PDA

View Full Version : Game idea - time limits

mattjgilbert
16-02-2007, 15:36
We were playing the other night and it occured to me how much time people were taking planning their moves. I wonder if it might be a good idea and quite fun to impose a time limit? e.g. Your go to move a model, you have 45 seconds to complete the move.

It would make people think quicker and probably introduce more mistakes :D

Maybe also 30 seconds per model to decide what card it is going to use.

Might be worth a try?

fattdex
16-02-2007, 15:39
Sounds space-hulky!
considering that dogfighting is such a split second decision making task, it's a pretty cool idea.

mattjgilbert
16-02-2007, 16:13
Yeah...Space Hulk came up when I suggested the idea to the guys ;)

ml2sjw
16-02-2007, 18:08
more mistakes.... Yeah thats possible :-p. Personally i wouldn't limit the time to pick the manoeuvre's Might be an idea to have how much longer they take than their opponents affect their chances of winning the iniative say 1 min -1 etc

30 seconds from touching your model to completing the move might be an idea the problem is it oculd be exploited, eg if you were to say you couldn't move any more once 45 seconds has gone then people could stop moving rather than over shoot with enough fake thinking

Morph
16-02-2007, 18:34
As someone who often takes a long time deciding what to do, I'm not the biggest fan of time limits, but I imagine some of my opponents might be.

tanker
17-02-2007, 03:41
I think one of those little chess clocks would be perfect for AI! It is a game about swift air-to-air combat after all.

Tyra_Nid
17-02-2007, 07:23
Yep, one of the guys I have played with was taking almost 5 minutes to decide what maneuvers to pull with 3 Ork Fightas! Made for a very slow game... :p. Id definately be up for a limit, but then I make my AI decisions quite quickly ;)

mageboltrat
17-02-2007, 08:28
Use the timer rules from roborally... get a couple of 30 second egg timers. When one side finishes his manoeuvers he flips the egg timer. If the other player hasn't finished his manoeuvers before the timer ends he gets "straights" on any plane not chosen. Once you flip your timer you can't change your manoeuvers.

Hodge
17-02-2007, 08:54
It would be good to apply a time limit on Phase 1 where manoeuvres are chosen as this is where a pilot commits his aircraft. This is the planning and decision making phase and if you get this wrong, you're FUBAR'd. The movement phase represents action/reaction and the posts above would work well in phase 4.
The chess clock could be used to measure total time used across the turn and whoever takes longest could have a -1 on the next turns inititative roll.
The time allocated to phase 1 could be decreased as the game progresses to represent fatigue or adrenalin/combat drugs wearing off.

Morph
18-02-2007, 11:03
Giving a time limit on planning manoeuvres seems unfair, as people will have varying numbers of ships. Unless you allow a certain amount of time per aircraft. So maybe the total time to chose for a player is 10 seconds x the number of craft.

Binky
19-02-2007, 08:32
Giving a time limit on planning manoeuvres seems unfair, as people will have varying numbers of ships. Unless you allow a certain amount of time per aircraft. So maybe the total time to chose for a player is 10 seconds x the number of craft.

I seem to remember that was how Space Hulk worked, with the amount of time you got being based on the number of Terminators in the mission (and still alive) with bonuses for surviving sergeants etc.

I guess something like that could work with AI with the amount of time being based on various factors, you could even get quite complex with different races getting more or less time, or having rules for tactical control centres etc. giving extra time, or even in a series of linked campaign games have the results of earlier scenarios affect it as well.

Though that's maybe getting a little complex and would need some fairly major planning, especially if you gave bonuses to certain races as that would effect how well they functioned. Though would be quite fluffy, ie. eldar get longer to think to reflect their increased reaction speed etc. and orks got a shorter time due to their rather less sophisticated tactical planning.

mattjgilbert
19-02-2007, 10:37
Aces and double aces should get more time to plan their moves.