PDA

View Full Version : Man at Arms and Orko

elmolovesthekroot
14-02-2007, 19:54
I was thinking of a new strategy for the Men at Arms for the Bretonnians...have a Paladin go with them. He could give them good leadership and a force on the charge since the Knights of the Realm do pretty well on there own (except against the Vampire Counts).

Remember, Paladins are only Hero Choices so you have have several even in a sub 2000 pt army.

Elmo

PS: Anybody remember He-Man and the Masters of the Universe? One of the
main charachters was Man at Arms! Cool.

Gutlord Grom
15-02-2007, 01:00
Don't they have to be mounted? If not, go for it. Poor infatry always benifits from a skilled character.

Reflex
15-02-2007, 01:24
you can give them a virtue that lets them walk...

but i am not sure if they can join men at arms... for some reason.. i thinks its go to do with the vows and stuff... if not then a paladin can... or a lord for that matter...

JonnyTHM
15-02-2007, 05:13
To answer all the above concerns:

1) So what if they're mounted, there's no penalty whatsoever for that. In fact there are benefits.

2) Taking the virtue just lets them confer their leadership with a better range, and be fielded on foot (saving some points compared to their mounted compatriots with the virtue) but again THERE IS NO NEED FOR HIM TO BE ON FOOT.

3) A hero can join a unit with a lesser vow, it's the reverse that's forbidden (i.e. a hero with the questing vow cannot join a unit of grail knights)

laughingman
15-02-2007, 05:37
i agree, let him stick to the horse, and join the unit riding strong.[dice0]

Vattendroppe
15-02-2007, 07:25
I think it would look cooler to have him on foot, besides you can then use his leadership on 3 men-at-arms units that are beside eachoteher and then field another paladin in the fourth on the wide (fifth if also that paladin is on foot, but since the virtues cost dubble up for the second one that gets them, it seems not to be a good idea).

It would be awsome to have an army consisting of some paladins, maybe a damsel (just for magical protection), one smaller unit of KotR and maybe one smaller unit of knights errants. Then only peasants and yeomen! To represent the "army" of peasants striding to battle when defending their village with just some knights that happened to live in the neighbourhood!

Reflex
15-02-2007, 07:41
I spoke to a hard core bretonnians player (it either the bretonnian way or no way to him....) and he has done this before... it dosent work very well simply because the men at arms cant support him and if the enemy is smart they usually challange the paladin with there champion effectivly making the men at arms pointless and visa versa with the paladin...

thats what his general speak is...

elmolovesthekroot
15-02-2007, 11:41
I spoke to a hard core bretonnians player (it either the bretonnian way or no way to him....) and he has done this before... it dosent work very well simply because the men at arms cant support him and if the enemy is smart they usually challange the paladin with there champion effectivly making the men at arms pointless and visa versa with the paladin...

thats what his general speak is...

Well just trying to find out a way to get better with the men at arms units. They need to kill some Lizardmen(opponents army usually).

Elmo

Wings of Doom
15-02-2007, 17:24
And you could just accept the challenge with the Men at Arms Champion.

JonnyTHM
15-02-2007, 17:27
Remember that all knights are also 6" generals for peasants, so the vow isn't needed for him to be an effective general for surrounding peasants, the vow just increases that to 12".

The men at arms can be used to provide much needed ranks to a paladin who's been left to defend trebuchets and archers.

druchii
15-02-2007, 21:29
Well just trying to find out a way to get better with the men at arms units. They need to kill some Lizardmen(opponents army usually).

Elmo

I'd just not use them :D

Honestly though, since the new book has been released, I've attempted to play with an ALL peasant(hereby referred to as MUPPIT(s))) army, or a mix of both knights and muppets.

Each and every time I've found that the muppets let me down.

I find the large issue to be that you just simply cannot get enough of them on the board. While they're quite a steal with all their gear, they just can't stand up to, really, any other ranked unit in the game, except parhaps goblins(who are cheaper..).

Although Mounted Yeomen are pure gold. Golden, glorious muppets.

d

Reflex
15-02-2007, 21:31

Elmo

now your first problem is, you want to use men at arms... if you want pesants, the only pesants worth taking are Bowmen or mounted Yeomen....

if you want to beat lizardmen, dont bother going any magic at all... it will be a waste of points on your part, just take as many tolled up paladins/lords you can, dump them in knights errant or KotR units, take a treb and some Yeoman and you should be able to take down pretty much anything...

Skinks i know... thats what the Yeoman are for... i suppose you could take Men at arms for these buggers, but even then a unit of KotR will just smash through them and go into the unit behind them...

Alathir
16-02-2007, 02:40
I constantly take two units of 25 men at arms who are supported by a grail reliquae, I throw the paladin in the grail reliquae, give him the virtue of empathy and you have a pretty strong flank there.... from time to time I stick the BSB inside the reliquae and then you've seriously got something that shouldnt be running anytime soon.

It's interesting that hardly anyone else does this... I find myself with an empathy paladin in all my bret lists.

Vattendroppe
16-02-2007, 06:15
I constantly take two units of 25 men at arms who are supported by a grail reliquae, I throw the paladin in the grail reliquae, give him the virtue of empathy and you have a pretty strong flank there.... from time to time I stick the BSB inside the reliquae and then you've seriously got something that shouldnt be running anytime soon.

It's interesting that hardly anyone else does this... I find myself with an empathy paladin in all my bret lists.

The reason I've never done this is because I've never thought about it... DARN that ought to be a flank thet holds on to everything!

Alathir
16-02-2007, 06:22
Its pretty decent and reliable... plus, the paladin is all you need to tip combats in your favour. Give him the birth sword of carcassonne or something. I always throw my damsels in my men at arms as well, gives them decent protection against magic and it means that the enemy cant afford to ignore my peasants entirely.

Vattendroppe
16-02-2007, 06:23
Its pretty decent and reliable... plus, the paladin is all you need to tip combats in your favour. Give him the birth sword of carcassonne or something.

Today when I get home from school, I'll start to post the TK list I wrote yesterday, then I'll definatly begin on a new brets list :D