PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Crom?

Delusionist
13-02-2007, 10:56
So what do you think about Crom the Conqueror? Is he any good and if he is, is he overpowerd/unbalanced?

To me he doesn't seem that good, he's only good when he gets into a chalenge, right?

So how effective is this ability?

I'm also planing on doing a marauder heavy Chaos army, so those MoCU would be very good for my army. This allows me to give MoCU to an exalted champ with Helm of many eyes, and I could still put him in a unit of Marauders.

So what do people think about special characters? Would they play against me?

Murderous Monkey
13-02-2007, 11:21
Crom is a fairly cool special character. His abilities are only of any extra use in a challenge but if you were intending to buy a chaos lord without magical items are worth the extra thirty points in my opinion.

The mark of unidivided on all marauders is great - especially since it makes Marauder horsemen far less lilkely to panic and helps basic marauders ensure that they charge an enemy that causes fear.

Not sure about the comment regarding your exalted champion. You don't need to 'give' him the mark of chaos undivided as he comes from it and a marked character may join a unit that bears no mark at all - so you already had that option! If you're buying the helm then don't forget your great weapon for strength seven goodness.

Crom is fun and interesting. Hardly a game winner and to be honest the changes in composition are likely to make a far more significant difference to your army than his abilities in a challenge - good as they are.

Delusionist
13-02-2007, 11:26
whops. I only own the BoC book, so I don't know that much about the HoC book.

He just fits my Viking theme army so well with thos challenge abilities.

Hywel
13-02-2007, 11:56
Crom is fun and interesting. Hardly a game winner and to be honest the changes in composition are likely to make a far more significant difference to your army than his abilities in a challenge - good as they are.

Indeed, by selecting Crom you are choosing a type of army more than you are a character.

MarcoPollo
13-02-2007, 15:22
Crom is great with a marauder horde army. I don't find that a marauder horde army is anything special. It lacks punch and variety. In really large games where you can afford alot of extra marauder troops and still incorporate some punch, Crom would be pretty good.

I smaller games 2K (is the lowest) I think Crom is too limiting on the army variety you can have if you want to maximize his abilities well.

He is a good fighter, not great, but good. But for his price, well worth trying a few times.

samw
13-02-2007, 17:45
A classic example of what a special character should be. He has an ability you can't buy, he changes the tactical opportunities open to your army, and he doesn't cost the earth. A great one to consider.

Capslock
13-02-2007, 19:01
He also makes for an excellent character killer. Though, IMO he really excells as a nasty surprise for your opponent's tooled out lords and heroes with ability to nullify magical items and immunity to "item breaking" spells (as his power stems from innate ability and not magic items). He's a great mid-price range special character as far as "army augment" characters go and he's most dfinitely a challenge winner.