PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves vs. VC

Elyas
20-07-2005, 14:06
Would it be a good idea to take an all spirit army against the VC (besides maybe a couple of spellsingers for dispel dice)? Being ItP means that the VC lose their biggest advantage of causing fear, and since they're cr** in a fight, dryads and treekin will tear through their ranked units like paper. Being skirmishers (and thus not having a rank bonus) means that the dryads will also not have to worry about dire wolves or raised zombies charging them in the flank. Treeking are too expensive to rank up anyway, so they don't have a problem either.

I think the only elves needed with this approach would be spellsingers for dispel dice/scroll caddying and a tooled up alter kindred Highborn (to take on those nasty vamps/hunt down necromancers). I'm unsure of using a Treeman or Treeman Ancient even with this approach due to the seemingly universal disapproval with them.

Xavier
20-07-2005, 16:16
Dont take spell singers, take branch wraiths, same ammount of dispel dice, only difference would be you can have scrolls. Id rather have the branch wraiths as they are combat characters who can be mages..

Steve_VanCity
20-07-2005, 21:31
I too agree that branchwraiths would be a better choice. But if you want a spirit army, then take treemen for fluff reasons, and they are dead hard in combat.

fubukii
21-07-2005, 09:39
if you take a all spirit list you will end up running due to lack of ranks etc etc.

the undead unit will have a +5 CR advantage on you from the start (3 ranks, standard, outnumbering) Also, Im pretty sure Vampires and wights would make quick work out of any tree spirits. As for the treeman i would whip out the suicidal tactic of hand of dust necro, could be a risky move but if it succeeds they lose a 280+ point monster ^.^

i think the best bet vs VC would be units like eternal guard and treekin with get a high volume of attacks therefor can rack up the CR.

Falcon
21-07-2005, 10:47
Remember the wild riders for flank attacks (Perhaps with a battle standard). I had 7 tore through the flanks of 2 units of knights in the previous game I played.

fubukii
21-07-2005, 20:17
yea thats one of the things about undead you have to make sure you do not get flanked as your units normally rely and outnumbering, ranks and flankin/rear bonuses to win the combat

Elyas
23-07-2005, 01:48
if you take a all spirit list you will end up running due to lack of ranks etc etc.

the undead unit will have a +5 CR advantage on you from the start (3 ranks, standard, outnumbering) Also, Im pretty sure Vampires and wights would make quick work out of any tree spirits. As for the treeman i would whip out the suicidal tactic of hand of dust necro, could be a risky move but if it succeeds they lose a 280+ point monster ^.^

i think the best bet vs VC would be units like eternal guard and treekin with get a high volume of attacks therefor can rack up the CR.

First of all, I thought that units that are ItP can't run away?

Second, I would indeed much prefer to take EG, but losing a big unit w/ a magical standard and hero just cuz I got outnumbered by zombies doesn't seem like fun to me :( (and I don't trust my character's LD value to help either, since I know my opponent will be packing some Count + Zombie Dragon goodness, which means my hero won't live too long).

User Name
23-07-2005, 04:16
Glade gaurd have far better stats then zombies and might juts be able to provide CR with ranks. Not to mention their arrows are going to wreak havoc on zombies. then the immune to psych spirits can hit the flanks and not have to worrie about taking any tests.

fubukii
23-07-2005, 17:26
just because you are imune to pysc doesnt mean you are unbreakable. It will say the unit is unbreakable if they are. Imune to pysc means imune to fear, terror, panic, Frenzy, etc etc

Alco Engineer
28-07-2005, 03:22
But being immune to fear takes out one of the biggest advantages in a VC army. without that you just have a bunch of really poor troops and a couple of powerful units/characters

Frankly
28-07-2005, 04:12
W.E. can get a L.d. Commander anyway, thats usually good enough to get your charges off, once in combat you should be winning(flank and rare charges are all important.

It really depends on how he plays his V.C. that determans your WE troops seletion.

Nuffing Fear, doesn't mean your going to roll over a V.C. player, it's only one advantage, you still have to deal with his magic phase, his cheeper troop selection, a his good unit selection, etc, etc. I'd be more inclined on building an over all solid WE armylist and not worrying about his list, since V.C. can turn up with anything on the day.

If anything I'd look at new W.E. advantages of mobility and speed to get in there and do loads of damage that relays to CR and extra damages against undead troops. I could see an W.E. with dryads and wild riders doing really well against alot of V.C. armylists. Backing yourunit selection up with 2 scroll caddies with 4 dispel scrolls to negate his magic phase and you could give him amd most other armies a hard time.

Glade guard look like a good option for taking out supporting unit like dire wolves, War dancers look as if they'll be able to smack around skellies and zombies, I just wonder if they'll be to much of a points sink to waste on zombies units though.