PDA

View Full Version : Army Case and Movement Trays

Naxeur
12-02-2007, 01:33
What army carriers do people like for their armies, think Chaos Army sized.

Also where is a good place to get movement trays for 25mm bases that are 5 wide? The GW ones don't fit.

Vattendroppe
12-02-2007, 06:12
I have just one thing to say; make by yourself! Easy and looks nice, always fits perfectly!

Reflex
12-02-2007, 06:15
yeah its damn annoying that they decided to make ranks 5 wide, yet they sell most basic troops not only in boxes of 16 but movement trays dont arnt friendly to the 25mm base...

Adept
12-02-2007, 07:47
For army cases, I think I'm leaning towards the Intersponge transports for smaller armies.

I have a Battalion Pack Armytransport by Sabol, and while I am happy with it, I would prefer a few other features for such a large transport like a steel frame and the ability to unzip the front of the pack.

Irakaz
12-02-2007, 10:47
For movement trays, I just use the standard GW ones (non-textured) and some custom built ones made out of wood. For transport I use the GW cases and an assortment of plastic containers for giants/chariots/etc.

Tutore
12-02-2007, 10:54
For movement trays I use the standard green GW ones for some troops and other hand made for other troops (cavalry, goblins...). For transport I have poor boxes...which donīt always save the minis.

jazzdude78
12-02-2007, 11:30
http://www.litkoaero.com/

best option Ive found for buying trays

Iron Buddha
12-02-2007, 11:59
What works really well for movement trays is to take the plastic sprues left over when you put your plastic models together, and cut the corners off then trim down the bumps and glue them to some card (I used cereal boxes), so far I'm the only one I've seen doing this, if you just give them a quick undercoat of black afterwards they look pretty sharp;) .I did this for my entire OK army, now if I could only get it painted.....:cries:

I'll try and post some pictures of my movement trays later.

mattjgilbert
12-02-2007, 13:48
Make your own trays from plasticard. Not too flimsy though, 3mm stuff at least. You can then cut it up to whatever sizes you want. Paint/texture as normal...

Caern
12-02-2007, 14:25
I carry my models in an Army Transport case by Sabol, and have made my own plasticard trays.

TheWarSmith
12-02-2007, 15:36
I don't know where to find them, but GW did make nice square trays that fit 5 25mm models on them. They had edges that looked like terrain.

I got about 8 of them in a pack. They're pretty sweet.

Luke
12-02-2007, 15:44
I have my trays custom laser cut from clear perspex. I field regiments of historical figures between 24 and 32 figures each. GW trays are only good for piddly little bodyguard units

Fred_Scuttle
12-02-2007, 15:50
I don't know where to find them, but GW did make nice square trays that fit 5 25mm models on them. They had edges that looked like terrain.

I got about 8 of them in a pack. They're pretty sweet.

Warsmith - the Textured Trays fit 5x25MM? Are you sure? I saw them in person once and they looked at a glance to only fit 5 x 20MM?

If they DO fit 5x25MM I'll be snapping some up for sure........

*EDIT* - Just went to GW Interweb......NOTHING in their description about their size - trying other info sources....it's 11AM local time - my GW shop does not open till 2PM...

Fred

TheWarSmith
12-02-2007, 15:54
I know they were DEFINATELY bigger than the normal green/gray bases that GW sells. I'll take a look when I get home.

Edit:: Looking at them online makes me think I'm wrong. I'll do a check when I get home.

The boyz
12-02-2007, 17:14
I use a carry case from a company called "Figures in comfort". The case itself gives excellent protection to your miniatures and looks quite stylish too.

I tend to just use GW movement trays, but my armies (Skaven and Dwarves) are only based on 20x20mm bases. I think your best bet and probably the cheapest options is to make your own.

Finn Sourscowl
12-02-2007, 17:27
What works really well for movement trays is to take the plastic sprues left over when you put your plastic models together, and cut the corners off then trim down the bumps and glue them to some card (I used cereal boxes), so far I'm the only one I've seen doing this, if you just give them a quick undercoat of black afterwards they look pretty sharp;) .I did this for my entire OK army, now if I could only get it painted.....:cries:

I'll try and post some pictures of my movement trays later.

You aren't the only one!! :D I saw my old local indi in the north of Sweden doing this and copied him. It works really well, is very quick and once textured, sprayed and painted looks great! I'd definatly recommend it. Of course, for all metal units, it's a bit flimsy, but you could always reinforce it.

For transport, I use custom made fleece pockets (made by my wonderful other half) in shoe boxes... not very conventional, but effective, non-the-less.

Mephistofeles
12-02-2007, 17:28
I use t he GW transport cases, one big and one small, which is enough to contain my army.

For trays I will be buying gw ones and simply gluing them together (one small and one big) to fit my regiments of 30.

Selsaral
12-02-2007, 17:53
I use boxes from work. They are HP/Compaq boxes and come with tremendous amounts of rifle case style foam. Also they come in all shapes and sizes.

I make my own movement trays with 0.80" sheet styrene, balsa wood strips, and black primer.

Keller
12-02-2007, 18:59
I have a few cases from Charon that I am quite happy with. The Delux Skirmish case is able to hold my Empire army when I head out, it's easily 300 models at times. Since I have several armies, they sit on shelves until needed.

bladestalker
14-02-2007, 02:23
What army carriers do people like for their armies, think Chaos Army sized.

Also where is a good place to get movement trays for 25mm bases that are 5 wide? The GW ones don't fit.

I like the one's I make. :)

TheWarSmith
14-02-2007, 02:45
Found out btw that the textured trays are simply DEEPER, so they can hold 4x4 25mm models instead of the previous 4x3.

Bloodknight
14-02-2007, 03:00
MY models are all on magnets so I can just carry them around in a box. I do have a miniatures case for 40K models and some infantry, but as my biggest army are Dogs of War I have to settle with something else. There are just no inlays where pikemen fit in in a sensible way.

bladestalker
14-02-2007, 03:17
try a convoluted (egg crate) style foam. the long pike can lay flat while the figs are also held.

Bloodknight
14-02-2007, 03:22
Iīll try that, thanks. I wouldnīt worry if they were converted pikemen, but I use original Alcatani Fellowship pikemen and you just donīt get these things straight anymore if they get bent.

DarkAngel74
14-02-2007, 03:59
Learn to recycle, instead of spending money on unneed. I found lids of used-up CD cases execllent.

scarletsquig
14-02-2007, 14:44
Learn to recycle, instead of spending money on unneed. I found lids of used-up CD cases execllent.

I use these too.. works perfectly with a bit of trimming, plus I picked up a load of green-tinted ones a while ago - been using them ever since :D