PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels, past and present

Lord_Magellan
13-02-2007, 05:01
GLEE!!!! The game store guru tells me the advance order of Dark Angels army sets has shipped. After many months of tense waiting and Silence of the Lambs, Jame Gumb style coveting (without that one scene mind you, you know the one I'm talking about) I will finally have my Dark Angels updates. And Glee x2: It will arrive in time for me to redo my Dark Angels army list for the Arizona Champions of Chaos tournament the next day.

I'm ready to be the Dark Angel to end all Dark Angels in that tournie. As it is, I've built up an impressive 2000 point Dark Angels army, painted, based, and with several conversions, in half the time it took me to put together my Sisters.

Which brings to mind the point of the post: Tell me, DA veterans, what will the fate of your Dark Angels be now? Will you buy new soldiers to make use of the upgrade sprues? A little or a lot? Will you stand by your lovingly crafted Unforgiven warriors as they are now, and just make use of the new codex? Will you mix and match?

Judging by the sprue pictures, there aren't many parts, if any really, that you can cobble onto existing DA models to update them.

It doesn't trouble me to eventually get a fully robed army, but it'll be slow going behind other concerns, and I'm very loyal to the Dark Angels who have gotten me this far. Sure, I can simply expand the numbers of army to vast proportions using old and new (and plan to do so), but I'd probably default to the newer looking ones to have a force that can be visually fresh and intimidating compared to the new nids, new eldar, et al. And I know some of you have DA models that go far back indeed.

So, what will it be, Unforgiven? How will you approach integrating the old with the new?

Catferret
13-02-2007, 05:51
My approach is to create my own successor chapter, buy a load of the new models and paint them all up. I used to have regular DA but wanted to do something different but couldn't bare leaving behind the awesome background!

Have to buy a lot of upgrade sprues though. I want every model(even bikers and speeder crews) to have robes... Goodbye money!

Ronin_eX
13-02-2007, 05:55
I'm replacing all my older models and upgrading to the new stuff (old DW terminators and my cookie cutter marines). Other than that, I'm really just expanding my force.

==Me==
13-02-2007, 06:54
I'll be picking up new models to round out ==My== current collection and possibly updating existing models with pretty upgrades :D

Haroith
13-02-2007, 06:58
i just begin with DA played SW fr 2 years now and wanted to try something else, and when i saw the pics of these fine lads in de WD i just couldn't resist and ordered the Armybox right away

HiveFleetEzekial
13-02-2007, 08:36
Now THAT's an impulse buy if I've ever heard of one! lol

Myself, I've always suffered from the 'oooh shiney!' syndrome. So ofcourse I'll be buying more. Mostly to bolster my corrunt, mostly disasmbled for upgraded painting (since i've gotten lots better since my last full army was complete) forces. Plus I've got a big tank project that could use some of the extra DA bling from the new sprues.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-02-2007, 08:39
Just restarting my Dark Angels now that the book is almost out. All I need is a handfull of tanks though.

Besides, 90%+ of the marines in a DA army should be normal looking. It's only really a special few that should be robed, so I see no reason to get new models.

Odin
13-02-2007, 10:50
Most of my models aren't painted yet, so it's not so difficult for me. I will only be having robes on the veterans - if everyone has robes, there's nothing special about them. I want my robed models to stand out.

I'll certainly be getting a unit of Veterans, and the new Master with the winged helmet.

Biggest change though, is that I am buying several Rhinos and Razorbacks. It would be rude not to.

ss_cherubael
13-02-2007, 11:46
i have twenty of the old dark angel vets sitting next to me this very second and im getting all the new dark angels stuff as its all so AWESOME! For the moment i want everyone in robes but eventually im sure i will cut out the old vets and put normal marines in their place as the three poses only is a bit annoying when one wants a nice looking army.

Penitent
13-02-2007, 12:05
Most of my models aren't painted yet, so it's not so difficult for me. I will only be having robes on the veterans - if everyone has robes, there's nothing special about them. I want my robed models to stand out.

Agreed. I'll be buying a few of the upgrade sprues so that I can replace some of the static-posed, metal DA vets I've been using as veteran sergeants. I prefer them to stand out.

Outside of that, I'll mostly be rounding out my force: I'm 15 marines away from having a full company. I'll add to that another command squad, a power-armor veteran squad, 5 more Deathwing, and enough Ravenwing to field a legal army.

Angelus Mortis
13-02-2007, 12:11
I have about 1k pts worth now. I converted a bunch of them to my DIY Chapter when Codex:Space Marines was released. But I still have enough to put 1k on the field. As well as a 2k Deathwing I still have, however, I fully intend to replace my entire DW with the new Termies since all mine are old school ones (didn't even like those models before we had the new ones).

So in short, I will be buying at least another 1k-2k worth of the new stuff to replace stuff I converted. Looking forward to it big time.

guillimansknight
13-02-2007, 13:05
My approach is to create my own successor chapter, buy a load of the new models and paint them all up. I used to have regular DA but wanted to do something different but couldn't bare leaving behind the awesome background!

Have to buy a lot of upgrade sprues though. I want every model(even bikers and speeder crews) to have robes... Goodbye money!

on the successor chapter page what are the robed guys called? if you know

robes on a bike ..........man that will be hard ....unless you have a lot of