PDA

View Full Version : Kai gun?

blitz589
20-07-2005, 00:15
I wanted to use a kai gun, but i didn't kno how to represent one, should i just use a regular bolter?

Gecko
20-07-2005, 00:22
What you could do is just simply use a weapon from a different race. Some tau gun could look appropriate, or even something like a tyranid deathspitter (if it is on a deamon prince)... a there are tonns of options.

Strikerkc
20-07-2005, 00:32
It's a very large powerfull bolter. Basicaly just use your imagination. Although just a regular bolter would not look apropriate to most people. Perhaps a regular bolter with a giant drum mag, an extended barel, and a bunch of wirse running from it to his back pack, would be much more acceptable :).

Alco Engineer
20-07-2005, 00:41
Or on a daemon prince a hand held heavy bolter would look about right too.

Nurgling Chieftain
20-07-2005, 00:49
I converted a heavy bolter to have its ammo feed plugged into the wielder's skull.

sigur
20-07-2005, 01:30
looks like blitz is back.

I'd also go for a heavy Bolter convertion. Nurgling Chieftain's idea must look pretty good, but I also could imaging the ammo feed coming out of it's arm or whatever if a cable/belt coming out of the DP's head is too much of an efford to convert for you.

jazzdude78
20-07-2005, 01:32
you could also use an autocannon if you want a longer barrel
or get a burst cannon from the devilfish uh lower turret

Kensai X
20-07-2005, 01:51
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a Kai Gun?

Puffin Magician
20-07-2005, 02:15
A Kai Gun is a monstrous bolter-type weapon available to Chaos Space Marine HQ choices. It has stats similar to a Starcannon and counts as Daemonic Wargear [though not a Daemon Weapon].

I'd use a Heavy Bolter or chaotic combination of Heavy Stubber, Assault Cannon & Autocannon bitz to portray it in-game.

Strikerkc
20-07-2005, 02:18
A Kai Gun is a monstrous bolter-type weapon available to Chaos Space Marine HQ choices. It has stats similar to a Starcannon and counts as Daemonic Wargear [though not a Daemon Weapon].

It is actualy a deamon weapon, you have to take the leadership with kills and everything.

Captain Stuart
20-07-2005, 02:26
Take a plastic heavy bolter. Replace the end of the barrel with the "dragon head" from the chaos vehicle sprue. Remove the ammo clip and replace with the grenade launcher ammo feed. It is simple yet good.

I like the idea of the heavy bolter interlinked with a helmet/skull tooo. Do you have any pictures?

Puffin Magician
20-07-2005, 02:32
It is actualy a deamon weapon, you have to take the leadership with kills and everything
Really? Well that... sucks.

Still, I like the weapon as it directs attention away from the far-too-common Assault-oriented HQ unit. And Ap3... woohoo!

Edit: apparantly at 4:30am and without looking in a Codex, I'm not a reliable source for 40k rules info!

xenopsyllus
20-07-2005, 03:22
And Ap2... woohoo!Um, Kai gun is AP 3. ;)

blitz589
20-07-2005, 03:22
I like the weapon as it directs attention away from the far-too-common Assault-oriented HQ unit. And Ap2... woohoo!
Its ap3, but for 25 pts, it should get atleast 3 turns of shooting off before he dies.

looks like blitz is back.
I wasn't aware i left.

Alco Engineer
20-07-2005, 03:40
It would certainly be handy for an Iron Warriors Lord/Leuitenant. It is a cool gun and you only have to take 1 leadership test per turn that you cause injuries and that's on Ld10! The only downside I see is that it takes up your only daemon weapon spot in the army. I'd say it would be handy for a nonmonstrous creature lord in a unit or for a monstorous creature rather than a dark blade as he ignores armoursaves anyway so he could certainly soften up his targets before he charges!

blitz589
20-07-2005, 03:43
It would certainly be handy for an Iron Warriors Lord/Leuitenant. It is a cool gun and you only have to take 1 leadership test per turn that you cause injuries and that's on Ld10! The only downside I see is that it takes up your only daemon weapon spot in the army. I'd say it would be handy for a nonmonstrous creature lord in a unit or for a monstorous creature rather than a dark blade as he ignores armoursaves anyway so he could certainly soften up his targets before he charges!
I was actully debating between the Kai gun for my lietenant, and the Dread axe for my daemon prince(to go Hq hunting, by denying both armor saves) I decided on kai gun to save pts for the Dp to make him s8 to insta kill Marine Hqs.

mostholycerebus
20-07-2005, 03:53
It's a cool gun, but other daemon weapons are cooler.

EVIL INC
20-07-2005, 04:52
I used one once or twice. I just used one of the big ork guns. The one I used was the big round barreled one with the shells hanging from the bottom. It looks like its bolt based but big and different looking enough to easily show that its a daemon weapon. Truth to tell, I wasnt really impressed with it though. I ended up just doing the conversion for looks alone rather then continuing with using it.

Opus T. Penguin
20-07-2005, 04:59
I use the old RT chaos heavy grenade launcher myself. It hasn't been a legal weapon since 1st ed, so no one complains.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2109chaosrenegadeheavies-h.htm

Dead orc
20-07-2005, 11:21
Why not an Inquisitor scale bolter?

grizzly ruin
20-07-2005, 11:59
I converted a heavy bolter to have its ammo feed plugged into the wielder's skull.

I'd really love to see a picture of that, sounds like a fantastically cool idea and conversion.

Inq. Veltane
20-07-2005, 12:00
Because its a bit too 'clean' looking in my opinion. Using it as the base of a Kai Gun may work ok though, but it should look slightly daemonic at least.

x-esiv-4c
20-07-2005, 12:29
There are better weapons to fill that 1 daemon-wep slot, but it if fits into the theme of your army...eh why not.

Jal'knock
20-07-2005, 12:32
It can be a good weapon to take if you intend holding back and your lord has a set of lightening claws or whatever. Can make a nice little mess of some open marines.

grizzly ruin
20-07-2005, 12:55
It can be a good weapon to take if you intend holding back and your lord has a set of lightening claws or whatever. Can make a nice little mess of some open marines.

Too expensive for my tastes.

If I were to use it I would throw it onto a cheap LT.

Lt. MoCU Flight Kai Gun - 95 points

Use him to compliment a bunch of small mobile shooty squads with primarily bolters and plasma guns or meltas, taking advantage of his IC status to keep him safe.

*Warning*: From this point forward grizzly ruin goes horribly OT.

Either that or put him in terminator armor with a chosen squad designed for shooting. I don't like this option because it' costs about as much as 2 6 man havoc squads who have like quadruple the firepower.

Lt. MoCU, Terminator Armor, Kai Gun, Power Sword = 115
6 Chosen MoCU w/ 2 Reaper Autocannons = 262
Total = 377

vs.

6 Havocs MoCU TH 4 ML = 188
6 Havocs MoCU TH 4 AC = 188
Total 376

Personally I go with option 2.

Xander-K
20-07-2005, 13:07
It can be a good weapon to take if you intend holding back and your lord has a set of lightening claws or whatever. Can make a nice little mess of some open marines.How can you have a Kai Gun and a pair of lightning claws??

LostTemplar
20-07-2005, 15:57
Simply put, you can't. I suppose it was an oversight on his behalf.

blitz589
20-07-2005, 16:10
Well a Daemon prince could have a Kai gun, and 1 Lighning claw, but that would be expensive, and bad.

Jal'knock
20-07-2005, 16:12
I meant that if your lord is running about with lightening claws or other non daemon weapons it would be a good upgrade for a lieutenant or vet in a shooty squad. Or in an infiltrating havoc squad with 4 plasma guns?

Serpent
21-07-2005, 05:30
Demon Princes can't have Lightning Claws...

A friend used the =][= Artemis Bolter for his Kai Gun. In a 400pts campaign, it was quite dominant.

Serpent

Nurgling Chieftain
21-07-2005, 05:36
Demon Princes can't have Lightning Claws...He can if he doesn't have stature. ;)

Serpent
21-07-2005, 05:46
If you don't have Stature, you ain't no real Prince... :rolleyes:

Serpent

Nurgling Chieftain
21-07-2005, 06:58
If you don't have Stature, you ain't no real Prince... :rolleyes:"Real" or not, he's still a Daemon Prince, and I wouldn't diss him like that to his face if I were you. :chrome:

rockywuff
21-07-2005, 10:02
A kai gun is also a one-handed weapon if the wielder is a monstrous creature. Not that there's a lot of point in giving a statured lord a kai gun since he's only BS3 anyway.. :)

blitz589
21-07-2005, 14:44
If u just give a lord alot of daemonic gifts, does he count as a Monsterous creature.

grizzly ruin
21-07-2005, 16:10
If u just give a lord alot of daemonic gifts, does he count as a Monsterous creature.

No.

Only "daemonic stature" makes him a monstrous creature.

Giving a lord more than 50 points of Daemonic Gifts makes him a Daemon Prince, but it does not make him a monstrous creature.

Alco Engineer
21-07-2005, 22:54
That's right. he doesn't have daemonic stature or count as monstorous unless you buy it for him but if he has more than 50p of Gifts he has to be modelled on a big base.

EVIL INC
22-07-2005, 03:32
Just thought I'd post a link to my conversion with a Tzeentch lord with a kia gun.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y1/Littlemurphy/?action=view&current=Picture085.jpg

Inquis. Jaeger
22-07-2005, 08:23
A Kia Gun eh? Is that a rubbish tincan gun from the pacific rim? ;)

BloodiedSword
22-07-2005, 10:05
A Daemon Prince doesn't have to be mounted on a 40mm base unless it has Daemonic Stature. And even then the wording is "should", but anyone trying to get away with not doing so has no shame and should be avoided.