PDA

View Full Version : lizardmen terradons

trolloc
14-02-2007, 15:12
Are terradons worth using? While it looks like they have some cool rules, they have a very low movement.

Wargamejunkie
14-02-2007, 15:23
Thats because they fly, the used to be the best flyers around till the Peg knights came.

pcgamer72
14-02-2007, 15:57
Yeh, they have the Flying special rule, so they can move 20'' all the time. Just don't put them in a forest and you'll be fine :)

The_Hrud
26-02-2007, 15:40
i haven't used them tbh. it seems to me they'd just be splatted by the artillery they're trying to counter. can someone please prove me wrong?

Kadrium
26-02-2007, 17:35
They're good for hunting mages and war machines, or setting up that "crossfire" thingie, having units flee through them to be destroyed.

forgottenlor
26-02-2007, 18:06
Terradons are useful. First with dive bombing you can normally wipe out the first rank of low toughness low armored units (like Imperial Halberdiers, Clanrats, Goblins, et.) without worring about taking much damage. You can do this well too with light calvary and Skirmishers who donīt have too much firepower (don`t dive bomb large groups of Wood elf rangers!) and warmachines, since they can't stand and fire. They also can take on most other flyers and win. And, of course, they can stop part of your opponents troups from marching.
Some tips. Keep them near your general to counter their low leadership. (Very important for fear and panic tests). You can go either go for 3 or 5 (you need 5 to negate ranks and get the flank or rear). 5 is however risky, since a big unit makes a juicy target for magic and missles.

Braad
26-02-2007, 20:04
I just happened to read yesterday that you need a unit strength of at least 5 to destroy units that flee through you. With a lower unit strength they just pas through the terradons (or whatever unit) unaffected, so if you want to use that, take five.

I have experienced them though, on the wrong side of the board that is, and think they can be extremely nasty. And indeed, that's why I kill them off as soon as possible. But that creates opportunities for others to get safely to me.

Goq Gar
27-02-2007, 03:03
Brilliant, fantastic, amazing.

I would never dream of using words like these to describe terradons.

I despise them with my very soul for being slow, weak, pitiful little creatures which have little to no use unless your opponent has a siege weapon which for some reason you cant kill with magic. And even then, they probably wont get to it before they get blown out of the sky.

Case and point: Hell blaster.

I may not be the best to give advice on terradons, but thats my 2P anyway.

DaBrode
27-02-2007, 03:10
Brilliant, fantastic, amazing.

I would never dream of using words like these to describe terradons.

I despise them with my very soul for being slow, weak, pitiful little creatures which have little to no use unless your opponent has a siege weapon which for some reason you cant kill with magic. And even then, they probably wont get to it before they get blown out of the sky.

Case and point: Hell blaster.

I may not be the best to give advice on terradons, but thats my 2P anyway.

Slow. How can you use a word like slow for anything flying?

Goq Gar
27-02-2007, 07:54
Compared to other flying units?

That and the fact you cant use them to drop rocks anymore further increases their uselessness.

I used to use them to kill toughie units. Now they're only good at attacking things that cant attack back? :wtf:

Reflex
27-02-2007, 07:59
they have hit and run and its so awsome.. but i would rather use chamelon skinks to take out war machines... noting like chameleon goodnes.. am i right or what! those guys rock!

back to the dons...

they are good if used well, remeber they have javelins. so TBH when in a unit of 10, i know its like 350 points or something, they are devestating, but thats the problem, they cost alot and they dont survive.. a unit of 5 dose it well though.

Goq Gar
27-02-2007, 08:29
Id rather spend 105 points on rounding up some chameleon skinks (where did they get to? o.o) They're much better at killing war machines, and are far harder to kill.

The dons just dont fill any niches except ignoring terrain, and even then whats the point of that if theyre just going to get blown out of the sky for being the closest unit?

Braad
27-02-2007, 08:33

Just the same, perhaps?
But I think it's quite a nice variation to using only skinks in your army (normal ones and chameleon ones). Gives lot's of opportunity for new tactics.

DaBrode
27-02-2007, 09:19

Aren't all flyers 20" move now?

clangerman
27-02-2007, 13:48
Some things Terradons can do:

-Mage hunt, 6 ws3 s4 attacks will on average kill off a regular mage (human, elf, skaven) in one go.

-Warmachine hunt easily best most warmachine crews in the game, though i still wouldn't recommend charging a Hellcannon :)

-Hit and Run, they aren't going to be chased after the go in and mage hunt, they don't have to rally again if you charge in and lose (making flank and rear attacks with them a relative safe option, or even front charges against infantry since their average RUN is 11" so the infantry will be unlikely to be able to charge in the next phase).

-Move quickly, there are few units in the lizardmen army that persue 3d6 very useful option to have. And a 20" movement is huge (there is only 1 bad unit of unit flyers in the game and thats the birdmen of catrazza).

-Cheap enough to be sacrificial, 105 points for a min. sized unit isn't much.

-Skirmish + Fly can cover a huge footprint on the table.

They aren't always the best unit at a particular time or against some opponents but they are great. I think you need to practise more with them if you think they are crap, I love my terradons

FatOlaf
27-02-2007, 13:59
Aside from the nice minis and the fluff, I really think Dons are great, so what if they get shot at, that's part of their job, saves the rest of your army getting shot. No, for flyers, apart from Pegasus knights, I rate them highly...