PDA

View Full Version : Got Cold Ones?

Verm1s
20-07-2005, 11:39
Topic ended. No new posters please. Let it drift off the first page, or if a passing mod has been itching to lock this (and why wouldn't you?), knock yourself out. Please. Please. Thank you.

Zeb
20-07-2005, 12:02
It depends on how many I have, and possible Characters that are includeed. I play Druchii but my thoughts go like this:

If I have six or less single rank; seven or more, I start to rank up.

I like to have six of any cav in the front rank. So ten would usually be foremed into a six and four rank. But if I choose to give a BSB the Hydrabanner I might rank them five by five.

Megilain
20-07-2005, 12:03
When i wield the cavalry in my lizzardarmy, I tend to use them in a single file. They cost too much points for a rank to be cost-effective. I have seen Cold one knights used in two ranks, well they cost 6 points less, but only rarely...

Bubble Ghost
20-07-2005, 12:09
I very rarely use less than 10 dark elf Cold One Knights. It's not for the rank bonus, but for the endurance; I've had too many bad experiences whereby a small, expensive unit of heavy cavalry is rendered almost useless with a single war machine shot or volley of handgun fire. A larger unit can take a pounding and still dish one out later, as well as maintain a higher unit strength for auto breaking purposes.

In any case, I try to form the unit up as wide as I think I can get away with, often 6 and 4 or even 7 and 3. Sticking an extra two guys on the outside is another four attacks when you charge at people, and that's how heavy cavalry does its damage after all (especially with the aforementioned Hydra Banner). This should at the very least make up the difference from any rank bonus point you may be losing. To hell with symmetry.:D

Dr.Blast
20-07-2005, 12:13
I prefer to use them as a single line of 6 in both cases, because they are very expensive and imo I dont think the extra rank will compensate the excessive pts you'll be expending.

plasmapuff
20-07-2005, 12:45
I would also use a rank of 5-6 mainly due to the cost reasons as outlined above. Although if you feel like an "All Eggs in One Bassket Player", you can create a unit of like 10 models with a US of 20, hoping to autobreak due to fear.

The former is probably a more economical option though...

McMullet
20-07-2005, 13:10
If I have 8 or 10, I put them in 2 ranks. Most of the armies I play against would reduce a single rank unit to nothing pretty sharpish.

Bubble Ghost
20-07-2005, 14:36
Although if you feel like an "All Eggs in One Bassket Player", you can create a unit of like 10 models with a US of 20, hoping to autobreak due to fear.

It's only one basket if it's a particularly small game.

I find I need the extra models to absorb magic and missile casualties; start out with just a few, and 9 games out of 10 you're going to have just a couple left when the action starts. You might as well not take them at all.

Ordo Hereticus
20-07-2005, 14:49
Do lizardmen cold ones get cold blooded? So they get to role 3d6 for their stupidy rather than dark elves normal 2d6??

sqri
20-07-2005, 14:55
Lizardmen units roll 3d6 ignoring the highest dice in all leadership tests including stupidity.

Verm1s
20-07-2005, 18:43
So one rank, maybe two, more being a rarer occurence?

I'd like a few more replies, but to those who have replied, thank you. :)

fubukii
20-07-2005, 19:42
i normally wouldnt take cold one calvary so many points id rather pack some extra kroxigors

Spider
20-07-2005, 20:35
Currently i use a unit of 10...but i am planning to add a couple more and have two units of 6 instead.

Verm1s
20-07-2005, 21:40
Fubuki and Spider: thanks, but I feel I have to explain: I don't want to know if you use cold ones or not, or why; or how many cold ones you use, or why.
There's a matter I'm interested in (which I'd rather not go into right now, in case it comes to nothing), for which I need to know the general trend of those who use cold ones - if they rank cold ones up, or not.

Also, for that matter, how useful do you find stegadons, carnosaurs and arcanodons?

Thanks for your time. :)

Spider
20-07-2005, 22:21
I use 10 in two ranks curently because i enough models to do so.

A big unit of 10 is very resiliant, but it is very very risky. I have lost as many games due to them going stupid as i have won due to a mighty charge or three. :D

Taking 2 units will reduce their damage soaking capabilities somewhat, but

a/provide an element of built in redundency, ie, one unit may fail a crucial test...but both?.

well probably, but thats just the dice being evil.

b/ two units=twice the charges=twice the potential damage caused!

rune
23-07-2005, 15:43
i know its nitpicky, but lizardmen cold ones should not get the cold blooded rule. only the riders, or any other lizardMAN. if those cold ones get 3D6, the rest should. Theres only minor differences in the species the Druchii use and the Lizardmen use.

Snoozer
23-07-2005, 15:52
Ld based test are always made on the Ld of the rider because he (the saurus) is the one that controls the creature so that it wont get confused and distracted, and because saurus are cold-blooded its only natural to asume that they handle the situation alot better and don't panic when the ride is not moving...

or what do I know, I just want to pass the damn test ;)

:D

AdraCo
23-07-2005, 17:19
I am a Dark elf player and only use a few games, this is i thinks this unit its only for specific uses and situations.

Well the most used is the shock or breaking unit, for this I used a unit of 5 models with noble or 6 models without them, speak about 1500 points, for more points perhaps its good make a big unit to being useful the fear ;)

Verm1s
23-07-2005, 20:58
5-6... one rank?

Archaon
23-07-2005, 21:29
I play Dark Elves and if i field Cold One Knights i never go below 8, rather 10 if i can afford it.

The reason:

- the heaviest armored unit and therefore the best possibility for survival

- mobility

- most important: Fear! For this to work i usually include a Hero or even a Lord into the unit to give them the extra boost in close combat to make sure they win. The only trick is not to run into stubborn or unbreakable units because then you are stuck but everyone else should lose against them and i should outnumber them so they will flee automatically because of Fear (unless they are immune to psychology or fear).

Granted.. it is tricky to position them right for a decent charge but if you can pull it off it's the best.

gorenut
23-07-2005, 22:04
I usually go 5-6 just based on the fact that I'm not going to ever charge them by themselves.. I use them to help finish the job to gurantee a slaughter. To me, they juse seem too expensive to rank up.

Verm1s
24-07-2005, 17:05
*Pinches bridge of nose. Sighs*

Ranks, Archaon? Two?

Gorenut: thank you! It's a great comfort to know some people actually read the question I asked. :)

Snoozer
24-07-2005, 19:40

Ranks, Archaon? Two?

Gorenut: thank you! It's a great comfort to know some people actually read the question I asked. :)

well you can guess how many ranks they have, if the number of models is over 7 then they are in 2 ranks, you rarely see a 8 model wide unit.

Then if the number of models is 6 or below there is a good chance that its 5 models + a hero so a single rank

if the number of models is 7 then.... okey this one is a little more tricky, but my guess is on single (could be 2 ranks depending on the situation, like not enough room to move in)

I use mine 5+hero (so a single rank), but when I get the new saurus cold ones I will try them in a unit of 8-10 (in 2 ranks).

:D

Verm1s
24-07-2005, 23:23
well you can guess how many ranks they have, if the number of models is over 7 then they are in 2 ranks, you rarely see a 8 model wide unit.
Rarely. Meaning you might. And is it hard to just say the number of ranks? :p

Archaon
24-07-2005, 23:47

Ranks, Archaon? Two?

I don't get it.. what do you mean by two ranks?

Of course it means i field 2 ranks of them.. who would field an 8 or 10 wide cavalry regiment?

Verm1s
25-07-2005, 10:54
I figured you fielded two ranks, buy why couldn't you just say so? I don't care if you field two COs in two ranks, as long as you mention they're in two ranks. Believe it or not (and I said it often enough) this is not about how many cold ones you have. The magic number is 'two', not 'eight'.

Anyway, thank you all for your input, no matter how roundabout it may have been. I think, for my purposes (and the sake of my sanity) I have enough info.

Any new posters: Please disregard this topic

Archaon
25-07-2005, 21:08
God forbid someone is forced to think for a little bit.

And way to go for bashing me when i tried to give a little bit of advice or experience