for this?

ml2sjw
12-02-2007, 15:47
very small chips are known as "dust" which is very easy to breath in

Asmith
12-02-2007, 15:51
The only materials I can think of that makes dust when you drill it is plaster or concrete, certainly not plastic or metal. But hey if you guys want to unnecessarily wear a facemask I'm not going to stop you. Safety first.

Hodge
12-02-2007, 16:23
The only materials I can think of that makes dust when you drill it is plaster or concrete, certainly not plastic or metal. But hey if you guys want to unnecessarily wear a facemask I'm not going to stop you. Safety first.

...and...erm...asbestos...

Spacker
12-02-2007, 19:02
2) Why on earth would you ever need a facemask while drilling something? Drilling makes chips, not fine airborne particulate like sanding or spraypainting. Glasses yes, facemask no. If you are worried about fumes from melting resin, that will pass through your facemask anyway. Could someone explain the reasoning for this?

Have you drilled FW models? You get shavings, and a fine dust. The resin breaks up into small particles as it's being drilled. It's just like drilling wood - you always end with a small amount of fine sawdust as well as the large curled shavings.

Dan

mageboltrat
12-02-2007, 19:02
The method of 'quality control' I came up with was to place the magnet intended for the AC (Aircraft) on top of the magnet already glued to the top of the stem.

This ensures that the magnet is in the right...polarity(?)...hmm..anyway put some super glue into the 'drilled hole' of the AC and then place the model onto the 2nd magnet and.....sort of shear it apart quickly.

I normally put a small dob of green stuff on top of the second magnet and then cover it in super glue, it gives a stronger join.

Asmith
12-02-2007, 20:18
@ spacker - yes I have... I would never use a motorized drill on FW stuff because of the expense, but thematerial is no different than any other casting resin I've worked with. It sounds like an overabundance of caution to use a facemask while drilling, tapping, or milling these type of materials (wood included). Sanding or anything else where you are making an airborne powder? fair enough ...

mattjgilbert
12-02-2007, 20:25
No-one used a face-mask! I don't intend to either. I'm making one or two turns with a pin-vice by hand. Hardly cause for concern...

Oh and I phoned FW - they are sending the two missing bases and the 6 missing ork fightas. I can keep all 10 fighta-bommers :D Yay, free stuff!

FW and GW customer service rocks.

Spacker
12-02-2007, 20:33
@ spacker - yes I have... I would never use a motorized drill on FW stuff because of the expense, but thematerial is no different than any other casting resin I've worked with. It sounds like an overabundance of caution to use a facemask while drilling, tapping, or milling these type of materials (wood included). Sanding or anything else where you are making an airborne powder? fair enough ...

I only ever use a mask with FW resin models (not with wood etc). The resin particles are as bad as asbestos. I'd rather wear a mask than risk breathing in the particles that are being chucked out.

Asmith
12-02-2007, 20:44
@ mattjgilbert - can't beat that, 6 free planes! if only I could get so "unlucky"

@ spacker - Really? Where did you learn that from? I don't think they would be allowed to sell it if that were proven. This has me curious, does anyone have the MSDS for the forgeworld resin?

Spacker
12-02-2007, 20:57
@ spacker - Really? Where did you learn that from? I don't think they would be allowed to sell it if that were proven. This has me curious, does anyone have the MSDS for the forgeworld resin?

It's definitely harmful, quote from http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/fw_faq.htm :

Note: Resin dust can be harmful if inhaled. Always wear a dust mask or respirator when sanding or sawing resin parts.

I must admit that by saying it was like asbestos I was overstating things. Asbestos is much worse as my father will atest too after spending years working with the stuff in shipbuilding and having been diagnosed last year as having lung problems because of it.

Asmith
12-02-2007, 21:05
To be fair any non biodegradable fine dust can be harmful if inhaled, sounds more like the standard fine print really ...

Too bad about your dad... I can see why you are so cautious.

Edit: in the "working with resin models" section on the FW site they give a more accurate description I think:

"Dust Mask

When filing or sanding resin components please make sure to wear a face mask. Like any fine dust, breathing resin dust is not particularly good for you."

Slekith
12-02-2007, 21:54
Nice technique. Sadly, Lightnings, Marauders and Valkiries do not come with a hole :( so you'll need to carve it.

Brimstone
12-02-2007, 21:57
Guy's please keep the discussion AI focussed or I'll move it to the P&T forum.