PDA

View Full Version : Busy Busy Busy!

Nid
05-04-2005, 22:23
Spill the beans! When's the busiest you've ever been? For me its coming up, I just got a second job.....and I've got college. Its looking like it will work out to damn near full time hours between the two jobs, as well as my 30 hours a week classes :(

But then again, I am a **** for money. So....how long do you guys think 60-70 hour weeks can go on before one burns out? My friend claims he's worked a 100 hour week....but I never know with him.

Yog Sogoth
05-04-2005, 22:57
Spill the beans! When's the busiest you've ever been? For me its coming up, I just got a second job.....and I've got college. Its looking like it will work out to damn near full time hours between the two jobs, as well as my 30 hours a week classes :(

But then again, I am a **** for money. So....how long do you guys think 60-70 hour weeks can go on before one burns out? My friend claims he's worked a 100 hour week....but I never know with him.

Well lets see. If you sleep exactly eight hours a day and are doing something the other twelve hours that leaves you with 112 wake hours a week. subtract your jobs and school and you can see how much free time you have:

112 hours minus work= 42-52hours
42-52 hours minus school=12-22 free time hours left?

Your sanity will depend on what kind of job it is, and how much you like school. Unfortunately I remember you had some what of a coffee addiction, otherwise I would tell you coffee is your best friend now. The problem with working that much for me is the time. Whenever I get it, its too early or too late and I'm usually too tired from working to do anything I want to.

Good luck!

The busiest I've ever been is working at a comic book store (currently still working there). We had to move the entire store twice in the last four months, that means 14 hour work days and working weeks in a row. It sucks. I want to quit. And I will!

inquisitorautry
06-04-2005, 04:20
...So....how long do you guys think 60-70 hour weeks can go on before one burns out?...

I've done it for about a month and then hit a wall and had to take a day or two off, then I did it again. A lot of it depends on the jobs and what your classes are like. The more demanding they are the harder it will be to pull off. Just remember which of the three is the most important (probably college) and quit or cut back hours at one of the jobs if it becomes too much.

Samoth
06-04-2005, 14:02
Probably the last few weeks of school with the final exams, qcs tests and work. Felt busy then, but I realise now it wasnt that bad.

The boyz
06-04-2005, 18:29
The busiest I have ever been was when i was sillaging.When we where cutting a field of wheat. We had three tractors on the go. One with a mower one with a hay bob and the other with a baler. Trying to cut, row up and bale this field in one go.Before the weather turned. I was pretty busy that day.

Sojourner
06-04-2005, 19:37
To be fair Yog, working in a comic store sounds like quite a cool job when you're not doubling as removal man.

I don't work very hard. I'd rather be poor than waste my time with work.

Wez
06-04-2005, 20:00
The hardest I probably work is the night before a coursework deadline. :rolleyes:

I don't have a job though. I'm with Sojourner here. Currently I have enough to get by happily and I'm content. I may not be able to buy that much (heck, haven't bought GW for over 2 months... this is a record!), but I have enough to go out once or twice a week and it gets topped up at Christmas/ Bday, so I don't really need more. Also, not having money means others don't leech off you. Seeing as both rents work fulltime, I get paid to do some housework. That'll do nicely for the time being.

-Wez

perionyx
06-04-2005, 20:03
I suppose I'm at the point where I'm more Busy than ever now. Working 2 jobs, totaling 55-60 hours a week, But I also spend every possible day off or 12+ hr. Free time at my old Folk's house.

Rebuilding a Deck, Retaining wall, lawn and Pool-care.. Butler/maid-stuff inside, some cooking and all the dishes.. ;) I've had two jobs and School before all at once, but this is rougher on my time and body than ever before...Methinks.

I'm exhausted, but really just waiting for this Summer's vacation to London.. <grin>

Yog Sogoth
07-04-2005, 03:56
To be fair Yog, working in a comic store sounds like quite a cool job when you're not doubling as removal man.

I don't work very hard. I'd rather be poor than waste my time with work.

Oh I don't know about that. Its a lot of work. There is *never* a time where I can sit down and relax. There is always something that needs to be done. Dealing with yu-gioh kids for hours on end. Sorting, bagging, grading, pricing filing, mountains of backissues that just keep coming in. It's not fun work, its boring and my boss is overbearing. My friend actually hired me and because of personal reasons he has been treating me like s*&t at work for the last week. I was also living with him and another friend. Big mistake.

An hour ago I moved out of the apt and quit.

I feel a whole lot better.

VanHel
08-04-2005, 21:08
I've been putting in about about 40 hours into my job at the butcher's shop ontop of going to college full-time for the last few months.

Scope17
10-04-2005, 10:40
Hey nid, nice to see ya again. As allways trying to hurt ur self LOL

but 2 jobs + college bit over the top ant it??? i mean do u rilly need the money soo baddly...

but yeh drink lots of esspresos and red Bull :D or if ur in uk and want to be cheap like me XD, superdrug sell Power booster 60p per can :D and each can contains somthing like 60mg of caffine :D hehehehe tastes good too.

But if ya like school :confused: then im sure u'll make it with 2 jobs and college.

Nid
10-04-2005, 10:44
I want to work 2 jobs so I can move my ass out!

Ass Goblin
11-04-2005, 05:42
I'm at my busiest right now. TAFE + new girlfriend + Job Hunting = Tired Goblin

I'm awaiting a phone call from the company I applied too. They should ring in two week which is good.

Darius Rhiannon
11-04-2005, 11:54
The busiests I have ever been in my life was one week during September in 2000.

Let us see what was happening that week.
1) Lead actor in a amateur dramatic performance. Final rehearsals. 17:00- 21:00. Every Night. All week long.
2) Newly Promoted Layout Editor at the largest student newspaper on the entire continent. Layout for the sections took place Tuesday and Wednesday. 21:00 - 05:00
3) Class, 07:30 - 16:30
4) Writing a play for submission (10,000 words on friday morning before 10:00. (Thursday, 21:00 to Friday 08:00)
5) Run an extensive seduction one on one of the girls in the play, as well as one at the newspaper, one in class... They were really attracted by the vitality I was showing for live, the ambition, the deciveness, the determination to live life to the full... :rolleyes:

I slept about 5 hours that entire work week :eek: , in fact I lived on campus the entire Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. That play was the best I have ever written. The professor who doesn't believe in 90%'s gave me 98%. With the comment... "a brilliant piece of absurdist theatre" :D

Also during the layout everyone was very impressed with my "energy" (coffee, student newspaper coffe) To make ... Take a filter, filter 1000's of cups through it, do not replace the filter, buy strong coffee run it through there. Run it through their again. Add sugar. It tastes vile, and strips the enamel off your teeth. But it could re-animate the dead.

I enjoyed the sleep I had over the weeked, because it was the weekend.
The joys of being young and dedicated.

Sojourner
11-04-2005, 11:58
I find once you go 24 hours without sleep and keep busy, you stop needing it. You know, when you're so tired that you stop telling yourself what you can't do.

Wez
11-04-2005, 21:45
I find once you go 24 hours without sleep and keep busy, you stop needing it. You know, when you're so tired that you stop telling yourself what you can't do.
There's a point where you simply can't sleep anymore. I'm not sure the exact point (I'm sure it varies form person to person), but after that moment you won't get to sleep for a long while, as your body simply rejects it. I'd advise against finding that point if you value your long-term sleep patterns.;)

-Wez

Crazy Harborc
12-04-2005, 01:30
I seem to remember somebodies "rule" about "whatever you have to do will expand it's time needed to complete it to take up ALL the time you have".

The busiest I ever was, was different from time to time throughout my worklife. Then there is now.........My wife and I agree that these days we feel busier than when we were working. I guess our little internal timekeepers are keeping us busy, busy, busy doing nothing!! :D

Being too busy does help you to enjoy those rare times you've got nothing to do and plenty of time to do it. :)