PDA

View Full Version : Making a gang

The_Dragon_Rising
13-02-2007, 10:42
Ok i am new to ecromunda ad have recently for the forst time played a game using my 40K ork models as representatives.

What i am asking though- what is the best, cheapest a in essence the most effective way of making a necro gang?

I was thinkig of getting a box set of 40K imp guard and using green stuff and bits from my bits box, just converting them to look like a necro gang. has any1 else tried this approach?, is it effective?, how else could i make my gang?

Thanks for your help
-TDR

Kedlav
13-02-2007, 11:45
Its a fairly common approach for Orlocks, it'd be rather hard to many others, sae perhaps Catachans as Goliaths. You'll usually run into being called cheesy for using too many flashlights, as they are the best basic weapon. You can usually get decent deals on ebay as well.

Darkhorse
13-02-2007, 12:14
Catachans are often converted to Orlocks and sometimes Goliaths.
SM scouts can represent Orlocks or Van Saar.
Chaos Marauders can be converted to Goliaths or Pit Slaves.
Cawdor can be converted from Wood Elves or Bretonnian men at arms.
Eldar are sometimes used as Van Saars.
Escher can be converted from Dark Eldar Wyches.

EVIL INC
13-02-2007, 17:22
Check out my thread on beastmen. I am currently painting my converted gang of them. Of course, it will take a while to finish them before I get them posted here but I am making slow progress. Dern So-com combined assault and work is taking up my time. :rolleyes: But yes, converting from plastics is the cheapest. Would love to see a gang using skinks as juves and sauruses as gangers. Those would nicely represent sump dwellers.

Lord Humongous
13-02-2007, 17:55
There's also a TON of companies out there with "contemporary" or "dark future" type gang warfare sci fi minis that work great for Necromunda. Some of them are very nice, and quite cheap. I suggest looking at EM4 (thier unpainted minatures) and others (sliping my mind now, hopefully others will chime in).

don_mondo
18-02-2007, 15:49
Blood Bowl amazons are also good fodder for Escher conversions and could even be used for a female Ratskin gang.

The_Dragon_Rising
20-02-2007, 18:38
What could i use for Delaque as they are most probably the gang i will play, (on an off-note is it pronounced De-la-quay, or De-lak?)

Catferret
20-02-2007, 18:48
I always pronounced it De-lak. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have been adding GS coats to plastic Cadian models recently but I don't know what tour GS skills are like.

Here's a link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64314) if it helps. Kind of a long thread now though...

Hicks
25-02-2007, 05:11
Also, you can follow the rules for a gang without actually using those minis. Last time we played, we used what would translate to Iquisitor warbands. The figs were WYSIWYG and all, they were just not all coesive in their looks (like most INQ warbands). I also played ''S.W.A.T.'' once, with a team made out of Stormtroopers assaulting my buddies Ratskins. I think that Necromunda has fantastic rules, but it's a shame that the players don't try the ''count has'' approach as much as with the core games.

Darkhorse
25-02-2007, 11:11
What could i use for Delaque as they are most probably the gang i will play, (on an off-note is it pronounced De-la-quay, or De-lak?)

The names come from various sources;
Cawdor - MacBeth, Thane of Cawdor (Shakespear)
Goliath - Phoenician warrior (Bible)
Escher - M C Escher (Artist)
Orlock - Count Orlock (Nosferatu)

I think Delaque is a reference to Lancalot De Laque from the Arthurian Romances.
Not sure what Van Saar is in reference to ATM.

Tomothy
25-02-2007, 11:45
Also, you can follow the rules for a gang without actually using those minis. Last time we played, we used what would translate to Iquisitor warbands. The figs were WYSIWYG and all, they were just not all coesive in their looks (like most INQ warbands). I also played ''S.W.A.T.'' once, with a team made out of Stormtroopers assaulting my buddies Ratskins. I think that Necromunda has fantastic rules, but it's a shame that the players don't try the ''count has'' approach as much as with the core games.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. If its a mini problem i'm fine playing with people who proxy, or use orks as something else, but more often than not when i see someone trying to create a new gang for a 40k army it looks like they just want more powerful options than the game is designed for.

On the topic of pronouncing delaque, i'm sure you can do it anyway you feel comfortable. I pronounce it de-lak

Van Saar is a mixture of german and french i think. It was covered on the eastern fringes forum. Basically they're eurotrash.

SuperJohn
25-02-2007, 11:48
I've been using Warhammer Empire Militia plus IG parts, IG and SM weapons, old 2nd ed autopistols, green stuff etc to make a Delaque gang. Had the Militia apare from making a Mordheim Reiklanders gang and decided to get creative.

Will post pics soon...

SuperJohn
25-02-2007, 22:13
Here are some pics of my WIP Delaques that may help you...

(The guy with the helmet is a defected PDF trooper with drum-fed Heavy Stubber, that's how I explain him! :D His Delaque coat is rolled up on top of his pack so I don't have to sculp this one)

+_Void_Crusaders_+
26-02-2007, 05:20
Holy snap man... Those are actually really good. How many gangers in your gang? Seems like a lot of work but it looks worthwhile

Darkhorse
26-02-2007, 11:45
Is that a plasma gun or Heavy plasma gun? Very nice work.

The_Dragon_Rising
26-02-2007, 19:43
They're great very nce work and inspirational

Lord 0
27-02-2007, 11:12
Very cool, I especially like the look of the last one.

Just by-the-by, I always thought that Delaque rhymed with 'plaque'. With my accent that comes out as 'del-ahk'.

ash_wednesday
28-02-2007, 20:40
Its a fairly common approach for Orlocks, it'd be rather hard to many others, sae perhaps Catachans as Goliaths. You'll usually run into being called cheesy for using too many flashlights, as they are the best basic weapon. You can usually get decent deals on ebay as well.

You can also use the Catachans for orlocks as well. BEst part is the fact that they are plastic, which means Costume jobs. You can buy the weapons packs online and stuff. Set up most of your gangers with lasguns. You can easily convert the lasguns into autoguns. File down the sides of the gun. As for shotguns, go to ebay and order some marine scouts plastic shotguns.

But for even easier way of getting gangers, make a Guilder gang that was found in one of the Necromunda magzines. Most of your modles will be Merc's anyway (gun for hire) so any imperial gaurd model will do. To make the gang look more ragtag..buy different types of gaurd models (some Catachans, Iron Mordins..etc..). Heck you could even buy some plastic bits from warhammer fansty...mostly heads and some legs depedning on the model. As for the pit slaves, but some space marines platic bits, mostly the arms. For the Guilder him self, I'd say but a Imperial Psyker and paint him in bright colors.

SuperJohn
28-02-2007, 21:32
Thanks guys, glad you like them. That's all so far, though I have one more body left...

The Empire Militia gives several bodies with coats but not quite enough so I got to work scuplting! The last one is the leader, with a sword on his back Blade-style. They've taken a while but it's been worth it.

The plasma gun is a salvaged Chaos Marine plasma gun. The power pack was damaged so I cut it off, added the cabling and a bit of plasticard to mask the join. Gonna add a backpack or power module on his back too.

The old timer has a shotgun converted from the Militia crossbow arms and thin plastic rods (actually they were banner poles from Marine bikes).

Hulkster
01-03-2007, 12:24
I was thinking about using Imperial Steel Leigon troops as Delaque, do you yhink that would work?

also I always thought it was pronounced De-La-Queue