PDA

View Full Version : Hey Anathir, do a HE tactica thread. In the mean-time, here's an armylist for review.

feintstar
20-07-2005, 06:03
Archmage, lvl 4, Book of Hoeth, Elven Steed

Mage, 2 Scrolls

Commander
Lesser Drake (S3 Flamer thingy from Albion and Great Eagle)
E Shield, Heavy Armour, Lance

Commander
Barded Elf Steed,
Sword of Might, E shield, Helm of Fortune, heavy Armour

5 SH, Heavy Armour and shields, musician 122

5 Dragon Princes, full command, Banner of Sorcery 225
with commander

2 Chariots 170

5 Ellyrian Reavers, bows, musician 127
(with Archmage)

2 Great Eagles, (wyrmlings, with lesser Drake Commander 100

2 RBTs 200, with scroll caddy

I know, I know, low model count blah blah blah.

Really the list is trying to fit the heroes into it, no the other way round. Iím just messing around, wondering what kind of horribly unkind things Lord Anathir is going to say about me :D .

Feed 8 Ė 10 powerdice per turn through a Book of Hoeth, and what happens? Explosion in which lots of enemy models and the archmage are killed. Lasts around 3 turns, by my reckoning. I figure, if everyone takes 5 dispel dice, then by god, I canít go by halves in the magic phase, Iím going to have to go all out with full Seer council, or I can do thisÖ 5 dispell dice and 2 scrolls arenít gonna do crap when facing IF every 3rd spell. (3 dice castings are 40% irresistible, and on 4 dice, its closer to 70% IF). True, Iím miscasting every 6th spell, but thatís the way the zombie crumblesÖ After all, irresistible drain magic plus flames of the phoenix will virtually destroy a VC army, for instance. Particularly when married to chariots and SH charges...

NarCiS
20-07-2005, 09:04
I am shocked :O
At least make a slight mention of me :(
Oh well, Low model count bla bla bla

Also, DONT put the archmage with the reavers, He will just be a liability.
I don't know how you feel about baiting with a unit containing a 373 point character?

I would keep him within 5" of a unit so he can't be shot at, be very aware of mage hunt units though.
The mini-flamethrower is not nearly as good as the Reaver bow on that Chickenhawk commander. 3 S5 shots each turn can easily get mages hiding out behind the lines.

Honestly though, beef up your list. Even for an all cavarly force 35 models is not enough. I think getting 4 great eagles and maybe mounting your mage (he won't keep up otherwise ) would be a better idea as the Bolt Throwers and the scroll mage are easy pickings for your opponent's fast cav and scouts.

feintstar
20-07-2005, 13:33
Sorry Narcis. To tell the truth, you and some others came to mind, but I couldn't remember the names. One I do remember now, I'm sure Riddy will have something nasty to say about me :)

I wasn't actually going to bait with the Reavers, more like Use the free form to get the Archmage behind enemy lines, and out of them quickly if necessary, protected by the lesser Drake hero. Also, if I flee from an angry hero mage killer unit, then next turn I can rally, reform and move ready for the next magic phase. Am I right? (I've never used a mounted archmage before)

Oh I wish I could take War of the Beard Dragon Princes!!! Even as Hero choices!Though I agree, the bow will do better, I need to stick to the fluff and the look of this guy.

Problem is, I don't know what to drop in order to boost the model count. I figured I could protect the RBTs with cavalry and chariots while forcing my enemy to come to me by hammering in the shooting and magic phases, all the while positioning for combat charges that are utterly in my favour. I was pleased with myself for coming up with a list that challenges for supremecy in all phases, movement, shooting, magic AND combat. Albeit at a low model count.

Only other army that can do that is Tzeetch, and be cheesy while doing it.

Lord Anathir
20-07-2005, 18:20
Lmao....im still a newb to this site you know.

About the tactica, its already started....its on the second week of process....it will be here soon (another week or so).

Hmmm... about your list...It's an all cavalry list + Heavy magic....
In general, it looks good, just a few minor tweeks.
First or all, the commander on eagles should be dropped completely. The strength 3 template just doesn't cut it for anyone. Also, you are potentially wasting the commanders combat prowess because eagles will die easily in combat....and are easy to shoot. Commanders mounted on monsters dont get the armor bonus, and with no ward save........ both rider and mount will get smoked from any kind of shooting. I know its fluffy, but...i don't believe it is very effective. Eagles are great, but only when they are expendible.

Lord Anathir
20-07-2005, 18:31
Lmao....im still a newb to this site you know.

About the tactica, its already started....its on the second week of process....it will be here soon (another week or so).

Hmmm... about your list...It's an all cavalry list + Heavy magic....
In general, it looks good, just a few minor tweeks.
First or all, the commander on eagles should be dropped completely. The strength 3 template just doesn't cut it for anyone. Also, you are potentially wasting the commanders combat prowess because eagles will die easily in combat....and are easy to shoot. Commanders mounted on monsters dont get the armor bonus, and with no ward save........ both rider and mount will get smoked from any kind of shooting. I know its fluffy, but...i don't believe it is very effective. Eagles are great, but only when they are expendible. Also, on the other commander drop the enchanted shield and sword of battle and give him a lance instead....he makes a cheap, very effective support unit to your cavalry.
Drop the bows on the reavers, they're just not effective
With the extra points, give your scroll caddie a lvl 2 upgrade.
Then get two more chariots.
About the RBT at the back...im not so sure they will work, your cav is charging on turn 2 or 3, and after that, all you will be doing is trying not to get yourself killed. I suggest dropping the RBT.
Also, put the mage on foot in a chariot, so that you get a US 5 chariot, stick this chariot on a flank beside a unit of helms and watch it negate ranks. Also, your mage gets some added armor.
Narcis got it right on the head, take the lvl 4 out of the unit and just position him beside a cavalry unit. A couple reasons why, them being that you dont want the mage to be in combat, and second (more importantly) if 4 reavers are shot and they flee, they wont be able to rally (even with your mage there, they still count as being below 25%)
With the points you get from the 2 RBT add another eagle and a 'hammer' unit of 6 silverhelms with full command....OR, another lvl 2 mage with jewel of dusk + Seer.
Don't worry about shooting, your magic will make up for it.

Happy Hunting!

feintstar
21-07-2005, 03:22
Don't worry about shooting, your magic will make up for it.

Didn't you say earlier not to rely on magic for anything? I think this is doubly true when some nut with the Book of Hoeth is galloping around frying stuff with multiple 4 dice castings per turn.

That, (plus the fact that I already own 3 Bolt Throwers and no eagles) is one of the reasons I was hoping to own all the phases! ALL of them! mwa ha ha ha ha!!! :evilgrin:

In fact, If I could rely on 4 Dispell Dice and no scrolls, I'd drop the caddy and make the rest of the list combat and shooting. (hmm, I wonder...)

The commander and his drake are there for looks, theme, and the ability to take 3 Eagles and 2 RBTs in the same 2000 points. (allowing me to march bock and redirect charges while making the extra turns count using shooting and magic). I'll happily drop the flamer to make the whole unit 130 points. :cries: However, while he might be a liability in combat by himself, if he charges the rear of a unit (along with another Eagle doing the same) while some1 else charges the flank, he'll be okay, won't he?

You have also convinced me to drop the bows on the reavers (alas for mage hunting) and scale down the 0+ rerollable save and S5 magic weapon to a more modest 1+ reroll with a lance.

Won't putting the littler mage on a chariot be something of a liability? Sure the Chariot's more effective, but he's also a much bigger target; and what's more, 4 infantry frontage allows 4 models to hit the mage in CC. That would easily be enough to kill him, which is a bloody bother. :rolleyes:

Now here's where it gets dicey. If I drop the extra armour on my silver helms, (giving them mere 3+ saves) all that will free up just enough for a 3rd chariot, or, wait for it, a unit of Shadow warriors. By god, If they go for my warmachines, I'm going to 1. Stop him, and 2. Go for his. This ups my troop count a little, even at the expense of survivability, but hey, we're in for magic and shooting tenderising before a hammer blow, so we don't need survivability. It gives support to the eagles AND the RBTs, Plus, It allows me to maintain my maxim of all phase domination. :angel:

Lord Kitchener
21-07-2005, 15:49
If I may, I've got just a couple of comments,
It's a mounted force right? I'd drop the artillery (saving 200 points) right away and replace with more cav. Next I'd take your chacters off the budgies (saved 50 points), as they are not expendable, but the budgies can be. Another unit of Chariots would be quite nice. you coulds save some points here and there, to make another unit up, thus increasing your model count. For instance, drop your archmage to lvl3 I know you really love the idea, but try and take away the book of Hoeth and replace with the seer honour, saving 70 (that's 320 so far) I only say this because your mage will not only be hunted down by everything able to do so, but the units you will want to protect him, will also take much more flack and as they're small in size, they might not like it very much. I would drop the bows on the reavers, too small a unit to be affective for the points (shooting wise) but a good screen for you horsy mage. Drop the enchanted shield (I see you've writen in two of these shields, is that legal?) & drop the sword of might, replace with a great weapon (saved 21 points) (341 so far saved) enough to put another unit of chariots and a unit of cav on the field.

Sorry to Barstardize your list, I hope I don't cause offence and I hope you could follow my thoughts? I use High Elves too and it's nice to see you trying something like this, but I would be worried that one fatal turn for you in the early stages of a battle (turn 1 or 2), would finish you off before you start.

Anyway, good gaming and I look forward to hearing how you do with your list.

Martin K

Lord Anathir
22-07-2005, 01:10
@feintstar.
When the mage is on foot, alone, with two 100 point warmachines beside him, he is MORE vulernerabile. Magic is unreliable, but its better to take the risk then spend a whole lot more points on some warmachines (in an all cav list). In a mixed, RBT are the LEET, but in all cav they are not as great.
Btw, Eagles ARE the number 1 best unit in our army...i suggest you buy some.

Crux
22-07-2005, 01:51
Everyone posts long replies. Everyone but me.

Your list is illegal; you may only have one enchanted shield in your army.

Lord Anathir
22-07-2005, 02:23
hes right....drop the enchanted shield on the commander on steed. 1+ rerollable armor save is enough.

feintstar
22-07-2005, 07:25
Okay okay fine, i lose my lesser Drake commander. I'll swap him for a normal cavalry dude with BSB, Pure of heart and a sword of might. Fair enough? (only 110 pointsish)

What about Shadow warriors? Will the Scout ability make up for the lack of mobility and thus allow them to fit into the list? More expendable units is good, and I was trying to avoid going all cavalry, truth be told. Its just that none of the other core units are any good, and DPs look too good to pass up. Plus they take the banner.

And I'm taking the BoH so that I can ignore magical defences. That means I'm NOT taking a totally magical List. In fact, I'll drop the scroll caddy for a hero with a Radient Gem on a Chariot with a Lance and a sheild. I'm going to rely :) on 5 dispell dice and Drain Magic, then duff 'em up in combat.

By Ulthuan and by Aenarion, I will own ALL the Phases!