PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings Icon Bearer

Von Wibble
16-02-2007, 13:35
I have only used an Icon Bearer in 1 game. I don't really rate them since they can't fight as well as a tomb prince, and more importantly they contribute nothing to your magic phase. The +1 cr and banner of the hidden dead are of little importance to me compared to these factors imo

Is there anyone who regularly and successfully uses icon bearers? Any tactics for their general use? Or is it just the tomb king version of the engineer?

Chiron
16-02-2007, 13:49
Its generally seen as pretty useless, there are some lovely banners available for TK but his lack of survivability and combat skills means he's very easy to take out

as you said he does nothing to help magic which is the main strength of TK characters, so thats also a big drawback to using him

I am tempted to use him vs Orcs and Gobbos at least once, giving him the banner that stops all enemy marching for a turn

Bloodknight
16-02-2007, 14:22
I do if I play construct heavy with 3 scorpions, one or two giants and ushabti. That additional -1 to crumble is quite helpful. He doesnīt get a banner though, but the brooch of the great desert to sort of make up for the loss of the prince.
The only problem with him is that he canīt put up a fight as heīs not very survivable and has too few attacks. I still wonder why he has two, not three like the comparable wight lords or zombie pirate captain.

DeathlessDraich
16-02-2007, 14:25
The Icon bearer is like a mother-in-law - best ignored!

jahorin
16-02-2007, 15:10
The Icon bearer is like a mother-in-law - best ignored!

it's so true. because when you field the icon bearer people will suspect the banner of the hidden dead, and the surprise is ruin.

but if he's use with construct it can prove quite useful to make them last longer in HtH.

Angelwing
16-02-2007, 15:37
i often take an icon bearer. the bonuses make it worthwhile choice.
i agree a prince will probably pay you back more, but i like fielding armies that are different.
so what if your opponent suspects banner of hidden dead? they will have to adjust their plan to counter the threat which is worth it alone. take a different banner instead to fool your opponent.
i've found his best use is holding the skeleton battle line while the constructs and king do the work.

kyussinchains
16-02-2007, 17:13
my mate took the banner of the hidden dead in one huge battle, I was playing chaos on his side and before the game started I realised he was missing a core unit, so I announed 'hey, you're a core unit short!' and he started telling me to shut up and it was fine...

I didnt take the hint, so I proceeded to count 'one, two three, four see, you need five'

he had his head in his hands at this point.....

I love being dumb sometimes! :D

Vattendroppe
16-02-2007, 17:21
I can think he can be mighty fun though, with the burry-banner and surprise with a rear charge ^^

JonnyTHM
16-02-2007, 19:38
I think that the BSB is being overlooked by people primarily as they're stuck in their ways and haven't evaluated the bonus that it got with the new edition.

The BSB now provides an additional +1 to combat resolution, which makes him a formidable addition to a unit (whether to further reduce crumble by 1, or to increase your ability to win and auto-break).

You can complain all you want about only having 2 attacks etc. but at 65 points (and him already being the BSB -> no need for the +25 point upgrade), you're getting one huge deal in an already high point cost army.

2 WS 4, S 4 killing blow attacks that count as magical aren't nothing either. Yes, his survivability is low, but he's the cheapest BSB this side of a goblin,

Tutore
16-02-2007, 20:12
My brother who plays tomb kings often takes an icon bearer if he uses his ushabti, and then he attaches him at the monsters with a don't remember what banner who gives a +1 to hit. The ushabti then kill everything.

Dwarf Longbeard
16-02-2007, 20:34
I think that the BSB is being overlooked by people primarily as they're stuck in their ways and haven't evaluated the bonus that it got with the new edition.

The BSB now provides an additional +1 to combat resolution, which makes him a formidable addition to a unit (whether to further reduce crumble by 1, or to increase your ability to win and auto-break).

You can complain all you want about only having 2 attacks etc. but at 65 points (and him already being the BSB -> no need for the +25 point upgrade), you're getting one huge deal in an already high point cost army.

2 WS 4, S 4 killing blow attacks that count as magical aren't nothing either. Yes, his survivability is low, but he's the cheapest BSB this side of a goblin,

I've got to agree with this, I've found the I've found the Icon bearer to be quite a helpful little guy.
Also as a complete surprise I use the Standard of the Sands, if its used at the right time it can seriously mess up your enemies plan and give you some great chances at getting the charge on a unit

skyly
16-02-2007, 20:50
the only worthwhile use i ever had for this man , is to carry the mirrage standard in against a gunline

jahorin
16-02-2007, 21:04
you can give the mirage standard to tomb guard to protect them.

the standard of the cursing words could be useful if you want to get rid of champion in front him. or just the good ol' war banner and there you go +3 combat result (including the regular standard in the unit he is.

dominic_carrillo
17-02-2007, 00:12
id play one in like, a 10,000 pt game, where the rest of my heroes are one tomb king and a ton of priests.
on the bright side, he is cheap, and the banner comes with him. isnt he like 65 pts?

IronBrother
17-02-2007, 05:05
I take an Icon bearer with the Banner of the Sands in my Khalida army and it basically allows me at least 3 turns of shooting (even against Brets - eat poison stupid horses!). I origanlly like many people thought it was a stupid choice and took him once and now I will never play a game over 2k without him.

Krog Ironclaw
17-02-2007, 09:49
I take one in my Tomb Kings army. Mostly for the effects of the BSB, I generally dont give him a specific banner though, just the War Banner. I also take a Wight Lord in VC (I use the same model, fits with the fluff for my army) and give it the Banner that makes the unit cause terror.

Mad Makz
17-02-2007, 10:05
I would really only see his use in a Construct Heavy Army.

In general I would probably mount him on a horse, in a unit of Ushabti, with the Armour of the Ages to get +1 wound. 3 Wounds, Toughness 4, two strength 4 attacks with Killing Blow and one strength 3 attack (horse), 4+ Armour Save, in a unit which suffers two less wounds due to combat resolution, is pretty powerful.

Another Configuration I would consider him in is in a big chariot unit if I was going for a huge point sink unit for a bit of a change up.

Take a High Liche Priest, two Tomb Princes, and an Icon Bearer.

Mount the Two Tomb Princes and the Icon Bearer in chariots and put them all in one unit of 3 chariots, with a Standard with the Warbanner and a banner of the Sacred Eye on the Icon Bearer. Static combat resolution of 3, + Impact Hits, Plus attacks at +1 to hit, Fear causing, unit strength 21.
Give one Tomb Prince the Flail of Skulls, the other the Scorpion Armour.

Your High Liche Priest has the Hieratic Jar so you can throw in one turn in the game 1 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 dice at the unit to get a key charge off - most opponents aren't going to be able to stop 11 powerdice.

Totally ridiculous eggs in one basket tactic - but call to see the look on the opponents face. :) Just fear the canons. :)

Von Wibble
17-02-2007, 10:35

Yes, I'd forgotten about the extra +1 in combat. That means in terms of effect on combat an icon bearer is as good as a tomb prince (1 less attack counteed by extra +1), so hes a cheaper version with no incantation but an army standard and magic killing blow weapon. In a Liche High Priest army I can see some uses for him...

Just to comment on the optionsd for magic banners suggested

Standard of the Sands will only buy 1 extra shooting phase. Worth it if you have a defensive setup and plenty of magic i supoose but not one I'd go for.

Mirage Standard and Icon of the Sacred Eye - 2 nice items that could be effectively deployed with Ushabti. I don't like tehlatter on Tomb Guard as it only affects the 1st round of combat and these guys
tend to be either in a scenario where they would win without it, or where they are in a long slogathon.

Banner of the Hidden Dead has obvious uses - the 1 time I did have an Icon Bearer I used the unit in this plus Icon of Rakaph Tomb Guard in the flank to murder his main unit.

Icon of Rakaph - best on Tomb Guard who already can have it.

Standard of the Cursing Word - I like this item as it can usually kill off a knight or 2 if I am charging chariots + character into knights. But I tend to give it to chariots as the base size is much bigger so more models are affected.

So I think well worth it if you have a liche high priest (or Settra) or want to support Ushabti. I can see 3 good banners for him - hidden dead, mirage and sacred eye - the latter 2 if used with Ushabti.

My reason for posting was that I had finally got round to painting my mounted Icon bearer and didn't just want it on the shelf!

FatOlaf
17-02-2007, 18:15

Well put! You have actually convinced me to give him another go, just not sure whether to put him in with the TG with a war banner or next to some hungry Ushabti with the +1 to hit banner???

Esco Thomson
18-02-2007, 17:15
It's honestly not his survivability that I am disappointed with, it is the fact that he contributes nothing to my magic phase, in an army where everyone should be pulling there weight, I don't know who told him it was ok to slack off and swap incantations for holding a stick with a flag on it.

dominic_carrillo
19-02-2007, 01:12
It's honestly not his survivability that I am disappointed with, it is the fact that he contributes nothing to my magic phase, in an army where everyone should be pulling there weight, I don't know who told him it was ok to slack off and swap incantations for holding a stick with a flag on it.

agreed. get a priest

skavenman
19-02-2007, 05:05
If I know im going into a tourny with a comp score, I take one just because if I take my normal King and 3 Liches comp score kills me. Granted I use magic and carrion to destroy any enemy war machiens turn 1 which annoys the hell out of me opponents.

EvC
19-02-2007, 11:45
Wow, if people are so unwilling to take an Icon Bearer now, they must have been non-existent in 6th edition without the bonus CR... (Although they'd have still given +1CR in a unit of Ushabti, so maybe not)

Esco Thomson
19-02-2007, 12:30
Wow, if people are so unwilling to take an Icon Bearer now, they must have been non-existent in 6th edition without the bonus CR... (Although they'd have still given +1CR in a unit of Ushabti, so maybe not)

They still are for the "most" part non-existent. Most people that I find using say they either think he is cool, or do it for fluff reasons, not that they feel he is good per se.