1 Bolt Thrower:70
Engineer,Ro Reloading

Total:2000

Can swap Miners for Ironbreakers or Slayers as below:

20 Ironbreakers:298
Hand Weapon,Gromril Armour,SMC,Shield,Ancestor Rune

10 Giant Slayers:278
Slayer Axes,SM
(With spare points-Ro Warding on Runemith(20))

SMC:Standard,Musician,Champion

DLord
12-02-2007, 17:30
So any vet dwarf players out there want to comment? I haven't purchased the army yet, but it is what i'm planning on getting so opinions would be great. Just to make sure i'm not making a grave mistake.(i wish i had an undead army to say that for ;) )

The Temenian
12-02-2007, 22:55
first of all remove the rune of reloading, and rune of fortune on the cannon with a rune of forging

also remove the rune of reloading from the Bolt throwers, and use these points for shields on the thunderers, 4+ combat can be useful

swap the miners for the ironbreakers

i usually remove the veterans from my units for points to spend in other areas, but thats personal preference

eleveninches
13-02-2007, 07:33
give one unit the rune of battle

Teach
13-02-2007, 08:11
A thane with the rune of brotherhood instead of the master engineer would be fun any more use for your charakters. Ofcoure, an engineer with boltthrower. but you still have a slot open for heroes. A rune of penetrating (+1st) on the boltthrower is a must against warmachines (and ranked units)!
I would rather use 15 miners and 5 (or more) slayers. good luck

eleveninches
13-02-2007, 08:37
a good slayer combo for charachter killing if you can make it into combat alive (though might be slightly expensive):

179 points: Dragonslayer (vampire slayer, master rune of skalf blackhammer)
master rune of skalf blackhammer: always wounds on 2+
vampireslayer: against enemies of T5 or greater, each unsaved wound becomes D6 wounds

maybe replace your lord with a thane and use the following as a lord choice. he is an awesome heavy-infantry killer, though slightly expensive for the lack of protection on him:

360 points: Daemonslayer (skavenslayer, deathblow, master rune of smiting, rune of snorri spangelhelm)
skavenslayer: attacks are multiplied by number of enemies in base combat (max of ten)
deathblow: if killed, slayer can make all attacks before being removed, even if he has already attacked that turn
master rune of smiting: each unsaved wound causes D6 wounds
rune of snorri spangelhelm: +1 to hit

DLord
13-02-2007, 16:42
first of all remove the rune of reloading, and rune of fortune on the cannon with a rune of forging

also remove the rune of reloading from the Bolt throwers, and use these points for shields on the thunderers, 4+ combat can be useful

swap the miners for the ironbreakers

i usually remove the veterans from my units for points to spend in other areas, but thats personal preference

whats wrong with rune of reloading? for 10pts its great value

thunderers only have light armour so with shield would be 5+

that extra attack in the front for vets is handy i think

A thane with the rune of brotherhood instead of the master engineer would be fun any more use for your charakters. Ofcoure, an engineer with boltthrower. but you still have a slot open for heroes. A rune of penetrating (+1st) on the boltthrower is a must against warmachines (and ranked units)!
I would rather use 15 miners and 5 (or more) slayers. good luck

i have a Master engineer with 1 bolt thrower. You dont need to use all character slots - i prefer troops ;)

Ro Penetrating sounds good though

a good slayer combo for charachter killing if you can make it into combat alive (though might be slightly expensive):

179 points: Dragonslayer (vampire slayer, master rune of skalf blackhammer)
master rune of skalf blackhammer: always wounds on 2+
vampireslayer: against enemies of T5 or greater, each unsaved wound becomes D6 wounds

maybe replace your lord with a thane and use the following as a lord choice. he is an awesome heavy-infantry killer, though slightly expensive for the lack of protection on him:

360 points: Daemonslayer (skavenslayer, deathblow, master rune of smiting, rune of snorri spangelhelm)
skavenslayer: attacks are multiplied by number of enemies in base combat (max of ten)
deathblow: if killed, slayer can make all attacks before being removed, even if he has already attacked that turn
master rune of smiting: each unsaved wound causes D6 wounds
rune of snorri spangelhelm: +1 to hit

I'm not a huge fan of slayer characters, i prefer engineer style throngs and 360 for the lord is way too much for 2k!

Thanks for advice

eleveninches
14-02-2007, 07:47
Yeah, he is a bit much for a charachter with no armour, but put him into a slayer unit, and then if they make it into combat, they can beat just about anything. Maybe jsut take the dragonslayer-skavenslayer combo mentionned

pipe
15-02-2007, 14:07
altho the tunderers have light armour, the shild confers them the +1 armours save of hand weapond an shield in close combat so it would be 5+ against missiles and 4+ in close combat...

also i think thath the conbination of rune of forging and ruen of reloading is a good option.

i also dont like slayers (any shot at them takes them out no armour save altho they have To 4... and their not fast so an experienced player gives them a sistematical shoot>die:skull: treatment (and if you hide them of Los then you problably will have the out of fight too so they would be a loss of points... so they dont get really the chance of fighting... thath my experience at least..)

Cloud Strife
15-02-2007, 14:14
Personally I would look into getting a Great Weapon on the Dwarf Lord - okay you can't strike first, but you will do a lot more damage with it, as I've just never found Swiftness to be good unless you have some strength enhancers or are a Slayer, oh and its easier to use the Alaric model.

As stated before get some shields for your Thunderers as it makes them a little more resilient vs other shooting and magic and a 4+ save in combat is a lifesaver.

Personal opinion here but I would drop the Miners for the Ironbreakers as I've yet to be impressed by Miners without the Anvil.

For 130 points you get the Cannon with Rune of Forging and Rune of Burning which is far better than the Runes of Reloading and Fortune as you will only misfire on very rare occasions and as an added bonus you can re-roll misfires on the cannonball bounce meaning that with good guessing you should hit every time (please note this is not a guarantee and if you don't hit every time then go consult your local Longbeard on why you aren't as good as the Engineers back in their day;) )

Bolt Throwers again don't really need the Rune of Reloading as they won't misfire and will only be slowed if you lose too many to shooting/magic and you have better targets than things which effectively have a 3+ ward save. Would seriously recommend trying to get the points to put a Penetrating Rune on both Bolt Throwers as it makes life a lot easier when it comes to dealing with Chariots and gives you higher chance of killing entire ranks of Knights with flank shots.

DLord
15-02-2007, 18:05
But remember Ro Reloading lets you shoot every turn even with only one crewman as well as after a missfire. I will put penetrating on the bolt throwers though.

I have the miners as a bit of a 'mix things up unit' for friendly games, but i will have ironbreakers and slayers ready to swap depending on circumstances.

I forgot having hand weapon and shield give extra save. thats good to know!