PDA

View Full Version : Magic in 1k

Naxeur
12-02-2007, 01:31
I wrote out my 1k army, but have no sorcerers. Magic is not really crippling in a 1k game usually, is it? I am planning on adding one for 1500 list, but wanted to get a good troop base. Thoughts?

Alathir
12-02-2007, 01:35
Yeah, they arent exactly necessary... any spells that do get off shouldn't be too devastating anyway... I dont field any damsels in my 1k bretonnians and I do fine.

Stormbrow II
12-02-2007, 01:52
It's very unlikely that you'll see the mightiest spells being cast as players are limited to level 2 mages making it too unreliable to cast 11+ spells regularly. You should be fine not having one for a while, just as long as you focus on taking out his Sorcerers asap because some of those magic missiles ignore armour and that can be painful.

spikedog
12-02-2007, 02:00
Depends who you play against really.

If you were to play against a Vampire Counts army then you may be in for some pain, even in 1k I take at least 2 level 2 Necromancers. Most armies take between 1-2 levels in 1k so with your 2 army dispel dice you should be able to stop most low level stuff.

blahblahblah
12-02-2007, 04:18
I'd bring a level 1 probably for most armies, not so much be cause they're necessary, but just to help out against slightly more magic oriented armies(like VC or TK)

athamas
12-02-2007, 04:32
well if it was Night Goblins, i would be taking 3, simply because they are the only heros worth taking... [and they are cheap]

but generally you can get away without any magic support if you have abit of reduncancey in your units to take the odd hit,

the only thing to watch out for is the 2D6 damadge spells, as they can be quite nasty..

Tutore
12-02-2007, 11:04
You can live without wizards in 1000 points, tough you will suffer against some armies: tomb kings, vampire counts, high elves, perhaps even goblins. You must get to CC quickly, or you will be blasted. Or, you can use war machines to blast the mages instead.

xiau
12-02-2007, 11:35
maybe just take a standard level 1 with two scrolls? simply for the defence?

zak
12-02-2007, 12:01
Magic can still play a large part in 1000 point battles and neglecting your magical defence may spell (no pun intended) your downfall. The Bretonnian player is able to get around this by being so fast. Most games the opposing spellcaster will get maybe one or two turns before their units are hit by the Bret Lances.

Dspankdo
12-02-2007, 12:17
I generally take at least 1 mage as I play against undead regularly. There are no other ormies out there though that I would worry about concerning magic, I think HE/DE would be the notable exeptions.

TKitch
12-02-2007, 12:23
In many armies taking more than 2 L2's (Even if you're trying to go magic heavy) would be very pricey points-wise in a 1K game. I Mean, you're usually going to spend at least 100 points a mage, probably more, and then it'll be more than a third of your total points on 3 mages. That'll limit you rather severrely on other choices.