PDA

View Full Version : Scum, anyone?

Loketh Latheliu
12-02-2007, 05:46
What are your thoughts on hired guns like scummers, bounty hunters, and ratskin guides? They seem like great, cheap additions to a gang, with all the experience rolls and superior stats for a cheaper price.

Discuss.

Vattendroppe
12-02-2007, 06:24
Ratskin or none (voted ratskin). Usually none, but if I do take a hired gun it is a ratskin (you get chanses to get one extra territory!)

Darkhorse
12-02-2007, 10:21
Usually I take a Beastmaster Wyrd, though I may use a Ratskin in early games of a campaign and a bounty hunter in Rescues.

Kedlav
12-02-2007, 12:03
Ratskin usually, Bounty Hunter has been known to appear.

Angelwing
12-02-2007, 14:42
ratskin. possible free territory, bonus in scenario choice.
the others suck up creds better spent of juves, who hopefully will improve and overtake hired guns abilities.

Catferret
12-02-2007, 16:24
I voted Ratskin.

I almost always use a Ratskin for their Scenario Table modifier and chance for free territory if you win games.

I sometimes use a Scummer in early games to give me a guy who can reliably drop enemy gangers forcing the opponent to take Bottle Checks. Once a couple of Gangers hit BS4/5 or get some good skills he isn't as useful any more and just steals xp from the rest of the gang.

I have never used a Bounty Hunter. I have a few ideas for converting a model but I doubt I'd ever use him. They really hike up your Gang Rating and cost a lot of Creds per game.

Lord Humongous
12-02-2007, 18:10
As with Catferret; almost alway with the Ratskin Scout (painted a model for it), occasionally use scummer(s), never bothered with a bounty hunter.

nightgant98c
12-02-2007, 20:46
I've had success with a scummer. They don't cost much, and add a good punch to your gang. Especially early on in a campaign.

Lord 0
13-02-2007, 12:52
I voted all of the above.

Ratskins are awesome for the free territory, scummers for the more reliable person early game, and bounty-hunters are always good for a laugh.

Am I the only one who uses them? I have never had a game when the bounty-hunter I took was not worth it. Either he drew an *obscene* amount of fire because the enemy was (rightly) terrified of the auto-capture ability, or the auto-capture ability netted me some nice gear.

If you want gear, capturing your opponents hirelings is good because they will seldom be bothered rescuing them. The gear you can get from a captured enemy bounty hunter is pretty tasty. Likewise a captured enemy heavy, although good luck pulling that one off.

nightgant98c
14-02-2007, 02:27
I never really paid attention the th auto capture rule. That's pretty nice.

Tomothy
14-02-2007, 07:13
Its very nice, definitely worth paying 35 creds a game for.

Darkhorse
14-02-2007, 09:29
Hence their exceptional use in Rescue scenarios, if it goes to pot you can organise an exchange of captives or if the plan comes together ransom a guy back for the BH's fee or more...

Elderguardsman
14-02-2007, 10:39
I've mainly used the Ratskin Guide when I'm am starting a new gang.

Melchiah
14-02-2007, 11:08
Does anyone use Forgottenguns or preachers?

don_mondo
14-02-2007, 12:29
I'm with DarkHorse, I use a Beastmaster Wyrd with Ripperjack pets with my Ratskin gang.
If I were to play a "normal" gang, I'd probably use a Ratskin.

African Death Midget
14-02-2007, 15:04
If I take hired guns it's always scum. They are so characterful and can be taken time and again since they are cheap. Bounty hunters I don't take. Too expensive to take at the start since my opponent would just throw juves at him to keep him busy and I find once a gang gets going they are not needed. I've never taken a ratskin before so couldn't comment on them.

Elated Panda
15-02-2007, 19:51
I use a ratskin because they never die and the figures are great. Not the new figures they suck, the old ones.

Does anyone use Forgottenguns or preachers?
Yeah I do the crazy doc is cool. :)

If you like new hired guns heres some more cool ones.
link (http://easternfringe.com/wiki/index.php?Custom%20Hired%20Guns)
link (http://www.anthony-case.me.uk/plugin.php)

Vladimir Deathblade
17-02-2007, 15:43
Well, I personaly love the bounty hunter. Yes, he's expesive, but the kit he gets, allong with the auto capture rule are amasing! He has won several games by himself!
One thing I don't like with scum is the ability to save all your creds up, then use hords of scum in the final game. One person would have been out of the final 4 way, but hired around 20 scum :S Everyone jumped him, so he just didn't wwin...

Lord 0
17-02-2007, 23:04
Even if the bounty hunter only gets a few juves, that is effective insurance against your gangers getting captured.

He gets lucky and captures your leader and is forced to hand him over in exchange for a juve :p.

nightgant98c
18-02-2007, 07:57
The Ogryn bodyguard looks pretty good on paper. Anyone ever try it out?

+_Void_Crusaders_+
18-02-2007, 08:14
As stated in my orlock list thread, I usually use a scum and am starting to warm to the ratskin (it helps i rolled really well on his advances :D). I really like the bounty hunter but he just costs too much at the start. If I start hauling some big creds, look for one (or two!) to make an appearance.

Model wise, i LOVE the old autopistol/plasma scum, the new bolter bounty hunter, and I don't mind the old bounty hunter with BPx2

Darkhorse
18-02-2007, 09:01
The Ogryn bodyguard looks pretty good on paper. Anyone ever try it out?

I played against 2 Ogryn bodyguards in he opening game of the current campaign.
No-one is going to walk towards an Ogryn so they had to cover the distance themselves, with the gang leader. One of my juves got lucky taking one of the gang leaders out with his autopistol which meant that the Ogryn immediately ran off with him to everyone's amusment. The second Ogryn wound up traipsing across the table but didn't do anything either and neither gang could afford to rehire the things.
There was a previous campaign in which a juve got multiple injuries from an Ogryn, then ran into exactly the same Ogryn next game who finished the job and killed her.
Not something I'd take, though I did catch up with the Cawdor leader (who got carried away by his ogryn in the first game) and killed him with my heavy plasma gun, The Cawdors are now 20th of 20 in the campaign and have a lower gang rating than when they started.
I do have a couple of converted pit-slaves which I'm thinking about taking along to a game.

EVIL INC
18-02-2007, 13:43
Cawdor hired ogryns!?!? LOL, thats like seeing redemptionists hire them. I thought they were too zealous to consider them anything but mutants to be eradicated. Maybe it was the unfluffiness that doomed them to be useless against that player.:p

thorgrim
24-05-2007, 01:54
I always hire a ratskin in my starting gang. I'll keep him for as long as possible and will only hire a bounty hunter or scum if i need the back up.

Lord 0
25-05-2007, 05:51
I really like the bounty hunter but he just costs too much at the start. If I start hauling some big creds, look for one (or two!) to make an appearance.

I am pretty sure you are only allowed one bounty hunter or ratskin.