PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Squat Codex Part one

Trench_Raider
20-07-2005, 20:03
Ok, the discussion of Squats in another thread has inspired me to re-post my unofficial Squat Codex. It first apeared here a number of years ago and for the most part got a warm reception. It whas been praised pretty much everywere I have posted it and was voted the best RT conversion on the 40k Squats Yahoo group.

However since the old Portent archives are long gone and there have been untold new members since it first apeared, it's time for me to repost it. Also, as few of today's players have actually read the original Squat army list it will help to dispell some popular misconceptions and myths about what the Squats were as this is an extremely faithful conversion of the original list.

It was originally written for 3rd edition, so it should not be too hard to make it work under 4th as well. Fell free to post any comments, constructive critisism, or sugestions.

Enjoy!

"Trench Raider"

Trench_Raider
20-07-2005, 20:05
Codex:Squats!!

One Wag at rec.games.miniatures.warhammer once said it best; "there are far more Squat partisans now than there ever were actual Squat players”. True enough...

Having said this, it is my opinion that Squats should still be a viable Warhammer 40k army. I'm not alone in this thought, and a simple search of the 'net turns up a large number of unofficial Squat codexes. Unfortunately most of these tend to over-power the army. It seems that most wish to make "cheesy" Squat armies that rival anything that Gavin Thorpe could ever write. Furthermore, even the best of these D.I.Y. codexes tend to rely on wholesale invention and often vary too much from the spirit of the original Squat army list.

With this in mind, I present my own entry into the field. "Codex: Squats" is a close a straight conversion of the original army list as I could manage under third edition 40k. A few items of wargear that were present in the original list have been reinvented and stats and points for Robots have been added using the VDR.

Enjoy!

Note: Fluff nazis will note that I have not included any background for "Codex: Squats". I decided on this for two reasons. The first is simply to save both space and time. Second is the (probably faulty) assumption that most potential Squat players will be quite familiar with the "fluff" regarding the race. Those who are not are encouraged to read the material presented in the original "Rogue Trader" rulebook and the "Warhammer 40k Compendium"

Furthermore, a familiarity with the rules and basic weapons of 40k is assumed.

Special Rules

"Squat of foot" Squats tend to be short (less than 5 feet tall), fat, and well.... squat! Needless to say they are not nearly as mobile as other races. To reflect this, all Squats not mounted on bikes or trikes move only 4 inches in the movement phase. Furthermore they roll 2d6-1 (that is, they roll 2 dice, choose the highest, and subtract one from it - minimum move distance of one inch) when moving through rough terrain. However due to their penchant for getting "stuck in" to close combat, they still assault an unmodified six inches and roll 2d6 for sweeping advances like any other infantry.

"Bigger is Better": Most armies have restrictions on arming character models with heavy and special weapons. However Squat characters may choose such arms from the Squat armory. This reflects the extremely practical nature of the race. (not to mention the tradition of the Rogue Trader Squat list) The only exception is living ancestors, who may only pick one-handed weapons. (they are too old and feeble to be lugging about a las-cannon!) Note also that heavy weapons may NOT be master-crafted.

Squat Armoury
A Squat character may have up to two one handed weapons or a two handed weapon and a one handed weapon. In addition he may be equipped with up to 100 points of additional wargear. (note that Squats in exo armor may one have weapons and wargear marked with "*".

One handed weapons
bolt pistol------2 pt plasma pistol------10 pts
power weapon----10 pts* close combat weapon-----1 pt
storm shield-----10 pts power fist-----15 pts*
chain fist-----(exo armor only)----20 pts* las pistol------1 pt
Doom lance(exo-armored bike riders only)-----15 pts* Sawn off shotgun---1 pts

Two handed weapons
Las gun-----1 pts Bolter------2 pts* storm bolter---------5 pts
Melta gun------10 pts plasma gun-----6 pts flamer------6 pts
auto cannon-----20 pts grenade launcher--4 pts heavy bolter-----15 pts
plasma cannon----35 pts las-cannon-----35 pts Graviton Gun(guildmasters only)----20 pts
multi-melta-----35 pts missile launcher----20 pts

Wargear
Scanner-----2 pts* Bionics-----10 pts* Mechanic's tools----5 pts*
Conversion field-----25 pts krak grenades----2 pts med kit-------5 pts
Refractor field----15 pts frag grenades------1 pt
master-crafted weapons--5 pts* melta bombs----5 pts
Carapace armor----10 pts
Exo-Armour(warlord and hearthguard only)----25 pts
Brotherhood banner (hearthguard only, limit one only.)----20 pts*
Squat bike(independent characters only)---35 pts*

Squat vehicle upgrades
Dozer blade------5 pts Extra armor-----5 pts
Pintle mounted storm bolter---10 pts HK missile-----15 pts searchlight----1 pt smoke launchers-----3 pts

Graviton Gun---Originally designed for mining and industrial use, the graviton gun has been pressed into service by the ever-practical Squats as a weapon. This piece of arcane technology manipulates the effect that gravity has on an object and, if turned on a person, will completely pin its victim. Fortunately the effects are short lived. Any unit or character hit by a graviton gun must make an immediate pin test using 3d6 rather than the usual 2d6. This applies even to fearless troops and is recovered from the following turn as usual. There is no need to roll to wound and there is no armor save.
Graviton gun----- assault 1 range: 12 inches. str--n/a ap--n/a

Storm shield---This is a small shield fitted with a power field generator. It is much used in the tunnel fighting that is so common on the Squat home worlds. It confers a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat only. Note that the storm shield may only be used against one opponent per turn.

Brotherhood banner---Most Squat brotherhoods carry their banner into action. This tends to inspire the already fierce Squats into even greater acts of bravery. Any assault that takes place within 6" of the Brotherhood banner may add +1 to the combat resolution.

Conversion field--This is a sophisticated personal force field that converts incoming energy into light. These sorts of fields are very rare and only one model in the army may be equipped with one. The conversion field confers a 4+ invulnerable save instead of his normal armor save.

Med kit---This is a first aid kit and various combat drugs used to stabilize combat casualties. If a model in a unit has a med kit, then it may re-roll the first failed save of each turn. This, of course, will not work on a model what suffers an "instant kill" or against a weapon that does not allow an armor save.

Squat bike---Squat bikes are equipped with twin linked bolters and confer +1 toughness to the rider. Unlike most bikes, Squats wearing exo-armor MAY be riders. If a one model in a unit has bikes, then all must.

Exo-armor--These massive suits of powered armor were originally designed for tunnel fighting where the warrior could expect large amounts of incoming fire with no available cover. Due to the extremely stable nature of the armor, the model wearing it may fire his bolter as if he has not moved. (that is he may fire once up to 24" and shoot twice at 12" or less). Furthermore the sophisticated targeting hardware allows the model to re-roll misses as if the weapon were twin-linked.
Due to it's massive armor plates and protective force fields, exo-armor gives the wearer either a 2+ normal armor save or a +5 invulnerable save in the same manner as Imperial terminator armor. Exo-armor also gives the wearer +1 attack in close combat.

Doom lance: This is a close combat weapon favored by mounted Hearthguard troops. Characters in exo-armor mounted on bikes may only take it. A Doom lance may only be used when charging and for that round only doubles the models initiative score, adds +2 and str and ignore armor saves. However, a model using a laser lance is reduced to one attack for the first round regardless of the actual numbers of attacks it might have.

Sawn off shotgun-----This is simply a shotgun that has been severely amputated at both the barrel and stock to produce a pistol-like weapon. They are also sometimes known as "whippet guns" due to the fact they can "whipped out" from concealment. Such weapons are popular with outlaws, Orks, and Squats for obvious reasons.

Sawn off shotgun: Assault2 str-3 Range-6"
note although an assault weapon, the sawn off shotgun can be used like a pistol in close combat, thus conferring an extra attack when used in conjunction with a close combat weapon, etc..

Mechanic's tools---Any model in base-to-base contact with a vehicle that is either immobilized or suffering a destroyed weapon may repair said damage on a roll of a "six" on a d6.

Refractor field---This is the simplest of the personal power fields. It absorbs the energy of incoming fire and (hopefully) directs it elsewhere. It confers a +5 invulnerable save. Needless to say field saves may not be combined with each other or any other armor save.

Bionics----Some veteran Squats have been fitted with bionic limbs and modifications after suffering horrific injuries in prior battles. At the end of a turn were a Squat with Bionics has been "killed", he may be returned to action with one wound on a roll of "six".

Scanner----Any infiltrating enemy units who set up within 4d6 of a unit with a scanner may be shot at for free at the beginning of the game by the unit with the scanner. This "free shot" takes place before the battle begins and normal shooting rules apply.

Carapace armor---Some Squat nobles wear ancient armored breastplates passed down from generation to generation. Carapace breastplates confer a 4+ armor save.

Any weapon or piece of wargear not described above is detailed in "Codex: Space marines", or “Codex: Imperial Guard” and players are directed there for stats and descriptions.

Trench_Raider
20-07-2005, 20:06
HQ

1 Squat Warlord
Pts-50 WS-5 BS-5 S-4 T-4 W-3 I-4 A-3 LD-10 SV-4+
options----The warlord may have any equipment allowed by the Squat armory.

Special Rules: Independent character: Unless accompanied by Hearthguard, the warlord is an independent character as described in the 40k rulebook.
Squat of foot: The warlord is Squat of foot as described above.
Hearth Guard: The Warlord may be accompanied by his hearthguard of trusted nobles.

0-1 Living Ancestor
Pts-45 WS-3 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-2 A -1 LD-10 SV-4+
Options: the Living ancestor may have any equipment allowed by the Squat armory.

Special rules: Independent character: The Living ancestor is an independent character as described in the 40k rulebook.
Squat of foot: The living ancestor is Squat of foot as described above.
Psychic power---Force Dome: At the beginning of the Squat turn pick one unit within 6" of the living ancestor. Until the beginning of the next Squat turn that unit may re-roll all failed armor and cover saves.

Hearthguard
Pts-25 WS-5 BS-5 S-4 T-4 W-2 I-3 A-2 LD-9 SV-4+

You must take 4 (no more and no less) as a bodyguard for the Squat warlord.<br>
Options: Each member of the Hearthguard may be individually equipped from the Squat armory.
Note that if one member of the Hearthguard rides a bike, then all must do so.<br>
Special rules: The hearthguard is Squat of foot as described above.
Note that the warlord with a Hearthguard bodyguard count as a single HQ choice.
Transport vehicle: If the Hearthguard and Warlord are not mounted on bikes, they may mounted in a rhino for 50 pts.

Elites
0-1 Guildmaster
pts-30 WS-5 BS-5 S-4 T-4 W-2 I-3 A-2 LD-10 SV-4+
Options: The Guildmaster may take any equipment allowed by the Squat armory.<br>
Special Rules: Independent character: The Guildmaster is an independent character as described in the 40k rules.
Squat of foot: The Guildmaster is squat of foot as described above.
Technical wizard: The guildmaster may repair damaged vehicles as if he were equipped with "mechanic's tools" without actually paying for them. Also due to his High-tech targeting equipment and range finders, any squad lead by a Guildmaster may reroll one to-hit roll each turn.
0-2 Imperial Advisors
Techpriest----pts-30 WS-3 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-3 A-2 LD-7 SV-3+
Imperial Commisar-----pnts-40 WS-4 BS-4 S-3 T-3 W-2 I-4 A-3 LD-10 SV-5+
Equipment: The Commissar has a las pistol and a close combat weapon. The Techpriest has a las pistol and a power weapon.<br>
Options: The Techpriest (actually an advisor from the Adeptus mechanicus) may have a graviton gun for 20 pts and a refractor field for 15 points. The Commissar may have any equipment and wargear from the Imperial Guard Officer's armory.

Special rules----Independent character: The Imperial advisors are independent characters as described in the 40k rulebook.
Advisors: Imperial advisors may accompany Squat units, but may not lead them.

Note: As the commissar is operating in strictly an advisory role, he is not subject to the special rules outlined in "Codex: Imperial Guard" and will therefore not shoot any Squats.
0-2 Imperial Guard Allies
The Squat army may choose up to two elite or troop choices from "Codex: Imperial Guard" as elite choices. All rules governing these Imperial guard units apply. Note that no Squat characters may join or lead I.G. allies. This does not apply to Imperial advisors, who may lead such units as normal.

Troops
Squat Combat Squads
Squat-----Pts-9 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-2 A-1 LD-9 SV-5+
Vetran Squad Leader----Pts-+10 pnts WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-2 A-2 LD-9 SV-5+
Squad: the squad consists of one Squad leader and seven Squats.
Weapons: The Squad has either a las-gun or a las-pistol and a close combat weapon. Note that the squad may field a mixture of different weapons.
Options: The whole squad may have frag grenades for 1 pt. per model and/or krak grenades at 2 pts per model. Up to one model may have One of the following weapons: plasma gun +6 pts, melta gun +10 pts, flamer +6 pts, grenade launcher +4 pts autocannon +20 pts, heavy bolter +15 pts, missile launcher +20 pts, lascannon 35 pts, multi-melta +35 pts, or a plasma cannon +35 pts. The whole Squad may replace its las-gun or las-pistols with bolt guns or bolt pistols for 1 pt. per model.
Character: The Squad leader may be upgraded to a veteran Squad leader for +10 pts. The Veteran Squad leader may have any additional equipment from the Squat armory.

Transport: The Combat Squad may be mounted in a Rhino for an extra cost of 50 pts.
Transport: Rhino
pts-50 front armor-11 side armor-11 rear armor-10 BS-3
Weapons: The rhino is armed with a storm bolter
Options: The rhino may be equipped with any of the vehicle upgrade mentioned above.
Transport: The Rhino may carry up to 10 models. (characters in exo armor count as 2 models)
Fast Attack

Guild Bike Squad
Squat biker------pts 22 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4(5) W-1 I-2 A-1 LD-9 SV-5+
Vetran Squad Leader---pts +10 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4(5) W-1 I-2 A-2 LD-9 SV-5+
Squad: The Squad consists of one Squad leader and seven Squat bikers.
Weapons: Each bike is fitted with twin bolters. The Squat biker is armed with a las-pistol and close combat weapon.

Options: Up to two squat bikers may replace their las pistol with a plasma pistol for 6 pts.
Character: The Squad leader may be upgraded to a veteran Squad leader for +10 pts. The Veteran squad leader may have any equipment from the Squat armory.
Guild Weapon Trikes
Weapon trike----pnts 30 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4(5) W-1 I-2 A-1 LD-9 SV-4+
Squad: the Squadron consists of between one and three Guild Weapon Trikes.
Weapons: Each bike is fitted with twin linked bolters and a heavy bolter. Each Squat rider has a las pistol and a close combat weapon.
Option: Each trike may replace its heavy bolter with any of the following weapons: Autocannon +5 pts, missile launcher +5 pts, lascannon +20 pts, multi-melta +20 pts, or a plasma cannon +20 pts.

Heavy Support

Squat Thunderer Squads
Squat-----pts 9 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-2 A-1 LD-9 SV-5+
Vetran Squad leader pnts +10 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4(5) W-1 I-2 A-2 LD-9 SV-5+
Squad: the Squad consists of one Squad leader and seven squats.
Weapons: The Squad has las-guns.
Options: Any model in the unit may replace its las-gun with a bolter for +1 pt. Any model in the unit may have a heavy bolter for +15 pts. Up to one model may have one of the following weapons: plasma gun +6 pts, melta gun +10 pts, flamer +6 pts, grenade launcher +4 pts autocannon +20 pts, missile launcher +20 pts, lascannon 35 pts, multi-melta +35 pts, or a plasma cannon +35 pts.
Character: The squad leader may be upgraded to a veteran squad leader for +10 pts. The veteran Squad leader may have any equipment permitted by the Squat armory.
Transport vehicle: The Squad may be mounted in a Rhino for 50 pts.
Brotherhood Heavy Weapons Teams
Squat Gunner-----pts 9 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-4 W-1 I-2 A-1 LD-9 SV-5+
Battery: Each battery consists of between one and three heavy weapons.

Weapons: Each battery must be armed with the same type of weapon from the following list: mole mortar 20 pts, rapier 75 pts, thudd gun 40 pts, or a tarantula with either a twin linked lascannon, multi-melta, or plasma cannon 75 pts.

Crew: Three crew armed with las pistols or las guns.

Special rules: Mole Mortar: A mole mortar is equivalent to (and uses the same rules as) an Imperial Guard mortar except that a mole mortar may effect units in bunkers.

Rapier: The Rapier has been dealt with in an issue of Citadel Journal. However if the play does not have access to this issue, the stats are included below. . Rapier: Heavy1 (twin linked) range: 48 Str: 10 Ap: 1

Thudd Gun: The Thudd gun has the following special stats:
Thudd Gun: Heavy1 (ordinance) range 36 str: 5 Ap:5 The Thudd gun uses the rules for ordinance weapons.

Tarantula: The tarantula counts as a twin linked weapon on the type specified. Note that unlike the other weapons in this section, Tarantulas may move 6" and shoot.

Crew hit: All of the weapons aside from the mole mortar randomize all hits to the unit according to a d6 roll. 1-3 hits a crewman 4-6 hits the weapon. Any hit on a weapon resolves the hit against armor of 10. Any glancing or penetrating hit destroys the weapon. Mole mortars are assumed to be too small to hit and all hits strike crewmen.

Land Raider
Land Raider---Pnts 225 Front armour-14 side armour-14 Rear armour-14 BS-3
Weapons; The land raider is armed with two twin linked las-cannons and a twin linked heavy bolter.
Options: The land raider may have any of the vehicle upgrades detailed above.
Transport: The land raider may carry 10 models. (exo-armored models count as two for transportation purposes)

Note that Squat land raider may not use the "Machine Spirit" special rules found in the "Index Astartes".

Freak Ona Leash
20-07-2005, 20:07
EDIT:Er, is it just me or did x-esiv's post just poof? And nice Coex by the way Trench. Now how about a Squatwing army?

Trench_Raider
20-07-2005, 20:07
Robots
Each Robot must be chosen from one of the types shown below.
Conqueror---- pnts 145 WS-3 BS-4 S-4(8) front-12 side-11 rear-11 I-3 A-1
Type: walker
Weapons: autocannon, heavy bolter, dreadnaught close combat weapon, and targeter (increased BS shown above)
Castellan-----pnts 125 WS-3 BS-4 S-4(8) front-12 side-11 rear-11 I-3 A-2
Type: Walker
Weapons: heavy bolter, two dreadnaught close combat weapons, and targeter (increased BS shown above)
Cataphract---- pnts 107 WS-3 BS-4 S-4 front-12 side-11 rear-11 I-3 A-1
Type: walker
Weapons: Las-cannon, bolter, flamer, and targeter (increased BS shown above)
Colosuss----- pnts 105 WS-3 BS-4 S-4(8) front-12 side-11 rear-11 I-3 A-1
Weapons: bolter, melta-gun, dreadnaught close combat weapon, and targeter (increased BS shown above)
Crusader---- pnts 123 WS-3 BS-4 S-4 front-12 side-11 rear-11 I-3 A-2
Weapons: two power weapons, las-cannon, and targeter (increased BS shown above).

x-esiv-4c
20-07-2005, 20:13
Well, it's a real treat to see those robots there, staying true to their configuration and all. It's a shame that the EPIC line of squats didn't include smaller vehicles. No chance of fielding a Colussus or Cyclops in 40k.

Did you ever consider doing some home-grown vehicles? Perhaps Squats should have access to "Termite" vehicle family, They are miners after all.

Overall the list shows excellent promise and quite frightening when you realize how easy a squat force can rip apart a highly mechanized army.

EDIT: I deleted my first post up there Freak so that Trenchies codex would run together.

Freak Ona Leash
20-07-2005, 20:13
Hmm, could you space each entry out a little please Trench? Makes it easier to read.

Trench_Raider
20-07-2005, 20:38
x-esiv-4c

Did you ever consider doing some home-grown vehicles? Perhaps Squats should have access to "Termite" vehicle family, They are miners after all.

Not really. This is intended to be a straight conversion of the Squat list as presented in the 40k compendium. In the original list the only vehicles permiited to Squats were Land Raiders, Rhinos, and the various Robots.

If I were to design an updated list I would be sure to include some of the concepts seen in the Epic rules.

Freak Ona Leash-

Hmm, could you space each entry out a little please Trench? Makes it easier to read.

sorry, due to the way the forum is set up that's impossible. Cut and paste the list to a text document and add your own spacing if you are having trouble reading it.

"Trench Raider"

Pertinax
20-07-2005, 21:08
Looks good. I'll have to point it out to a friend of mine that has shelved his squat army.

xenopsyllus
20-07-2005, 21:12
Comments/suggestions as I come to them while reading your codex:

- you could use d4s for difficult terrain movement

- allow exo-armor to assault after firing rapid fire weapons (4th ed update)

- Ooh, I like the sawn off shotgun. :D

- Trikes should get +1 Attack and +1 Wound, not +1 Save (4th ed update to mirror SM attack bikes)

Overall, I like it. It still needs some more options for Elites and Troops. I don't have my RT books with me (obviously not something I carry around on a regular basis), so the only additions I can think of right now would be a veterans unit as an Elite choice.

Axel
20-07-2005, 23:09
Codex:Squats!!
Exo-armor--These massive suits of powered armor were originally designed for tunnel fighting where the warrior could expect large amounts of incoming fire with no available cover. Due to the extremely stable nature of the armor, the model wearing it may fire his bolter as if he has not moved. (that is he may fire once up to 24" and shoot twice at 12" or less).

I assume that this was originally written for the 3rd edition, for the 4rd edition rule render half of this advantage obsolete (you can always fire twice at less then 12").

Great work, so far.

x-esiv-4c
20-07-2005, 23:48
heh, just watch the next issue of black-gobbo do a feature on Squats.

Puffin Magician
21-07-2005, 00:05
In the original list the only vehicles permiited to Squats were Land Raiders, Rhinos, and the various Robots.
Saying Squats in 4th should have only these vehicles is like saying the Eldar should have a Tempest rather than a Falcon, and still have access to the generic "Heavy Plasma Gun". Races have evolved with the game, so should the Squats. Even if it's very similar to the Imperial vehicles [maybe the Squats still maintain their predecessors?] and has equivalent 40k rules, something simply "different" would add flavour to the army. That said, I certainly don't think you should exempt Land Raiders and Rhinos from the list.

The Squats were rather good at building rugged vehicles and converting existing ones for military service; if they're allowed the Mole Mortar [which should be changed to include the Airburst option] and Thudd Gun, why not expand them to include Termite or even Mole Tunnellers? And if not them, then a few vehicles that differentiate them from the Imperium. Yes, they shared lots of technology but this list contains no Squat-only vehicles. Obviously only megabattles would see the use of the Hellbore Tunneller, Land Train, Cyclops, Colossus, and Leviathan.

And the entire Thunderer Squad being allowed to take Heavy Bolters [8 total]? Balance that out a bit, please.

Kensai X
21-07-2005, 00:06
That's like reallly good list, hopefully the guys at my club will allow me to use these rules for my squat army. Although, the one mistake I can see is the Commissar, they now have 2 attacks instead of 3 (ever sense 3rd edition.)

xenopsyllus
21-07-2005, 02:09
After reviewing the old books, I'm thinking the Thunderer squad needs to be restricted to fewer heavy weapons (for updated game balance) and moved to an Elite slot, and the Guildmaster needs a better chance of repairing a vehicle (5+?).

lord_blackfang
21-07-2005, 14:59
I'm not a squat fan, but I have to acknowledge your efforts.

The only thing that really bugs me is that the guys can only move 4" normally, but up to 5" when in difficult terrain. I suggest using 1D3+1 for difficult terrain instead. That would give them a speed of 2-4" with 3 being average. That is 75% or normal speed and so equals with the 4.5" average other races get with on 2D6, pick highest.

Trench_Raider
22-07-2005, 21:20
I really wish that this thread had not been moved to this forum. I inderstand the thinking behind it, but I like for the codex to get the maximum amount of exposure and discussion it can and regulating it to one of the forums low traffic prevent this.

Anyway, a few points:

xenopsyllus- All your points are valid and I will take them into acount when revising the codex...especially those that reflect the rules changes. I just cut and pasted the third ed codex here this time.

x-esiv-4c:

heh, just watch the next issue of black-gobbo do a feature on Squats.

they won't as they no longer make money on them. Now i have always contended that publishing a short "get you by" list or publishing a fan produced list like mine and making it "use with your opponent's aproval only" and at the same time releasing a dozen or so old Squat miniatures via the mail order "classic and collector's section" GW stands to make alot of money as well as healing some of that bad blood.

Puffin Magician-

Saying Squats in 4th should have only these vehicles is like saying the Eldar should have a Tempest rather than a Falcon, and still have access to the generic "Heavy Plasma Gun". Races have evolved with the game, so should the Squats.

I have to say this every time I post this list anywere. My intention was to make a faithful yet competative conversion of the original army list for us nostalgia sick nutters. It was not to adapt and evolve the army as the studio has done with other armies. If I were to write the list from the ground up (as many other Squat list writers have) I would certainly ad some new vehicles or at the very least attempt to add in some of the smaller Epic ones. As it stands, my codex remains true to the original Compendium version.

And the entire Thunderer Squad being allowed to take Heavy Bolters [8 total]? Balance that out a bit, please.

Once again that was in the original list. oddly enough though in playing this list I have found that it is not as unbalanced as you might think. while it is a very deadly unit when faced with opponents like eldar and orks it represents a vry large points investment for a fragile infantry unit. This is even more the case with 4th edition's lack of troop screening. also the low BS of Squats means that it is only marginally more effective than a Marine devistator squad with four heavy bolters.

lord_blackfang-

The only thing that really bugs me is that the guys can only move 4" normally, but up to 5" when in difficult terrain. I suggest using 1D3+1 for difficult terrain instead. That would give them a speed of 2-4" with 3 being average. That is 75% or normal speed and so equals with the 4.5" average other races get with on 2D6, pick highest.

good catch. This is an oversight I have been meaning to fix for some time. Look for a fix in the updated verison.

"Trench Raider"

xenopsyllus
23-07-2005, 19:56
they won't as they no longer make money on them.Unless they did full conversions for them by taking a WFB Dwarf squad box and combining it with a box of IGs (Catachans or Cadians, probably Cadians), thus allowing the gamer to build one of these units for only $70 or so .

I'm sure they'd even let you add it to your online shopping cart with the click of only one button with absolutely no discount for buying a package deal. :rolleyes:

Opus T. Penguin
23-07-2005, 20:06
For the difficult terrain test, say 2d3, add 1 to the highest. Means a range of 2-4 and an average of 3 and 4/9's (3.444444...)

Commissar von Toussaint
29-07-2005, 05:29
I saw this and thought I'd check it out.

Funny thing is, I've been thinking about playing them - or at least a proxy version.

Of course in my edition, their army list is still current. ;)

boogle
29-07-2005, 11:40
don't liek the idea of the Warlord Having to take the Hearth Guard i would also make the Thudd Gun Heavy3 Blast, i would also make the Mole Mortar S6 AP5 with 2D6+6 against bunkers

Bryndyr
29-07-2005, 13:19
What about medics?

I don't have the compendium in front of me, but I am sure I recall seeing a couple of pages on medics in WH40K, and that this included squats.

But then again, I also think that their is a vehicle very similar to the mole from Thunderbirds in either the compendium or RT rulebook that maybe applicable to the squat army list.

Other than that, an excellent piece of work.

boogle
29-07-2005, 17:38
true, i do believe that there are even some Squat medic models